Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clock Error After Delay Of Game?

RawBBQSauce

Ok, so the Eagles had the ball with about 4:30 left (not sure on the exact number) and instead of calling a timeout before the play clock expired, they were issued a delay of game. The clock CONTINUED to run after the penalty was called. I really hope I am not the only one who noticed this.

There's no way the clock should continue to run in this situation, otherwise, every team would accept delay of game penalties to burn out the game clock.

While I know it is nitpicking and ended up not directly affecting the outcome of the game,
those extra 30 seconds genearlly make a huge difference in a game like this.

I mentioned it in the game thread. There was about 5:10 left when delay of game was called, then afterward it ran down to 4:45 or 4:40 at least.

It's not like Shanahan had them playing to preserve the clock anyway. After the earlier TD it was 33-20 with 12 mins+ left, we had the ball a few times, guys near the sidelines never ran out of bounds, even with under 3 left Morgan refused to go out of bounds twice, once on a ONE yard gain. Ridiculous clock management by the team. It's like they just wanted to go home.

The referee was correct in starting the clock after the penalty since it occurred before the 5 minute mark. If it would have happened inside 5 minutes, the clock would have remained stopped until the ball was snapped.

I can't copy and paste out of the pdf, but you can look up the rule 4 and see it was the correct call.

The referee was correct in starting the clock after the penalty since it occurred before the 5 minute mark. If it would have happened inside 5 minutes, the clock would have remained stopped until the ball was snapped.

I can't copy and paste out of the pdf, but you can look up the rule 4 and see it was the correct call.

This is correct.

It's a dumb rule. They should make it so that the clock stops within 10 minutes because there is nothing to stop a team from being cheap and milking the damn thing. At ldleast make it stop on a delay of game.

Geez

Wait a minute. So let's say you have a lead. It's the start of the fourth. Th opposing team punts it to your own 1 yard line. You can take delay of game after delay of game until the clock hits 5 minutes and only lose less then a yard?

Wait a minute. So let's say you have a lead. It's the start of the fourth. Th opposing team punts it to your own 1 yard line. You can take delay of game after delay of game until the clock hits 5 minutes and only lose less then a yard?

Exactly. I don't understand how that can be a valid rule.

Archived