Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

That would very interesting if that happened.  I do think if Elizabeth Warren runs, she would beat Hillary, since she is closer to the base of the Dems.

Except she has absolutely zero foreign affairs experience...a deal-breaker for me.

Wish Jim Webb would throw his hat in the ring. He & O'Malley would make a formidable team, I think.

Except she has absolutely zero foreign affairs experience...a deal-breaker for me.

Wish Jim Webb would throw his hat in the ring. He & O'Malley would make a formidable team, I think.

Jim Webb is too right for the Dems I think..    One thing that will be a big hangover over any Dem candidate, even Hillary; Obama fatigue. I still favor the Dems baring an economic collasp right before the election but he's going to be drag on a candidate.   If Mr. Klein's book is true; then would an Obama clone be what people want in 2016.   

Hillary would remind more people of Bill.

• 3 months later...

I think it would be a mistake for the Dems to go with Hillary Clinton.   I mean, if she wins the nomination then obviously, she is the Candidate but I don't know if she could win the Presidency.   The War on Women angle seems to be losing steam so I think she would have to find a new platform to run on.   There are obviously other things she could focus on but would they be successful?

This kinda reminds me of where the GOP was at in 2008.  I look around and I don't see a lot of options for the Democrats as an alternative at this point.   Fortunately, the election is two years away.  Nobody saw Barack Obama coming so it's possible. 

This kinda reminds me of where the GOP was at in 2008.  I look around and I don't see a lot of options for the Democrats as an alternative at this point.   Fortunately, the election is two years away.  Nobody saw Barack Obama coming so it's possible. 

No one saw Clinton coming, or Carter.  Democrats need to be inspired by something new and different.  Their voting bloc is fickle and will not turn out otherwise.

No one saw Clinton coming, or Carter.  Democrats need to be inspired by something new and different.  Their voting bloc is fickle and will not turn out otherwise.

No, I think both Clinton and Carter were much different then was Obama.   Clinton was Governor of Arkansas for 14 years. Carter, I could agree with a bit more but still, he was Governor of Georgia for 4 but had been involved in politics since 1963.   Obama had not even finished his first term in the Senate, prior to becoming President.  

On to the 2016 Presidential Race and the Race to be POTUS #45.

I think I found my 2016 candidate already:

http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/04/gary-johnson-ill-run-in-2016-to-provide

Gary Johnson in 2016!!!!

He was my 2012 vote. It was my way of saying eff you to the two party system. And he's right, nothing will ever change as long as those two parties are the only one's who continue to win.

Hillary. And it should be an easy win for her. She can just pull the same card Obama did, except instead of calling non-voters racists, you simply call them sexist.

The GOP will basically kill themselves in the next two years by cutting as much welfare as possible. Only DoD will get spending. They'll insist on supporting innane social policies that most people don't want. And Hillary will sweep in, probably with Warren at her side, and get elected on beating back big business, giving the middle class more money, and beating the good old boys network.

The key for the GoP is whether a centrist candidate can make it through the primaries. If they can they have a shot.

Assume you mean "without having to spend a year denying that they are, or ever have been, moderate about anything". :)

The GOP will basically kill themselves in the next two years by cutting as much welfare as possible. Only DoD will get spending. They'll insist on supporting innane social policies that most people don't want. And Hillary will sweep in, probably with Warren at her side, and get elected on beating back big business, giving the middle class more money, and beating the good old boys network.

I'll bite my lip & take that. (Would prefer Webb or O'Malley) Especially knowing the platform of the GOP...as you said, social policies that most people don't want. If that's my only other option, I'd have to vote for her.

Now, just my opinion. (Maybe this belongs in the "Kilmer's road map to fix the GOP" thread.)

If the GOP are smart, what they do is, not much.

Repeal Obamacare. Pass some small tax cuts. Increase DoD pork spending. But nothing major.

The economy's been getting better for years. But the voters don't think it has. Defecits are like 1/3 what they were when Obama took office. The country has been getting better, without anybody really doing a thing, to make it better. But it's been getting better in ways the voters haven't noticed.

Pass some token things, and the odds are overwhelming that the country will keep getting better.

And I think the odds are pretty good that the GOP can convince enough people that they did it.

(It won't be true. But they've got some really good salesmen, and one heck of a spin machine. As I read once, "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, and that is sufficient.")

But it all depends on whether they can keep the crazys hidden. They did it for a year, and it got them the Senate. But can they keep them locked up?

No, I think both Clinton and Carter were much different then was Obama.   Clinton was Governor of Arkansas for 14 years. Carter, I could agree with a bit more but still, he was Governor of Georgia for 4 but had been involved in politics since 1963.   Obama had not even finished his first term in the Senate, prior to becoming President.  

Clinton was Governor of a nothing state (politically).  To suggest he would be President 2 years prior to his election would have brought laughs from even the most savvy.  Once he got his foot in the door, he was impossible to stop.  He was young and hip.  Still, he would not have won without Perot in the race.   Any other Democratic candidate would not have won WITH Perot in the race.

Larry, do you mention repealing the ACA because that's what you believe should be done, or because you think that's what the people truly want?  Just asking.

Neither.

I think it's what the GOP wants. (And, depending on the polls, not even a lot of them.)

But they've really committed themselves to it. It's pretty much the one thing they promised to do, if they got elected. (Well, that and prevent ISIS from carrying Ebola across the border from Mexico.)

I think it's something that their base will demand. And the main electorate won;t kick up too much of a fuss about. (If the general populace was actually terrified about losing Obamacare, they would have shown up to vote, and the GOP wouldn't have won so much.)

I don't think there's a way in the world that Obamacare still exists on, say, April 15th.

Clinton was known for two things - not running in 88 because he feared the extramarital scandals that had run Gary Hart off and for the overly long and boring speech he gave nominating his friend, Dukakis. The real suprise is that Clinton was able to pass Gore in 92 since Gore did run in 88 and didn't implode like Clinton did on the stage that night.

Obama was known for the knockout speech he gave as the keynote speaker at the 2004 DNC. He was the up and comer for the Dems and everyone knew it.

• 1 month later...

And the first GOP possible candidate to get things started for 2016? Jeb Bush.

You act like the campaigning and jockeying didn't start 5 years ago. :)

For example, Chris Chritie has been getting raked over the coals on the Daily Show, for recently vetoing a bill that passed the NJ Senate by a vote of 23-1, and which is supported by 93% of NJ voters, so that he could suck up to the pig farmer lobby in Iowa.

Heck, I strongly suspect that, when Daddy Bush was in the White House, and W and Jeb decided that gee, they really wanted to move to the two largest (in electoral votes) Republican states in the US, it was with the intention of becoming Governors, so they could run for President.

Archived