Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ghh's Observations Now The Dust Has Settled. The Good, The Bad And The 'meh, The Worlds Not Falling.'

Gibbs Hog Heaven

So now the dust has settled and I've slept, here's my thoughts on last night FWIW:

The Good. 

The comeback. As much as I tend to think Philthy ran out of gas on O and were, let's say 'protecting' the lead and clock on D, we looked a whole bunch better in the second half than the awful mess of the first. The O started to find it's feet again. Slowly, and too late, but we never gave in which is encouraging. We ended up within 6 points. We should of been 50 down at HT like, but still impressive to end up so close all things considered and something to take a positive from. 

The Knee. At halftime, I wanted him benched. He couldn't push off that back foot. He couldn't plant that knee. His passes where sailing and had nothing on them. Darn, his whole demeanor was just wrong. He didn't look healthy at all. But then he started scrambling the second half and he was looking real fluid in his movement. It's still not 100%. But it's darn close and will only get stronger as we go. Not worried at all by the knee/ brace at all. 

Ryan Kerrigan. BEST player on defense. By a Country freaking mile. And not just this game. PERIOD! Dudes just a football player. His instincts are for the football. Third best player on this team behind 10 and Trent. Man are we lucky to have that dude. EVERYTHING Orakpo isn't. But let's not get into that again this AM. 

The D adjustments second half. Haslett finally figured out the gaps were there to bring it and we limited and got them off the field a whole bunch better as the game rolled so credit to him there. That said, I do believe the Eagles totally run out of gas and that helped a bunch. 

Leonard Hankerson. Hopefully that will be the one that gives him the confidence to believe in himself. Nice showing big man.

Jordan Reed. The main bulk of his numbers may of come when the Eagles were sitting on things, 

The Bad. 

Let's start on the O. And some points folk won't like. But this is me so I'm speaking my mind. Shocking as that is.  :lol: 

Play calling. I thought Kyle went conservative. Aside from the pitch on the safety. WTF was that? You don't **** around in your own EZ. Period! Read-option. Whether easing 10 back into was a part I don't know. But you take out the RO, you take out a MAJOR threat of our O. 10 HAS to be a run threat. And not just a threat. He has to prove he still can like last year. Take out Robert's legs, and you limit this O massively. All ways round. No play action. No tempo. No nothing. Poor, poor game from the OC. 

RGIII and the 'Ego' he doesn't have. (Stop laughing at the back.). Just WTF was that introduction all about? You introduce the O as a group and then 10 as an individual with all the drawn out antics he went through? So we're a 'team' plus one? Didn't like that at all and not the way we want to be going forward. He's already made it ALL about him this summer. (Sorry, but he has with his ridiculous antics against HC in the press. I love 10. But he was a jackwagon through camp.). No need to pander to his ego any more. TEAM first. To hear him vehemently deny he was 'rusty' after was laughable. No shame in admitting it man for Pete's sake. You sounded ridiculously silly. 

Back to Robert's legs and The Butler. You take out the threat of 10's legs, and Alfred looks what he is in any other scheme. A bruiser back who'll get you the tough yards but won't break much and won't have anything like last season's total. How 10 runs, so does Alfred. Last night was a sobering call on him from last year. He fits the scheme perfectly. But if all that entails isn't in full effect, he's just A N Other back in this league. 

The O-line still can't pass protect for ****.  But nothing new there. Disturbingly they where poor in the other facet as well last night.  Continued major problem area of this team outside of Trent. 

The Defense:

Tackling. Even taking away McCoy being what he is and one of the best backs in the league that was born for this system, our tackling was woeful. Particularly in the secondary following on from the pre-season and last. How we continue to be so bad so often on the fundamentals is beyond me. Bad angles. Whiffing in the open field. Not wrapping up when we do get a hold of the opposition. Ridiculous. And on that .....

We can't stop the run for ****. This is another continuing trend from the back end of last year. When we need a stop, we can't get one. No matter what the down and distance, teams always have a chance. 

Personnel. Just WTF was Biggers doing at safety? I get Doughty not playing for a lack of speed against Chips scheme. But you take an average, back-up corner and start him in an unfamiliar position and expect good things? Are you freaking ******* me! Haslett and Morris have a lot to answer for there. And what it says about their faith in the safety's benched ahead of him heck only knows. 

Talking of safety, No Merriweather again. But he's NOT injury prone right guys? Complete waste of a roster spot. But the best hope we have at the position. It's a ridiculous paradox we're stuck in. 

Fletch is loosing a step. I know, shocking that a 504 year old would start to slow down. But that 504 year old is still integral to our D. I love the Iron man. And McCoy is McCoy who makes most backers look silly. And Kelly's O wouldn't allow him a rest. But darn if I don't think we're gona' get gushed a lot in the middle this year. Middle LB and the lack of depth will be a big factor all year. 

The rooks are what they are. Rooks. I love that their here. I love that their starting. But it's gona' be one bumpy ride whilst Amerson and more so Rambo adjust to this level. 

Overall a bad, bad day for the D. You have ALl summer to look at Oregan tapes and that's your answer? Seriously? And I've not even mentioned Orakpo being a complete non-factor again in a divisional game. Yay me. 

Penalties. Both sides of the ball. Shocking in pre-season. Totally undisciplined last night. This needs fixing FAST!

Teams. 

Yeah, not good here either. Even the Cobra missed a FG. First outing under the new Coach, so it should pick up. But one big, continuing worry is the return game. Thompson was woeful. Bad decisions. Bad returns. Hell, when Moss ends up back there (and Shanahan confirmed Thompson wasn't injured after the game) that says it all. You need to shape up and fast young man or your roster spot will go faster than an Eagles offensive series. 

The Fans. 

You don't, I repeat DON'T, boo your own through a game. It's asinine. It's totally self defeating. And it's a jackass, classless move that embaress's the lot of us. If your at the game, your a supporter. The key to that is in the first seven letters. Support is not turning on your guys after the first half of the first freaking game of the season when they need backing to lift them after a woeful first half when nothing went right. 

A lot of our fans need educating on just what being a fan is all about. No question it was shocking first half and frustrating as all heck. But keep it between yourselves. Go boot the restroom wall. Scream in the gangway. Whatever to get it out but DON'T boo your own team during the game. Let them know at the gun if they've not put it in by all means. But don't defeat the object and compound the problem during the game when things aren't going well on the field. 

The 'meh, the Worlds NOT falling.'

Game 1 of 16. The only way from here is up.

The Eagles will gut a LOT of teams this year with this O and those playmakers. But we came out of a game that we should of been 45/ 50 points down at the half with a chance to win once the rust was shaken off. 10's knee is close to 100%. The stronger it gets, the stronger the O gets and our threat improves again. We'll be fine and back up to speed on O sooner rather than later. And we'll ultimately win more games than we lose. 

Game 1 of 16. A bad overall day at the office. Learn from it. File it. And move onto Green Bay. 

That's all I got. 

Hail. 

That sure wasn't how it looked on the TV and how it was reported. 

Hail. 

Roberts intro was over the top...he ran the entire length of the field with a Skins flag and then drop to a knee.

Ill have more comments on the game after i rewatch, kind of a blur.

--I agree with most of what you wrote GHH, but I don't think RGIII is anywhere close to 100%.  He looked maybe 65-70% toward the end of last night.  His mechanics were completely off.  Not much zip on the ball because he's not stepping into throws.  Did our coaches not notice this??  My guess is that it will take him until after the bye to look more like the Robert of old.  By then, who knows how big of a hole we may be in with our schedule.  Speaking of RGIII--his pride is becoming an increasingly bigger issue to me.  He looked shocked in the first half.  Like he was in a dream state.  Maybe the emotion was too high, but at times I saw him mumbling to himself on the sideline, sitting alone...wasn't talking to his o-line or receivers, wasn't looking at photos.  I'm beginning to get disturbed by this trend of everything revolving around him.  And, I'm not sure what to make of it yet. 

--I thought the D did alright, all things considered.  The line played well at times, Cofield in particular.  Kerrigan is a beast as we know.  They had a tough, tough assignment.  Playing against a super charged offense no one had ever seen before on this level when guys are still playing themselves into shape.  If our offense had done ANYTHING in the first half--one long drive to stop the bleeding--I think the D could have caught their breath, made adjustments and been more effective like they were in the second half. 

--With that said, I've never seen a player worse in space than Rambo.  I hope he gets better because it's straight up embarrassing right now. 

--Perry Riley is a non-impact player.  We go through entire stretches where I rarely hear his name called.  Think he had one sack last night, but most of the time he's simply being blocked out of position.  Really underwhelmed by him. 

--Thought Amerson looked very good last night.  Wilson too.  Hall is Hall--the good and the bad.

--Thought the offensive line stunk up the joint.  Would have liked to have seen more Helu.  Morris was horrible last night.  Absolutely horrible.  He set the tone with that fumble, and we all knew it was an incredibly bad omen.  Everything went downhill from there.  The pitch in the endzone was as poor of a playcall as you will see in the NFL.  Didn't like Kyle's gameplan at all.  As others have mentioned, we need at least the threat of the RO to be successful.

--There was almost no urgency from our offense toward the end of the game.  They looked like they were stuck in sand.  Couldn't get a play off before the 2 min warning.  Josh Morgan is a moron and can't seem to understand that he should go out of bounds instead of getting an extra freakin yard when we are down by two scores with not much time on the clock.  I mean, really?  Who is coaching these guys.

--Coaching: big disappointment from Shanny on down.  We looked terrible and undisciplined, poorly prepared and overwhelmed in all three phases for significant chunks of last night's game.  It was a bad, bad loss.  It's only one game, but this team needs to focus and realize that last season means nothing now.  They are going to need to go out there and earn it every week.

I'd agree on the knee skins if it was just the first half. As I said I wanted him benched at half time. But the way he moved freely second half leads me to think he was just rusty coming off the surgery in live action for the first time since January. Picked up a lot second half. 

Hail. 

I hope you're right.  This game was kind of the inverse of the Seattle game--it started off terribly and ended with some promise.  I still thought Robert wasn't stepping into his throws well, even at the end.  That throw to Aldrick should have been a completion and would have been had it been there a second earlier and delivered with more zip. 

It's going to be a real interesting season.  I wish I could say that I like our chances in Green Bay.

..... RGIII getting introduced as an individual was horrible and fed the ego of a guy that IMO needs to come down to earth a few notches.

I think that's a very pertinent point and one nobody wants to touch on. 

We all love 10. He's the best thing, player wise, to happen to this franchise in my 30 years as a fan. But he was an embarrassing jackass this off-season. His ego, and his family sticking their oar in, got beyond the pale. You may be the star man Robert. But it's NOT all about you. 

Shanahan/ Snyder whomever needs to remind him of that. Even after the game he totally refused to admit that he was rusty as all Hell that first half. Well which was it Robert? Either you weren't fit. Or you were rusty from no live action since January. Just admit it and move on without sounding a conceited ass. 

That said. he has been a lot more cordial toward the HC publicly and not making it ALL about himself of late which is refreshing. 

Hail. 

Good analysis. Here are my thoughts:

-Not surprised by RGIII's rust but definitely a bit down about the performance of Alfred Morris. I don't think his struggles will continue but if they do, add Helu to the mix a little more often: He displayed a nice burst on limited rushing attempts and his ability to pick up the blitz helped the offense move a little better in the second half.

-As for the defense, aside from the Avant fumble, they pretty much stunk up the place. If they don't right the ship soon (next week)

"Discount double check" aka Aaron Rodgers is going to put up major points in next week's game against the Packers.

That's all.

I like to add one more thing to the "BAD".  Penalties.  a couple of holding calls killed us.  What the hell was Hall thinking with the horse collar tackle 5 yards out-of-bounds?  Again we play mistake free football, we win this game for sure even though it looked like at some point it would be our worse defeat ever.

I thought RG3 looked more comfortable as the game went on. He was definite tentative at first, no doubt about that. But as he was scrambling around and realizing his knee was fine, he started to look more and more like his former self. No, he's not 100% back, but he's probably about 90%, which is still better than most QBs.

The defense was meh. They made some bad plays, but in all reality, they kept us in the game longer than they should have. How it was only 26-7 at the half, I'll never know. We could've easily been getting blown out. Kerrigan is far and away our best defensive player. I thought Riley looked pretty good out there too. Cofield played a hell of a game on one hand.

I just felt that everything that could go wrong in that game did. RG3 had 5 INTs all last season, threw 2 in the game. Morris had what 3 or 4 fumbles all last season? He has 1 on his first carry. Forbath went until the final game last year without missing a kick, missed his first one this season. Just a bad game all around, but we didn't give up and at least made it look respectable.

I think what we saw was a lot of starter rust and overconfidence.  Morris got how many reps in the preseason?  He wasn't ready either.  The Redskins front office showed incredible disdain for the preseason games really only playing starters in one of the games.  They weren't ready to hit or be hit.  That's what you don't get in practice.  That's why the tackling was so sloppy.  The first half especially, the skins were a clumsy team.

No excuse for the turnovers and inability to perform basic plays.  No exuse for failing to execute a basic play like a pitch.  That's a play RGIII and Morris have been running since they were ten years old.  They looked unready, timid, and the opponent took it to them as they should have.  Last year, maybe too much went right, went easily for RGIII.  Who knows maybe he needed this humbling.

He wasn't Superman yesterday.  He wasn't even Clark Kent.  That said, when Kai missed that kick and I saw it coming... the football Gods hated us.  When practically every decent run until we got too far behind resulted in a flag... I knew we were doomed.  We failed to execute.  We were executed.

I think the big thing is you can't replace game-speed action, even if only in preseason.  Mental reps & practice reps do not, and will never, replace regular game play for getting ready for the season.  Additionally, expecting Griffin to be back on the field like nothing ever happened was severely unrealistic.  His surgery was no joke, and no matter how much you rehab/work out, some things take time, and he's not there yet.  How fast he gets there will be key.

I thought the Eagles OL vs. Skins front 7 was going to be an even match going into this game, but it was lopsided for 2+ quarters, when most of the damage was done.  Skins adjusted, Eagles did not, and that's what let the game show as closer than it should have been. Conversely, I was surprised at the amount of pressure the Eagles front 7 was able to bring on Morris/Griffin, especially early.   

Both team's safeties are horrible and are the primary reason there was 60 points scored last night. 

PF

That was RG3s preseason, all wrapped up in 3 lousy, rusty quarters.

He has a new mental test now,, to realize that heart and determination are only PART of what it takes to make a successful comeback from a big injury.  i hope he realized last night that he's not so special that everything wil work out for him through sheer force of will..   he wasn't ready last night, and while that isn't his fault, i think it may have been a bit of a surprise to him.

One more small positive to add to GHHs list..   yes, that was Kai Forbath booting kickoffs to the back of the end zone with regularity. Seems like that problem is solved, anyway.

~Bang

I mostly agree with everything you posted GHH...  Let me add my own:

THE GOOD:

Our team settled down and found its rhythm in the 2nd half.  Yes, it was a "day late and a dollar short", but they made adjustments and fought and clawed their way back into the game.  They didn't let what happened in the first 2 & 1/2 quarters defeat them.  On Defense, Kerrigan was a beast, and I hope he passed (or passes) the concussion tests.  We need him!

THE BAD:

RGIII doesn't have his legs under him yet.  The Eagles expected that and played accordingly.  They didn't respect his running ability, and just tee'd off on him.  Our play calling was pedestrian.  I understand easing our QB back into the mix, but there really needed to be some plays called that at showed that Robert was a threat to run to get the Eagles to dial back the rush.

Cobra Kai missed a kick?!?!??  

THE UGLY:

Our Defense.  It's hard to HONESTLY decide whether or Defense played better the 2nd half of the game or not.  The Eagles offense looked as though they were a little gassed themselves, and they also appeared to be playing more conservatively to protect their lead.

Field position was killer!  The Eagles Special Teams were dead on, pinning us back against our own End Zone all game.

THE "MEH" (The Sky Isn't Falling):

It's one game.  We could see the team gets its confidence and things started clicking.  Robert started to get his wheels moving and hitting his open receivers.  Very important note:  Our receivers are getting open!  The O-Line simply needs to buy Robert enough time to get the ball to them.  Additionally, we just saw our first real game of Robert playing the role of a Pocket Passer.  All things considered (pourous line, shaky start, rust or whatever), he did well once he settled down and found his rhythm.

I think what we saw was a lot of starter rust and overconfidence.  Morris got how many reps in the preseason?  He wasn't ready either.  The Redskins front office showed incredible disdain for the preseason games really only playing starters in one of the games.  They weren't ready to hit or be hit.  That's what you don't get in practice.  That's why the tackling was so sloppy.  The first half especially, the skins were a clumsy team.

Agreed on that score Bur. You can't replicate live action. You just can't. 

But I also think it was a reality check of just how much he's a back that fits our scheme. And when you take out the RO and the threat of 10's legs, you take out the threat of Alfred and he becomes just an average big back that can be easily contained. 

Hail. 

On the defensive score, that was a shocking call. How that wasn't overturned on reply is beyond me. No way that was a backward pass. The deflection took it backward.

Hail. 

I thought the same.  Wasn't sufficient evidence to overturn it, and I don't believe there was a ref on the line that Vick threw it from.  IMO, I would think the referee would lean towards incomplete pass and have to have objective evidence it was backward, but guess not.

OP, great write up. Like most, I definitely had the Skins winning this one. That first half was atrocious, and I hope as a fan base we never witness anything like that again. I predicted the skins to go 11-5 this year that has not changed. Now they just have less wiggle room to achieve that.

I thought in the first half Robert was definitely rusty, I also thought that there is no way he is 100% healed from his injury. But the second half, he looked like a different person out there. So I have to assume it was just mostly him “shaking off the rust” Time will tell.

I still feel really good about this team, really disappointed in that performance for the most part, but still feel optimistic for the season. I feel Green Bay next weekend will be a much better match up for this team. I again predict a Redskins win. (I know I’m a homer) In typical Redskins fashion we lose the one we should win, and we will win the one we are supposed to lose.

I think Robert will get his mojo back, you could see him getting more confident and comfortable as the game went on. Also, there is no way Alfred Morris will play like that again. You know he will be stewing this whole week from that performance. My biggest concern is our secondary, and how they will deal with such an accurate passer.

I just hope that RG3 is really rusty and that explains his performance, not the fact that he isnt fully healed yet (which is a real possiblity), and by playing full speed and taking viscious hits it will delay his healing or make the knee worse.  What im saying is i hope his mechanics last night were more mental than physical, in the 2nd half he did display some escapeability though which was a good sign.

How many points did Philly get off of the turnovers and safety?  Was it a TD off of the Morris fumble; 2 point safety: and TD off of the first RGIII interception?  The kick after the safety also gave Philly great field position but I can't recall whether they scored a TD/FG or nothing on that possession.  Yes, Philly was moving like a hot knife through butter but that wouldn't have happened so easily or at all if the Offense hadn't 1)  turned the ball over, 2) punted from its own 10-30 yard line so often in the first half, or 3) had any extended drive to allow the defense more than a minute to adjust to the Philly onslaught and catch its breath.

I just hope that RG3 is really rusty and that explains his performance, not the fact that he isnt fully healed yet (which is a real possiblity), and by playing full speed and taking viscious hits it will delay his healing or make the knee worse.  What im saying is i hope his mechanics last night were more mental than physical, in the 2nd half he did display some escapeability though which was a good sign.

I think it was mostly rust. He definitely looked more comfortable as the game went on. Maybe not to the RG3 of last season, but definitely better than he looked in the 1st half. I think the Eagles pressure up the middle wasn't helping the cause either.

Perry Riley should be pointed out too. Him and Kerrigan are awesome. 

I wouldn't say D played bad. They were put in bad spots all night (No break with lack of offensive first downs, turnovers, poor special teams). 

They played as good as you could expect. If our offense played the way they are capable and special teams weren't awful, We would've held their O to 24-ish. 

Archived