Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn (Barnwell): Time To Worry? (First Part On Skins)

hail2skins

I was talking with a friend today and we were thinking to ourselves about the state of the franchise. If this team doesn't make the playoffs this year like 7-9, does MS have to make a deep run(nfc championship) next year in order to justify being here for year 6? 

The cap penalty has been a huge difficulty for this team.  Shanahan and Allen have done a great job of navigating so many inherited problems.  They basically started with a worse situation than an expansion team.

Extensions normally happen before the final year of the end of the contract and barring a total meltdown of the likes of 4-12/5-11, its hard to see Shanny NOT getting extended after this year. After that, I think a winning record in 2014 would suffice for Snyder to keep him on. However, I can see back-to-back losing seasons in 2013-14 being cause for maybe Snyder to lose patience and chuck it, even after signing Mike to an extension.

I just can't see how we can invest in more time in MS if you don't win a playoff game in 5 years.

He's a Super Bowl coach who will be inducted to the HOF after he leaves. You can't expect him to return if he has no guaranteed contract, nor should he.

I'm perfectly fine with whatever Bruce Allen wants to do to be perfectly honest.

I notice the author of that piece takes great pains to avoid mentioning the word 'Redskins'. 

Otherwise, it is a good piece.  I disagree about Garcon, I think he's been worth the money so far.  But the author was right about the right side of the line, he was right about the secondary, and he was right about Josh Morgan. 

I wonder if Shanahan hangs it up after year five if this season and next are mediocre.  I don't think he gets an extension this year, perhaps next if we do well.  This year is a developing disaster. 

Oh, and if we can't beat the Lions, at home, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.  Arizona just beat them for goodness sake.

Reading the Wiki entry on Tom Coughlin, seems like the Giants have given him one-year contract extensions at various times (all prior to the final year of the existing contract), which were subsequently extended after the Giants won their Lombardis.

If the Skins finish with a pedestrian but not horrible 8-8 record or so this season, maybe after the season ends you extend Mike thru 2015, and let the performance in 2014 dictate whether he's extended beyond that.

I just can't see how we can invest in more time in MS if you don't win a playoff game in 5 years.

Yea. 5 years without a playoff win would be rough. How can one justify an extension?

But do we really blow it all up and start all over? Bring in a new coaching staff with a new philosophy? Spend years trying to gather the right pieces again? Seems exhausting.

Seems like both options are terrible.

That is a great piece and should be mandatory reading.

There are some bitter pills to swallow in there made all the harder by last years improbable run but the hard truth is there's more heavy lifting to be done while this franchise is rebuilt. 

As far as Shanahan goes, we are enjoying some stability as a franchise for the first time in a long time.  I personally am not ready to get on that carosel again,... yet.

The problem with inserting Cousins is that if he doesn't produce immediate results (wins) himself, then all you basically did was make the situation worse because you have delayed the reps RGIII needs to get back into form, and lost more games in the process.

Everyone assumes Cousins = wins, but lets say Cousins comes in, plays decent but the team still loses games. What exactly has been accomplished?

I'd gladly take 1-3 or even 0-4 even if it meant a 7-9/8-8 season in 2013, but RGIII is ready to set the world on fire in 2014 with a full regular offseason and an offseason without the stupid cap penalty so hopefully some improvement to the O-line and/or secondary.

The problem with inserting Cousins is that if he doesn't produce immediate results (wins) himself, then all you basically did was make the situation worse because you have delayed the reps RGIII needs to get back into form, and lost more games in the process.

Everyone assumes Cousins = wins, but lets say Cousins comes in, plays decent but the team still loses games. What exactly has been accomplished?

I'd gladly take 1-3 or even 0-4 even if it meant a 7-9/8-8 season in 2013, but RGIII is ready to set the world on fire in 2014 with a full regular offseason and an offseason without the stupid cap penalty so hopefully some improvement to the O-line and/or secondary.

Exactly.

Those that aren't willing to let RG3 work out his issues will suddenly have the patience to let Cousins work it out if he doesn't set the world on fire when he comes in! (he won't, don't worry)

What do we do then?

Yea. 5 years without a playoff win would be rough. How can one justify an extension?

But do we really blow it all up and start all over? Bring in a new coaching staff with a new philosophy? Spend years trying to gather the right pieces again? Seems exhausting.

Seems like both options are terrible.

This post speaks to how terrible Dan Snyder has been at deciding on handling the teams front office and setting the organizations identity. A new coach should not mean a new everything. The next hire should fit so that the team doesn't have to hit the reset button and blow up the roster. Coaching hires should fit the team identity just like players and everyone else. Please no more whiplash inducing hires like Norv to Schottenheimer to Spurrier to Gibbs.

Yep. That was my only gripe as well. I think Garçon is just fine.

Last year - playing hurt - he was on pace for a 1,000 season.

While early, this year he is on pace for 1,600 yards. He won't get there, but 1,200 is very realistic. Add that he is fairly young for a WR at 27 and I think e is worth the contract.

Now Josh Morgan . . .

This post speaks to how terrible Dan Snyder has been at deciding on handling the teams front office and setting the organizations identity. A new coach should not mean a new everything. The next hire should fit so that the team doesn't have to hit the reset button and blow up the roster. Coaching hires should fit the team identity just like players and everyone else. Please no more whiplash inducing hires like Norv to Schottenheimer to Spurrier to Gibbs.

True. Also, transitioning to new coaching staff is much easier I you have a franchise QB like RG3.

In terms of benching RGIII, I think the question becomes WHY isn't he playing well.  If he's not playing well because he's not 100%, I think you bench him.  If he's not playing well because he doesn't have confidence in the knee and that is true in practice, I think you bench him.

In either case, he's likely to learn bad habits that will long term be an issue.

If he is 100% and is doing fine in terms of trusting the knee and mechanics during practice, but then having issues in games, then I think you can have to play him and continue to work on the mechanics and like during practice.

Either way, the way they've been being blown out, I don't think changing the QB is going to change much.

But if you are re-enforcing bad habits, and can't practice out of them (they are happening in practice too) that's an issue.

We start 0-4 and Shanny is on the hot.  We finish 5-11 or worse and Dan is firing up SnyderOne to find Shanny's successor.

Shanny needs to finish at least 6-8 or else Snyder will seriously be thinking about the next big name.   The Skins can live with a non-playoff year and even a losing record of 6-10 or 7-9.  Anything worse than that and Snyder will be casting his eye elsewhere.

The only way I see Cousins playing is if the team isn't showing improvement by midseason or so. Even then, I'd only put him in if they wanted to revamp the o-line and didn't want Griff killed while it gels. This has the side benefit of (hopefully) showcasing Cousins for a trade down the road. As of now though? Crazy talk to bench him.

Archived