Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Stat From Skins/eagles Game

Johnny Whiteguy

So we keep hearing about the Eagles first half dominance 53 plays, 21 first downs, blah, blah, blah.  Well lets look at our Redskins in the second half, by my count, 50 plays, 20 first downs.  Plus our D only gave up 4 first downs in the second half.  So there you have it. I call that great adjustments and RG3 getting his legs back.  Let them keep talking bout the hype machine Chip Kelly.  Was it impressive, yes, was it frustrating to watch it happen to us, yes, but we showed resilience in that second half and that we can do it just as good.  The 3 turnovers just added to the hype early.  Can't wait for week 2.

I don't even think they looked lost, first drive they move the ball then the defense forces a fumble and scores 7, keep in mind they are then put right back on the field and hold them to a FG.

Defense is pumped they sit can go over looks and catch their breath but wait......one play offense fumbles and the D is back on the field in less than 2 minutes inside the 20, Eagles score a TD, next possession safety, D back on the field, repeat this all night until Special teams and the O stopped hanging them out to dry. 

Your tired you miss tackles, your playing on a short field you give up points, you have rookies and people playing out of position they make mistakes. Telling you early that D is improved and it will definitely show over the next few games. Almost everything that could have gone wrong did and they still were one possession away from a game winning drive.  

So we keep hearing about the Eagles first half dominance 53 plays, 21 first downs, blah, blah, blah.  Well lets look at our Redskins in the second half, by my count, 50 plays, 20 first downs.  Plus our D only gave up 4 first downs in the second half.  So there you have it. I call that great adjustments and RG3 getting his legs back.  Let them keep talking bout the hype machine Chip Kelly.  Was it impressive, yes, was it frustrating to watch it happen to us, yes, but we showed resilience in that second half and that we can do it just as good.  The 3 turnovers just added to the hype early.  Can't wait for week 2.

Their offense let off the gas, and their defense let us have the underneath stuff which resulted in a lot of first downs during that second half. They figured we'll, at worst, waste a ton of time trying to score and/or screw up. The game resembled the season opener last year against the Saints and the Thanksgiving game in the sense the other team crawled back on the scoreboard, but the game was won early. 

Our run offense was putrid and unfortunately, until RGIII presents himself as a run threat, that may be a lingering issue. Anyone who watches 'Skins games know that our defense is awful against read-option and even worse against hurry-up offenses and they faced both last night. 

As good as the Packers are, I think our defense is better built to handle that type of offense than the one we faced last night. As far as offense, RGIII needs to get better or we need to somehow find a way to dominate with the run with Morris/Helu.

There is no way around the fact that the first half was a complete disaster. Not only did the Eagles look good, but the 'Skins helped them out even more by looking awful. The defense did settle the bleeding down somewhat once the Eagles went up 12-7, as the offense was given a few opportunities to at least get back in the game somewhat. Cobra Kai missed a field goal which at that point in the game I think would have made it 19-10. Instead it misses and again gives the Eagles a short field.

However in the 2nd half things turned around somewhat. The 'Skins battled their way back into the game.  Whether or not the Eagles played softer zone coverage due to the lead is up to your judgement, but I can say with certainty that no D-coordinator worth a lick should be taking things easy if their opponent is down less than 2 TDs with 9 minutes left in the game and on somewhat of a momentum shift. It just doesn't make sense. I can see up 33-7, 33-14, but once it became 33-20, it's silly to think the Eagles at that point would still be saying "eh, no worries"

Their offense let off the gas, and their defense let us have the underneath stuff which resulted in a lot of first downs during that second half. They figured we'll, at worst, waste a ton of time trying to score and/or screw up. The game resembled the season opener last year against the Saints and the Thanksgiving game in the sense the other team crawled back on the scoreboard, but the game was won early. 

Our run offense was putrid and unfortunately, until RGIII presents himself as a run threat, that may be a lingering issue. Anyone who watches 'Skins games know that our defense is awful against read-option and even worse against hurry-up offenses and they faced both last night. 

As good as the Packers are, I think our defense is better built to handle that type of offense than the one we faced last night. As far as offense, RGIII needs to get better or we need to somehow find a way to dominate with the run with Morris/Helu.

Their offense didn't let off the gas, they were gassed.  If anyone honestly believes this type of offense is sustainable in the NFL you got every bit of evidence you needed last night to prove it won't.  He doesn't have bluechippers sitting on the bench waiting to go in the way he did when he was at Oregon.  These are 53-man teams, not 85-90 or whatever College rosters are...

Look at all the drives, they scored a ton off of turnovers or starting field position in skins territory.  While there were missed tackles, I don't blame the defense at all in the first half.  Something no one has seen before - I think any defense would have been torched by the Eagles offense.

They didn't get off the field because the O was so horrible.  Forward to the second half, the offense (3rd and 4th) went up and down the field at ease, what they would have done in the first half if they didn't turn the ball over within the first couple plays on 3 different drives.   

One thing that drives me crazy about Haslett, is he always seems to be able to adjust to what a offense is throwing at him.... the problem is, he seems to refuse to do it "in-game" and makes adjustments only at half time. Is there any reason we cannot implement these changes on the fly ?!?!?

Not sure what game I was watching but, IMO, Philadelphia became more vanilla on offense in the second half with their big lead.  They turned to their "normal" offense where they ran the ball a whole bunch out of standard looks.  In the second half they did not use as many exotic formations as they did in the first half.

One thing that drives me crazy about Haslett, is he always seems to be able to adjust to what a offense is throwing at him.... the problem is, he seems to refuse to do it "in-game" and makes adjustments only at half time. Is there any reason we cannot implement these changes on the fly ?!?!?

Reminds me of the 1st game vs the Giants last season.

did you notice haslett was up in the booth? ive always seen him on the sideline. i know this doesnt account for previous games, but maybe he couldnt talk to all his players until halftime. I have no idea why he was up there.

The key stat is starting field position. Eagles scoring drives all started at own 38 or better (except for a FG that started at own 20)

i know turnovers were the biggest contributor to this, but every now and then rocca has to boot a 60 yarder when we're deep in our own territory. i just went back and looked and he had a 34 yard punt from our own endzone. he just doesnt have the leg.

Yeah, it really was a different ball game in the 2nd half ... the only points they scored was on a INT where they got the ball on our 30. 

Here are their next five drives: 

Drive Began  Outcome

PHI -30              Punt

PHI - 19             Fumble

PHI - 20             Punt

PHI - 42             Punt

WAS - 48          End of Game

This is a great point, and I wanted it to be focused on. I think Haslett's ability to adjust at the half was awesome during the seven game winning streak last season, but why was it always at half time? We seem to stick to the plan no matter what the first half, even when it's not working.

I know that in order to create turnovers, we like to show certain looks on defense and even allow the offense to "take" certain routes early on, only to show the same look later and then switch it up at the snap. That might have something to do with it. I don't know.

The problem is, if you're missing tackles and allowing guys to get massive YAC, that's going to put you behind real quick. And that's what happened to us.

I was also EXTREMELY disappointed in the lack of the exotic blitzes that made us so successful last season. I've been worried all offseason that Haslett would go back to the standard 3-4 alignment and rush the same guys while dropping everyone in coverage again. He does that especially when Orakpo is on the field, because he feels like that'll automatically generate pressure, so might as well drop everyone in coverage. It's foolish and nothing like the Steelers style of D we're trying to emulate. Olines are good enough in the NFL to handle 3 or 4 rushers more often than not, and can double team a guy easily.

The good news is, they adjusted and went back to some of that again... I just hated that it took two quarters.

Another interesting fact, they had only one semi-long scoring drive, and it was 62 yards.  Otherwise they couldnt score except when they got a short field.  Every other good offense in the NFL did this week.

Im afraid the Eagles might find they are overrated and come back to earth quite soon.

Their offense didn't let off the gas, they were gassed.  If anyone honestly believes this type of offense is sustainable in the NFL you got every bit of evidence you needed last night to prove it won't.  He doesn't have bluechippers sitting on the bench waiting to go in the way he did when he was at Oregon.  These are 53-man teams, not 85-90 or whatever College rosters are...

Try 45 players on game day to over 100 for his Oregon team.  i have been saying this on other boards and they are calling me a homer and sore looser.  Anyone see Vick by the middle of the 4th?  he was hurting, gassed, barely able to get to the line.  Also what would have happen if the the skins didn't have the safety and turnover on the first play?  That offense would have had to go a lot more yards to score those TDs, getting more tired.  

These are almost my exact thoughts. The scariest part about last game was it once again confirmed how bad our defense is against the read option and speedy QB's. Orakpo often finds himself getting abused when he has to tackle athletes in space. Our tackling as a team was AWFUL. McCoy made us look like a JV team. And him being an elite back does not make it "ok" to get gashed like that.

I don't believe the sky is falling, but I do believe that we have some serious problems that need to be adressed before we play Philly again because our defense has never handled offensive speed well.

Another interesting fact, they had only one semi-long scoring drive, and it was 62 yards.  Otherwise they couldnt score except when they got a short field.  Every other good offense in the NFL did this week.

Im afraid the Eagles might find they are overrated and come back to earth quite soon.

It'll take awhile, they play the Chargers next, who I think are a pretty bad team.  But it is an area of concern for them.

The scariest part about last game was it once again confirmed how bad our defense is against the read option and speedy QB's.

We were pretty good against Seattle in the playoffs.  Pretty much shutdown that high powered offense the whole game.

For the most part, our defense did just fine against the eagles.  Two turnovers, 1 returned for a TD.  Three punts in a row during the first half, three punts and a fumble during four straight defensive stands in the 2nd half. 

The problem was all on the offense.  If they don't give up the short drive (quick turnovers) and flip the field position a few times in the first half, the game likely won't have been close and the D likely would have had another turnover.

Archived