Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Half Of Rust

arkowi

I freely admit I was guilty of thinking he could come out right away and be great, or maybe only need a series or two to knock off the rust.  Turns out it took a half of football. I apologize.

This. This is exactly what I was saying.

I didn't think it would take us to the end of the third to drive down the field and score, but it did. And after that, we looked much much much better.

Well I will give you that. But the defense was gassed as all get out by the end of first quarter, our offense played what, 6 plays? I'll reserve judgement until we see them against a more standard offense. 

There were some horrible penalties, def a team loss. 

The first few drives the Eagles offense just out executed the Skins D.  Were they gassed, sure, but that's because the Eagles OUT EXECUTED the Skins.

We'll see next week. RG3 starting hitting throws when the eagles defense softened up. The packers are going to pressure the hell out of RG3 next week and Aaron Rodgers against the redskins secondary... It's a safe bet that RG3 is going to be asked to throw it a lot. Here's hoping he looks a hell of a lot better than what I saw tonight. I hope he sounds a great deal more humble in his hundreds of interviews and quotes too.

Hopefully the rust is gone, sadly the price of shaking it was dropping a division game at home.

They softened up my ass.  They were getting dominated by our real offense and we were within an onside kick of winning the damn thing outright.

Too much credit going to the Eagles.

I remember a lot of games where Campbell would put up #s in the 2nd half when we were down big. And people would say "but but but the other team was still blitzing etc. etc. etc."

Fact is, when you're up big you don't play with the same level of passion/focus. Likewise, when you're down big you play looser because there isn't as much pressure.

I don't buy the notion that he was just rusty in the 1st half, especially since in the 2nd half he was still lacking juice on some of his throws.

And if he were healthy, why was there like no zone read at all? I mean the read option is probably less prone to rustiness than the vertical passing game.

But the Eagles didn't call off the dogs in the second half, they kept blitzing.  The pass rush was just as powerful, but we picked it up better.  They also kept running the read option as well.  And that last TD pass to Hank looked pretty 'juiced' to me.  His mechanics were off the first half, I think this experience will do wonders for his confidence. 

We are going to Kaepernick the Packers next weekend. 

HAIL

The first few drives the Eagles offense just out executed the Skins D.  Were they gassed, sure, but that's because the Eagles OUT EXECUTED the Skins.

No, man, their offense was on the field because we turned it over to them THREE TIMES resulting in 12 points.

They didn't outexecute ****.  Our offense had a longer boot cycle than we would have liked.

You say the Eagles couldn't have had a better first quarter? The skins scored a defensive touchdown and were only down 5 after the first. The second quarter was worse on the scoreboard 14 points to none and it blew the game open.

First Quarter...... first 20 minutes..... first 3 possessions....... first half...... you get the point! Enough semantics. The Skins started the game like a 2nd rate division II college team and didn't get their act together until it was too late.

If you have seen athletes comes back from this, it is a process. It really is. Sometimes you will play well, other times maybe not so much. There are a lot of mental hurdles with this injury, especially for someone who has done it twice. Unfortunately, he's not AP and it may cost us some games. However, hopefully we are still in the thick of things by season's end because I really think he'll be back to his normal self come November

I remember a lot of games where Campbell would put up #s in the 2nd half when we were down big. And people would say "but but but the other team was still blitzing etc. etc. etc."

Fact is, when you're up big you don't play with the same level of passion/focus. Likewise, when you're down big you play looser because there isn't as much pressure.

I don't buy the notion that he was just rusty in the 1st half, especially since in the 2nd half he was still lacking juice on some of his throws.

And if he were healthy, why was there like no zone read at all? I mean the read option is probably less prone to rustiness than the vertical passing game.

You need to re-watch the 2nd haft of the game kid.... The Eagles were doing the same stuff the 1st haft as they were in the 2nd haft on Defense

No, man, their offense was on the field because we turned it over to them THREE TIMES resulting in 12 points.

They didn't outexecute ****.  Our offense had a longer boot cycle than we would have liked.

You saw it the way you saw it, I saw something else.  Did we turn it over, sure, but that's bad execution on our part and good defense by the Eagles.  Sorry, they were the better team tonight overall.

The Skins defense adjusted in the second half and played a bit better, but the Eagles also became more conservative. 

I actually think losing tonight might be a good thing.  It sucks losing, but after the whole offseason being about RG3 and his rehab now it's back to the team as a whole.  The team as a whole was beat.  Robert being off is just one part of it.

We'll get better.

Those of you saying Griffin was injured need to wipe the bull**** from your T.V screens, those of you saying the eagles defense "eased up" in the second half are regurgitating more bull****. 

Who said Robert is "injured"?  I guess I missed this.  He's definitely not 100% coming off a full, 2nd reconstuction of his right knee, but I agree he's not injured. 

The Eagles did blitz him a lot in the 2nd half,...but the last half of the 4th quarter they did ease up. 

Those of you saying Griffin was injured need to wipe the bull**** from your T.V screens, those of you saying the eagles defense "eased up" in the second half are regurgitating more bull****.

They eased up. If you don't like it that's fine. It doesn't change anything but you're free to make up your own fiction and live happily within it.

RG3 being pissed is a good thing. Maybe he needed a wake up call. There's been entirely too much hype about his recovery and everything else leading up to this game. Perhaps this set back was exactly what's needed for this team to centre itself and play to its potential rather than what they think they're entitled to.

Look, if our offense doesn't implode in the 1st quarter, we win this game easily. Plain and simple. The Eagles couldn't have drawn up the the 1st quarters any better. The Redskins ran 6 plays and had 3 turnovers in their own territory including a safety. Done and done. There was very little chance that any team in the NFL could come back from that. We almost did but.......... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

RGIII is gonna be PISSED!! The naysayers will be circling the wagons this week and I pity them. RGIII is not a guy you want to start casting doubts about.

Still though, looks like a 0-2 start. Beating GB at Lambeau is a tough task.

They eased up. If you don't like it that's fine. It doesn't change anything but you're free to make up your own fiction and live happily within it.

Maybe you need to watch the 3rd and 4th Qrt as well.... The Eagles were doing the same stuff as they were doing in the 1st haft. Its not that hard to see that unless you are that blind and hate RG3. If thats tha case then you need to get over it. RG3 could have won that game if they got that on sides kick.

The reality is no team can keep up the pace that the eagles did. Their offense was completely gassed by the fourth quarter and their defense was finally being put to the test. If you think the Eagles went into prevent/vanilla defense than you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. No form of prevent has you blitz non-stop.

1. Robert Griffin's 4th quarter: 15-of-21, 169 yards, 2 touchdowns. Fair to say not playing in the preseason led to plenty of early-game rust.

Wow. That was a brilliant pass by Robert Griffin to Leonard Hankerson in back of the endzone. 'RG3' like. He's back. Took a few quarters.

2. Robert Griffin looks like Robert Griffin in this second half.

They were blitzing up the middle almost every play until the last TD drive. How is that easing up?

The coverage changed defensively, surrendering underneath throws, and they pretty much stopped passing the ball entirely on offense allowing the redskins to get more possessions. Do you disagree?

Archived