Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Statement From Redskins Owner Daniel M. Snyder

TK

For Immediate Release

August 27, 2013

STATEMENT FROM REDSKINS OWNER DANIEL M. SNYDER

"We look forward to assisting the Washington Olympic Committee in presenting the nation's capital and fabulous surrounding region to the Olympic sporting world.

“We are fortunate to have most of the venues needed in an internationally recognized city that is accustomed to staging high-profile events."

For Immediate Release

August 27, 2013

STATEMENT FROM REDSKINS OWNER DANIEL M. SNYDER

"We look forward to assisting the Washington Olympic Committee in presenting the nation's capital and fabulous surrounding region to the Olympic sporting world.

“We are fortunate to have most of the venues needed in an internationally recognized city that is accustomed to staging high-profile events."

That would be great...so...will it just be a coincidence that any stadiums that are built have Burgundy and Gold everywhere? ;)

Yeah, I don't think Washington is the best place for the Olympics. The city itself, in physical size, is very small and might not have all the right venues to host the events. Even if this included the whole metro-area, I just don't know if it would work out. Plus, traffic will be the stuff of nightmares and I doubt the Metro would be able to support the influx of people. 

Everybody wants an Olympics until it happens. Then when its done they say "Never Again".

I get it....a new retractable roof stadium downtown that the Skins would use after. But still...no thanks.

It would definitely be worth putting up with for that especially if the end result is a beautiful stadium that captures DC. 

Then again, I live 3.5 hours away.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/DC-2024-Announces-Plan-to-Bid-on-2024-Summer-Olympic-Games-221307931.html

For the purpose of the bid they would promote facilities in the Baltimore-Washington-Richmond area.

Tokyo or Istanbul may get 2020. Spain is the third finalist but it would be a surprise to go back to Europe again so soon, and even in 2024, although if they did Paris or Berlin are serious.

USA has a shot in 2024, but Chicago and NY would be tough competition for DC for the USA bid. Toronto is also very interested for 2024 and they would be in with a good shout too

Oh man. If the basis for any cynicism is 2-3 weeks of inflated traffic then it really should go somewhere else to where there's greater buy-in. That's a terrible reason not to get behind it. 

The London Olympics was the single biggest thing to happen in the UK since I was born. Genuinely. The buzz was actually incredible.

I wouldn't want it here anyway. Part of what makes the Olympics so cool for me is the culture and allure of other countries. That kinda goes down the toilet when they're right in your backyard.

It was great in London this year (rather against my cynical expectations!) The rest of the world comes to you rather than the other way around. It was pretty cool.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/DC-2024-Announces-Plan-to-Bid-on-2024-Summer-Olympic-Games-221307931.html

For the purpose of the bid they would promote facilities in the Baltimore-Washington-Richmond area.

Tokyo or Istanbul may get 2020. Spain is the third finalist but it would be a surprise to go back to Europe again so soon, and even in 2024, although if they did Paris or Berlin are serious.

USA has a shot in 2024, but Chicago and NY would be tough competition for DC for the USA bid. Toronto is also very interested for 2024 and they would be in with a good shout too

Spain????? They can't afford to host a car boot sale at the moment let alone an Olympics. Berlin would be great as the next European City to host it.

If the US gets another Olympics, there needs to be a moratorium on criticism of frivolous spending.  The one in Athens was not an insignificant component of bankrupting the country. (Sure, they had a lot of other problems. But it didn't help.)

I'd LOVE to have the Olympics in DC, or anywhere US, for that matter. I'd HATE to have to pay for it as a taxpayer for Fed and VA. 

A couple of thoughts:

Dan Snyder now:  "We are fortunate to have most of the venues needed ..."

Dan Snyder later:  "This is why I need a new stadium for the Redskins."

Eleven years from now, the traffic will be so bad - whether the Olympics are here or not.

With sufficient planning (given this wouldn't happen until 2024), I believe most people and businesses could work out commuting arrangements/issues (maybe we'll all be telecommuting by then).

Everybody wants an Olympics until it happens. Then when its done they say "Never Again".

I get it....a new retractable roof stadium downtown that the Skins would use after. But still...no thanks.

Tell that to London. As HH said above, the summer of 2012 in England with the London games was like nothing I've witnessed before. Much to my utter surprise. I've never seen one single event bring the whole of Britain together like that. And the feel good factor rolled over long after the games had finished. 

London would HAPPILY have them every time if they could. 

Hail. 

As I mentioned before, one of the major concerns I have is the physical size of Washington. Greater London's size is over 600 square miles. Washington's is less than 70 miles. How far into the suburbs and how many new venues is the city/area going to have to build to sustain everything? 

I live in DC and want this to happen bad!

First off, it's WAY in the future, so who knows where any of us will be working.

This is history for DC. Lets make it happen. What an experience this would be!

And the jobs and the energy would be great

HTTR

Archived