Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pressure Vs. Packers: Something Will Give

I found the Cofield statement on Meriweather's play speed like Super Mario getting a star quite amusing. I then thought it was quite accurate considering both his performance and the fact he lasted in the game about as long as the power of the start does for Super Mario. 

Here's what Barry Cofield had to say about Brandon Meriweather, who should be able to play for the first time this year on Sunday. That game he played last year, it was like he had a star in Mario Brothers. He was running through everything, he was invincible. He was in turbo speed and we were all regular people. So if he can give us half of that, that'll be great. He's going to be hungry, he’s a smart guy, he's been in meetings the whole time. If he can get out there and get healthy and get his confidence back I think he'll help make us a better defense

Below is a similar break down of the pash rush matchup with GBs young tackles. I like the possibilities here not only for Orakpo/Kerrigan but mixing packages by adding Jenkins/Tapp. I'd love to see what we can do if we load Jenkins on the right side playing an outside LB while Kerrigan is in a 3 point stance over top the tackle. It sure looked good in preseaon.

Redskins OLBs vs. Packers Tackles

A strength of an otherwise very-suspect Redskins defense are the outside linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan. Orakpo is coming off a 2012 season where he got injured less than a game-and-a-half into the year, but he was able to harass Michael Vick in the loss to Philadelphia last week, knocking him down once and hurrying him five more times. Kerrigan was less productive on more blitzes (32 to Orakpo’s 26) but still sacked Vick once and got pressure three more times, including forcing the Eagles’ QB into a Perry Reilly sack.

The Redskins’ duo will be going up against David Bakhtiari and Don Barclay. Rookie Bakhtiari is the one responsible for Rodgers’ blindside and was beat for two sacks last week by Aldon Smith, as well as two more hurries. Getting beat by Smith is nothing to be ashamed of but he could be in for another long day against Orakpo. Barclay fared better, conceding three pressures, only one of which was a QB hit. The 2012 free agent will primarily line up against Kerrigan, who seems poised to play after a concussion scare following the Monday night game. Kerrigan’s production disrupting QBs has never equaled Orakpo, but Orakpo’s presence alone (especially against a rookie) should give Kerrigan more one-on-one opportunities. The Redskins know they can’t give Aaron Rodgers time to pick apart their secondary, and this matchup could be pivotal in the contest.

It will be interesting to see how our defense plays against a "standard style" NFL offense. Have we fixed our pass rush on a pocket passer, can we cover down field and stop the "big" plays that hurt us last year, has Mr. Fletcher lost too many steps to be a force. On Offense, we have to hit the reset button and see if RG3 will drive the ball with his back foot and not have a fear of following thru on the front foot (and if he doesn't will our coach have the guts to put in Mr. Cousins), is Morris a one year wonder, can our O-line get to the second level (i.e. LB's) on running plays, will WR's be able to help RG3 out by getting to off target balls? AND the BIG QUESTION, Can Boo Boo Bradon Meriweather find the field at game time? We found out just how bad we can be in the first half of last weeks game, now let's see the heart of this team, is it as big as the team that won 7 in a row last year? If not, this could be a long season. I am looking for a Redskins win 38 to 28.

Archived