Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Rgiii Needs To Get Back To 100% Can't Be Done On Practice Field. We Gotta Deal With It

NoCalMike

It's evident to me now that RGIII is not ready.  However, I don't think it is a physical thing.

If you watch him later in the game, when his instincts kicked in and he had to buy time in the pocket, he moved around just like before and fired off throws.

The problem is whenever he has time to think about his repaired knee, HE DOES.

One aspect all of us seemed to overlook was the mental aspect of coming back from this kind of injury. His body might be ready and pass all the tests, but his mind needs to get right and get in sync with his body.

The problem is that this cannot be done on the practice field. This must be done during live football where RGIII gets hit, gets tackled, makes throws, and when he gets back up it clicks with him that "hey, my knee really is ok. I CAN plant off it"  That is just going to take time.

I already hear the "Put Kirk Cousins in" voices, and in reality he might be a better option if you are interested in winning for the next couple of months, while he is fresh and new and unable to be game planned for. The problem is that still leaves RGIII without the real football game reps he needs to get back.

Unfortunately if you are more interested in winning RIGHT NOW, you might be frustrated and angry that everything isn't happening from the get-go.

I think you're right.  I think RG3 might have worked himself up too much for this game and was a victim of the RG3 hype train he helped conduct.  But we shouldn't forget this is STILL RG3...the same QB that led us to our first division championship since 1999.

I can't believe I've seen some people post that we should put in Cousins after the 1st half...really? Kirk Cousins over RG3, who has only just played his first half of football since coming back from a surgically repaired knee??  Are you people hyper-reactive or what? geeeez...step back from the ledge.

If getting RGIII back up to speed comes at the expense of winning football games, considering the team's high hopes this year based upon 2012's playoff appearance, it's going to be a little disappointing, to be honest. Especially when there's a talented, young QB on the bench who many believe is capable of being a solid QB in his own right.

I see your point, but hopefully, you understand mine as well.

The thing about ACL injuries is its about working back the trust in your knee. for example, in basketball I'm a huge Ricky Rubio fan. When he first came back, he was abysmal. Once he started trusting his knee and got more comfortable, he led the league in assists and steals after the Allstar break. You have to be patient with his process

If getting RGIII back up to speed comes at the expense of winning football games, considering the team's high hopes this year based upon 2012's playoff appearance, it's going to be a little disappointing, to be honest. Especially when there's a talented, young QB on the bench who many believe is capable of being a solid QB in his own right.

I see your point, but hopefully, you understand mine as well.

One is the future of our team. One is an asset for our team.

Thank you for that well thought out premise.  Some of the posts in the game day thread are not being written by true skins fans because some of the mantra there is just ridiculous.  Chalk the offense's problems as being related to a QB who hasn't played against live bullets months.  He will eventually improve by playing.

The good thing wasn't the passing to me (though it was something) but seeing Robert run around a bit there. I think he has a hitch in his run or maybe his leg just looks weird with the brace, so we'll have to get used to it.  BUt he looked a lot better there, not outright explosive but not slow and still an occasional threat.

Agreed.

But I don't put much stock in the second half performance. Everything they completed was underneath, which tells me that the Iggles were in soft coverage

And any competent safety would have picked that last TD. HATE to be that guy but that's wasn't a great throw IMO.

I put a whole lot more stock in the second half performance than I do into the first half.

They were blitzing the hell out of RG3 and he worked it out. The first half was just rust and cobwebs. The man had played 0 football since Seattle.

Griffin looked fine physically.  he built things up a bit much in his mind and in my opinion put too much faith in god and not himself.  i have no idea what occurs in the hereafter but i know from experience you're solely responsible for your own ass here on earth.  it just looked like a bit of rust to me.  i think he'll be fine.  good news is he figured it out by the fourth quarter, but the first half clownshow was a bit much to overcome.  i still think we make the playoffs and are a legit superbowl threat, not a joke.

He had to get back in the flow of the game.  I think even taking a hit or two helped him.  I'm embarrassed for those Redskin fans in the game thread that were saying he should be benched.  And don't come back and say it was a joke either.  Pitiful, I'm glad some of you are spectators and not coaches.

I had the same thoughts to pull RG III after the first series of the 2nd Half.  My reasoning was different though.   Game was out of hand, I was more worried he'd get hurt in a game we couldn't win at that point, not for the reasons other said.  Thankfully RG III looked a bit better when we picked up the tempo, but I agree with the OP this may be something we have to work through.

Cousins is nice, but we aren't benching RG3 for him, sorry. 

Op is right, it's just gonna take a little time. Every analyst, ex-player, person with the same injury has said this over and over and you guys are surprised that it was true? I wonder how many of you shredded your knee in your rookie year against NFL talent, rehabbed like your life depended on it for 8 months then started the first NFL game the following season with no real offseason experience? 

I disagree that we are getting RG3 back up to speed and the cost of winning or losing. We are plenty capable of winning, we need to tighten a few things up. Say whatever you want, those second half yards and TDs didn't come against prevent defense so I'm not sure what you're talking about. He was rushed, sacked, hit, hurried, scrambling, blitzed. What made it "soft"? 

We aren't winning the superbowl this year with Kirk Cousins, so there is absolutely NO reason to bench RG3 for him. That will delay his "getting back to form" and cause more angst for nothing. 

I am not buying the rust factor only.

Robert made some dumb plays, not just his mechanics, but he wasn't doing the smart things he did last year.

He just played bad. Chalk it up to rust, the Iggles D, or whatever, that was a terrible performance 

exactly. Those two picks weren't rust. They were just plain bad, especially the first one.

I'm not so sure he's going to to just "get it" Sunday either. I said before the year that it's up to Alfred Morris to steer the ship and my God did he do a **** job tonight

Archived