Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Quick Thoughts: O/d

KDawg

Not sure I'll have time this week to go through it like I always do (I'll watch the coaches film when it comes out, but not sure if I'll be able to do it with any kind of certainty).

Offense:

a. Griffin was MUCH better. He threw the ball with some zip and on target, putting the ball in places where his receivers could make a play. He looked a lot more like RG3 out there, and I think we should see the return of the RG3 we REALLY know next week against Oakland.

b. Griffin had some plays where he could have stepped up in the pocket, and some plays where he threw total lame ducks, but all in all he played halfway decent. The interception was bad (throw the ball away) and the fumble was awful (slide), but I'm not sure anyone with a sane mind can pin this on Griffin.

c. I have been a total advocate for the offensive line all season. They're not as bad as people make them out to be. Yesterday wasn't pretty upon first glance. Montgomery (for the third time this year) was pretty bad. Chester and Polumbus got abused. Maybe I'll find some saving graces when I get to watch the film, but I can't stick up for the OL much this week.

d. Alfred Morris is REALLY, REALLY good. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and specifically for Shanahan... But Morris runs like a once in a generation talent. He finds seams and lanes where you can't see them... he runs through tackles and around them. He's actually a lot faster than people make him out to be.

e. Hankerson is emerging as a very good wide receiver. Next year he should be our #2 without question.

f. Garcon was worth every penny. Moss still contributes.

g. Fred Davis is expendable. I don't like advocating for players to not be resigned, especially good ones like Fred... But Jordan Reed is THAT good.

h. For the most part, I think Kyle Shanahan called a pretty good game! Read option, quick throws, quick PA passes, boots and roll outs. We looked like we did last year. One of the many reasons I think Robert is going to be back to Robert next week.

i. The Aldrick Robinson pass was a THING OF BEAUTY! And good on Robinson for getting open like that. I really can't tell if that ball was "rolling on the ground" but I did see it touch the ground. Which shouldn't matter if the receiver had control of the ball. First glance, I think he had possession and that was a play that the ruling on the field should have stood. Not sure you can confirm that one way or the other with the camera angles I saw. But the ball did hit and move... I'm not sure. I can't keep up with all the NFL rule changes every year ! haha

j. One sequence I didn't like from Kyle Shanahan was inside the five yard line near the end of the game. Three straight passes. Feed the beast. Let Morris run. I probably would have went for it on 4th down inside the five as well, because you're going to need a TD anyways. But that could be hindsight and not fair to say. So I'm saying it... But I'm not judging them for it.

Defense:

a. Rak played his worst game of the season, but I still think ES is too hard on him. He should NEVER, EVER be in man coverage. EVER. If he's going to be in coverage you need to get him out there in zone. It can be said that all zones turn into man, and while that is true, it's a little different than straight man coverage. That touchdown was tough to defend on Rak, as was the lack of wrapping up Bell, but he made some solid TFLs and got his hands in the passing lane, too. He was decent yesterday, he's been overall good on the season.

b. Teams continue to understand that if they get rid of the ball quick and neutralize our front seven, specifically our OLBs in the process, they can have a field day on us. Our secondary is bad, but teams are taking advantage of our soft shell and taking 1 step drops. They also will on occasion take a very deep drop, with the obvious thought process that the 'Skins coverage unit will fail before pressure gets to the QB, and it continues to happen.

c. Riley missed a few tackles in this one. Probably his worst game of the year.

d. Opinion can change with real film, but first glance says that DHall played quite well against Detroit.

e. London Fletcher came out for a bit and Nick Barnett came in. He found himself beat in coverage and missing tackles. Not impressed with Barnett, and London at 346 years old is probably still our best option (that guy is surreal).

f. I'm not sure I've seen Brandon Meriweather attempt a tackle that didn't involve him swan diving.

g. Amerson has had moments of brilliance and moments of "ugh" this year. I like his potential long term. He could be a real good one. But he's a little ways away.

h. I have NO idea what coverage we were in on that long Burleson completion without coaches film. Everyone kind of looked to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Looked like some kind of hybrid coverage... Whatever it was wasn't executed properly. And it probably shouldn't have even been called.

i. Kerrigan was out of position in his zone drop on the late CJ81 TD. I'm not putting much blame on him, he and Rak should be very limited in their coverage duties.

Other Thoughts

1. By rule, the officials got the fumble call right. No one touched RG3. Had someone touched him and he hit the ground and the ball came out, he would have been ruled down by contact. You have to slide feet first in order to give yourself up. That's a rule that's in place to prevent the quarterback from having an unfair advantage in gaining an extra yard or two by diving face first without being able to be contacted.

2. The offense could have been better, but the defense killed us in this game. It's too easy to pitch and catch on us.

j. One sequence I didn't like from Kyle Shanahan was inside the five yard line near the end of the game. Three straight passes. Feed the beast. Let Morris run. I probably would have went for it on 4th down inside the five as well, because you're going to need a TD anyways. But that could be hindsight and not fair to say. So I'm saying it... But I'm not judging them for it.

At that point you have to stay alive.  The FG was the right call.  It gives you a chance for a hail mary afterwards, which we had. 

The redzone and goal to go play calling has to improve now that we aren't playing 11 on 11 with Robert as a runner.  Kyle needs to go back to the lab.

I would've loved a screen pass inside the 10 on that sequence.  Always force teams to make tackles down there because they are in space.  I agree, didn't like the calls.

Defense:

a. Rak played his worst game of the season, but I still think ES is too hard on him. He should NEVER, EVER be in man coverage. EVER. If he's going to be in coverage you need to get him out there in zone. It can be said that all zones turn into man, and while that is true, it's a little different than straight man coverage. That touchdown was tough to defend on Rak, as was the lack of wrapping up Bell, but he made some solid TFLs and got his hands in the passing lane, too. He was decent yesterday, he's been overall good on the season.

Give credit to the Lions, here.  There formations were set up to create those mismatches.

b. Teams continue to understand that if they get rid of the ball quick and neutralize our front seven, specifically our OLBs in the process, they can have a field day on us. Our secondary is bad, but teams are taking advantage of our soft shell and taking 1 step drops. They also will on occasion take a very deep drop, with the obvious thought process that the 'Skins coverage unit will fail before pressure gets to the QB, and it continues to happen.

We saw a lot more press coverage yesterday.  I like that.  If we are going to go in that direction, go big or go home with it.  I liked the scheme and the timing disruption from yesterday.  We need to see more of it.

d. Opinion can change with real film, but first glance says that DHall played quite well against Detroit.

I agree with you here, too.  He did well against the best WR in football.  We limited the damage there which is all you can really hope to do.

h. I have NO idea what coverage we were in on that long Burleson completion without coaches film. Everyone kind of looked to be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Looked like some kind of hybrid coverage... Whatever it was wasn't executed properly. And it probably shouldn't have even been called.

They were confusing Amerson and Wilson all game.  The only real "chunk" yards they got were on that same type of play where they stacked two WR and on one Burleson got the who middle of the field and the other WR would run deep.  I know Amerson got burned and on the other it was either Amerson or Wilson.

Other Thoughts

2. The offense could have been better, but the defense killed us in this game. It's too easy to pitch and catch on us.

Disagree.  Two defensive plays cost us big.  But anytime you turn the ball over twice inside the 30(where you should be expecting points).

Your offense scores 13 and your defense give you another 7.  Your offense has to step up and they didn't.

They looked much better, but they have to get points and be smart with the football.

Nice read, thanks for putting it together.  Disagree on the Defense killed us piece though.  Yeah, they gave up some big plays but overall, I feel like this was their best game.  The offense scored 13 points and made too many mistakes (int, fumble, dropped td).  I think the defense did enough in this one that we should have won.  Again, not great performance but definitely not a killer.

Offense:

a. Griffin was MUCH better. He threw the ball with some zip and on target, putting the ball in places where his receivers could make a play. He looked a lot more like RG3 out there, and I think we should see the return of the RG3 we REALLY know next week against Oakland.

b. Griffin had some plays where he could have stepped up in the pocket, and some plays where he threw total lame ducks, but all in all he played halfway decent. The interception was bad (throw the ball away) and the fumble was awful (slide), but I'm not sure anyone with a sane mind can pin this on Griffin.

Referring to 'b' ;

'the fumble was awful' comment; um, how can you NOT blame him?  Or am I reading it wrong?

Me GHH and Bang are gonna sneak over to RGIII's house and spray paint the street outside his house with " S L I D E "..lol

I had Campbell flashbacks when I saw that; very scary...

Is there a sliding gene or something? I swear it seems like some QBs are literally missing an important piece of genetic code without which sliding correctly becomes impossible. 

Anyway, I agree with KDwag on pretty much all points. Good write up. And yeah, that slide was fugly and that fumble was ridiculous but no way would I put the whole loss on Griffin; couple of head scratchers but overall he definitely played his best game so far. 

Nice write-up.

I think this is a team loss. The defense didn't do enough at times, but they also held their own and stopped Detroit on third down several times. 27 points isn't anything to celebrate, but with the defensive score, they gave up a net of 20.

What stuck out to me was how badly things spun out of control whenever we seemed to have any momentum. The great scramble that should have led to 3 points instead leads to a turnover. The great drive in the first half into the red zone that also should have led to 3 points, leads to another turnover. The TD catch that wasn't results in a ridiculous series of events. Keep in mind, once they overturned it we still had 2nd-and-10 in great field position. What happens? We snap the ball off of Paulsen and then face 3rd-and-20. Just a ridiculous turn of events.

I thought Amerson flashed yesterday, JReed is coming on, and Hank is gaining confidence. I didn't visit the GDT, but I am sure people were pissed that he didn't catch that pass down by his toes. :)

Field position is absolutely crippling this team. I thought CT would be a nice option for us in the return game, but he hasn't showed anything. And our return blocking scheme looks awful. We've been forced to drive long fields, and we haven't been able to do it without sucking/stopping ourselves.

The pick Griff threw was the worst decision he has made since he got here. Turrible. You simply can't turn it over and expect to win, especially when you're in scoring range. Turnovers got us again yesterday.

When you have an offense that struggles to score, a historically bad defense, an QB in recovery, turnovers and penalties...it's really hard to stay optimistic. My heart says we can still win the division, but my eyes surely disagree.

I know the inside sentiment was that Rak would be back next year (extended before FA). Is that still the rumor? It'll be interesting to see how it plays out when RJax comes back after the bye.

Nice write-up.

I think this is a team loss. The defense didn't do enough at times, but they also held their own and stopped Detroit on third down several times. 27 points isn't anything to celebrate, but with the defensive score, they gave up a net of 20.

What stuck out to me was how badly things spun out of control whenever we seemed to have any momentum. The great scramble that should have led to 3 points instead leads to a turnover. The great drive in the first half into the red zone that also should have led to 3 points, leads to another turnover. The TD catch that wasn't results in a ridiculous series of events. Keep in mind, once they overturned it we still had 2nd-and-10 in great field position. What happens? We snap the ball off of Paulsen and then face 3rd-and-20. Just a ridiculous turn of events.

When it rains in Landover, it pours...

Share a lot of the same thoughts.

This was the closest to "RG3" I've seen Griffin be this year. I hated the Fumble not just because it killed our momentum when we really needed it, but for what it came at the end of. Griffin didn't look like he wanted to scramble on that play, but it appeared like something clicked in his head and off he raced. Once the decision was made, that was the firs time this year where I was watching and went "THAT'S RG3!" The burst was there, the little waggle in his straight line running to make someone miss was there, the excitement was there. I loved it. Then the ball came loose...ugg

Please, PLLLLLEASE, teach the kid how to slide and DRILL it in him. He needs the muscle memory at this point.

I agree with you that we'll be seeing the guy we had last year very soon. I put it more at Week 6, after the bye, rather than at Oakland. I think he needs just a little bit more time knocking the rust off.

But while I think he looked more like his normal self, he also continued to demonstrate some of the issues that I've had with him this year. There were still some very erratic passes that left me going "who in the world was he throwing too", and the decision on the interception was abysmal.

The Defense, again, showed me that we can't WIN on their shoulders...but if we can have an above average offensive performance that they can give us a legitimate shot.

After this game I came away thinking that with a few tweaks we aren't too far away from being what we were last year. The issue is that we have a harder schedule, so I worry if we dug ourselves too big of a hole.

Oh, and Morris. The guy is a beast. My biggest complaint this week was not giving him the ball more. The game was close and you have a back that can get yards in bunches, run the ball. I think he rightly got flack for his speed last year...but on the TD run Sunday I honeslty thought he looked faster. He actually seems improved this year compared to last year in terms of top end speed, quickness, and even a bit in terms of niftyness. I can't express the man crush I have on The Butler.

Is there a sliding gene or something? I swear it seems like some QBs are literally missing an important piece of genetic code without which sliding correctly becomes impossible. 

Anyway, I agree with KDwag on pretty much all points. Good write up. And yeah, that slide was fugly and that fumble was ridiculous but no way would I put the whole loss on Griffin; couple of head scratchers but overall he definitely played his best game so far. 

I think it's a skill that comes a lot tougher to some people. Someone like Griffin with a track background probably has a tougher time picking it up than someone with a baseball background like Wilson. The other factor is that the brace must make it even more challenging.

When it rains in Landover, it pours...

Yet another reason to move them back into the city!

The pick Griff threw was the worst decision he has made since he got here. Turrible. You simply can't turn it over and expect to win, especially when you're in scoring range. Turnovers got us again yesterday.

I think that was on 1st down, too.  I was hoping he would flip it out of bounds immediately there.  No reason to press there, always live to fight another down.  That was Grossman/Campbell-esque and certainly not indicitive of this kid's ability to play QB.  Too excited to make a play. 

I think he's back though, which is exciting and should end the "benching" him debate.

He needs to go ahead and put a W up before the bye week, because I'm not sure we've won one coming out of the bye since Shanny has been here, lol...

Yet another reason to move them back into the city!

Shameless! :lol:

Offense:

Referring to 'b' ;

'the fumble was awful' comment; um, how can you NOT blame him?  Or am I reading it wrong?

Me GHH and Bang are gonna sneak over to RGIII's house and spray paint the street outside his house with " S L I D E "..lol

I had Campbell flashbacks when I saw that; very scary...

I don't think he's saying that the fumble isn't his fault; he's saying that the loss in its entirety is not his fault.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we benched Rambo and stuck Josh Wilson in as a modified safety?  Played a lot of single high with Meriweather?  Seems like Haslett is very adverse to the Cover 2.  Also don't get why we have Kerrigan and Orakpo dropping back so much.  I don't think it creates the confusion that Haslett thinks it does.

Side note, I'm glad we have Logan Paulsen on our team, he's not nearly the receiving threat of Davis/Reed...but he always seems to simply be solid and consistent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we benched Rambo and stuck Josh Wilson in as a modified safety?  Played a lot of single high with Meriweather?  Seems like Haslett is very adverse to the Cover 2.  Also don't get why we have Kerrigan and Orakpo dropping back so much.  I don't think it creates the confusion that Haslett thinks it does.

Side note, I'm glad we have Logan Paulsen on our team, he's not nearly the receiving threat of Davis/Reed...but he always seems to simply be solid and consistent.

I thought Rambo got banged up, didn't he? 

Thanks for your contribution as always Dawg.

I don't know how anyone could argue that Griffin didn't show quite a bit of improvement yesterday. I am actually enthusiastic about what I saw from yesterday. There were some throws he had yesterday that were reminiscent of what we saw last year especially the sideline routes to the outside shoulder WITH zip.He took a BIG step yesterday and will take another next week IMO.

I noticed that Polumbus was abused yesterday and it's becoming a recurring theme with him in the pass pro.

Sorry, but 'Rak is a very mediocre 3-4 OLB. It's not all his fault and I'm certain he would be MUCH better in a 4-3 as an end. He just looks like anytime he's asked to do anything but pass rush he is over-thinking.

The fact that we are comparing RJ to 'Rak is pretty compelling stuff considering 'Rak was a 1st rounder and RJ was drafted where????

People keep on hanging onto 'Raks pass rushing ability and fail to realize that he is a liability elsewhere.

At that point you have to stay alive.  The FG was the right call.  It gives you a chance for a hail mary afterwards, which we had. 

The redzone and goal to go play calling has to improve now that we aren't playing 11 on 11 with Robert as a runner.  Kyle needs to go back to the lab.

I would've loved a screen pass inside the 10 on that sequence.  Always force teams to make tackles down there because they are in space.  I agree, didn't like the calls.

The playcalling an execution were weak. You can put a lot of blame for the loss on not being able to score in three tries from the 5 in desperation time.

However, I strongly disagree on the decision. A FG means the game relies on either an onsides kick or a hail mary, each of which is an EXTREME longshot. A 4th down might be risky, but at least it's a risk with a reasonable chance of success.

From further out, or with either a chunk more or less time remaining I could see the logic of the FG there. But in the situation we were in, you need to get the 7.

I think there was a lot to be excited about from this game. Robert is almost back and Morris is a serious stud. Hank is getting it now and Reed is legit. Our line isn't doing too bad either. That is the nastiest front four in the NFL.

Our played better too. Amerson definitely showed some flashes. That kids gonna be good. I have to give Detroit a ton of credit on their play calling. They really made our defense do what they wanted them to do.

great write up coach, thanks.

Are you joking here?

2010:  lost to Eagles 59-28 -- Monday Night Massacre

2011:  lost to Eagles 20-13 -- I believe this was Rex's 4 pick game... it's all a blur that year

2012:  we did beat the Eagles last year --- wasn't sure if that was Carolina or Philly when I posted that.

2010:  lost to Eagles 59-28 -- Monday Night Massacre

2011:  lost to Eagles 20-13 -- I believe this was Rex's 4 pick game... it's all a blur that year

2012:  we did beat the Eagles last year --- wasn't sure if that was Carolina or Philly when I posted that.

I know, but to say that a year after we won 7 straight coming out of the bye was a little weird, don't you think, lol?

Archived