Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mmqb: Future Or A Fad (Kyle Explains The Read Option)

SkinsHokieFan

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/05/kyle-shanahan-rg3-read-option/

ASHBURN, Va. — The defining play of the read-option craze happened last season at Washington, on a Monday night in Week 13. The country was just learning about the pistol formation and the mesh point, when the quarterback sticks the ball in the running back’s gut but doesn’t let go right away. He instead waits, watching the unblocked defensive end, and then decides either to let the tailback take the handoff or to pull the ball back and run it himself.

On this defining play, the quarterback was Washington’s Robert Griffin III. The Giants led 13-10 midway through the third quarter as Griffin brought the offense to the line, in the pistol. Third-and-1. Big moment. And here it is, months later coming to life on the big screen in offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan’s office.

“This is what I used to joke about,’’ Shanahan says. “Look at Jason Pierre-Paul here.’’

I look: Griffin takes the snap, plants the ball in Alfred Morris’ gut but still holds on, riding Morris while staring at Pierre-Paul. Washington doesn’t block the All-Pro end, who charges hard at the RG3-Morris tandem. Tight end Logan Paulsen started the play across from Pierre-Paul, and in most universes where logic reigns, Paulsen would have blocked (or at least tried to block) one of the most dangerous rush ends in football. But Paulsen skips past Pierre-Paul and locks on to safety Kenny Phillips, who has come down into the box and is playing a faux outside linebacker position behind Pierre-Paul.

Link for rest

This is the part I liked.

says Cooley, who retired in July and now does games on the team’s radio network. “And to install it during the season … I was cut before Week 1 last year, then re-signed in Week 8—and I didn’t recognize the playbook when I got back, at least in the running game.”

And then the dill-holes at the end get into an argument over the use of the name Redskins. Classic.

The best thing to come out of all of this is the belief among the general public that the RO was all we ran, and that the staff will be content with the way the offense was running at the end of last season, nd not adapt, and add more. Like Kyle said, there is so much more that we can do if you can somehow stop it. That man is going to be a HC someday. Hopefully it's here.

The best thing to come out of all of this is the belief among the general public that the RO was all we ran, and that the staff will be content with the way the offense was running at the end of last season, nd not adapt, and add more. Like Kyle said, there is so much more that we can do if you can somehow stop it. That man is going to be a HC someday. Hopefully it's here.

I was thinking about that very thing the other day and in reading the article where they made mention of his growing resume'.  I'm really hoping that he stays here to take over for his dad.  He's got a stocked pantry full of goodies.

"Watch Pierre-Paul right here." Hilarious. Kyle is and will always be one step ahead. Some people wonder if they can stop RG3, but they should be wondering if they can stop Kyle. :)

I'll be surprised if he goes anywhere. It seems clear that he'll be in line to take the reins when Shanny moves up to the FO. And I'm thrilled about it.

If you ask me the reason Mike & Kyle came here as a package deal was precisely because the plan ultimately was for Kyle to take over the team once Shanahan has either won a championship or at least restored the team to a consistent contender.

If all goes as planned along the way, Kyle will be the HC in due time.

the biggest problem with this article and why people think the read-option is a fad is when they say the option is to hand the ball off or run it himself.  A QB can still throw in the read option

Yep. In fact I believe the TD pass to Robinson in the Dallas game was out of the read option formation.

Kyle S is a STUD.

People forget how open he was getting scrub receivers with Rex and Beck at QB and no running game.

I mean, the talent level was atrocious but we were still scoring points.

He's fiery, intense, he goes for the jugular. 

I'd push out Mike to keep Kyle if it came to it. That's how much I think of him.

I was thinking about that very thing the other day and in reading the article where they made mention of his growing resume'.  I'm really hoping that he stays here to take over for his dad.  He's got a stocked pantry full of goodies.

Catch-22.

I want his dad to be the HC here for another decade and more. At least until he no longer has the passion to come in to work every morning. I want his last job to be here. 

Will his son be prepared to wait even if he has a guarantee to take over?

Nice read BTW. Ta SHF for posting that.

Hail.

Something tells me that new rule allowing qb's to get hit when in "read option mode" is gonna last about as long as it takes for Brady to get hit doing it.

I agree, I don't think the league will stand for their young marketable star QBs getting blasted into next week especially That isn't going to fly.

Also, there were no rule changes. The rules are the same as they always have been. Defenses have decided though that they will hit the QB but as instructed by officials last year, if RG3 or the QB shows his hands to the defender, he cannot be hit. 

Also, Kyle is a genius and I look forward to the day he is running things here. 

Sooooo glad we got to see Kyle with some talent on the offensive side of the ball. The first couple years it was very obvious to me (and a few other ES members) that he was an awesome offensive coordinator, even if the results weren't showing up. I remember so many bashing him back then as well, but I won't name names. :)

The way he was able to get guys like Armstrong and Gaffney wide open was special, and unlike anything we've had here in DC on the offensive side of the ball in a long time.    

I hope we never have to hear that moronic "daddy's little boy" line of thinking ever again. 

The wildcat was a gimmick, few teams picked it up and even fewer ran it at all. We went from Carolina running it in '11 to us/Seattle/S.F in '12 -include the pistol offense in it as well-- to I think a dozen teams running either RO or the pistol in the preseason and who knows who carries it into the regular season. It's here to stay as well as the pistol, but we'll over exaggerate the fact its only run a hand full of times in a game, we're all over it because when's the last time we saw a shift in the NFL game this grand before?

Catch-22.

I want his dad to be the HC here for another decade and more. At least until he no longer has the passion to come in to work every morning. I want his last job to be here. 

Will his son be prepared to wait even if he has a guarantee to take over?

I find it hard to believe anyone is going to hire an NFL coach who is 33 years old.  I know it's happened before (maybe not THAT young, but mid 30s), but we have at least three players on the team older than he is right now, lol.

That said, I don't think you are getting 10 years out of Mike.  Maybe four or five.  Kyle's success means a lot to him.  If Mike gets one more ring I would not be surprised to see him go out on top.

1) He'll have three (garuntees him the HOF)

2) He'll be the first coach EVER to do the unthinkable.  Win a ring with two different teams (garuntees him the HOF, again)

I find it hard to believe anyone is going to hire an NFL coach who is 33 years old.  I know it's happened before (maybe not THAT young, but mid 30s), but we have at least three players on the team older than he is right now, lol.

Gruden, Cowher, and Tomlin were 34. Recent history of guys younger than that is pretty bad - Lane Kiffen 31, Raheem Morris 32, Josh McDaniels 32.  Going way back John Madden was 32 and Don Shula was 33. Shanny the Elder was 35 when he got his shot with the Raiders.

Sooooo glad we got to see Kyle with some talent on the offensive side of the ball. The first couple years it was very obvious to me (and a few other ES members) that he was an awesome offensive coordinator, even if the results weren't showing up. I remember so many bashing him back then as well, but I won't name names. :)

The way he was able to get guys like Armstrong and Gaffney wide open was special, and unlike anything we've had here in DC on the offensive side of the ball in a long time.    

I hope we never have to hear that moronic "daddy's little boy" line of thinking ever again. 

I think we were in the minority, as i was also a defender of Kyle's play-calling the first couple of years. I remember being so frustrated trying to argue with people... glad thats not an issue anymore :P

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, yet (unless I just missed it), but this really bothered me: 

The NFL didn’t let defenders hit quarterbacks freely when they held the ball in a running back’s gut last year; this year, a QB with his hands on the ball in read-option mode is fair game.

What the heck is he talking about here? I mean, I don't remember any rule change being mentioned this year. Last year they could hit the QB if they wanted then as well. 

Is he trying to will something negative here? Freudian slip, I swear.  

Archived