Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When The Health Is Restored, And The Rust Is Gone....

HtownRocks111

Will RGIII be close to what he was last year?  If Robert isn't as fast as he use to be, then that is a game changer.  We already know the team will protect him more and call less designed runs for him.  Even if he wasn't rusty these first couple of games and completed a high % of his passes in the first half, the whole game plan of letting him execute read-option plays but always give it to the running back brings out a big hole in our team that we didn't notice last year because of the running threat of RGIII.

I don't even call it a read-option we've used because there is 0 chance RGIII actually has 2 options.  It's basically a play fake to buy him another second to pass the ball.  The defense doesn't care one bit if RGIII keeps the ball and tries to run with it, as he will not get very far before he either runs out of bounds, or gets hit so hard it'll be the last time he tries to run in the game.

Without this threat, we can see our Oline is not built for this.  This is what slowed down the pass rush last year, this is also what helped Almo get 1600 yards.  If all the D has to focus on right now is blitzing the QB and containing Alfred, it's no wonder we can't score any points.  

My biggest fear is Robert will never be as much of a threat as he was last year, and our team built the way it is was not meant to operate in a traditional 3 step drop back pass.  Our secondary is still learning on the fly and if anything we have the tools on defense to play as if our offense was scoring points like they were last year.  If RGIII doesn't get healthy/less rusty soon and doesn't grow the mental confidence he needs to show proper QB mechanics back there in the pocket, the only positive of the season will be a low draft choice next year and financial relief from being out from under the salary cap penalty to bolster our Oline and secondary.

Please make my day and tell me I'm wrong.

Want to clarify before you make an assured sweeping statement?

Hail.

I think he was saying it in response to the OP who asked for someone to tell him he's wrong to make him feel better :)

On the small sample size, it's hard to disagree - he needs to develop has a pocket passer and begin to show teams that he can do that (so far in the first half of the first 2 games he has not).  The threat of the run is gone so it's a much more simplistic offense to defend.  Take away Almo and knock the receiver at the line.  This offense is designed on freezing the lb's & safeties and allowing the receivers to catch short/medium throws and make a play after.  With no threat of RG3, there is no freezing which is resulting in very minimal chances for the WR's. 

They either need to re-install the RO, take away the RO or allow RG3 to roll-out and bootleg.  You can't leave it in place because it's not doing anything but hurting the offense at this time.

RG3 will not be like he was last year.  And with a not-as-mobile RG3, and a smallish O Line, this offense won't work.  We need a big offensive line to protext a drop back passing game.  So this O Line isn't built for RG3 to be a pocket passer.  That's why this knee injury will continue to be felt, even if RG3 is "healthy".

Our offensive line cannot protect him unless he is able to escape and make plays with his legs.  RG3 of last year made our O Line look a lot better than they actually were.  Our offensive line is a weakness, not a strength.  I think Trent is the only legit starter on the offensive line that would start on another team.

Let me take my foot out of my mouth and hang my head in embarrassment at my fiolly for a minute .....

Apologies. I am a bonehead. Carry on like this never happened.

Hail.

We usually do. ;) J/K!

Run a lot more bubble screens, roll outs and tosses (maybe some R/O?) to play away from Detroits DTs, bracket CJ, maybe some play some press to buy our rush a bit of time and spy Bush (not sure with who). Who knows? Maybe this will be the game our execution (and game-planning) steps up. If not... well, can't get worse* than the last two weeks, eh?

*not counting injury of course

The insistence to maintain the offense the way it is will lead us to an ugly season.  RGIII will not be running this year like he did last year.  Coming off a major ACL repair is not as easy as "he can put weight on it and pivot".  You have to have confidence and literally have the injury forgotten in your head.  It takes time.  The offense needs to be altered for this season.

" the only positive of the season will be a low draft choice next year

and financial relief from being out from under the salary cap penalty to bolster our Oline and secondary.

Please make my day and tell me I'm wrong."

We don't  get a low draft choice even if we suck it up this year.

" the only positive of the season will be a low draft choice next year

and financial relief from being out from under the salary cap penalty to bolster our Oline and secondary.

Please make my day and tell me I'm wrong."

We don't get a low draft choice even if we suck it up this year.

The Rams have our first round pick. Last of the three picks.

The health has already been restored. Now it's a matter of restoring Rob's confidence and psyche. Playing from behind (-14 points) every game isn't helping, nor is a putrid offensive line (save Trent Williams).

This season may very well be a wash (5-11 or 6-10) but Robert is only 23, please give him time to work his way back in before giving up. He's sacrificed so much to start week one, the least we can do is support him.

Want to clarify before you make an assured sweeping statement?

Hail.

lol. he just asked to be told he was wrong so he could have a good day ;) so I did.

With regards to the rest...I don't think ANY of us know what is really going on. Is it the coaches hiding something? Is it that RGIII really wants to prove he's a pocket passer and is his own little experiment? None of us know, so why bang our heads against the wall trying to figure it out.

What I do know from watching is that when RGIII ran in game 1 he looked hesitant and didn't want to hit the throttle and run full speed (a common thing that happens after knee surgery). The second game when he decided to finally run, he looked like the old RGIII only smarter in getting out before getting hit.

In my own personal opinion (hope)...I think they are hiding something with regards to in game plan strategy. I think (or hope) that this week we see some sort of hybrid of what we have been seeing, with RGIII taking off running, bootlegs, extend the play with his legs...etc.

RG3 will not be like he was last year.  And with a not-as-mobile RG3, and a smallish O Line, this offense won't work.  We need a big offensive line to protext a drop back passing game.  So this O Line isn't built for RG3 to be a pocket passer.  That's why this knee injury will continue to be felt, even if RG3 is "healthy".

Our offensive line cannot protect him unless he is able to escape and make plays with his legs.  RG3 of last year made our O Line look a lot better than they actually were.  Our offensive line is a weakness, not a strength.  I think Trent is the only legit starter on the offensive line that would start on another team.

OLine ISN'T designed to hold out DLinemen for 4-5 seconds, which a pocket passer needs. Even Aaron Rodgers got rocked when he stood back there for more than 3 seconds, so they switched to a quick slant and out passing game, upon which the Redskins did not adjust defensively. But when you can't tackle, what's the difference? The only way for now is to get RGIII on the edge with rollouts and ROption keepers. TO H$LL WITH THAT KNEE! He says he's fine, the Dr. says he's fine. SO RUN HIS A$$! If he or his Dad balks, then remind them that they do as the Coach wants, and if a mobile RGIII is the only way to get this thing back on track, so be it. Otherwise, Get Pat White Back and have him come in at times to run the read option. I Bet PWhite won't complain! And then ramp up KCousins in practice just in case.

I could be wrong as I'm not a doctor but I don't think we will ever see the same RG3 as we did last year. I hope that I'm wrong. Griffin needs to scare defenses into making them think he's going to run as we all have seen in the past two games defenses aren't afraid of him knowing that he won't run or has been told not to run. If Griffin can drop back and pass and get procession back that will help.

Just a quick couple of points, RG3

should have been allowed to play in

preseason or we should have kept him

out until after the bye week. and

every man and his dog new that RT

was a big need and yet we did nothing about it. Chester is being made to look ordinary due to him having to play next to polumbus.

He doesnt need to run like last year and he probably won't at all this year. That doesn't mean he can't move and we can still provide him a better gameplan than standing in the pocket waiting on 2WR on slow developing routes. 

I'm of the mindset that he is a good enough passer to be successful without all the read option dynamics. Yeah he is young and no he isn't Eli passing from the pocket yet. We can still play to his strengths and help him out a little with things like bootlegs, rollouts and quicker pass routes with more 4WR spread looks.

He might not be ready yet but we sure as hell aren't making it easier on him for some unknown reason. I think a lot of it is timing and confidence which should come back more and more each game. We still need better gameplans to help him out. 

I am not ready to throw in the towel on the season or RG3 yet. 

Just a quick couple of points, RG3

should have been allowed to play in

preseason or we should have kept him

out until after the bye week. and

every man and his dog new that RT

was a big need and yet we did nothing about it. Chester is being made to look ordinary due to him having to play next to polumbus.

Please explain how this makes sense...

Preseason his knee may not have been structurally sound. Now it is according to shanahan, Robert and Doc Andrews.

If we sat him until the bye he would not be getting enough first team reps in practice and he would not be getting game speed experience on the knee. When we came back after the bye and was putting together the same slop as he is now in the first half we would have a REAL QB CONTROVERSY on our hands, especially if Kirk led us to an even record or better. It would have been a nightmare played out in the media that would have dwarfed SanchezXTebow last year.

He doesnt need to run like last year and he probably won't at all this year. That doesn't mean he can't move and we can still provide him a better gameplan than standing in the pocket waiting on 2WR on slow developing routes. 

I'm of the mindset that he is a good enough passer to be successful without all the read option dynamics. Yeah he is young and no he isn't Eli passing from the pocket yet. We can still play to his strengths and help him out a little with things like bootlegs, rollouts and quicker pass routes with more 4WR spread looks.

He might not be ready yet but we sure as hell aren't making it easier on him for some unknown reason. I think a lot of it is timing and confidence which should come back more and more each game. We still need better gameplans to help him out. 

I am not ready to throw in the towel on the season or RG3 yet. 

The defense needs to step up and give RG3 some time. He still can't plant the foot just right as he favors the hurt leg still. Everything starts with the big boys up front. It's still early on the season and last season the Skins didn't start out well picked up the game and won the NFC East. I don't know if RG3 has been told not to run or he can't but there have been flashes of the old RG3 in the last game.

The defense needs to step up and give RG3 some time. He still can't plant the foot just right as he favors the hurt leg still. Everything starts with the big boys up front. It's still early on the season and last season the Skins didn't start out well picked up the game and won the NFC East. I don't know if RG3 has been told not to run or he can't but there have been flashes of the old RG3 in the last game.

Remember the play where he escaped the pocket right and pointed to a reciever before running out of bounds close to the LOS? That was very "RgIII-ish."

my biggest issue right now is not that RGIII is as mobile as he used to, but more that he's lost a lot of his elusiveness. I couldn't care less if you can run a 4.3. If you can't make a couple backers miss or feel pocket pressure that's when you know youre in trouble. With that said, I know that RGIII will figure it out. They will make the playoffs and will prove all of the nay sayers wrong again.

LET's GO RGIII!!!!! HTTR!!!

I wonder what the logic of the knee brace is.  Column on nfl.com with Garcon saying RGIII isn't as fast as he use to be because of the brace... but if everything is fine with him then why wear the brace?  If it's a "just in case" precaution, then we have to change this offense NOW because that's basically like telling Kirk Cousins to run the read option offense and that just won't work.  Kirk isn't a running threat like we all know RGIII to be.  

When will the brace come off?  Is it here to stay?

Archived