Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Week 4 Redskins Mvp? That Depends

IMO the bye is the week 4 MVP. It's our best chance fro guys to pull their heads out of the rear ends and get back to playing football. Yes this was a much needed win. But it was hardly a statement. We were down 14 pts to a team missing half their starting Off!! 

Sorry if I am not that excited. They have 2 weeks to be the team they were down the stretch last year. If they don't find that groove, if they come out like they did the first 4 games, we will be 4-12 or worse in a heart beat.

well i think its funny that its only defensive players that were picked as being mvps on a poll .

they all had great games and if they can put that effort the rest of the season our defense will be scary but

i agree the Coach Shannahan it was a team effort !!!

IMO the bye is the week 4 MVP. It's our best chance fro guys to pull their heads out of the rear ends and get back to playing football. Yes this was a much needed win. But it was hardly a statement. We were down 14 pts to a team missing half their starting Off!! 

Sorry if I am not that excited. They have 2 weeks to be the team they were down the stretch last year. If they don't find that groove, if they come out like they did the first 4 games, we will be 4-12 or worse in a heart beat.

I hear ya....& I think you're right, but if you saw the game (you still in China?) you would've seen a much improved Orakpo complementing Kerrigan. They fed off each other & were playing very well together. The D line played very well getting to the QB all game long. The D as a whole held the Raiders to 104 total rushing yards & under 200 passing yards. That's not shabby. As a team we only committed 3 penalties. Again, not too shabby.

I do agree that if we come out after the bye as flat as we have been, a 4-12 season is possible. But if you think of it this way, RG3 has just finished his preseason. He has 4 games under his belt now, equivalent to what he missed out on during PS, so hopefully he's knocked off all the rust & can settle down a little. I expect him to be in full swing now so he should come out after the bye hitting on all cylinders. I think it's a little too early yet to hit the panic button.

HTTR!!!

Hail canada - This was the first game I saw on TV. I was at the Lions game (got to sit in a suite! That part was cool!). 

Just to be argumentative, because well I don't have anything better to do.... :-)   Oakland was missing their starting LT and LG. for those playing at home that would be raks side. They also lost their starting RB and FB by early in the 2nd Q, so no running game to worry about. Flynn is already sad but with no oline and no running game he was a sitting duck (didn't someone say we should go for flynn at all cost! Not you canada, someone else I am sure of it.)

rak has 32.5 lifetime sacks in 53 games (about 0.6/gm). He has 6 of those in 2 games against Oakland. That's 19% of his total sacks in 4% of his  games! So, as long as he can play oakland every game he is a beast!  Unfortunately there are 30 other teams he has to play against. Removing those 6 sacks in 2 games he has 26.5 sacks in 51 gms or 0.5/gm!!!  That's pretty sad for a guy whose primary role is to, well uh get sacks!

If they have the same day against dallast, chicago, or/and denver, then I would become a believer. But against a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers! Sorry I am just not getting too excited. Rak was also over playing running plays and out of position, just not as much. Add to that, coefield and kerrigan are having pro-bowl seasons even on a bad D, rak can't help but look at least OK.

Not hitting the panic button, just providing my thoughts. I do think the Off will come out much more alive after the break. RGIII has looked tentative and unsure. But each game he gets better. So I agree his preseason just ended. My bigger concern on Off is the oline. I know hawk showed some data suggesting polumbus is doing a good job. Tell that to RGIII who i saw running for his life 2 straight games (4 actually but I didn't watch the other 2 real time). Every big play polumbus gets trucked.

Finally, I hope all those who wanted danny smith gone are happy. Our STs was in the upper half of all categories last year. This year we suck, period. The only place we look good is KO returns and that's only because potter is putting every ball out of the back of the end zone.

This team still can be great. There is plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. But

rak has 32.5 lifetime sacks in 53 games (about 0.6/gm). He has 6 of those in 2 games against Oakland. That's 19% of his total sacks in 4% of his games! So, as long as he can play oakland every game he is a beast! Unfortunately there are 30 other teams he has to play against. Removing those 6 sacks in 2 games he has 26.5 sacks in 51 gms or 0.5/gm!!! That's pretty sad for a guy whose primary role is to, well uh get sacks!

I hope you don't mind me intervening here but on Orakpo, His primary role is to get pressure and disrupt the QB. Sacks are certainly a big part of his game. However, QB Hurries and QB Hits are also as important. Currently this season Orapo is tied for 6th in QB Hurries with 11, 2nd in QB hits with 5. PFF has him rated higer than Kerrigan overall at 13. One of the areas I think Orakpo has improved on in his career is in coverage. He made a great coverage play at Oakland with a near interception and PFF has him higher than most including Kerrigan in coverage. I wished he pulled the ball in but at least he showed the ability to read and react tot the QB. Granted he is not among the elite in coverage or run at his position but he has shown sigificant improvement in those two areas this season which is not bad considering he did not play most of last season due to injury. He aslo had a great run stop on 3rd down, I think, for a loss. Out of all the missed tackles I've seen from this defense during the regular season, Orakpo has not been one of them to contribute with this issue.

Ironically, I share some of your same frustrations about Orakpo as you do but his overall numbers shows a better reflection of the impact he has in his performance than just sacks. I do want to see Orakpo get by some of elite tackles in the NFL and I'll agree I have not seen the same dominance with better quality players that he has with inferior ones. I'll hold my opinion on Orakpo's value later in the season. I still have some hope he can elevate his game to be among the elites OLBs in the NFL. I know he is not there but I haven't completely given up on him yet. And that's contrary to my own opinion during the offseason about considering the possibly of trading or cutting him to make more cap space  :)

Add to that, coefield and kerrigan are having pro-bowl seasons even on a bad D, rak can't help but look at least OK.

I haven't paid detailed attention to Orakpo in games but according to the guys that claim they do at PFF, Orakpo has higher numbers than Kerrigan on both coverage and run. Kerrigan run figures are actually in the negative on that site. I think with Kerrigan he has had a much better share of the big plays. At this point I prefer Kerrigan over Orakpo but Orakpo overall performance may not be that far away the two brightest spots on our defense.

I know hawk showed some data suggesting polumbus is doing a good job.

His numbers are showing to be only average but a big step up from next to last the prior season. We still need a replacement for Polumbus to better protect RG3 but at least he is not a consistent revolving door for blitzing DEs like he was last season.

Archived