Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Griffin Iii: No Finger-Pointing In Locker Room

While it was nice to see RG3 throw for 300+ we can't rely on that week in & week out. To me it was obvious that he & Morris had a lot of rust on them. RG3 seemed to knock some of it off but Alfred....not so much. The way they play will dictate how our season pans out.

HTTR!!!

Cousins could have won this game. This loss is on RG3's ego.

HAIL BRUCE_ALMTY!

RG3's ego?....Seriously? How do you figure?

I'll emphasize again the key coaching mistake was using Biggers in Meriwheather's spot at SS while a rookie Rambo was at FS. This left almost no experience in an area where we sorely needed it. Rambo made some nice tackles but still missed some key ones while Biggers appears even worst tackling in space. We'll need to fix our safety situation quickly because I feel that allowed a sharp Vick passing to open up gaping holes on the run. We kept Jose Gumbs but he was not active while we cut Gomes. Maybe the staff thought Biggers could be no worst than Gomes in pass coverage but the very poor tackling at the safety spots led to many big plays early on for the Eagles.

I understand Gumbs has potential and adds some hard hitting to the safety spot. However, it leaves me scratching my head some about the logic behind Biggers playing safety. Adding speed to the backfield doesn't mean much if you are just going to miss tackles most the game.

Its not going to be the year I thought , because griff clearly going to be fighting off demons for a couple games . Still all in all I think we win this Div later on in the season . Griff looked real sharp late in the game against the blitz . Yes and before you say garbage time go check the tape . The she girls where not in prevent defense

Glad to hear we don't have the "finger pointing in the locker room" problem to go along with the list of concerns we have coming out of the Eagles game. That would be something that would have to be corrected right away, unlike the Boo Boo Brandon (Meriweather) issue that has gone on forever. I know I am laying a lot of blame at his feet (and he didn't even play in the game) but I can say that the Eagles game started to go down hill right after Boo Boo couldn't find the field again at game time. Very bad Mo-Jo to find your starting FS is too sore to play a half hour before the season opener. $3.7 million we are paying him this year and we have Chase Minnifield on the PS.

I doubt few here would argue that the better team lost Monday night. Certainly there were some uncharacteristic mistakes from our two star rookies of last season that none of us expect to see much of going forward. I expected RG3 to not have a stellar performance throwing Monday night but I certainly didn't expect him to look that out of sync with his footwork. I'm mostly disappointed in our offensive line’s performance especially in run blocking. I could see AM waited longer than normal to find a seam and in many cases defenders were pushing blockings 3 to 4 yards behind the line of scrimmage into AM’s running lane. However, this is a tough game to really evaluate because we fell behind so early. No doubt the Eagles keyed on stopping the run and dared RG3 to throw. They called the right game plan knowing RG3 would not play to form immediately.

I didn't view the Chip Kelly up-tempo offense as the primary reason they were so effective early. I credit Vick for being very sharp and crisp with his passes, excluding maybe 3. Vick’s performance out of the gate is what setup the running game for McCoy. I don’t think it mattered if they were snapping the ball every 12 seconds or 60 because playing Biggers in place of Meriweather was bad mistake from the staff last night. BIggers just misses too many tackles and is an average coverage guy at best even at Safety. The Jackson touchdown was a gaffe by either Biggers or Rambo that left Hall with no help in the middle of the end zone. Regardless; the decision of having a player normally playing nickel coverage in Biggers along side a rookie FS in Rambo left our DBs extremely vulnerable.

Glad to hear we don't have the "finger pointing in the locker room" problem to go along with the list of concerns we have coming out of the Eagles game. That would be something that would have to be corrected right away, unlike the Boo Boo Brandon (Meriweather) issue that has gone on forever. I know I am laying a lot of blame at his feet (and he didn't even play in the game) but I can say that the Eagles game started to go down hill right after Boo Boo couldn't find the field again at game time. Very bad Mo-Jo to find your starting FS is too sore to play a half hour before the season opener. $3.7 million we are paying him this year and we have Chase Minnifield on the PS.

I'm also growing (not groin ...no pun intended) frustrated with Meriweather's absence on the field. It's really hurting our coverage.

Thinking that the Redskin's play a complete game like they played the 2nd half then we are in great shape. Outscored the Eagles 20-7? You mean we have the potential to eventually score 40 points a game? What if we beat the Packers? What if Alfred straightens his hands out and Griff sees the film of his footwork and corrects things. They will ! My son had acl surgery and took him alot longer to come around. Still think everybody bought into that he was going to come out with a Superman cape on and pick up where he left off. He can't do it but we won't have to wait long till he does . HTTR!!!

Cousins could have won this game. This loss is on RG3's ego.

Please explain this statement. When you have the rookie of the year as your franchise QB, you don't pull him because he struggles a few quarters of the 1st game of the season. That is a clear overraction. Also, once he shook off the cob webs he was quite effective. I would go further to say for those who said he can;t be a drop back QB he pretty much shut that down. With 9 yds in the 1st Q he ended up with over 300 for the game.

BTW: Here is his line for the 4th Q -->  15/21 - 169 yds 2TDs - 0 int - QBR 126.9

As for it being on his ego, not sure where you get that. If he tried to run very play and win the game himself then you may have had a point. But he didn't do that.

If you have data to support your position please enlighten us.

Mike and Has looked lost and defeated early on and it showed the team was not prepared for this game. RG3 and AM did not look the same and our D hung in the game as best as anyone could expect, someone called out Biggers not sure you can do that fairly at this point. LF showed his age fast but like always gave his all. FD better step it up J Reed looked good in his first NFL game and RG3 looked to have trust in him, and Hank looked well at times hope this continues. Now we are off to Green Bay who is also coming off a tough loss, hope to see a better plan in place and some continuity on O!

HTTR!

Mike and Has looked lost and defeated early on and it showed the team was not prepared for this game. RG3 and AM did not look the same and our D hung in the game as best as anyone could expect, someone called out Biggers not sure you can do that fairly at this point.

Actually I called the coaching staff out for putting Biggers in the SS position. It certainly did not work out to our advantage and his numerous missed tackles provided many huge plays for the Eagles. The McCoy touchdown run in the beginning of the 3rd was one example. Biggers was unblocked and had McCoy right in front of him but whiffed on a dive. Most the night, Biggers failed to demonstrate he could make tackles in the open field but knowing it was not his natural position I understand why he struggled. It was more about a poor coaching decision to put him out of position than Biggers performance. I'm not sure if we would have faired any worst with a young hard hitting Jose Gumbs who was inactive. I certainly know our staff knows best who to play but this particular decision looked like a gamble to me that failed miserably.

I am pretty sure he meant Tannard Jackson at safety. Dorrell is a huge AM fan, as we all are. 

Of course the NFL must reinstate him which they don't appear to be in any hurry to do. I have to assume at this point his best chance for an opportunity to be tried out with the team will be next season. Even if the NFL reinstates him, I'm sure he'll be months away from being ...as Shanahan states often; in "football" shape.

Please explain this statement. When you have the rookie of the year as your franchise QB, you don't pull him because he struggles a few quarters of the 1st game of the season. That is a clear overraction. Also, once he shook off the cob webs he was quite effective. I would go further to say for those who said he can;t be a drop back QB he pretty much shut that down. With 9 yds in the 1st Q he ended up with over 300 for the game.

BTW: Here is his line for the 4th Q -->  15/21 - 169 yds 2TDs - 0 int - QBR 126.9

As for it being on his ego, not sure where you get that. If he tried to run very play and win the game himself then you may have had a point. But he didn't do that.

If you have data to support your position please enlighten us.

hail goskins,

yeah we all would like to see  the data /explaination  he seems to have a opinion only .

was cousins healthy enough to play? if not ole rex was the backup which would have been a worse option.

win or lose griffin had to play to knock the rust off which he seemed to do in the second half and almost brought us back all the way..

wonder what our posts would have sounded like if he did ,we all would be a much happier bunch for sure !!!

Man this was a tough loss. The Eagles defense didn't beat us we did. When things were going wrong we needed a receiver to step up and they didn't. The Eagles offense although they were putting up yards on us were shut down for as long as any defense could hold off being on the field for 2/3 of the half. I can't stand that we made Vick look like an all-pro again. Once this offense knocks the dust off I think this will not happen again. Season is still young and we still have an awesome team!

hail goskins,

yeah we all would like to see  the data /explaination  he seems to have a opinion only .

was cousins healthy enough to play? if not ole rex was the backup which would have been a worse option.

win or lose griffin had to play to knock the rust off which he seemed to do in the second half and almost brought us back all the way..

wonder what our posts would have sounded like if he did ,we all would be a much happier bunch for sure !!!

Rex was inactive. RGIII and Cousins were the only QBs on the active roster. 

Rex was inactive. RGIII and Cousins were the only QBs on the active roster. 

thanks goskins,i didn't see the game and missed  most of the first quarter on radio!!!

which i guess was a good thing i would have been very upset ,i still have a tv instead of a big paper weight with a hole in it!!!!LOL!!!

Player Breakdown - IMO!

Positive Players Vs. Eagles:
1) Hankerson - He is starting to look like the big threat WR he was drafted for. For some reason he actually looks bigger to me this year.
2) Reed - Great underneath threat and I can't wait to see him open in space with the ball
3) Helu - He shut down the Eagles blitzing and gave RG3 time to get the ball downfield. One nice play with the ball called back
4) Riley - He was a presence in the pass rush and it is impossible for me to credit anyone else for defending the run in this game
5) Kerrigan - He gets a big assist for that Hall TD and was the only one showing consistent pressure on the pass rush.
6) Amerson - He had one nice defended pass and didn't look bad on any coverage’s I saw
Negative Players Vs. Eagles:
1) D Young - This has to be the worst game I'd seen him play. There were a few blocks that got away and he dropped a pass.
2) Alf - I doubt we'll see a game as bad as this one with him holding onto the rock. He never had a chance to get going running either which wasn't his fault.
3) Offense Line - Nothing went well with this group. Poor run and pass blocking along with costly penalties. This line has to be the most penalized group in the league. Very frustrating to watch this group when they can't even create holes on the run plays.
4) Orakpo - I credit him for a few holds that were called but he didn't really get to the QB and he is a liability defending the run.
5) Bowen - Did he ever get past the line of scrimmage?
6) Biggers - He can't tackle in open space. I saw that in this game and all preseason. I don't think we'll see him playing SS again. If so then I must be missing something about his abilities which must lie mostly in coverage.
7) Rocca - I keep reading about his big punts in practice but I don't see many during the games.
Noted Players:
1) LF didn't have a great game but I think he had his hands full calling the defense.
2) RG3 was not on in the first half and he can't deny the pressure was causing him to rush his passes ...poor footwork on many passes.
3) I saw some nice tackles by Rambo early on but he also missed some big opportunities on Vick and McCoy runs later. That wide open Jackson TD in the middle of the end zone was either on him or Biggers in coverage.

I took a look at the PFF ratings and plucked out the rookie CBs performance for the 1st week:

Amerson was the highest rated rookie CB playing in at least 50% of the defensive snaps.

1) Amerson 1.2 - Btw Sherman "the mouth" was 1.3

2) Johnathan Banks 0.2

3) Desmond Trufant -0.3

4) Dee Miller -0.3

5) Xavior Rhodes -0.7

*Tyrann Mathieu 0.8 (only 42 snaps less than 50%)

As a true testiment of Amerson's performance, he also played in the most snaps among all these rookies at 78. Not a bad start for what may become a steel pick in RD 2.

Archived