Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn (Barnwell): Time To Worry? (First Part On Skins)

hail2skins

In terms of benching RGIII, I think the question becomes WHY isn't he playing well.  If he's not playing well because he's not 100%, I think you bench him.  If he's not playing well because he doesn't have confidence in the knee and that is true in practice, I think you bench him.

In either case, he's likely to learn bad habits that will long term be an issue.

If he is 100% and is doing fine in terms of trusting the knee and mechanics during practice, but then having issues in games, then I think you can have to play him and continue to work on the mechanics and like during practice.

Either way, the way they've been being blown out, I don't think changing the QB is going to change much.

But if you are re-enforcing bad habits, and can't practice out of them (they are happening in practice too) that's an issue.

QFT.

If he's hurt, a healthy Cousins gives us a better chance to win.

If he's rusty then you gotta let him play and hope and pray he figures it out while we still have a chance at salvaging the season.

They've already missed the boat on benching RGIII.. The longer the season goes the harder it'll be.. Not that I'd condone it anyway, but if he wasn't going to start, it should of happened on MNF against the Eagles.. I don't think anyone (outside of the org.) knows what's up with him at this point. Are they telling him NOT to run with the ball or scramble? Is it him or the staff not wanting to run any RO? Is he just not trusting the knee yet? Is he rusty? If we ever get answers to those questions it'll be alot easier to decide how to proceed in the future..

I really hope they've not all decided that their going to try and turn him into a pocket passer.. He's only a franchise QB if he has the ability (or at least the threat) to beat you with his legs as well as his arm.. The "threat" to run the ball HAS to be part of RGIII, imo., for him to be the success story we want.. Just my opinion..

It was a good article, except this part: 

Those inflated expectations are also fueling the throng that is insisting that something is wrong with Washington. To be quite honest, Washington isn't as good of a team as the Packers are, and it's obvious that they're not more talented than the Eagles. Fans remembered the season-ending 7-0 run and penciled Washington in for more of that in 2013, but the 3-6 run that began the season is just as important. That stretch saw Washington lose to the Rams, Bengals, Falcons, Giants, Steelers, and Panthers, with the Carolina loss coming at home. It was so far removed from the playoffs that Mike Shanahan basically gave up on the season after the Panthers loss and said he was using the rest of the year to evaluate players. Those Washington games mean just as much as the ones from the 7-0 finish, since there's no momentum carryover effect from the previous year.

That is utter bs. Carryover momentum or not, you don't go 7-0 to finish the regular season against teams that were incredibly hot while also handling the Seahawks in the playoffs before Robert tweaked his knee, and say that it means the same as the previous 3-6. 

Just stupid. 

Excellent article.

Simply put, the kool aid was too strong coming into this season

I don't think so. I do think we should've understood more just how devastating the cap penalty has been in terms of our secondary while also expecting Robert to not be full speed ahead come game one.

I think we overlooked those two things too much but, otherwise, I don't think the kool aid was too strong. What the team accomplished last year with the second most starters lost to injury in the NFL WAS HUGE and should never be downplayed. 

Right now, as it stands, if we can get some improvement in the secondary, especially tackling guys right after the catch, and Robert starts games out sharper, we're going to (at least) be able to compete with anyone. If that happens and on top of that Special Teams and the rest of the Defense improve in general (defense with turnovers mainly), we'll win most games.

Essentially, I think Mike is working hardest on solving these things:

1- Tackling in the secondary.

2- Robert's footwork. This is the root cause for our third down woes in my mind. 

3- Special Teams penalties and Chris Thompson making more plays.

4-  Turnovers generated by D. 

If we get those 4 things even slightly improved next week, we'll be back on track. If not, we'll have to watch yet another stinker.  

Yeah plus in that 3-6 start they were in every single game right to the end. They were never blown out. They lost all of 'em because the defense couldn't hold leads.

Those 6 loses and these 2 losses are nothing alike, hold none of the same characteristics, besides maybe a bad defense.

If we were 0-2 and scoring well in the first half but tanking in 2h the freaking out would still be happening. No QBs are consistently great through a game. All have their highs and lows. We also habe to remember that we had 7 penalties for nearly 80 yards against GB and many of those turned 2nd and 5 into second and 15, 3rd and shor into third and next to impossible. No one is mentionoing the sloppy procedural penalties.

There is no way Shanahan should be on the hot seat this season, regardless of the record. He was dealt a terrible hand with the cap penalties and was handcuffed for two years because of it. Had we had that cap money available, the team could look vastly different even with one or two really good free agents. I think he's earned the right to two more offseasons to try and pick up a free agent or two to fill some of the holes.

As much as this makes sense, and I do agree with it, It's just sad to see excuse after excuse after excuse for the Redskins. Every season It's always something. Albert Haynesworth, the cap penalties, over paying for Garcon, whatever. 2005, 2007 and 2012. That's not consistent. Will we ever be a team with consistency? Or is there always going to be an excuse and more drama around the corner? I will always root for my Redskins, but damn it, when is it going to pay off? The season is far from over, but ask yourself, is there anything at all different from what you see today versus the past 15 years from this Redskins team other than a different coach and players? Same **** different day. I mean seriously, the Redskins won 5 games in a row to make the playoffs in 2005 and we virtually had to do the same thing in both 2007 and 2012. So I ask again, what exactly is different? Sure, the Skins have a great QB and RB. What else? They had a good defense in 2005. What else did they have? Nothing. It's always been that way.

I hope for a big run from the Redskins. We the fans deserve it, but until we figure out what the real problem is, I can't hope for much more than what I have seen in the past. I hope the Redskins destroy the Lions this Sunday, but I can't say I'm going to be disappointed if they don't. It's just going to be another day in Redskins nation.

We start 0-4 and Shanny is on the hot.  We finish 5-11 or worse and Dan is firing up SnyderOne to find Shanny's successor.

Shanny needs to finish at least 6-8 or else Snyder will seriously be thinking about the next big name.  

No he's not. That is just you projecting your own impatience onto Snyder.

Snyder got that "impatient" tag from one HC coach firing: Schottenhiemer  (sp), and in that case, Snyder fired Schotty the GM, not Schotty the HC.

I don't think Snyder is going to be in any big rush to get rid of Shanahan. Keep in mind, after two miserable seasons with Spurrier, he was trying to convince Spurrier to stay and work it out. He tried to talk Gibbs out of retiring. He went through a tiring coaching search that only landed him Zorn. I don't think he wants to do that again.

I feel that unless the wheels COMPLETELY come off (and we are nowhere near to that), the only way Shanahan leaves here is if he chooses to on his own.

I have been in the tank for Shanny from the get go, but I can't dismiss his critics who say that he has struggled to produce a good defense for most of his career, especially his more recent years.

Where he lost me last year was around the time they went 3-6, he said this is a top 5 defense when healthy.  IMO back then it sounded absurd.  This year, he mostly has a healthy defense in terms of front line starters, and it looks nothing like a top 5 defense.  Mike Lombardi in an interview last year said the difference between Bill Belichick and Shanny (Lombardi worked with both) was that Bill never seem satisfied with his roster, whereas Shanny would also convince himself and others that his roster was loaded.

I am mostly impressed with what Shanny has done to built a good and inventive offense.  I've been mostly unimpressed with the defense.  this pretty much dovetails with Shanny's rep.  I still give him the benefit of the doubt to turn things around.  But IMO if he thinks this is a top 5 defense talent wise, it plays into Lombardi's thought that Shanny can be delusional about his talent.   

As much as this makes sense, and I do agree with it, It's just sad to see excuse after excuse after excuse for the Redskins. Every season It's always something. Albert Haynesworth, the cap penalties, over paying for Garcon, whatever. 2005, 2007 and 2012. That's not consistent. Will we ever be a team with consistency? Or is there always going to be an excuse and more drama around the corner? I will always root for my Redskins, but damn it, when is it going to pay off? The season is far from over, but ask yourself, is there anything at all different from what you see today versus the past 15 years from this Redskins team other than a different coach and players? Same **** different day. I mean seriously, the Redskins won 5 games in a row to make the playoffs in 2005 and we virtually had to do the same thing in both 2007 and 2012. So I ask again, what exactly is different? Sure, the Skins have a great QB and RB. What else? They had a good defense in 2005. What else did they have? Nothing. It's always been that way.

I hope for a big run from the Redskins. We the fans deserve it, but until we figure out what the real problem is, I can't hope for much more than what I have seen in the past. I hope the Redskins destroy the Lions this Sunday, but I can't say I'm going to be disappointed if they don't. It's just going to be another day in Redskins nation.

This.  We're in Year 4 of the Shanaplan, and this still isn't a consistently good football team.  It's 2006 all over again - a down year following an up year.  The team name should be changed to the Washington Bipolars. 

Someone mentioned the author didn't use the term Redskins. Not clicking on this garbage out of protest.

I agree with Smooters. I'm starting to have my doubts we'll ever be a contender, even with Griffin. I'll be 85, on my deathbed watching us in a SB and my luck I'll die at halftime with us behind, only to never see us win our first SB since SB 26.

They've already missed the boat on benching RGIII.. The longer the season goes the harder it'll be.. Not that I'd condone it anyway, but if he wasn't going to start, it should of happened on MNF against the Eagles.. I don't think anyone (outside of the org.) knows what's up with him at this point. Are they telling him NOT to run with the ball or scramble? Is it him or the staff not wanting to run any RO? Is he just not trusting the knee yet? Is he rusty? If we ever get answers to those questions it'll be alot easier to decide how to proceed in the future..

I really hope they've not all decided that their going to try and turn him into a pocket passer.. He's only a franchise QB if he has the ability (or at least the threat) to beat you with his legs as well as his arm.. The "threat" to run the ball HAS to be part of RGIII, imo., for him to be the success story we want.. Just my opinion..

I agree with this.  RGIII should not have started the season, he should have started after the bye week.  I believe the staff took a lot of the playbook away (we have not seen many bootlegs, RO, etc) to make sure RGIII eases into the speed of the game.  I expect to see more of this this week (especially since Detroit has a 4-3 D).  

We all know in order RGIII can be the QB we want him to be he must use his athletic ability and legs, otherwise it will take a couple of years for him to be a Tom Brady type QB.  he can do it but everyone must realize unlike Luck he never had the training in college to be a pocket QB.  this is why everyone one was saying Luck is a better "fit" to be an NFL QB.  he is a QB that can run if needed but RGIII is a QB that needs to be mobile to be successful.

The cap penalty has been a huge difficulty for this team.  Shanahan and Allen have done a great job of navigating so many inherited problems.  They basically started with a worse situation than an expansion team.

I agree with this. I'm sure John Mara is enjoying our struggles right now. We need to fight through this and show that piece of sh*t that we can overcome whatever he throws at us.

I don't think so. I do think we should've understood more just how devastating the cap penalty has been in terms of our secondary while also expecting Robert to not be full speed ahead come game one. 

We gave up three premium picks to get Robert, two of which have passed. THATS TWO MISSING UPGRADED STARTERS FOR THIS TEAM.

We got hit with the most BS unjustified cap penalty in NFL history. In my opinion, THATS TWO MISSING UPGRADED STARTERS FOR THIS TEAM.

Robert got hurt in the last game of our season last year, and spent his offseason rehabbing instead of polishing a pocket passing game. YOU CANT JUST MAKE UP FOR THAT MISSED PRACTICE TIME.

Those three things were huge restrictors starting this season. The good and bad news is all 3 will be overcome in time - patience is key. The great news is, and peeps need to remember, is that FINALLY WE ARE SET LONG TERM AT QB. RG3 is incredibly talented, and most importantly wants nothing more than to be great. Take a chill pill and just enjoy watching him play!

I don't agree with the "too far out of it to run the ball" considering the reason we couldn't keep running the ball is because it's been ineffective and another result of so many 3 and outs.

That's one thing I've never understood, you go down by a score or two and everyone seems to jumps to panic mode and thinks you have to pass to keep up.  Mind you, this is all in the first half.

Great article!

See this is why I was against drafting Cousins and not simply having Rex back up Griffin. We have drama from so called analyst and moronic fans trying to bench our franchise QB in week #2 of his 2nd year, returning from major reconstructive knee surgery!  Its just insane!! But all in all I have to remember that we'd have this same drama even if Rex was backing up Griff. Some crazy fan or analyst would be lobbying for Grossman to start over RG3. So it just comes with the territory I guess.

You know for some reason I really think having the brace on is holding him back.  Perhaps some physically, but more so mentally.  It makes me think of the scene in The Dark Knight Rises when Bruce is in the jail in the deep pit trying to make the jump to get to a ledge to climb out....and he's attached to a rope and he keeps failing over and over....and the only thing that gave him the ability to make it to the ledge was to "jump without the rope."  Some of you may laugh at this example, but I think it provides an interesting philosophical and psychological point that sometimes knowing that you have a safety is what keeps the thought of failing alive.  And that thought alone prevents you from success.  Ditching it allows you to perform without the fear of failure because failure is simply not an option. 

I think having the brace on is a reminder that he could hurt his knee again.  And if he truly is 100% then playing without it shouldn't be a risk.  That being said, he may not be a true 100% and the brace is likely here to stay this season.  But I hope that it gets to the point where he forgets its there or he just decides to "jump without the rope".

Hail.

I give him credit on Cousins because I have been preaching this for ever that Cousins would not be a better option than RG3 right now or any other instance because the stats just do not show it especially against quality opponents.. I am not so sure on the draft picks because the Skins still had 2-7 this year and next year and could have definitely hit on quality starting and depth players. First rounders do not always pan out to be star players. For the most part, teams find their starters these days in the second through fourth round when it comes to starters. There seems to be more first round busts than major hits. Still do not think the sky is falling just a matter of beating Detroit. If the Skins can do that then that will get the ball rolling.

Archived