Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cbssports: Why The Redskins Should Bench London Fletcher.

Kdiggy

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/01/why-the-redskins-should-bench-london-fletcher/

Reading this article really makes you think.

Our leader on Defense hasn't been able to really do anything.  He has either the most or 2nd most missed tackles on the team.  He can't cover anyone!  And he has started to get run over more and more.  He isn't leading by example anymore.  What are you all thoughts?

I wouldn't completely bench him...spelling him occasionally for Barnett sounds like the best plan, in my opinion.

I agree. You are kind of stuck now.

I think his ship has sailed and was actually against the new contract they gave him a couple years ago. I haven't wanted him back since 2010 or 2011 (I don't remember which season). It's purely on the field, of course. I think he's a HOF player and a great teammate/leader. But my preference was to tab and coach up his replacement during down years when Shanahan first arrived rather than rely on him until he was completely out of gas and be in this exact position when the team was potentially ready to contend.

TD,

I add to that he's making a lot of money this year.

Spot on, gents. 

EDIT:  And please, Kdiggy, do edit the thread title.

Something like:  "CBSSports: Why the Redskins Should Bench London Fletcher" 

This is a great topic for discussion during the bye week, though it seems everyone is on board.

Would've been nice to have a young, healthy, eager Keenan Robinson after watching the first 4 weeks of Fletch. I think a 50-50 split would work best btwn Fletch & Barnett, or since we have RJax coming back, maybe he can step inside for a few plays a game as well. The team isn't tackling particularly well, but Fletch has been down right disgusting. 

man, this one hurts. as someone brought up in another thread, we were saying the same thing last year, and turned out he was slightly injured. then he turned it on the second half of the season. i do think he needs to sit more, to keep him as fresh as possible. im sure the team will figure it out during the bye.

man, this one hurts. as someone brought up in another thread, we were saying the same thing last year, and turned out he was slightly injured. then he turned it on the second half of the season. i do think he needs to sit more, to keep him as fresh as possible. im sure the team will figure it out during the bye.

In his defense, he upped his game during the second half of last year. My concern is that, at his age, one day he will just be what he is...an old man playing against kids (in a football sense). This might be the year when he reaches back for a little extra to close out the year and nothing is there.

Father time is finally tugging on Fletcher's cape. He has given everything he has to this team and to our beloved sport. I will never say a bad word about the guy. Ever.

Something tells me that 59 hasn't had his last great game as a Skin. Something tells me he will make a big play in Dallas next week. That's just the type of player he is.

I also wonder if his lack of snaps in preseason has had anything to do with him getting back into game shape. Probably not much, but something to think about. If he came out gang busters for the rest of the year, it surely wouldn't surprise me.

I know it's tough to balance production vs. loyalty as an organization. But as a fan, it's easy for me. I will enjoy watching him pay the rest of the year, and salute him when he walks off the field for the last time. He's earned that from me. Give 'em hell Fletch.

Would not be surprised in the least to see Jackson get a look at some ILB. London is a class act and it's tough for me to admit it, but he has certainly been a liability this year so far.

I've seen this brought up a few times. Jackson would probably be better vs the run and on blitzes, but he's quite large for an ILB. Would he really be an upgrade in coverage?

I've got nothing but respect for the guy but I think age and injuries are taking it's toll. He's been a leader for the team since he arrived and I hope he can still be the strong locker room presence as he ease into retirement. I  wonder if the off-season surgeries are just too much to come back from. I don't care what anyone says, there's no such thing as a minor surgery, and this is the first time he's had to deal with something like that.

Father Time may have caught up to Fletch, but there's no substituting his field leadership.

The man has seen and done it all, so benching him IMO would be a setback. As others mentioned, maybe

splitting time with another LB would be ok, but to sit him down period is not a good idea. Players go through spells of inaccuracy or bad judgement, and its not just 59 missing a tackle, its the entire defense.

I think he's a man who knows when his time is up, and when that time comes, I hope he takes on a coaching position; Jackson and others could use a guy like him who has 'been there done that'...

I've seen this brought up a few times. Jackson would probably be better vs the run and on blitzes, but he's quite large for an ILB. Would he really be an upgrade in coverage?

A fair question to ask.  I'd say Jackson has shown proficiency in coverage in his limited starting role...I would question his ability to lead a defense more than his performance ability.  Perhaps Perry Riley could get the D lined up? 

A fair question to ask. I'd say Jackson has shown proficiency in coverage in his limited starting role...I would question his ability to lead a defense more than his performance ability. Perhaps Perry Riley could get the D lined up?

Yeah I think the plan has always to be for Perry to slide into Fletcher's role when he was ready to hang em up.

Regarding coverage, I have a question for Xs and Os guys. Are coverage responsibilities substantially different in our defense between an OLB and ILB? I'd think the ILB would be responsible for covering more ground but that's my impression rather than a fact.

In his defense, he did have offseason surgery for the first time EVER, and as we know he's no spring chicken, so maybe it's just taking some time for him to get back to form.  We are being patient with our young QB, so considering what Fletcher has done for this team, I think he deserves that as well.  I'm not opposed to bringing in Barnett to spell him a little more, but not to take over. But then if he is no better by mid-season, then this discussion is valid.

Regarding coverage, I have a question for Xs and Os guys. Are coverage responsibilities substantially different in our defense between an OLB and ILB? I'd think the ILB would be responsible for covering more ground but that's my impression rather than a fact.

It depends on who is in there.

Most of the time the OLBs have containment responsibility on running plays, and outside pass rush on passing plays. There are a small number of snaps per game when the strong-side guy has man-to-man cover responsibility on the TE.

However, last year, when Jackson was in for Orakpo, he spent more time in zone coverage. This is probably because Jackson isn't a very good pass rusher, but is a very good cover LB. Orakpo isn't a very good cover guy, but is an excellent pass rusher.

Haslett mostly has Fletcher drop into zone coverage, while Riley has a gap assignment, although he changes things around a lot. I hate it when they run a Tampa-2, and you end up with Fletcher trying to keep up with a WR.

Father time is finally tugging on Fletcher's cape. He has given everything he has to this team and to our beloved sport. I will never say a bad word about the guy. Ever.

Something tells me that 59 hasn't had his last great game as a Skin. Something tells me he will make a big play in Dallas next week. That's just the type of player he is.

I also wonder if his lack of snaps in preseason has had anything to do with him getting back into game shape. Probably not much, but something to think about. If he came out gang busters for the rest of the year, it surely wouldn't surprise me.

I know it's tough to balance production vs. loyalty as an organization. But as a fan, it's easy for me. I will enjoy watching him pay the rest of the year, and salute him when he walks off the field for the last time. He's earned that from me. Give 'em hell Fletch.

X2. Well said.

I disagree.

While London has struggled, he's still an amazing field general for this defense. But let's not single out London, just about every player on the defense has struggled to make tackles.

However Perry Riley is somehow 6th in the NFL in total tackles (London is 15th).

Archived