Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Examiner: Companies Lay Off Thousands, Then Demand Immigration Reform For New Labor

WakkaWakka

I thought STEM grants and scholarships were more available than students willing to use them?

maybe I'm wrong

I haven't seen evidence for a lot of significant money being offered (that isn't also tied to eligibility for financial aid). Degree-specific aid is more typically tied to majors for socially beneficial careers that don't have higher earnings. However, there seems to be no shortage of students willing to take on large debt to pursue degrees that don't improve job prospects much.

Why aren't we handing out scholarships/grants to US kids to attend colleges and universities and prepare our kids for high paying, high tech jobs instead of supporting foreign students?

How are we "supporting foreign students"? Overseas students typically pay huge tuition bills. Unless you are talking about resident illegal aliens, but they are treated as in state, and that's a whole different debate.

Most college students know that there is a far better financial return for some bachelor degrees relative to others. The shortage of qualified engineering and comp sci graduates is related more to interests and academics entering college. Students might think about whether a two-year associates degree or technical qualification (that doesn't require the same level of math as engineering degrees) would serve them better than a general four year degree in business or communications.

Companies looking to recruit engineering and computer science majors from good colleges typically need to get them offers in their Fall semester of their senior year. If not getting them on board before, through well-paid summer intern programs.

Why aren't we handing out scholarships/grants to US kids to attend colleges and universities and prepare our kids for high paying, high tech jobs instead of supporting foreign students?  US students have to take out massive student loans to get through just 4 year degree programs let alone advanced degree programs.  It's the same reason why I question the massive foreign aid we hand out when our own infrastruction is crumbling and we need to invest here at home.

As far as I know, we don't "support foreign students" at all.   They pay full fare.  If they are subsidized, it is by their OWN governments.

We still get a lot of them here, because our universities are regarded as the best in the world.  The question is whether we keep them here once they enter the workforce.

Our foreign aid isn't massive either.  Less than one percent of the budget - and a large part of that is "food aid" which is really more of a domestic agricultural subsidy than foreign aid. 

Archived