Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Curious Case Of Fred Davis...

RonArtest15

Fred Davis's early career is seeming to mirror another TE with the last name Davis. Vernon Davis,  While I doubt Fred's ceiling is THAT high, he is certainly a player with the potential to be a lot more productive then he currently is.

Vernon, in his early seasons showed a lot of promise, but was inconsistent and had somewhat of an attitude/work ethic problem.  While Mike Singletary didn't make a great head coach, VernoN Davis credits him with pounding it into Vernon's head what it would take for him to knock off the bs and see his potential as a top TE on a consistent basis.

It seems like Fred Davis is a player that ever since Cooley started fading, kept hearing about how he was ready to break out, and whether it's been due to injury or other reasons, Fred has simply failed to live up to what the glimpses of greatness have shown. Despite having better physical gifts then Cooley in almost every aspect he has not yet once in his career produced a consistent season like Cooley did until injuries ended his career.

Jordan Reed is still a very raw player, but is already showing the ability to be a mismatch for DB's. His blocking will need to improve in the future but that doesn't mean it is horrible or anything, it is just that it can get better as he grows into an NFL body which means he will become more physical at the line.

The question is, do you give Fred Davis a big contract (he will certainly be seeking one) based on what you think he MIGHT be able to do, or do you let him walk, and develop Jordan Reed while keeping the solid yet unspectacular Paulson/Paul combo around for stability?

I have a feeling that this offseason Orakpo or Davis is going to be gone, with so many needs on the O-line & Secondary that need to be addressed I don't think the team can upgrade there if they are forced to dole out huge contracts to Rak & Davis.

Would be surprised if Fred is here next year. If he has a great year, the kind that gets him a big deal, well he's expendable because of Reed most likely. We'll need to spend the money elsewhere. And if he has a bad year, I can't imagine him signing here on the cheap. But hey, let's just hope he does great when he's on the field this year and then worry about other things later.

I bet Reed is outworking him in practice.

I wonder if Fred hasn't lost a little step. Helu seems a tad less explosive as well.

Fully understandable in my eyes if true, but it may explain the lack of touches.

I want to see formations with Davis and Reed. Outside of Garcon and Moss doing his short curls, our receivers scare no one. Lets get the big boys out there.  

Presumably for the sake of a cheaper deal for the organisation?

Hail. 

Probably just to get the kid some playing time. IIRC Reed got the bulk of playing time in the second halves of games.

Hopefully they'll get them on the field together. But, its a bridge to far for me to believe that Jordan Reed is suddenly better then Fred.

The stories of Reed's prowess are being greatly exxagerated imho.

Probably just to get the kid some playing time. IIRC Reed got the bulk of playing time in the second halves of games.

Hopefully they'll get them on the field together. But, its a bridge to far for me to believe that Jordan Reed is suddenly better then Fred.

The stories of Reed's prowess are being greatly exxagerated imho.

Interesting theory dg. For once I can't say I'm fully with you, but it's an interesting thought to ponder. 

FWIW, I've been blown away by just how great a route runner Reed is thus far. He seems to be (bar one mistake pre season) in the right spot at the right time every time he's dialled up. And considering the kid missed OTA's and Mini-camp that makes it more exceptional. 

On current form, he's outshining FreddyDelight for me who I love and will defend to the last as one of the top end pass catching TE's in this league. 

But it's an interesting thought to ponder and keep an eye on going forward nonetheless. 

Hail. 

With Davis the story is he's coming back from injury last year, so he's nowhere near the same page as RGIII.

Next year the excuse will be 'well Fred is really just starting to pick up on RGIII's timing', so give him, say, 8 more years.

Its just strange how players can go from one team to another or come back from injury and pick up where they left off, except when they

are on the Redskins payroll, then it takes a few years of uninterrupted consistency.

I picked him on my FF team, hoping he would perform; right now he's playing like Betty Davis.

It's clear that the team is prepping Reed as his replacement.  Davis has been all potential but that potential hasnt been realized.  He's the opposite of Cooley.  Cooley was no where near the most talented, fastest, or one of the best blocking TE in the NFL, but he maximized his talent, balled his ass off and played smart. 

Davis has all the talent in the world, but he's not maximizing it at all.

It's clear that the team is prepping Reed as his replacement.  Davis has been all potential but that potential hasnt been realized.  He's the opposite of Cooley.  Cooley was no where near the most talented, fastest, or one of the best blocking TE in the NFL, but he maximized his talent, balled his ass off and played smart. 

Davis has all the talent in the world, but he's not maximizing it at all.

Can't straight faced argue with that at all. 

Baring 2011 (minus the TD's), he's not fully lived up to his massive potential. Regardless of injury. 

Hail. 

It's clear that the team is prepping Reed as his replacement. 

Reed catches everything thrown his way and has a knack for getting to the first down marker.  The Skins have had to pass more frequently than expected and he's taken advantage of the opportunity.   I doubt that the Skins are trying to phase out Davis but he does need to produce.  If anyone should be phased out I would think it would be Niles Paul.

Ya Reed is gonna easily beat out fred davis. He certainly is a better pass catching TE, Yea Davis blocks better but with reps Reed will get that down

Reed has already taken Fred's starter spot. Like I said in today's Quotes press release thread, I hinted at in Sunday game day coverage thread. Fred's hotdogged a few routes & dropped passes he shouldn't have.

I bet Reed is outworking him in practice.

From Shanny's presser today:

On rookie tight end Jordan Reed playing more snaps than tight end Fred Davis:

“Most of the decisions we make are based on how people practice and what gives us the best opportunity to win. So if a guy goes into those situations, it means that he’s done a great job during the week and we feel like he deserved that opportunity. Or it could be a guy drops a ball during a game, the other’s guy is hot, and you go in that direction. There are a lot of factors that are involved. You’re trying to do what you think gives you the best chance to win.”

A lot of things look pretty spry in the preseason. Fact is, the Achilles tear is an injury most athletes do not come back from the next year (if ever http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture). Davis' production will probably not be that good this season, and that would allow the Skins to resign him for cheap.

I'd like to see the two TE set actually done. Cooley and Davis could never do it because Cooley fell off a physical cliff, but a healthy Davis is a better receiver than most of the wide receivers on the team. If Reed gets to that level, he will be a better receiver, too. I don't see why the Skins have to trot some pretty piss-poor wide receivers on the field when they have Davis and Reed.

How did you determine we have some pretty piss poor wide receivers? These guys have made plays when the ball has gotten to them. They can't always catch balls thrown behind them or jump ten feet in the air either. RGIII and the WR's are not in sync which contributes to the poor performance of the WR's. But I think they have dropped some very catchable passes. Pierre Garcon has been non-existent and so has Hankerson so far. Moss has played so so and Morgan has been the only real steady receiver. I agree Davis has to get his head together otherwise bye bye.

Eh, i think Fred will be fine. I was expecting big things from him this season, but he hasnt lived up to them yet. But i think he will be back to where he was in a few weeks. Jordan Reed tho, I really like this guy. Reminds me of an Antonio Gates type of TE. Cant wait to see him develop.

you can add Sav Rocca to this list this season he has been pathetic so far...

100% agree. I cant remember when he was ever good for us. I dont remember the last punter we had that was GOOD, not great, but good. I forgot the kids name but we once had a punter competition with a veteran and a very young kid, and i remember the kid beat out the veteran as far as i remember through the pre season games, but we ended up taking the veteran. My mind is drawing a blank. Unless i totally made this up in my head.

I think it's curious how the man has an achilles injury and then doesn't play well the following season and ES goes "what could possibly be wrong with him?"

On the bright side Reed has started to emerge and Paulson was serviceable last season when Davis went out. Overall I think we are in good shape at TE.

Overall bad offensive coaching is to blame for not involving Fred Davis more.  He's the prototypical TE.  He has great speed and hands and could be a great help to this offense.  But Kyle and Mike are pig-headed and too idiotic to see that they are wasting a potential gold mine in our offense.  This is yet another example of the arrogance that the Shanahan coaches display.  They misused Cooley and now there misusing Davis.  This game has and always be about match-ups.  We have two coaches that for some reason refuse to find the best offensive match-ups.  There isn't a DE, LB, or even some Safeties that can cover Fred Davis.  Put Davis/Reed together on the field and I guarantee, you'll open up the passing lanes for Garcon and co.  

How did you determine we have some pretty piss poor wide receivers? These guys have made plays when the ball has gotten to them. They can't always catch balls thrown behind them or jump ten feet in the air either. RGIII and the WR's are not in sync which contributes to the poor performance of the WR's. But I think they have dropped some very catchable passes. Pierre Garcon has been non-existent and so has Hankerson so far. Moss has played so so and Morgan has been the only real steady receiver. I agree Davis has to get his head together otherwise bye bye.

Not sure if serious...

PG had ~150 yards and a TD last week...

Hank had 2 TD's against the Eagles...

Josh Morgan caught 2 passes for a little over 30 yards and had a large role to play in RG's INT last week...

I'm lost...

Overall bad offensive coaching is to blame for not involving Fred Davis more.  He's the prototypical TE.  He has great speed and hands and could be a great help to this offense.  But Kyle and Mike are pig-headed and too idiotic to see that they are wasting a potential gold mine in our offense.  This is yet another example of the arrogance that the Shanahan coaches display.  They misused Cooley and now there misusing Davis.  This game has and always be about match-ups.  We have two coaches that for some reason refuse to find the best offensive match-ups.  There isn't a DE, LB, or even some Safeties that can cover Fred Davis.  Put Davis/Reed together on the field and I guarantee, you'll open up the passing lanes for Garcon and co.  

This is a pretty wild post.  Rock on.

Archived