Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sn: Vietnam: 'jungle Men' Found Hiding From War

China

Vietnam: 'Jungle Men' Found Hiding From War

A father and son are found in the jungle after more than four decades hiding from the horrors of the Vietnam War.

Ho Van Thanh left his home village with his baby son Ho Van Lang in 1971 after a mine blast killed his wife and two of his children.

The pair apparently survived by foraging for fruit, lived in a timber treehouse and wore loin cloths made from tree bark.

The authorities were alerted after locals searching for firewood spotted the men deep in the forest in Quang Ngai province's Tay Tra district.

A team was set up to look for the pair - now aged 82 and 41 - and found them after a five hour search.

When found, Ho Van Thanh was too weak to walk and had to be taken out of the jungle on a stretcher.

The father could speak a little of the region's Cor language but the son only knew a few words.

The pair have been checked by doctors and a decision must now be made on how to reintegrate them to society.

Click on the link for the full article

I've heard people say things like "If you are going to do something commit 100%".  Well this Ho Van Thanh guy is now the mascot for that advice.  When he decided he decided that enough was enough he didn't care if the bombs stopped dropping, he was out and he wasn't having none of this "war is over" bull****.  Cheers to that guy.    

This reminds me of a story of two old soldiers in Japan who remained in the woods and refused to surrender. They thought WWII was still going on and anybody that tried to approach them would be shot at, assumed an enemy, etc. Mindblowing stuff.

are you sure that wasn't a Gilligan's Island episode?

This reminds me of a story of two old soldiers in Japan who remained in the woods and refused to surrender. They thought WWII was still going on and anybody that tried to approach them would be shot at, assumed an enemy, etc. Mindblowing stuff.

Must be the same story I am thinking about as well. Because I could have sworn I heard about something like this before.

Some of you already pointed this out, but I also remember reading stories like this about Japanese WWII soldiers.  In one case I read about, the soldiers refused to believe the war was over, and the search crew had to go find their commanding officer, bring him to this particular island to personally inform them about the end of the war and that was the only way they'd concede.

Archived