Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Battlefield 4

EBoz

Is anybody else as excited for this game as I am? I still play Battlefield 3 regularly but I'm really looking forward to tomorrow as the beta will be released.

The beta starts tomorrow for some people and the open beta is available on Oct. 4th. I've posted a link below to give you an idea of when you will get the beta if interested.

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-beta-dates/

Yup cant wait. Have mine pre-ordered. But not playing the beta. Usually play the beta non-stop and then when the game comes out i get sick of it. 

I've got mine pre-ordered as well. Are you on Xbox? I will be checking out the beta although I see your point about getting sick of it. It will only be one map involved in the beta I believe so I'm going to play it and see how it goes. 

Yup, xbox. And yea when the last two BF betas came out my buddies and i played operation Metro....and even further back Bad Company 2 map about a million times. lol

Planning on staying busy with GTA online. I know BF is going to be awesome

Yeah man I'm on the Xbox as well. I did the same when the BF3 beta came out. I have Bad Company 2 as well and still play it time to time.

Doesn't the GTA V multiplayer come out tomorrow as well? 

Playing the beta right now.  Pretty cool seeing the office building come down, shakes the whole map. 

The UI layout is different and a bit frustrating considering how well thought out the UI was in BF3. Haven't got the hang of custimization of my soldiers yet.  Weapons seem to be cool.  The SCAR-H is devastating.  Also, there are battlepacks you earn which give you items/camos/attachments.  Sometimes it's hard to see what's going on due to HUD overlay, i.e. "A" on the screen blocking enemy silhouettes.   I'll brief more when I know more.

Also - the graphics are not that great, again it's the beta on XBOX and there was no texture pack install from what I can see.

Two modes available on two map variations in Shanghai.  Domination with or without vehicles.  Without is a whole lot more fun considering the choppers are impossible to bring down without a whole fireteam of engineers firing in volleys.

Engineer - Tanks are weaker than BF3.  A well placed rpg in the rear disabled, another in the side killed.  No mines from what I saw. Starting weapon is a PDW and has low ammo, but VERY effective at close range.  RPG seems accurate at ranges of about 100m, sometimes they trail off but that is to be expected.

Assault - Starting weapon is ok.  Start with the M203 grenade launcher.  I unlocked the SCAR-H.  Beastly, but the iron sights suck.  You have to unlock paddles, you start with medpacks.  They only work for 1 soldier, no more spamming heals for points, you have to drop a lot of packs for the same score.

Support - not as good as BF3 IMO, and I've played a LOT of support.  Starter weapon is ok. Ammo crate has a cool look to it.

Recon - didn't play it much, the scope fades out at long distance and round to round dispersion seems to be in effect, which is cool - yet frustrating when lining up headshots.  The semi auto rifle eats me alive.  I'll try and unlock that this weekend and report on it.

I'll update more after I play more.

HTTR

The only thing I didn't like about BF3 is when the servers changed from Dice to just random private servers with custom rules. Does anyone know if this is going to happen again. I just want to play a normal game that doesn't last an hour because the owner of the server set it to 1000 tickets.

The only thing I didn't like about BF3 is when the servers changed from Dice to just random private servers with custom rules. Does anyone know if this is going to happen again. I just want to play a normal game that doesn't last an hour because the owner of the server set it to 1000 tickets.

You can guarantee the rental servers will be back in BF4. It's a huge money maker for the developer. They charge $30 a month to rent one so they are rolling in the dough. I actually rented on for a month but didn't see a reason to continue it as there are so many servers out there to play on.

As for the BF4 beta I'm quite disappointed. I know this is not near what the actual BF4 release will be but I remember the BF3 beta being much better. I'm glad I didn't pre-order as I would like to see how the final product is before spending any money on it. 

I hate how they changed all the controls. You can change them back to BF3 settings somewhat in the options menu but some buttons, and the one that annoys me the most, is that the select button used to be the spot function on the 360 and now it's RB I can't tell you how many times I've hit select to try and spot someone only to have the battlelog pop up. You can disable the battlelog feature in the options menu but after having so many hours on BF3 using the select button as spot it's hard to get used to RB now. . 

I hate how they changed all the controls. You can change them back to BF3 settings somewhat in the options menu but some buttons, and the one that annoys me the most, is that the select button used to be the spot function on the 360 and now it's RB I can't tell you how many times I've hit select to try and spot someone only to have the battlelog pop up. You can disable the battlelog feature in the options menu but after having so many hours on BF3 using the select button as spot it's hard to get used to RB now. . 

I went to knife a dude and spotted him lol, I know your pain.

Been playing the beta on PC, I'm so so about it.

I'm on the Xbox but I've been watching guys streaming it on PC and the difference is night and day. Not a huge surprise to me. You PC guys at least get boats and attack heli's in the beta as well as two more objectives to play. I'm sure the final product will be amazing. I keep telling myself this is only a beta. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bought it and was super excited until I got home and found out there's a 2GB install required that HAS to go on the hard drive. Sucks if you own an Xbox slim that didn't come with a hard drive. Bought one online with one day shipping and now waiting for it to arive so I can play.

I'm really disappointed in this game so far, all kinds of server problems, constantly getting disconnected.

Add to that it just seems like they totally left out features for multiplayer, as far as I can tell you can't mess with your class loadout unless you are in a match.

And the worst thing is I see no way to join a match with friends, you basically have to search for one with enough open slots and then send out invites to your friends and hope they can get in.

How do you leave stuff like that out of a game that 99% of people who buy it are only getting it for the multiplayer?

If I'm missing something here please guys let me know.

I'm really disappointed in this game so far, all kinds of server problems, constantly getting disconnected.

Add to that it just seems like they totally left out features for multiplayer, as far as I can tell you can't mess with your class loadout unless you are in a match.

And the worst thing is I see no way to join a match with friends, you basically have to search for one with enough open slots and then send out invites to your friends and hope they can get in.

How do you leave stuff like that out of a game that 99% of people who buy it are only getting it for the multiplayer?

If I'm missing something here please guys let me know.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%.  And are the server options different?  Cause this is the first time Ive played BF on the PS3, I usually play all my shooters on PC.  I want to play on a server that is 24/7 for a certain map and have say 300 tickets, but I cant seem to find one like they have on PC. Or did back in the day.  Is that even possible on PS3 console?

Yeah, I agree with you 100%.  And are the server options different?  Cause this is the first time Ive played BF on the PS3, I usually play all my shooters on PC.  I want to play on a server that is 24/7 for a certain map and have say 300 tickets, but I cant seem to find one like they have on PC. Or did back in the day.  Is that even possible on PS3 console?

As far a I know there is currently no way to play the same map over and over, with BF3 eventually Dice let people rent servers and then you could set up something custom like you mention.

So I bought the game not knowing I would need a special xbox hard drive.  Go back out and buy a non xbox external hard drive for half the price on the advise of some idiot at best buy only to take it home for it not to work either.  Im fed up with this game and I havent even played it yet lol.  Gonna just return all of this **** I bought.  No way Im dropping 130 on a ****ing hd for this game.

Game is absolutely horrible on the current gen consoles. I mean everything about it sucks. Gameplay, server browsing and graphics are all horrible. With that being said, BF4 was not really made for current gen and I have no doubt it will be amazing on both the PS4 and XB1.

I am not happy with having to pay 50 extra for BF4 premium even though you already got it for PC. That's like 110 dollars for the full game. How can they do this?

Amen bro.  I typically buy my shooters on PC, but went with console simply because I hate how Dice has made the interface through a web browser, I actually hated it in BF3 too.  But it's the same on PS3, I went to purchase the premium pass and it was another $50 and I paid $60 for the damn game.  It's bull**** if you ask me.  If anything, offer a premium edition bundle for say $80.  

Game is absolutely horrible on the current gen consoles. I mean everything about it sucks. Gameplay, server browsing and graphics are all horrible. With that being said, BF4 was not really made for current gen and I have no doubt it will be amazing on both the PS4 and XB1.

It's not horrible on PS3, imo.  It's not as smooth as CoD BO2, but I'm still diggin it.  The good thing is I get the digital download version for PS4 for only $9.99 and have until March 2014 to cash in on it.  After talking to my wife, I unfortunately have to wait until first of the year to get my PS4.  

Also, I plan to buy CoD Ghosts tomorrow and get the same package ($9.99 for PS4 digital version).  

Archived