Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I'm still not a big fan of Reese. He doesn't have particularly good hands and I just don't see the explosiveness you'd expect of someone who could survive in the pros at his size. If there is a player I hope we get to replace Moss it's got to be Robert Herron. He's got fantastic hands and great acceleration, good agility but not an elite level. Plays almost exclusively in the slot at Wyoming. Only downside on him is experience (route-running, playing the sidelines, etc) and injuries, but he hasn't had anything major. Concussion as a freshman and a shin injury (looks like shin splints) as a junior.

I tend to agree on Reese. He just doesn't seem to have "it" like Kendall Wright and Terrance Williams did the last two years. He will put up huge numbers in the Baylor system, but I don't see that translating to the pros. In fact, he may not even lead the team in receiving. Antwan Goodley looks like the real deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread is a little early don't you think. It just tells me that someone is panicing because of our first two games. It is also a wishful thinking thread that bring about guys that everyone get all hype over and they usually turn out either on another team or not as good as advertised. Do we really need an OT, TE, or QB? Are we giving up on the guys we have on the team now like the Browns did on Richardson? I just think it is a waste of time to post a thread this early about possible draft picks.

I think this thread is a little early don't you think. It just tells me that someone is panicing because of our first two games. It is also a wishful thinking thread that bring about guys that everyone get all hype over and they usually turn out either on another team or not as good as advertised. Do we really need an OT, TE, or QB? Are we giving up on the guys we have on the team now like the Browns did on Richardson? I just think it is a waste of time to post a thread this early about possible draft picks.

As long as college football is being played, it's not too early. I actually like coming in and reading this thread. It's just a collection of evaluations of various college players. Just because guys are providing their evaluation of college talent does not mean they are giving up on anyone. And if you notice, the thread was started back in August.....well before the first NFL game was played which shows it has nothing to do with panicking over the first two losses.

This is a yearly thread that gets created around the same time as NCAA football gets started....a place that prospects can be discussed in general.

The performance of the Skins has nothing to do with this thread. This is probably one of the better threads on this board in general.

Do we really need an OT, TE, or QB?

OT probably if none of young guys step up.

I just think it is a waste of time to post a thread this early about possible draft picks.

Never too early to look for the future. Also, I enjoy knowing which prospects to look for while watching college games on Saturdays. I might tune in to a game to watch a certain player that I might have skipped otherwise. So for me, this is the perfect time to start this thread.

As far as the draft goes, I think we need a safety with coverage skills at our first pick. Unless of course, if we pick up someone in FA. I like Rambo, but he seems to be lacking a little so far and we have nothing behind him. I at least want some competition there. 

Renner spins a decent ball. Purely just looking at the catchability of it, not placement or anything else, right now. Looks on par with what you can get from Grossman (large generalizations here). I haven't looked at repertoire or trajectory, velocity or range.

His system has got him in the gun more the last two seasons. So he's familiar with the Shotgun, Single-Wing RB, play-action offense. He also has under center, zone run blocking familiarity. I need to really look at him in comparison to Yates, but right now Renner has that nice mid-round label which always makes for consideration as a development back-up QB.

He's decent. My thoughts from his performance today:

- A little bit of a playmaker.

- Accuracy doesn't blow me away but it's not a negative. Makes his receivers go up and get the ball but he can put it on the money and hit them in stride.

- He's got a sneaky amount of athleticism, ran some read option today though he didn't keep it when he ran it. He scrambled and picked up yards and looked comfortable throwing on the run. Had a nice TD running left and throwing against his body. He's coordinated and can move.

My biggest concern with him is that he only looks good because he's got a ton of talent at receiver. A bunch of 6'4+ guys running by players and making circus catches. GT had a lot of trouble matching up with receivers and a lot of the big plays UNC made were because his receivers made plays.

IMO, it's more about the receivers than the QB for them. Those are the guys with NFL bodies and the special looking talent.

To me the TE Ebron was the most impressive player for UNC. Knows how to find seams, great feet, sharp acceleration out of his breaks. Runs well. Great body control and size. He's definitely an NFL player. I have to imagine he's one of the best TEs in the class.

I've been on the Jeremiah Attaouchu bandwagon for three years, finally going to come out this year. He's been GT's best player for three years.

He's an emotional player and boils over sometimes. But he's good.

Very very quick, very flexible. Fires off the snap and is a dangerous speed rusher, gets very low when he turns the corner. Good closing speed.

Explosive first few steps and regularly gets a good jump off the snap.

NFL body. Strong but not really a power player, handles contact well but isn't going to go through blocks. Good solid hitter but not the type to sell out for big hits. Doesn't have much trouble bringing guys down. Athletic tackler, good balance and body control and explosive enough to make plays off his frame.

Finds the football. Good instincts and a history of quality production.

Experience playing OLB in a 3-4 as well as a 4-3 DE. Comfortable on his feet, should have less trouble than most transitioning to that position in the NFL.

I think he's a well rounded player with good, if not elite physical attributes. That's what separates him from the blue-chippers, otherwise he plays and carries himself like a star.

It's a very Good year for OLBs at the top of the draft. Compares well to groups from most classes. Anthony Barr, Ryan Shazier, C.J. Mobley, and Kyle Van Noy are all blue chippers and probable first rounders. Hopefully they'll push Attaouchu down in the draft into our range. I think he'd be a gem in the third round but my instinct is that if he measures in at 6'4+ and maybe 245ish, he'll go in the second round.

Well this thread used to be good. Sad what things are now. 

A lot of people, including me love this thread.  Thanks to you and Monk4Hall for putting so much effort into it.  Kudos.

I follow UNC a lot, so here is my take on their prospects.

James Hurst - Four year starter.  Great hands and IQ.  Super smart, great teammate.  Low 1st-High 2nd rd

Eric Ebron - A physical beast at TE.  Makes the great plays look easy, but sometimes loses focus.  Drops some easy ones, gets some penalties, etc.  3rd Round.

Bryn Renner - Has deceptive arm strength to make all the throws.  Team leader.  Played eleven games as a sophomore with a broken foot.  Fiery guy, who tends to play better when he calms down a bit.  His footwork gets sloppy under duress at times, but I think he could be a nice backup in the league.  A little more mobile than TJ Yates, but still not the guy you want taking off on a regular basis.  His confidence will serve him well at the next level.  5th Round  

Combination of things.  First is the lack of first round picks last year and this year.  That dampens interest in the draft.  

Second is the team was successful last year so there aren't holes all over the place in the roster like there used to be.  There isn't the feeling that all the team needs to do to fix their problems is get some good guys in the draft.

Thid, a lot of the best posters from a couple of years ago left the forums or moved to the tailgate.  Some new good posters will probably come in like always, if they haven't already.  But they haven't necessarily found this thread.  To me the stadium is just kind of a mess now.

Fourth is true for me: I just don't enjoy the NFL like I used to.  Getting screwed over in the cap penalty debacle makes the league seem like a big joke.  What's the point in getting so worked up about a league that's blatantly corrupt and anti-competitive?

Football has some major scandals brewing under the table right now and it's damaging the game for me.  You've got the lockout based on the NFL making too much money and bickering about how to divy it up, you've got the ref lockout debacle, you've got the collusion debacle, huge problems with the NCAA in CFB, a tip of the iceberg concussion issue that will end up changing the nature of the game, and a potential steroid scandal if football ever gets pressured into actually testing for HGH.  10 years ago it seemed inconceivable anything could possibly derail the success of the NFL.  30 years from now I wonder if the sport will even exist.  I remember pouring over draft info in 2004 and 2005, obsessing over those drafts.  Now I just don't care like I used to.

Football has some major issues brewing but if baseball could survive steroids, betting on baseball, and all the other scandals, then football fan survive these issues. The concussion issue is the scariest, but you just need the NFL to shell out for better equipment and take Meriweather-style launch hits out of the game and really emphasizes form tackling and not leading with the head. HGH isn't as big an issue in the NFL as steroids are in the MLB because of different fan expectations .

I think that concussions could eliminate the "hit-stick" aspect of the game, but even if the NFL gets less physical, it can still be highly popular.

Well...for what its worth...coming from a guy who isn't as well versed on the X's and O's of football as I would like and who knows very little about scouting college ball....I love this thread and have loved this thread yearly.

I think that once the mock drafts start to get made later on in the year this thread will pick up.

Thanks for everything that you and several other posters whom are well versed in scouting/prospects do on this board.

To me, it just seems like ES is experiencing the lowest amount of traffic that I can EVER remember. And considering we're 0-3 right now, that's saying something. A lot of it has to do with the changeover. It's just not the same for a lot of people.

I never meant that post to be a sad sobby thing, it was more of just the fact that some of the guys who helped  me build this up just aren't here anymore. Tris is one that was great(especially at keeping myself and Steve in check). Definitely everyone else here is pulling their weight, but at the same time guys, I'm also a senior in college and am pretty busy this semester. I still watch college ball and scout, but I definitely don't have the same time as before to just sit around and study prospects.

I'm taking more of a backseat role these next few months, but theres no doubt everyone else can pull the weight. My reference to sad was that I had to go search for the thread to find it. Back in the day it was simple you just opened up the stadium and it was right there.

Alright I'll stop the ranting/rambling and all

Justin 

Football has some major issues brewing but if baseball could survive steroids, betting on baseball, and all the other scandals, then football fan survive these issues. The concussion issue is the scariest, but you just need the NFL to shell out for better equipment and take Meriweather-style launch hits out of the game and really emphasizes form tackling and not leading with the head. HGH isn't as big an issue in the NFL as steroids are in the MLB because of different fan expectations .

I think that concussions could eliminate the "hit-stick" aspect of the game, but even if the NFL gets less physical, it can still be highly popular.

I don't know that fixing the concussion issue is as simple as you say.  It'll take more than emphasizing form tackling.  I think it would at least take banning all hits above and below the waist and also take changing blocking significantly.  And I think that would massively change the game and hurt the casual appeal of the sport a great deal.  You'd probably have to try to start selling the game based on its stars like the NBA does since you can no longer sell it on its physicality.  Football does not lend itself to that.  I've got this vision of a low contact unfettered passing game in the future... eh.

But the real threat the concussion and injury issue poses is to football itself, not just the NFL.  You're talking about a cultural shift away from the sport at the earliest levels, parents no longer letting their kids play.  If that trend keeps growing, then that alone would cause the decline of the NFL.

Why is baseball no longer America's past time?  Because American kids don't play it like they used to.  My GF's father tells stories about how baseball was practically a town-wide religion when he was growing up in the 50's and 60's.  Every boy went out to try and play in the neighborhood-wide games and the adults would come and watch them.  Now we stopped playing the game, outsourced it, and then stopped caring about the sport like we used to.  When kids stop playing football, then a lot of people will stop growing up knowing and loving the game.  There go your die-hards.  The NFL has been hugely successful bringing in mainstream fans with no personal connection to the game, but they'll only stick around while the league is trendy and the league is culturally relevant.  If a sports league becomes reliant on those fans, then they're on rocky ground.  And they're going to have to keep dumbing the presentation and culture of the game down to keep it accessible and inclusive, which will hurt the league in the end.

Personally, I think the NBA and NFL are terrified of HGH testing and that the only thing that will ever make it happen is outside pressure.  Players definitely don't want it.  The leagues don't want it.  I suspect that if people definitely knew how widespread and entrenched PED usage was in those leagues, it would be disastrous for them.  Sports are compelling because they are based on very simple and ancient ideals.  Cheating destroys those ideals.    People hate cheaters more than they hate losers.  Both leagues could survive the scandal probably.  But couple that with all the other problems the NFL is facing and they're in trouble.

The NFL also another issue that could turn into a nightmare for them if the public starts to turn on them: the fact that the league is heavily subsidized by public money.  It's pretty damn outrageous that the NFL is a non-profit and gets all these tax exemptions.  I heard Gregg Easterbrook talk about how NFL stadia are 77% publicly funded too.  The NFL is the most valuable and profitable sports league in the world, its franchises are the most valuable collection of teams in the world, and Roger Goodell makes 30 million dollars a year.  And they're technically a non-profit organization that gets all kinds of tax exemptions from the government and most of their stadium costs paid for by municipalities that they hold hostage in negotiations.  It's detestable and in serious need of reform.

I'd also love for a federal investigation of the collusion scandal from the uncapped year to be conducted and for something real to come of it.  EVERYONE knows it happened.

That also doesn't take into account all of the problems that CFB has, problems the NCAA has, and how that would have a ripple effect on the NFL.

To me, it just seems like ES is experiencing the lowest amount of traffic that I can EVER remember. And considering we're 0-3 right now, that's saying something. A lot of it has to do with the changeover. It's just not the same for a lot of people.

Other popular forms of social media are siphoning off participation too.  This is long form compared to other types of social media, which are much more mobile friendly.  It takes energy and an external keyboard to follow and participate in the good threads.  A lot more energy than participating in the facile discussions of shorter formats--reading some tweets or some threads on reddit, where it's mostly an endless scroll of clever one-offs helpfully arranged by popularity.

Also, a forum's value is derived from the quality of discussion it contains.  It's only as strong as the individual posters within the community.  When you start losing lots of strong posters, it snowballs.

Are there any tight ends whose first names start with "J" and last names start with "G" and who are former basketball players?

Because that right there is GUARAN-FREAKIN'-TEEEEEEEEEEEED superstardom in the NFL.

I mean, if your first name starts with J things work pretty well, and if your last name starts with G they do too (Jason Witten, Jimmy Graham, Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, Jared Cook, Antonio Gates, Greg Olsen, Rob Gronkowski, Jermichael Finley, Tony Gonzalez), and ex-basketball players seem to be all the rage these days, so I figure if we can find one with all three we'll have an every year all-pro on our hands.

It's also the reason I'm pretty confident about Jordan Reed.

It looks like all the best safeties this year are underclassmen. Walter football has Craig Loston from LSU and Ty Zimmerman from Kansas St. as the top 2 senior safeties and are projecting rounds 2-3 for them both with 4 juniors ranked ahead of them. Its still very early and a lot can change between now and then. Time to watch some lsu and k st. games and see what these 2 look like. Anyone know anything about these 2?

Archived