Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Half Of Rust

arkowi

I think what you saw tonight was that it takes at least one half of football to shake off the rust of recovering from major surgery and not playing all preseason. Out of sync, out of rhythm, etc. 

Thus, our offense could not stay on the field and also committed costly turnovers. So the Eagles with their new high speed offense were able to gas our defense and climb out to a big lead.

By mid third quarter, we were able to get some rhythm going, RG3 started to get going, and damn if they didn't almost come back and win it. Hats off to these guys for not just giving up and continuing to play hard. 

I feel much better by the end of the game than at half time, and I am stoked for green bay.

Have to say I agree - there was a point in the end where one turnover could have probably won us the game. Different team first half vs. second half.

Plus I really don't think this Eagle's offense is going to stay healthy the whole season. But that defense - have to give them credit.

Don't think it's rust. He's hurt. The 2nd half was just numbers padding against a team up 3+ scores taking it easy. AKA the Jason Campbell.

You don't play the prevent blitzing every down. The Eagles were still playing dude and had they let off the gas for real there was more than enough time for us to come back.

Don't think it's rust. He's hurt. The 2nd half was just numbers padding against a team up 3+ scores taking it easy. AKA the Jason Campbell.

RG3 will proceed to say it is no excuse but it is definitely rust all his play is practice time till now. He moved fine when running and came on in the 3rd and 4th and honed his accuracy.

Look, if our offense doesn't implode in the 1st quarter, we win this game easily. Plain and simple. The Eagles couldn't have drawn up the the 1st quarters any better. The Redskins ran 6 plays and had 3 turnovers in their own territory including a safety. Done and done. There was very little chance that any team in the NFL could come back from that. We almost did but.......... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

RGIII is gonna be PISSED!! The naysayers will be circling the wagons this week and I pity them. RGIII is not a guy you want to start casting doubts about.

Still though, looks like a 0-2 start. Beating GB at Lambeau is a tough task.

We'll see next week. RG3 starting hitting throws when the eagles defense softened up. The packers are going to pressure the hell out of RG3 next week and Aaron Rodgers against the redskins secondary... It's a safe bet that RG3 is going to be asked to throw it a lot. Here's hoping he looks a hell of a lot better than what I saw tonight. I hope he sounds a great deal more humble in his hundreds of interviews and quotes too.

Hopefully the rust is gone, sadly the price of shaking it was dropping a division game at home.

I think what you saw tonight was that it takes at least one half of football to shake off the rust of recovering from major surgery and not playing all preseason. Out of sync, out of rhythm, etc. 

Thus, our offense could not stay on the field and also committed costly turnovers. So the Eagles with their new high speed offense were able to gas our defense and climb out to a big lead.

By mid third quarter, we were able to get some rhythm going, RG3 started to get going, and damn if they didn't almost come back and win it. Hats off to these guys for not just giving up and continuing to play hard. 

I feel much better by the end of the game than at half time, and I am stoked for green bay.

Your view is obtuse.  It wasn't just a half of rust on RG3 that lost the game,....far from it.

First of all the Eagles offense played well while the Skins D played poorly overall,....especially in the first half.  The rookies looked like rookies.  Rak took really bad angles on that weak ass read option like play the Eagles ran too,....was embarassing.

Bottomline Robert is not 100%.  It's clear by the way he moved and threw the ball.  The offense as a whole looked completely out of sync.  We made it respectable at the end.  Robert ended up with over 300 yards passing but the Eagles were only rushing 4, maybe 5 guys at the end.  Every with the exception of the TD pass to Hank was underneath.

The Eagles defense is not as bad as people said it would be.  Actually, they looked pretty good.

Penalties killed us too. 

Bad team lose -- RG3 being rusty and not 100% was just a part of it.

Uh, no. 

Please re-watch the game before you make ignorant statements. I said in another thread, in the 2nd half he was rushed, blitzed, sacked, hit, hurried, he had to run and scramble all over the place. How was that "taking it easy". 

He was rusty, it was starting to shake off. The Eagles knew damn well if they scored 26 points in the first half, that we could do the same in the Second. You don't play 30 minutes of "take it easy" football.  <_<  <_<

Your view is obtuse.  It wasn't just a half of rust on RG3 that lost the game,....far from it.

First of all the Eagles offense played well while the Skins D played poorly overall,....especially in the first half.  The rookies looked like rookies.  Rak took really bad angles on that weak ass read option like play the Eagles ran too,....was embarassing.

Bottomline Robert is not 100%.  It's clear by the way he moved and threw the ball.  The offense as a whole looked completely out of sync.  We made it respectable at the end.  Robert ended up with over 300 yards passing but the Eagles were only rushing 4, maybe 5 guys at the end.  Every with the exception of the TD pass to Hank was underneath.

Penalties killed us too. 

Bad team lose -- RG3 being rusty and not 100% was just a part of it.

Well I will give you that. But the defense was gassed as all get out by the end of first quarter, our offense played what, 6 plays? I'll reserve judgement until we see them against a more standard offense. 

There were some horrible penalties, def a team loss. 

Look, if our offense doesn't implode in the 1st quarter, we win this game easily. Plain and simple. The Eagles couldn't have drawn up the the 1st quarters any better. The Redskins ran 6 plays and had 3 turnovers in their own territory including a safety. Done and done. There was very little chance that any team in the NFL could come back from that. We almost did but.......... woulda, coulda, shoulda.

RGIII is gonna be PISSED!! The naysayers will be circling the wagons this week and I pity them. RGIII is not a guy you want to start casting doubts about.

Still though, looks like a 0-2 start. Beating GB at Lambeau is a tough task.

You say the Eagles couldn't have had a better first quarter? The skins scored a defensive touchdown and were only down 5 after the first. The second quarter was worse on the scoreboard 14 points to none and it blew the game open.

Watching RGIII I don't think he is hurt, I think he is unsure of himself, more specifically he doesn't trust his own body yet.

Anyone notice that whenever he got in a groove and "instincts" took over suddenly he was running just fine and throwing some lasers, then as soon as the pace slowed again and he was able to stop and think again, suddenly he went back to not putting fire on his passes.

Coming back from this kind of surgery takes time.  The fact that he couldn't play in the preseason means he had to do all his testing of his knee during Week 1.  It obviously hurt his play and neutralized the offense in the first half, but he definitely improved as the game moved on.  However because the team was already down by so much it took away the ability of Kyle Shanahan to call the kind of offense had the game been tied or had they merely been down by 1 possession.

The laser of a throw later in the game, looked like the RGIII of 2012. If you can't see that his play picked up a lot in the 2nd half, I just don't know what to say.

I freely admit I was guilty of thinking he could come out right away and be great, or maybe only need a series or two to knock off the rust.  Turns out it took a half of football. I apologize.

He had a career high in passing yards and basically did it all in the second half.

But sure, let's compare him to Jason Campbell. 

I remember a lot of games where Campbell would put up #s in the 2nd half when we were down big. And people would say "but but but the other team was still blitzing etc. etc. etc."

Fact is, when you're up big you don't play with the same level of passion/focus. Likewise, when you're down big you play looser because there isn't as much pressure.

I don't buy the notion that he was just rusty in the 1st half, especially since in the 2nd half he was still lacking juice on some of his throws.

And if he were healthy, why was there like no zone read at all? I mean the read option is probably less prone to rustiness than the vertical passing game.

Archived