Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senator Ted Cruz (R-Tx) Is Fillibustering On Cspan2.

Gallen5862

I could be wrong, but I thought Paul was the first one to actually filibuster something in quite some time?  

He is not actually filibustering, the vote scheduled tomorrow is happening.  He is grandstanding.

Here is my question:  Cruz supported the bill passed by the House, now he wants to prevent cloture (41 vote threshold) because he realizes he does not have the 50 votes needed to prevent Reid from stripping the Obamacare defund and sending it back to the House,  But doesn't it just bounce back to the House anyway if he kills the bill he pushed for?

He is not actually filibustering, the vote scheduled tomorrow is happening. He is grandstanding.

Here is my question: Cruz supported the bill passed by the House, now he wants to prevent cloture (41 vote threshold) because he realizes he does not have the 50 votes needed to prevent Reid from stripping the Obamacare defund and sending it back to the House, But doesn't it just bounce back to the House anyway if he kills the bill he pushed for?

Nah. If the Senate doesn't vote on it, then it just sits in their inbox.

Actually, I'm going to back up Sen. Cruz on that part-time point. My hours were cut a few weeks ago due to the new law and because of it, I still have to live with my parents (when, frankly, I'd rather be living on my own). I can only work 27 hours a week at my gig when before I was clocking in 35-39 hours every week.

Kinda sucks, not gonna lie.

Having said that, I've said time and again that I'm more than willing to support Obamacare if it turns out it helps more people than it hurts, especially the people it's supposed to help (the middle and lower class). I may even refer to the "Market Place" it will set up once the time comes for me to purchase my own Health Insurance.

So far, though, my first interaction with it has not been a positive one.

Ok, it is dead in the Senate's inbox. Wouldn't it fall on the House to send something new up to prevent (or end) a shutdown?

No, history says that the next step is that both parties then try to say it's the other party's fault. Then they check the polling data to see if their finger-pointing is working.

This is probably a good way to see who's thinking about running, in 16.

Actually, I'm going to back up Sen. Cruz on that part-time point. My hours were cut a few weeks ago due to the new law and because of it, I still have to live with my parents (when, frankly, I'd rather be living on my own). I can only work 27 hours a week at my gig when before I was clocking in 35-39 hours every week.

Kinda sucks, not gonna lie.

Having said that, I've said time and again that I'm more than willing to support Obamacare if it turns out it helps more people than it hurts, especially the people it's supposed to help (the middle and lower class). I may even refer to the "Market Place" it will set up once the time comes for me to purchase my own Health Insurance.

So far, though, my first interaction with it has not been a positive one.

If you are still living with your parents and you are under 26, you can still be covered under your parents' insurance, thanks to the Affordable Care Act.  Without the law, you'd be SOL too.

If you are still living with your parents and you are under 26, you can still be covered under your parents' insurance, thanks to the Affordable Care Act.  Without the law, you'd be SOL too.

While that might be, I don't know if my hours would've been cut. Now, whether that's the law's fault or my employer's fault, I don't know (actually, that would make for a good Political rorschach test, but that's for another time).

This isn't so much about the impact it's having on health care, but the impact it's having on labor. I don't like the fact that I can only work 27 hours a week at just over minimum wage, but that's what I have to deal with right now since every prospect I've had for full time work has fallen through (so far).

As I said before, though, if this law ends up helping more than it hurts, you won't hear a peep out of me apart from praise.

Employers have been cutting employees' hours for a long time.  When I worked at Sears in the early 70s, they also cut hourly workers hours when laws first mandated the number of hours that qualified for benefits like vacation time and medical benefits and some retirement benefits.  Most hourly workers were reassigned to part time status so they didn't qualify, just like employers are doing now.  Of course, management personnel (salaried employees) were still eligible for benefits.  So this cutting of hours is nothing new.  Lots of other employers did the same thing.  Better to deal with more employees than heaven forfend that a business cut into its bottom line and provide benefits for full time employees.

I'm sorry you are going through this situation.  It's what happens when increased profits and management salaries are more important than having a happy, loyal workforce.  After I was "downsized" twice, my loyalty to a company is now non-existent and I'm self-employed.

Employers have been cutting employees' hours for a long time.  When I worked at Sears in the early 70s, they also cut hourly workers hours when laws first mandated the number of hours that qualified for benefits like vacation time and medical benefits and some retirement benefits.  Most hourly workers were reassigned to part time status so they didn't qualify, just like employers are doing now.  Of course, management personnel (salaried employees) were still eligible for benefits.  So this cutting of hours is nothing new.  Lots of other employers did the same thing.  Better to deal with more employees than heaven forfend that a business cut into its bottom line and provide benefits for full time employees.

I'm sorry you are going through this situation.  It's what happens when increased profits and management salaries are more important than having a happy, loyal workforce.  After I was "downsized" twice, my loyalty to a company is now non-existent and I'm self-employed.

Just like a good Republican.   Instead of whining and expecting someone else to pay your way,  you've taken the initiative to do it on your own.   More should follow your example.   There is still opportunity in this country for the motivated.

Given the fact that none of my employees give a **** about the bottom line, your post is accurate and fun :)

My employees don't care about issues with government costs which push me to take away benefits.  They only care about what can I get and what's in it for me.  Screw the company.  I am owed what I am owed, screw the company and their desire to remain in business.

so technically he's not filibustering anymore.

It was never an actual filibuster. The entire thing is a fake publicity stunt. It worked.

Best meme I have seen today - "Hey Ted, im gonna let you finish - but Wendy Davis had the best filibuster ever."

Ahh, does anyone remember the dark ages of 2007-2009 when employers cut tons of hours and didn't even have Obamacare to blame, THE HORROR?

He's still going (1:30 AM). 

I have no problem with him protesting in this form, I had no problem with what Rand Paul did on the drones issue and what Bernie Sanders did on the tax issue a couple years ago. 

I wonder if the GOP would trade some sequestration relief for 1-year delay in Obamacare? 

Mike Lee talking about thermostats malfunctioning while being a clerk at the United States Supreme Court... the punchline is that the thermostat was installed backwards.  Too bad they don't allow a live audience on the Senate floor. 

Wow, he's funny.  "I grew up in a large family, 7 children.... only in Utah that's a medium-sized family."  Talking about his dad running over his foot with his Oldsmobile.... "sometimes when you are doing something that harms someone, you have to reverse..." segue into Obamacare attack, "We need to put this car in reverse."

Talking about how gun control legislation was inevitable and they were able to fight it back.... even though it was impossible and they had to accept it.

The people on #C-SpanChat are DRIVING ME CRAZY talking about these "real Americans" and shutting down a "rogue government".  Yes, a low duly enacted by both legislative bodies and signed by the President is "rogue". 

It's so ironic to hear Sen. Lee talking about how "large national governments can't do some things very well...".  About that Medicare! 

Lee explaining what a cloture vote means and why he's going to be voting no on the cloture vote. 

He wants up-down vote or an open amendment process. 

Look buddy, the rules of the Senate are the Senate could move forward and move forward on cloture.  Oh... I see he asked a question to Senator Cruz on it.  And here comes Cruz!

Him going off on people "not listening to the American people".  What did the re-election of Obama mean!?  OK time for quotes from right-wing think tanks!

Palmetto Polcy Forum (Jim Demint!)

Libertas Institue (right-wing "liberty based" organization")

Thomas Jefferson Institute.

At least he's also attacking Medicaid... oh under Obamacare!

Archived