Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mmqb: Future Or A Fad (Kyle Explains The Read Option)

SkinsHokieFan

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, yet (unless I just missed it), but this really bothered me: 

What the heck is he talking about here? I mean, I don't remember any rule change being mentioned this year. Last year they could hit the QB if they wanted then as well. 

Is he trying to will something negative here? Freudian slip, I swear.  

There has been this myth going around that the NFL changed the rules governing QB hits on RO plays. This is also sparked in the debate over the DC's idea to simply blast the QB all the time now. There have been no rule changes though. The NFL clarified the point and LL on twitter even quoted the head ref saying there were no changes.

Everything is the same as last year; as long a the QB is carrying out the fake he is fair game but once he shows his hand, as RG3 started doing last year, he is protected and no longer allowed to be hit.

There has been this myth going around that the NFL changed the rules governing QB hits on RO plays. This is also sparked in the debate over the DC's idea to simply blast the QB all the time now. There have been no rule changes though. The NFL clarified the point and LL on twitter even quoted the head ref saying there were no changes.

Everything is the same as last year; as long a the QB is carrying out the fake he is fair game but once he shows his hand, as RG3 started doing last year, he is protected and no longer allowed to be hit.

Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. :)

Shows how mean-spirited Peter King is, though. Even in a puff piece he's got to make sure enough negativity is spewed in there to feel right. He doesn't call the team "Redskins" ever, either, just to make a point. He even made that clear by referencing New York as the "Giants" while sticking to just "Washington" for us. 

Ugh, so tired of the mainstream media.   

How cool would it be if most of the league started zone-reading, it's officially the new 'thing'.  Teams get better at stopping it, it's effectiveness wears down overall, while the Redskins say 'sure you can have it', as RG3 reminds everyone he is one of the best passers in the league by running some more 'traditional' plays.  Just to rub it in their face too lol.

I linked this article in another thread yesterday about the long term health of RGIII. I thought the article was very superficial and did not really get into exactly what the read option is or how it works or things like packaged plays or play action off it. Bit of a puff piece really BUT the following did strike me as interesting ....

Last season, the pocket-preferring Andrew Luck led all NFL quarterbacks in significant hits taken behind the line. Pro Football Focus charted 138 sacks or knockdowns for Luck while throwing, a gaudy 26 more than the second-most-hit passer, Sam Bradford. This doesn’t count hits taken in the open field, so the Ngata shot on Griffin wouldn’t be included. But in significant hits behind the line, Griffin was 14th, with 90 knockdowns.

Now if RGIII can develop the 6th sense to be able to know when its time to get out of bounds or get down (and some QBs just don't have that) the way our offense is structured could actually help to keep him healthy rather than being the risk some people see it as.

If you want to simplify it, its really nothing more than a single-back formation with play-action pass thrown in.

The QB has the option to hand off, throw, or run the ball. Nothing different than playing play action pass, receivers covered, so the QB takes off with it.

It DOES require a mobile QB to pull it off though...

SIC

Gruden, Cowher, and Tomlin were 34. Recent history of guys younger than that is pretty bad - Lane Kiffen 31, Raheem Morris 32, Josh McDaniels 32.  Going way back John Madden was 32 and Don Shula was 33. Shanny the Elder was 35 when he got his shot with the Raiders.

Good nuggets!  Thanks!

Yeah, I think the biggest difference in being an OC vs a HC is leadership and managerial potential.  That's a huge undertaking for younger men in this game.  It pans out well for some, though.  If there is a good structure within an organization then a younger HC has potential to flourish.  If too much is thrown on his plate at once, well, we've seen the effects of that as well.

I think he'd be great here as the HC and in my opinion serves as the HC per se with Mike acting as the GM/Game Manager and Bruce acting as the Team President.  Just my opinion though.

If Kyle got the job here in a couple of years and a similar structure was in place I think he'd be successful.  You look at the list above between the guys who were successful and the guys who weren't and that's typically the case:

-Gruden walked in on a stable franchise with a good team left to him by Dungy (yes, Gruden did get them over the hump)

-Rah really got ****ed by a franchise that didn't want to spend any money and essentially left him as the scape goat after a promising start

-Kiffin went to the Raiders.  His potential for success wasn't great based off of what he did at the Rocky Top and so far at USC, but he wasn't given a "fair" shake by a senile version of the late Al Davis

-McDaniels joined a fairly stable franchise but they were also transitioning.  Also I have reservations about the Belichik tree (as most do)

-Cowher and Tomlin took over for Chuck Knoll in probably the most stable franchise in sports this side of the Yankees

-Shula is just a great coach, he would've been successful no matter where he was and I think Madden is underrated as a coach as well, but both hires were long ago

But the younger guys CAN be successful, they just need the structure.

I linked this article in another thread yesterday about the long term health of RGIII. I thought the article was very superficial and did not really get into exactly what the read option is or how it works or things like packaged plays or play action off it. Bit of a puff piece really BUT the following did strike me as interesting ....

Last season, the pocket-preferring Andrew Luck led all NFL quarterbacks in significant hits taken behind the line. Pro Football Focus charted 138 sacks or knockdowns for Luck while throwing, a gaudy 26 more than the second-most-hit passer, Sam Bradford. This doesn’t count hits taken in the open field, so the Ngata shot on Griffin wouldn’t be included. But in significant hits behind the line, Griffin was 14th, with 90 knockdowns.

Now if RGIII can develop the 6th sense to be able to know when its time to get out of bounds or get down (and some QBs just don't have that) the way our offense is structured could actually help to keep him healthy rather than being the risk some people see it as.

I hope that not taking it to the sidelines or grabbing turf is an artifact of RG3's college days.  I do remember two or three of the big hits coming on plays that in college, RG3 splits the defenders and goes for the TD or at least a few more yards, but they did happen in the first half of the season.

Archived