Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.com: Garcon Says Rg3 Not The Same Player, Mentally And Physically

MustangSteve

Title is Exact word for word on front page of yahoo.com.

Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III’s team is off to a 0-2 start. They have been outscored 50-7 in the first half of two games. Somebody has to take the blame for what is going on.

The biggest problem is Washington’s atrocious defense, which is ranked last in the NFL.

However, Griffin is receiving some heat, too.

[Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football is open for business]

Washington receiver Pierre Garcon was on ESPN 980 today and said his team was running the same offense that was productive in 2012. Garcon said the team does not want Griffin running around a lot this season because of the quarterback's offseason knee surgery. He also believes Griffin's knee brace is slowing down his quarterback.

While most NFL observers expect Griffin to be the same mobile quarterback who rushed for 815 yards and seven touchdowns in 2012, he has only 25 rushing yards through two games. Garcon said some of Griffin's runs last season were not by design, which explains the decline in rushing yards this year.

“Well, when you’re walking around with a knee brace or playing with a knee brace, obviously it’s slowing you down a little bit,” Garcon told the radio station via Washingtonpost.com. “It’s just natural. It’s common….I don’t know how much it weighs, exactly, but you always think about it when you have it on there, and it’s a constant reminder. It’s not gonna let you be the guy you are without the knee brace. When you have something around your knees – the more equipment you have on, it’s obviously distracting you or slowing you down from being as free as loose as yourself without any equipment on.”

Click Link for rest of story: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/pierre-garcon-says-rgiii-t-run-fast-because-203232725--nfl.html

Sooo this is sensationalist bs...

All he said was what we've (and everyone and their mom) been saying the last two weeks

Yup, read it earlier on NFL.com. Garçon says that the brace obviously slows him down as it would anyone... And these are the headlines we get. He is going to wear it all year. After all the nonsense the media has stirred up out of nothing for months, the team should ban everyone from speaking to the media or extremely limit what they say so these mediots dont have words to twist around to make up BS stories. Answer yes, no and no comment.... that's it.

I really wouldn't want him taking that thing off until he is truly 100% healed. Not "feeling" 100%; not just "cleared to play"; but 100% HEALED, and we never know when that may be. The last thing we need is for him to take it off out of desperation to get the offense back to where it was, and tweak it again. The risk isn't worth the reward in my opinion. I'd rather see us finish 6-10 with RG3 coming back healthy and 100% next year than to risk another serious injury just to climb out of an 0-2 hole.

Yup, read it earlier on NFL.com. Garçon says that the brace obviously slows him down as it would anyone... And these are the headlines we get. After all the nonsense the media has stirred up out of nothing for months, the team should ban everyone from speaking to the media giving them words to twist around. Answer yes, no and no comment.... that's it.

All about getting hits on the article. Really is nonsense. Shanahan needs to give the team a lesson in how to talk to the media.

Yup, read it earlier on NFL.com. Garçon says that the brace obviously slows him down as it would anyone... And these are the headlines we get. He is going to wear it all year. After all the nonsense the media has stirred up out of nothing for months, the team should ban everyone from speaking to the media or extremely limit what they say so these mediots dont have words to twist around to make up BS stories. Answer yes, no and no comment.... that's it.

I agree! They are now twisting words and stories to try and get our team against each other. I can't wait until we kick into gear and start stomping on some teams, maybe that will send them elsewhere to stir up their trash. 

What does the brace do, exactly? Does it provide more stability to the knee? Reduce chance of injury?

I'm can't speak for preventing injury but it does offer more stability to the knee and keeps the knee structurely sound. Again when you have 300 pound men hitting you low I don't know if it would prevent an injury, but if normal everyday people like you and I wore it after a knee surgery it would help support the knee moving the way it should.

Speaking of 300 pound men diving low, if Suh is even 5 yards within Griffins space and goes low for any reason he should be kicked out of this weekends game. It's honestly scaring the crap out of me knowing the dirtiest player in the league will be on the other side of the field this weekend.

He pretty much said what anybody would logically assume.  

I'm can't speak for preventing injury but it does offer more stability to the knee and keeps the knee structurely sound. Again when you have 300 pound men hitting you low I don't know if it would prevent an injury, but if normal everyday people like you and I wore it after a knee surgery it would help support the knee moving the way it should.

Speaking of 300 pound men diving low, if Suh is even 5 yards within Griffins space and goes low for any reason he should be kicked out of this weekends game. It's honestly scaring the crap out of me know the dirtiest player in the league will be on the other side of the field this weekend.

I know where you're coming from.  I thought about that too. 

Speaking of 300 pound men diving low, if Suh is even 5 yards within Griffins space and goes low for any reason he should be kicked out of this weekends game. It's honestly scaring the crap out of me know the dirtiest player in the league will be on the other side of the field this weekend.

This is a fact! They have done some disgraceful acts in the past few years, even starting fights as other teams come out of the locker room. A team that disrespectful shouldn't be in the playoffs or anywhere near it. They use to be a good and respectful team, they are far from it now days for real.

I really don't understand why this is so surprising to so many people...anyone who has that type of surgery isn't going to be the same within 8-9 months after the surgery perhaps maybe never.  The brace probably is causing a difference in his mobility..how can it not? He stated the obvious...anyone w/half a brain should be able to know he's not the same..oh wait... :rolleyes: ...how fans of this team can expect the same RGIII this soon is ridiculous to me...I am one of the biggest homers I know and I knew that he wouldn't be the same out of the gate...some say why play him then...if not now...when? He needs to play to get back in playing shape...I don't point the finger at RG..I point it at the whole frickin team!

So the media is stirring the pot again...anything for a story...smh...

Here's a comment taken from http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/09/18/redskins-again-turn-to-rookie-te-jordan-reed-down-the-stretch/

"When griffin came back from his knee injury at Baylor, here were his fort 3 game comp %s-

52% 
57% 
57% 

Then he got into the superior competition vs big 12 teams after getting back into the groove and a staged over 70% for his final 9 games. Just FYI"

He'll get stronger each week... he'll get more used to the brace... and the Morris will improve, the defense will adjust... Obviously, we have weak spots that were not addressed, but RG3 will play better... these two games were his first full speed game situations in 8 months.

I don't think this is worthy of its own thread, so I'll post this here as it's somewhat related...

I'd be curious to really know what is the true reason that Griffin isn't running at all. First, a couple assumptions:

1) Griffin is 100% medically cleared to play (meaning he isn't any more likely to re-injure his knee by playing)

2) Griffin is rusty and needs reps

3) Griffin is at least as explosive as he was after the Baltimore game

I have to assume the above things. #1 because no one in their right mind would be playing him if he was at higher risk of injury. Griffin, Shanahan, and Andrews all stand to lose a lot if he was rushed back. #2 because it's both logical and obvious. It's also understandable and acceptable, by the way. #3 because again, it's just logical that he's more ready to play after 8 months of rehab and recovery than he was days/weeks after being hurt.

So, is Griffin not running because he doesn't want to run? Is Griffin not running because someone on the coaching staff or within the organization doesn't want him to run? Has the 3-4 scheme really prevented us from executing one QB keeper on the read option? Is Griffin not running because he's not explosive enough?

I would have a tough time believing the last reason I listed. A clearly hobbled Griffin ran for over 60 yards against the Cowboys in the last game of the season. He even ran for 20 yards in the playoff game. At a minimum, Griffin should be physically able to move the chains on 3rd-and-5 type plays or just run it a couple times so that other teams respect that aspect of our offense.

I also don't know too much about the 3-4 eliminating the option plays. But I have noticed several times when defenses are just focusing on Morris and pay no mind to what Griffin is doing. Analyzing game film is not a strength of mine, so I'll hope that someone can fill me in on this. Has Griffin made the wrong read yet (giving to Morris when the defense would dictate that he keep)?

That leaves us with either Griffin himself not wanting to run or the team holding him back. I don't see any reason for Mike or Kyle to look at what this offense did last year and try to drastically change things. Sure, they were probably prepared to adjust based on how teams stopped the read option, but it would be completely illogical to think that they'd abandon it without someone forcing our hand. The entire advantage of adjusting is that you make teams pick their poison: take away the QB run so that they leave something else open.

That only leaves Griffin himself. Is it really possible that he would refuse to run some of the playbook? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure anything else makes sense. If this is happening, I hope that our coaches can sit with him and let him know that he can't really go from being a dual threat to Peyton Manning overnight. I would love to see our offense evolve into a spread-them-out, pro-style attack as Griffin develops. But I think we will need the crutch of his legs for a couple years while everyone grows together.

OK, what does everyone think? Is it health? Is it fear? Is it just X's and O's?

I don't buy the notion that the brace is why we don't see him extending plays, scrambling, or running read option like last year.

He had the brace last year. He had a knee that was at LESS than 100% last year. And he still was moving around the pocket, running read option, scrambling, and putting up decent rushing numbers when those factors were in place.

You can't come back, tell me he's had more time to get used to the brace, had time to get his knee "100%", and then suddenly suggest that those things limit him to such a degree that he can not longer reasonably do those things.

It's not the brace, it's mental. Whether it's consious or subconsious, that I don't know.

I really wouldn't want him taking that thing off until he is truly 100% healed. Not "feeling" 100%; not just "cleared to play"; but 100% HEALED, and we never know when that may be. The last thing we need is for him to take it off out of desperation to get the offense back to where it was, and tweak it again.

He is 100% fully healed physically. The doctor wouldn't have cleared him if he were not. The knee brace is a pre-caution that could be as much mental as anything else. 

I don't buy the notion that the brace is why we don't see him extending plays, scrambling, or running read option like last year.

He had the brace last year. He had a knee that was at LESS than 100% last year. And he still was moving around the pocket, running read option, scrambling, and putting up decent rushing numbers when those factors were in place.

You can't come back, tell me he's had more time to get used to the brace, had time to get his knee "100%", and then suddenly suggest that those things limit him to such a degree that he can not longer reasonably do those things.

It's not the brace, it's mental. Whether it's consious or subconsious, that I don't know.

I agree. He looked good running a times in Green Bay escaping pressure to the outside. When he isn't thinking about it and it's just a reaction he is a lot faster than he was post Baltimore last year. You can see the burst and that he is healthy . So I think it's just mental right now and getting that confidence and trust back. It will come, even with the knee brace. 

RGIII has to show steady improvement, or else he has to be sat. Maybe benching him will be the mental motivation he needs. Yea, some say benching him would destroy him; I call bull**** on that; he's young, determined, and will overcome it. But if the season is going to be sacrificed because they want him to 'work it out', we could be looking at 0-6, and then the team starts with personal comments and the self implosion of the season's fuse has been lit.

I would hate for this to end up mirroring the Jason Campbell experiment by continually leaving him in there regardless because they just believe he will get better when he only regressed. What happens if RGIII gets hit on the knee and a minor injury happens? You might as well put him on PUP because mentally he will be no good after that.

This is a perfect example of the national sports media propogating a narrative and feeding this into the loop in order to fill air time/increase page views.

PG said nothing to the effect that RG isn't the same player mentally and physically....yet this is the narrative that yahoo/BR wants to run with...that is how the author decided to portray his statements.

RG will be fine. Can't wait till all of this is behind us.

RGIII has to show steady improvement, or else he has to be sat. Maybe benching him will be the mental motivation he needs. Yea, some say benching him would destroy him; I call bull**** on that; he's young, determined, and will overcome it. But if the season is going to be sacrificed because they want him to 'work it out', we could be looking at 0-6, and then the team starts with personal comments and the self implosion of the season's fuse has been lit.

I would hate for this to end up mirroring the Jason Campbell experiment by continually leaving him in there regardless because they just believe he will get better when he only regressed. What happens if RGIII gets hit on the knee and a minor injury happens? You might as well put him on PUP because mentally he will be no good after that.

Well I guess it is a good thing he showed improvement from the Philly to Green Bay games. He has to shake off the rust and mental hurdles from the injury. He can't do it from the bench.

How can you compare this to JC? RG3 did more and continually got better in 15 games than JC showed in what 4 years? In what ways has RG3 regressed to warrant this comparison?

Well I believe I can shed some light as I was in a similar situation on a much smaller scale obviously lol so I didn't have to deal with media crap clogging my mind. I was a running back that tore my acl and meniscus the last game of the year. Got surgery did rehab came back the next year and was not the same. I had on a custom brace and was benched during the first game because I just was timid around my knee. You remember the pain and not being able to walk or do certain things with your knee. It's like when I was playing I was expecting the knee to hurt when I would do a certain movement.

I didn't get to play the second game and was pissed off. One night I went out at 3am. No brace just went to the street and started running then I forced myself to stop tensing my knee and then started doing sprints. The whole time I was sprinting I was just expecting my knee to buckle and was scared. But it didn't, I started making sharp cuts and jump cuts doing spin moves all in the street as fast as I could. Went to practice with no brace and was offered a scholarship after that season to D1 school Grambling State. Didn't take it but that's how I got my confidence back.

Also the brace makes you feel secure because it makes you feel like you can trust it to keep your knee from exploding lol when in reality the knee is fine its just your brain remembering everything it felt. The brace hinders you it doesn't let you straighten or flex the knee with out a lot of resistance and running with it on made my whole leg feel tired and fatigued fast. You definitely can't run fast with it on and my doctor and therapist wanted me to get it off as soon as I could mentally, because it teaches you bad habits when running. RG3.....get out there at 3am when the cameras aren't there the coaches and players aren't there. Your confidence is laying on the pavement, go get it.

Well I believe I can shed some light as I was in a similar situation on a much smaller scale obviously lol so I didn't have to deal with media crap clogging my mind. I was a running back that tore my acl and meniscus the last game of the year. Got surgery did rehab came back the next year and was not the same. I had on a custom brace and was benched during the first game because I just was timid around my knee. You remember the pain and not being able to walk or do certain things with your knee. It's like when I was playing I was expecting the knee to hurt when I would do a certain movement.

I didn't get to play the second game and was pissed off. One night I went out at 3am. No brace just went to the street and started running then I forced myself to stop tensing my knee and then started doing sprints. The whole time I was sprinting I was just expecting my knee to buckle and was scared. But it didn't, I started making sharp cuts and jump cuts doing spin moves all in the street as fast as I could. Went to practice with no brace and was offered a scholarship after that season to D1 school Grambling State. Didn't take it but that's how I got my confidence back.

Also the brace makes you feel secure because it makes you feel like you can trust it to keep your knee from exploding lol when in reality the knee is fine its just your brain remembering everything it felt. The brace hinders you it doesn't let you straighten or flex the knee with out a lot of resistance and running with it on made my whole leg feel tired and fatigued fast. You definitely can't run fast with it on and my doctor and therapist wanted me to get it off as soon as I could mentally, because it teaches you bad habits when running. RG3.....get out there at 3am when the cameras aren't there the coaches and players aren't there. Your confidence is laying on the pavement, go get it.

Thanks for your insights. Rodney harrison said similar on Sunday Night. It is all about mentally trusting the 2x repaired knee and focusing on his long term career over short term big plays at risk of another injury. The only way for him to stop playing scared is to get more live reps in games facing a real pass rush. I hope he makes it through this next one in one piece because Detroit is dirty as heck. They lead the NFL in penalties this season through two games.

Well I guess it is a good thing he showed improvement from the Philly to Green Bay games. He has to shake off the rust and mental hurdles from the injury. He can't do it from the bench.

How can you compare this to JC? RG3 did more and continually got better in 15 games than JC showed in what 4 years? In what ways has RG3 regressed to warrant this comparison?

Maybe you read it wrong, or I didn't type it correctly.

My point was, how they continued to keep JC as the starter, even as hs continued to look horrible, week after week, year after year.. With RGIII, my concern is Mike continually leaving him in there even though he shows little to no improvement.

Is there a timeline in the season if RGIII for whatever reason doesn't improve that he is sat down? Does it take blowing the season just to see if he does shake it off?

I love the guy, and I do hope he can pull a Iron Man I bit where he flies up high, freezes, begins to fall, then breaks the ice, gliding to a smooth and hellacious ride. He is a vital part of the team, no doubt. But if he continues to struggle, either the season is thrown away by leaving him in there or Cousins is put in and maybe, just maybe, things work out. This is all depending on the rest of the team getting their act together.

Archived