Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roku/apple Tv

Elessar78

I apologize, did a search and could not find the old threads.

I did it. I cut the cable off today. Now off to get a Roku or Apple TV tonight. Any pros or cons with either system? 

I have a PS3 in one room that's acting as the "hub" but I need another one for another room. We can get Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Prime through the PS3. Are Hulu and Amazon Prime redundant? We get prime for the free-shipping, essentially.

I have two Apple TVs and love them.  Controller is pretty tiny, if that bothers you as it could easily be overlooked and if you have a 5 year old like I do.....well you get the picture.  Apple now has Hulu Plus but not Amazon.  It's extremely easy to use and the built in wi-fi is among the best I've ever seen in a wireless device (PS3, Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, etc.).  I use it for Netflix and never have any issues.  

As for Roku, I purchased one a while back, I think it was the Roku 2, it was the newest one they had at the time, same price range $89-99.  I purchased this with hopes of opening up my options for streaming movies/tv as Apple TV only had Netflix at the time.  Plus it came with an interactive controller, similar to the Wii and Angry Birds.  My daughter loved that game, so I gave it a shot.  

The built in wi-fi flat out sucked.  So to get an idea of my set-up.  Downstairs I had my Apple TV in my living room, internet/modem was in the room beside it.  I purchased the Roku for my bonus room, which is upstairs over the garage.  I hook up the Roku up there, and got 1 bar to 0 for the signal, it couldn't even complete the download to the latest software it was so bad.  I then, decided to move the Apple TV upstairs and the Roku to the living room thinking the signal would vastly improve being in the room beside the source.  

Well, upstairs, my Apple TV got full bars for signal strength and never skipped a beat.  The Roku downstairs got 2 bars and would sometimes go to 1 bar and kept having to buffer streaming Netflix.  The picture appeared to be in SD not HD.  I immediately took it back to the store and got my money back.  Went out and bought another Apple TV.  I did read later that it does take a few minutes for the Roku picture to adjust to HD, so I never gave it time.  But overall, I could see myself getting frustrated due to the lack of signal strength and constant rebuffing.

My father tried to help his friend hook one up and said they experienced the same issue with signal strength, with the source in the same freaking room lol.

So, I'd go with Apple TV or check out Netgear.  I've heard really good things about Netgear from family and friends.  Not sure if Roku ever fixed their flaws and don't really care because I wont give them another chance based on my horrible experience and the fact I know other brands are out there and better (Apple TV and Netgear).

Edit:  My dad just bought a Netgear and loves it.  Netgear allows you to watch Vudu, so if you have an account for that, its something to look into.  Apple TV does not have a vudu app.  If that could be a deal breaker for ya.

I know it's pricey but wouldn't a XBox One or PS4 give you everything you need plus a blu ray player as well?

As I understand it, Microsoft wants the XBox One to be THE ultimate media hub.

If you plan on gaming it's probably a consideration for sure. Also I stream stuff from my phone to the TV too, couldn't do that with the game consoles. At least not that I have heard of. Also blue ray players or any disc players are not in use at my house anymore. Apple TV eliminated them for me.

I know it's pricey but wouldn't a XBox One or PS4 give you everything you need plus a blu ray player as well?

As I understand it, Microsoft wants the XBox One to be THE ultimate media hub.

Yeah, another console IS another consideration. Would give me more entertainment versatility. But the gaming on the bedroom tv is really secondary or a plus. 

How do you watch the Skins games on them?

I moved away from the DC area 5 years ago, so I haven't been getting it on broadcast anyway. Plus, I've been busy on Sundays so no time to watch it either. Being on a skins message board, I don't really watch the Redskins that much. 

Cool thing about the apple tv is that you can stream audio and video from your iphone, ipad or itouch through your TV. So can anyone you have over to your house who has an idevice.  You can also mirror your idevice screen on your tv which is great for watching videos, looking at pictures or playing games.

Also, when I can go to my buddy's house who has an apple tv and I can stream the nfl sunday ticket mobile through his apple TV to his TV.

Went to go buy a new HDTV and Apple TV, because Apple TV does not work with my standard def TV. Got to the store and saw Smart TV on sale that had WiFi access and Hulu/Amazon/Netflix subsequently included. So that checked all my boxes. Saved me the cost of buying an Apple TV.

• 1 month later...

Interested in hearing more about the other content available on Roku/Apple tv besides netflix/hulu/amazon. 

I don't have subscriptions to netflix streaming or Hulu Plus.  We don't get HBO or Showtime.

Am I going to get good value/use out of it (particularly for kids' stuff, which is at least half of what we would use it for) without those things, or do I really need to subscribe to other services to get good use out of it?

As i mentioned above, I got a SmarTV in lieu of Roku/AppleTV and  so far so good. We have a 3 year old and she loves the offerings on it—everything she likes except Dora/Diego. 

Between Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus it covers all our bases. Not sure what we're going to do about our HBO needs, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

I guess if you have a tv already then that changes the equation considerably. We needed a new tv. I guess it all depends on what "environment" you're in. We gave my Mother In Law an Apple TV only to find out that she has an Amazon Prime account and that is not compatible with Apple TV. 

As i mentioned above, I got a SmarTV in lieu of Roku/AppleTV and  so far so good. We have a 3 year old and she loves the offerings on it—everything she likes except Dora/Diego. 

Between Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus it covers all our bases. Not sure what we're going to do about our HBO needs, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

I guess if you have a tv already then that changes the equation considerably. We needed a new tv. I guess it all depends on what "environment" you're in. We gave my Mother In Law an Apple TV only to find out that she has an Amazon Prime account and that is not compatible with Apple TV. 

Don't need a new tv.  We have Amazon Prime, and several apple devices.  My wife and I watch most of our stuff in the basement.  This would be for the tv on the main level, which is where the kids watch most of theirs.  We don't have a dvr in that room.  But for the price of another dvr, I could get one of these instead. 

Apple TV + Netflix and HBO GO is pretty much all you need (except sports of course, that could change once the NFL sunday ticket contract ends with DirecTV)

The nice part about the Apple TV is, it's constantly updated by Apple and new features are added (Hulu, HBO GO most recently).  A smart TV doesnt get similar updates if I'm not mistaken.

Being able to Airplay or mirror any of your apple devices to your TV screen is also a great bonus.  If you have a Windows PC, you can use the program AirParrot to mirror to the Apple TV.

I absolutely hate the remote for Apple TV. I bought Apple TV recently and I've really liked it so far but the remote is so obnoxiously small. I don't even have stubby fingers and it's still a pain in the ass to use.

If you have an iphone you can control it with that.

Don't need a new tv.  We have Amazon Prime, and several apple devices.  My wife and I watch most of our stuff in the basement.  This would be for the tv on the main level, which is where the kids watch most of theirs.  We don't have a dvr in that room.  But for the price of another dvr, I could get one of these instead. 

I didn't realize that Amazon Prime finally got onto iOS. Cool. Yeah, I'm an apple fan so go for Apple TV. 

Archived