Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Dma Is Not Airing Week 2 At Green Bay

HouseBowlrz

It's been a while since I posted about this; hopefully I have the right forum.

For our fans in the Baltimore DMA without access to DC channels, our ROAD game in Green Bay will NOT BE AIRING on WBFF.  They are airing Saints-Bucs in the late slot.

Yes, the Ratbirds are playing at home at the same time on a CBS doubleheader day.  But when WE play at home on a Fox DH day and the Ratbirds are on the road at the same time we play at home, WUSA is forced to air the Ratbirds against our home game (even though primary market rules stipulate no games air against it).  Meanwhile, WBFF does not appear to be held to the same rule ...

Plan accordingly ...

Do you have a source on that?  My understanding is that Baltimore and Washington are treated as seperate markets.  A lot of Ravens' fans in Montgomery/Prince George's counties complain all the time about the Ravens not airing on Washington DC networks (my brother-in-law is one of them).

The wikipedia article on it seems to indicate the same: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_on_television#Other_exceptions

"Although in close proximity, the Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens are served by separate media markets, and so they can play at the same time. If one team is at home and the other is on the road, both games have aired in each market on a few occasions. However, this policy is not consistently applied in either city."

Well, I'll be heading home to Virginia from South Florida and I forgot to DVR the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch highlights on the radio on the way back. Otherwise, I have to rely on highlights when I get home. :(

If you have directv, you can use their app to set the dvr. Don't know if other providers have that capability or not.

I'm a former Anne Arundel county resident who's lived in Baltimore County for about 5 years and this has always been the case in Balitmore County and probably north of Bmore county as well. If the Ravens and Redskins play at the same time, they will not broadcast the Skins game on Fox. If they play at different times such as 1pm and 4pm, they will. It's been a tough 5 years so I've been streaming via frontrow.uk and going to the local sports bars.

This year I bought The Madden anniversary package just so I could get access to the Sunday Ticket app. I'm hoping it works however, last week I tried to get the Packers game even though it was broadcasted and it said it couldnt' because it was already being shown on my local broadcast. I really hope it doesn't block me from the Packers VS Skins broadcast.

Well, I'll be heading home to Virginia from South Florida and I forgot to DVR the game. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch highlights on the radio on the way back. Otherwise, I have to rely on highlights when I get home. :(

TiVo has that feature, but not sure the cable companies do. I'll check to see if Optimum does, not that it would help you, just me.

<edit> Yes Optimum has it. Maybe your Cable Co. does too.

Place yourselves in the shoes of the WBFF program manager, whose success depends on ratings, not the feelings of displaced DC fans, who don't make up a significant portion of WBFF's viewer base.  The Redskins-Packers game on Fox unfortunately was scheduled at the same time as Ravens-Browns on CBS.  Any NFC game played at 1 pm on Sunday would get clobbered by the ratings for the home team's game, which will include some of the Super Bowl 47 hoopla to garner even higher ratings for the opener.

There won't be much interest in Saints-Bucs either, but it would likely outperform the 1pm Fox game, with only Broncos-Giants as its competition.

Living in Anne Arundel County, I have the advatageof Verizon FiOS cable,which carries both Baltimore and DC stations.  I will attend the Ravens game, but will record both Ravens and Redskins games on the DVR, to watch the Redskins game after getting home, and the Ravens game later on (unless either team loses, when I just erase the recordings.)  I believe that Howard County Verizon also carries both cities' broadcast channels, but not so for Baltimore City & County and other northern Maryland counties, so Redskins fans in those areas will unfortunately be s.o.l. 

It's unbelievable that, despite all the technological advances in TV, the cable industry struggles to find a way to carry both cities' broadcast channels throughout the region. I'd even like to see Philly channels that carry Eagles games.  Perhaps the NFL can wrangle some changes to the fans' advantage in the upcoming new TV contracts.

The best solution, however, should be for the NFL to designate Baltimore & DC as a common media market, similiar to Jets-Giants and Raiders-49ers, where the NFL avoid simultaneous scheduling.  IIRC, Steve Bisciotti favored this approach about 5 or so years ago, but Dan Snyder rejected it.  Too bad: Maryland bars would do better Sunday business if both teams playing in Maryland stadiums played at different times on Sundays.

This is true.  I live in Howard County & have FIOS, so I'm cool.  My boy lives in Essex (Bmore County) with cable & he's screwed.  I always tell him to come by the house though.

Living in Anne Arundel County, I have the advatageof Verizon FiOS cable,which carries both Baltimore and DC stations.  I will attend the Ravens game, but will record both Ravens and Redskins games on the DVR, to watch the Redskins game after getting home, and the Ravens game later on (unless either team loses, when I just erase the recordings.)  I believe that Howard County Verizon also carries both cities' broadcast channels, but not so for Baltimore City & County and other northern Maryland counties, so Redskins fans in those areas will unfortunately be s.o.l. 

Archived