Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sobriety Check: Nfc East Still Likely To Be Won With 9-7/10-6 Record.

NoCalMike

This "season is over" crap has got to stop folks. I know it is popular and par for the course to talk like that after every loss, but I think this time around it is much more a result of the fanbase getting so over-confident about a single game on the schedule that a loss, yes "a" as in a single loss, has got people in a tizzy.

Last night was what it was, but it happened in Week 1, a week in which is usually the most unpredictable and most uncharacteristic of what teams go on to do the rest of the season.

Does this mean the team is now going to go on a 10 game winning streak? Nope, but people seem to have already forgotten how silly the NYG & Cowboys looked in their slop fest on Sunday.  The Giants coughed the ball up 6 times.  That is highly unlike them to do that.  The Cowboys did their usual "look good one moment, ready to lose the game the next moment" act.

The NFC East by all accounts is a division where 10-6/9-7 is likely going to be what the winner of the division ends up at.  It's just not full of world-beater teams.

The team is 0-1.  The team got out to a 3-6 start in 2012 and won the division.  By no means do I think another 3-6 start would produce the same final standings as 2012, but the point is, this league is so week to week that you can't put so much stock into what happens in a single week of football, whether it is a crushing win or miserable defeat. Especially when the team came out of the game pretty much injury free.

Look around the league at some of the results from Week 1. Other than the Broncos, 49ers and Packers, there wasn't much "dominance" going on at all. It looked like a bunch of teams and players once again finding their football legs.

The last three times the 'Skins have made the playoffs:

5-6

5-7

3-6

Those are the records they started out with. Not saying you can always or should ever count on an incredible late season run, however all I am saying is that 0-1, even 0-2 does not make a season.

9-7 has been the record I've had us at all along to reclaim the division and that's where I stand. 

That said, I had us retaining at that in part down to the state of the other three. The Eagles have put a new slant on that. They'll upset teams this year and are a lot better overall team than I gave them credit for. 

Hail. 

I think 10-6 easily takes the division and 2nd place probably won't get the wildcard.

Only thing that concerned me is that this team really hasn't improved over last season. The only group I can say looks a bit better is the WR's, and that's being generous. I'm not surprised though, I expected this team to be stagnant this year, and an improvement next year.

I'll be happy with 8-8 & a clearer picture of what this team needs to get to move forward. No first rounder again makes it harder, but still doable.

You're seeing the "sky is falling" mentality because of a couple reasons:

1.)  Robert did not look like Robert be it due to rust, injury, etc.

2.)  Many position groups look like they did not improve and may have even regressed (o-line, safeties, d-line)

3.)  Our expectations were far too high (shocker)

4.)  We were outcoached and lost to a team where many thought we had a distinct advantage.

The reason to not get all pissy about it is because it is just one game.  We could have lost by 300 points and it would still be one loss.  We WILL look better this weekend...anything will be better than that pitiful first half.  Good players on our team had uncharacteristically bad games.  The division is still up for grabs, thats for sure.

While I do believe a 9-7 or 10-6 will make the playoffs, our schedule is BRUTAL.  We have to play the 49ers/Falcons as opposed to our partners playing Rams, Cardinals, Panthers, Bucs.  While all 4 of these teams are no slouches either, I would much rather them and even add the Seahawks in the mix as well (IMO they're highly overrated).  I'm much more concerned playing Kap+crew and Ryan+crew.  We really have to finish 3-3/4-2 in the division, win the games we should win, and possibly expect loses from Broncos, Packers, 49ers.  This team is capable of hanging with anyone though.....RG3 will put it together and knock the rust off.  I was just really irritated with the RG3 handcuff in the first half.  I'm all for running the ball, but the conservative handoffs and pitch plays within our own 5-15 yard line won't win games.  If I was Mike, I would of slapped Kyle in the face for running a pitch from our 5 yard line that tossed it in the endzone.  If your going play conservative and run, knock the pitch crap off and stretch plays and pound the rock to get us out of our own territory.

It's definitely still doable. I'd be more worried if it looked like we were horribly behind Dallas and New York and even the Eagles.

Second half, once our offense stopped sputtering a bit with rust, we looked okay with the eagles. I don't think, taking the game as a whole, we look at lot worse than New York or Dallas.

Looking at the schedule, my thought process was that if we can go 4-2 in the division we can win it. Now, the issue is that I would've guessed that those two loses would've came from the Giants and Dallas, and not Philly, but it's still doable to go 4-2 in the division.

Naturally our four "difficult" games are Atlanta, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Denver. My general thought when thinking about those four teams is that we may be able to "steal" one but probably go 1-3.

That would put us at 5-5. Leaving us with the Lions, Raiders, Bears, Chargers, Vikings, and Chiefs. Six games that should be "winnable" if we're a legit playoff teams. We manage to go 4 and 2 there, we have a shot at taking the division.

Is it going to be easy? Absolutely not. Especially if we don't "steal" one from the top teams we play, meaning we have to get an extra one in the division or in the "winnable" field. We definitely put ourselves at a disadvantage with the loss on Monday. But ultimately, it's DEFINITELY still doable.

10-6 isn't enough though.

This year the goal needs to be HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE and 13-3 or 12-4.  Minimum NFC Championship game appearance.

Anything less is a failure after last season.

In your head only

I'm not sure we should sleep on the Lions though. I can see us having just as much trouble with CJ and Bush as we did with McCoy and DJax. If there is anything we should have learned from week 1, it's how unpredictable this season (and any season for that matter) will be.

Terrified of that game...

Stafford > Vick

CJ > Jackson

Bush is maybe just below McCoy overall but may be the fastest dude in the league.

And running against Suh and Fairley will suck.

It's definitely still doable. I'd be more worried if it looked like we were horribly behind Dallas and New York and even the Eagles.

Second half, once our offense stopped sputtering a bit with rust, we looked okay with the eagles. I don't think, taking the game as a whole, we look at lot worse than New York or Dallas.

Looking at the schedule, my thought process was that if we can go 4-2 in the division we can win it. Now, the issue is that I would've guessed that those two loses would've came from the Giants and Dallas, and not Philly, but it's still doable to go 4-2 in the division.

Naturally our four "difficult" games are Atlanta, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Denver. My general thought when thinking about those four teams is that we may be able to "steal" one but probably go 1-3.

That would put us at 5-5. Leaving us with the Lions, Raiders, Bears, Chargers, Vikings, and Chiefs. Six games that should be "winnable" if we're a legit playoff teams. We manage to go 4 and 2 there, we have a shot at taking the division.

Is it going to be easy? Absolutely not. Especially if we don't "steal" one from the top teams we play, meaning we have to get an extra one in the division or in the "winnable" field. We definitely put ourselves at a disadvantage with the loss on Monday. But ultimately, it's DEFINITELY still doable.

You forgot San Francisco, on.......*you guessed it* Monday Night Football. Ugh.

Archived