Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys, We Could Be Tied For The Division Lead Next Week.

DCthomahal

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not asking Skins fans to look on the bright side of our team.

I am asking you to look on the dark side of the NFC East ...and use that as reason to climb the heck down off the bridge railing.

While I do not share the extreme gloom and doom of some in our community, I am not demanding that people abstain from venting about how rather unbelievably miserable the start to the season has been. I am definitely not making the case that our problems are all superficial and that it is silly to get too wrapped up in them. I am not saying that the only reasonable outcome to all this is that our team puts it all together and turns things around like they did last year.

I AM saying that if Dallass looses to St. Louis and the Iggles loose to Kansas City and we beat Detroit, that every team in our division will have (and richly deserve) a loosing record*. You could say that we could all end up being tied for first place. At this point, I think it is more accurate to say we could all be tied for last place, myself ...but whatever, we could all somewhat easily be 1-2 after next week.

Does that mean everything is hunkey dorrey and people are being ridiculous for saying the sky is falling? Not in my opinion. Does it mean that we should all turn a blind eye to all the profound problems on glaring display after the first two games? Nope. Does it mean that all of us fans who have dealt with DECADES of “maybe it's not as bad as it seems,” “we are still technically ok,” “If only this and that and the other happen then...” ETC. ETC. ETC. are just whiners? Not as I see it.

It simply means that it is too early, especially in our division, to dismiss this season and this team. We have turned it around recently with a roster that is almost eerily unchanged from late last year. Alfred started to get on track this week, Kerrigan did some great things, Garcon seemed to play well, Reed looks pretty darn good ...it may seem like EVERYTHING has gone wrong, but that IS an overstatement. Not by a huge amount, yeah, ya got me on that one, folks. But it is an overstatement.

So, while it may kill us to abandon the confidence and trust we allowed ourselves to YET AGAIN invest in the Redskins (man, can us fans who have been around the last 20 yrs or more name that tune in one note), I submit that it is not YET time to abandon our 2013 season, much less abandon the team altogether.

*BELIEVE in Tony “OhNooooo” Romooooo (feel free to do that in Keith Jackson voice). Trust in the Iggles defense. DEFINITELY could happen.

Mods, please feel perfectly free to merge this with whichever thread you'd want.

But it can't be argued that we have looked the worst so far. We have yet to be in any game as opposed to Philly, Dallas and NY. One thing's for sure, we can never say the media hasn't given us any love. We got madd love this offseason and has looked totally inept so far.

I find it hard to really worry too much about division standings right now because of how dreadful the Redskins have been playing.  Can they beat the Lions?  That's what I want to know.  It's early enough that a few wins can turn it all around.  If they keep losing the season might mimic what we've already seen on the field with the team getting it going only after it's already too late.      

But it can't be argued that we have looked the worst so far. We have yet to ne on any game as opposed to Philly, Dallas and NY.

It's a toss up between NY and the Redskins.  Both teams turned the ball over too much against division opponents early but managed to make it look respectable by the final whistle.  Both were completely blown out the following week by very good teams. 

I find it hard to really worry too much about division standings right now because of how dreadful the Redskins have been playing.  Can they beat the Lions?  That's what I want to know.  It's early enough that a few wins can turn it all around.  If they keep losing the season might mimic what we've already seen on the field with the team getting it going only after it's already too late.       It's a toss up between NY and the Redskins.  Both teams turned the ball over too much against division opponents early but managed to make it look respectable by the final whistle.  Both were completely blown out the following week by very good teams. 

I don't remember them ever falling to far behind Dallas. If it wasn't for the TO's, they probably win. We were never realisticly in either game we played so far.

I keep thinking to myself, considering how they played in the first half of both games (plus mop up time)... are they SERIOUSLY going to do anything similar with Detroit... especially with facing the fans again? I believe they will NOT. I don't care what the others do (although losing would be nice)... beat the Lions, beat the Raiders, and then beat the Cowboys after the bye so we can get this team BACK to square one.

Yeah the problem is we are talking about division standings in September, not December.

Sure, the entire division could be under .500 in a month's time, but which team has easily looked like the worst?

The NYG haven't looked too good either but the 'Skins have looked joke-worthy through two games.

For me I am not concerned about the short term anymore. Honestly, until RGIII looks 100% again I can't really be mad about the results of the team. I just don't expect this type of offense to do anything with a recovering QB.

To me the bigger issue is how long it will take RGIII to be RGIII and if that makes everything magically get better the way it magically made the 2012 offense good.

Sure the Skins can still contend for the division.   Its not that we are 0-2 it is the way we went 0-2.  This team is literraly terrible in all 3 phases of the game.  I can see the offense getting better.    But the secondary will be a weakness all year long.  As much as I hate to say it, Dallas looks the best of this young season.

Until Robert starts planting his, throwing off his back foot and stop slinging the rock, the future is dire.  I feel like it is the second half of the playoff game all over.

I am tired of listening to his pre-game, side-line, "it is not one person, it is the team" speech, but I DO NOT BLAME HIM.  The media keeps force-feeding him to the public.  I know it won't stop, I just wish it would.

The Rook

All i'm saying is this, I REFUSE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to give up on Robert. All this garbage about putting Cousins in makes me sick. This guy came to a franchise that was the laughing stock of the league and made it credible.  Robert needs to play. He's healthy, he needs to play and get better. Those who aren't rallying around him through this process just don't get it

All i'm saying is this, I REFUSE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES to give up on Robert. All this garbage about putting Cousins in makes me sick. This guy came to a franchise that was the laughing stock of the league and made it credible.  Robert needs to play. He's healthy, he needs to play and get better. Those who aren't rallying around him through this process just don't get it

Some fans only care about winning period. No matter the QB, he could be part of the blue man group and if he is leading Washington to wins then he is the man. I can't fault people for that perspective. I don't see anyone giving up on him just nobody wants this season to go down the drain with a guy who they feel may not figure it out until much later in the season. The pressure is on him to figure it out ASAP. We don't even have our first this year. A losing record point blank is too rich for our blood right now. 

I was looking at this possibility after the GB game as well.  Philly could definitely lose to KC who just beat Dal@ss.  Dal@ss losing to the Rams may be more difficult but still possible.  However, everything is moot if the Skins can't get in the W column vs Detroit.  That's not only for the sake of the division, but also for their confidence.  This team looks just horrific at the start of games that it becomes inevitable as far as the final outcome is concerned.  Like last year, they need to take care of their of their own business and everything else will take care of itself.

The thing is this is moot until they win a game.  I'm not dismissing anything, but for the first two games, they have looked like utter garbage until the game is lost anyway.  I still believe in this team over the long haul, but I won't look at this situation and rationalize it to how other teams are doing to give myself a warm and fuzzy.   

Our team from top to bottom needs to get their collective heads out of their asses and flat out play and coach better!!  For most of the past two games they have looked like a pack of deer in the headlights.  They need to be the team they should be, not this farce we have had to watch for the first two weeks.  For the most part, I can handle dissapointing losses when the team plays fairly well, sometimes you lose.  Ce la vie.  What I can't handle, is watching a team full of very talented professionals go out on the field, and look like they are playing the game for the first time.

Once they start handling their business, then I will be happy discuss the merits of them vs. the other teams in the Division.   

We started the season 1-2 last year. I just want us to win the next two, go into the bye and make the fixes that need to me made and come out a stronger team down the stretch.

This is one time it might be a boon to have such an early bye. On the other hand... how much can we really fix in the bye week? Tackling? Penalties? Missed assignments? Blocking? ST coverage? Punting? Yada, yada, yada.

I find myself clinging to the few bright spots - Riley, Reed, Kerrigan, Orakpo, Garçon, TW. Maybe a couple others. Mostly though, this team across the board have been a huge embarrassment, and I say that as a skeptic trending toward optimist. My glimmer of hope is, injuries aside (knock on wood), there's nowhere to go but up - and last year showed our potential.

Forget the division, I'd just like to be within two touchdowns at halftime. That would be progress.

Oh and an offensive TD in the first half.

Heck, I'd take a field goal. A few sustained drives (in the first half) would be a bonus. A couple third down conversions wouldn't go amiss either. I feel like a game will come when things just click as they did last year, but it's hard to believe.

I'm not sure why people often respond to these posts with stuff like, "well, we are playing like crap right now, so it's moot." I don't think anyone starts a thread like this thinking, "if we keep playing poorly we have a chance..." The assumption is qualified by an "if"--it's not like posters like the OP are saying, "it will happen." It's just a scenario that, ya know, makes following your team fun. If you as a fan reduce everything to, "we are playing like crap, there's no hope for the future, even though we returned a team that went 10-6 and won the division last year, whatever happened in the first two games will happen the rest of the way until I see otherwise, so as far as I'm concerned, we're going 0-16 and will never win again" then shouldn't you get a new hobby or something? Also, we're fans: we don't have to focus on one game at a time like the players. I'm not on the team; I'm not earning a paycheck to play for the Redskins. I could croak tomorrow and no one in the Redskins' organization would know or care. So....I (and others) are free to think about any sunshine scenario I (we) want without it having any bearing on the games. There are plenty of things to be constantly miserable about...your team starting 0-2 against a brand new offense and the Packers at LF isn't one of them. I still have faith in this team, not because I'm a homer, but because it's been exactly one week since the Redskins were considered a legitimate playoff contender and it's absurd to give up on that hope seven freaking days later. 

Archived