Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sow | Show Alfred Morris The Money

E-Dog Night

Hey guys and gals, haven't posted in a while here, The website keeps me sooooo busy and all that.

But I thought some of you might be interested in this one. Hail.

http://sonofwashington.com/2013/08/30/show-him-the-money/

feature-crop.png

On a sunny afternoon during the Redskins inaugural training camp in Richmond, VA, I was waiting for WR Josh Morgan to come off the field after practice so I could get a quick interview. He was the last man off the field that day, leaving just a few minutes after the 2nd-to-last player, RB Alfred Morris, made his way into the training facility.

To pass the time, I struck up a conversation with an NFL photographer who snapped shot after shot of Morgan catching passes from a member of the Redskins coaching staff. As Morris walked by us, the photographer said “What a great kid. I mean a genuinely good guy. It’s just who he is”.

It was easy to agree with that assessment. The previous season, I had interviewed the Redskins surprise starter at running back, now the all-time single season rushing leader. He could have hardly have been more gracious and accommodating, and his answers and demeanor were more suggestive of a close friend rather than a budding superstar.

As I was recalling that interview and snapping a few photos of my own, the photographer said something that jarred me. “Too bad he’ll never get paid”.

Click link to continue reading

Just because the Skins "might" not pay him doesn't mean every team in the league will feel the same way. If that scenario the agent talked about actually occurred (over 1,000 yds this season, over 1,500 next season*), someone in the NFL will indeed show Morris the money, even if it's not the Redskins.

*article said "2,500 yards" but I assume it meant 1,500 yards...if the agent really DID mean 2,500 yds then every team in the league will be throwing money at Morris lol...especially the Dan Snyder Redskins.

Just because the Skins "might" not pay him doesn't mean every team in the league will feel the same way. If that scenario the agent talked about actually occurred (over 1,000 yds this season, over 1,500 next season*), someone in the NFL will indeed show Morris the money, even if it's not the Redskins.

*article said "2,500 yards" but I assume it meant 1,500 yards...if the agent really DID mean 2,500 yds then every team in the league will be throwing money at Morris lol...especially the Dan Snyder Redskins.

yeah Remember Portis didnt get PAID in Denver with the Shanahans but he sure did get paid by someone else (Redskins!)

He did say 2500 to try to make a point, which was that even after three years of production like that, he has no leverage. After four years, of course he has a ton.

TBH, the way Shanahan has an eye for RB talent, it doesn't concern me whether we lose guys or not. 

The Butler will be locked up and doubtless very happy when he is. He's as humble as they come and just grateful to be here. If he was any more laid back he'd fall over. But, for arguments sake, he wasn't here beyond his rookie contract I'd have full faith that we'd have an adequate replacement in mind. 

Running back and Shanahan is one position I NEVER have any fear over. Having one of the best RB coaches arguably in the games history on his staff yet again doesn't harm either.

Hail.  

He did say 2500 to try to make a point, which was that even after three years of production like that, he has no leverage. After four years, of course he has a ton.

If Morris puts up 2,500 yards in a season, getting paid will be the least of his problems lol...like you just said, it may mean he has to wait a year (although I'm severely doubting that Shanahan or Allen would let a 2,500 yard RB hit the market in favor of an untested 5th rounder).

yeah Remember Portis didnt get PAID in Denver with the Shanahans but he sure did get paid by someone else (Redskins!)

Yep, and after threatening to hold out in Denver lol...

Here's my thought...

If we didn't live in the reality of the Players Union and agents, I think we keep Alfred. Why? Because I think Alfred would want a contract that is fair and pays him well, but I don't think he'd go into it going it like DeAngelo Williams and Chris Johnson recently where they were wanting essentially the biggest RB contract in the league or close to it.

The problem is, the Union isn't going to go for that. From all I remember hearing, if a player is attempting to take a significantly lower contract then the Union feels the "market" is worth then they'll get a TON of pressure about how it's messing it up for "all the other guys" by not raising the bar for what the standard contract of that quality would go for.

Based on his personality type, I could see Morris being open to a long term (think 5-6 year) contract that paid him in the range of the top 10 RB contracts in the league at that time and was rather team friendly, even if it was less than what he could demand, because it'd allow for the team overall to be better.

But I just don't think the Union and agents would go for it.

I love Alf as a guy, I love him as a runner, I love him in this system....but with what Shanahan has shown to do with running backs, if Mike and/or Kyle is still here then I'd be understanding (but sad) if they said he was too expensive if he's wanting a top 3 RB contract at that point in time.

Why are we discussing a contract upgrade for a second year player? This is what the veteran players fought for to keep the younger players from having one great year and getting paid. I wish people wound learn to abide by written contracts. My job is a Contract Analyst with the county and we cannot change the terms of a contract unless both parties agree. And Alfred doesn't strike me as the type of guy who cares about "gettin rich". I think he loves to play the game and considers himself lucky to make six figures in this country doing what he does.

Whilst it is true that Mike's system is good for RBs some people are talking like Alf is just A.N.Other RB.  He's better than all the other Shanahan RBs we've had in Washington and is still getting better.  

The OP is a nice read and I'm fully on board with the sentiments at the end.  We should reward the guys who produce on the field and set the right example in general life.  

Will be interesting to see what happens, and I will be disappointed if they low ball Alf, and even more so if Bob doesn't step up in such a situation (but only because I think he would, character wise and what Alf means to his own game from the first pro game of his own career).

Not to be cynical, I just don't think Al Mo signs a second contract with the B&G.  I think he will play himself into a Top 5 RB contract, and Shanny will trade him instead of paying the bill.

This is not a slight on Shanny or Al Mo, and I certainly understand guys wanting to get paid (especially RBs).  I hope I am wrong and we see him in DC for as long as he wants to stay.

I think we'll reward him if he can produce another two seasons like the last one while staying healthy. I know it might not be the shrewdest decision, but I think Mike knows what it'll mean to the locker room more than anything. And that is clearly important to him. Since he's been here, the culture change has been incredible and we promote/reward from within.

The players have stated that one of the first things Mike told them when he got hired here was that he was going to change how things are done here and that it would be done the right way. That guys would get rewarded for what they do as Redskins. It's why even the FAs we brought in are on incentive-heavy contracts. It's why we were able to retain so many of the players from last year. 

We're fair, and the players know it. And that has a lot to do with what we're seeing on the field from them.    

We've been trending at letting guys see what the market offer is and getting a fair to both sides deal done.  I think if Alf is producing like we expect we redo at the 3 year point rather than do that.  It's the spirit of the above two posts with the knowledge that with his production some team will throw a high offer on the table and it will effectively be disregarded in the talks anyway.

Dan has always been happy to spend the limit (as he should with the revenue generated, but not all are like that) we've just been spending it wrong, up until Mike and Bruce became involved.  Since then money matters have been fair value for both sides in every contract I've seen the figures of.

My heart says pay the man, my brain says run him into the ground while on the cheap then draft another one. 

I tend to agree...I love Alfred Morris he embodies everything I want a player to be on my team, however.....

Bill Parcells always said never waste draft picks on running backs that they are a dime a dozen. Anyone can rush effective enough so spend your money on impact players.

While I do not 100% agree with that take they guy did win two superbowls and went to a lot more than that so he might know what he was talking about.

Especially with Mike's ability to find that diamond in the rough running back we have to wait and see how he is going to perform the next few years and see if he can stay healthy and productive. His style is hard nosed and that tends to lead to injuries and a short NFL life span.

Remember two years ago everyone was talking about how effective Tim Hightower was going to be in this offense based on the preseason, and until the injury he was good, now he is out of the league.

Not to be cynical, I just don't think Al Mo signs a second contract with the B&G.  I think he will play himself into a Top 5 RB contract, and Shanny will trade him instead of paying the bill.

Morris is on a 4 year, $2.2 mill contract correct? 

Archived