Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Think We All Know A Good Football Team When We See One...

Hardcore Zornography

And this iteration of the Washington Redskins is a good football team. I know it's preseason. I know we have a lot of youngsters. But we are beating every level of every depth chart of every team we have faced thus far.

I don't care if none of the teams were jaugernaughts last season. We have had brain farts and stupid penalty after stupid penalty, and we are still beating the brakes off the teams we have played this preseason.

The guys seem to be a big family. They love helping each other out and pushing one another. We don't have any cancer in the locker room (RG3 "vs" Shanny is not cancer or a distraction).

If health holds up, we are going to be a 1-3 seed in the playoffs this year. I have never been more pumped up for a season than now, nor have I been as pleased with an overall preseason performance as the one we have shown this season. Don't give me any "Remember Osaka" junk either. This is nothing like that preseason. We have players, coaches,  and budding stars on this squad.

Who else feels like this start is not a mirage, and we are the "REAL DEAL"??

I will hesitantly agree with you. My only hesitation is the history of this team over the last 20 years or so.

They look good. Damn good.

Is MTH not going to post a guess our record thread for this season. If not would somebody else? Majorly off topic but I think we need it.

During the 4th quarter, Doc Walker commented that our starters were all in the sidelines, watching the game, shouting encouragement at the kids on the field.

(During the MNF game, there was a sideline interview with RG3, and he kept turning his head away from the interview, to watch the play on the field. In like the 3rd quarter.)

Struck me as another sign that we have a TEAM, here.

This is a good team, even without RG3.  I can't wait to see it all together.  I've seen plenty of bad preseason teams, and they usually do end up bad.  Of course there's the obvious exception of a good preseason team, bad regular season team.  But he was running an offense that nobody bothered to gameplan against.  When the season started, the wheels came off.  I think Chip Kelly might be having the same sort of early success.

I had a similar feeling watching the game today. This has the look of a good team. This is nothing like Osaka. They are running base stuff and just beating people. 1st, 2nd and 3rd string. Sure there are questions about the young guys in the secondary but I don't think they will be worse than what we saw last year. RT is an issue but again no worse than last year. Almost every other area looks like it could be better than last year.

I have to disagree slightly.

I think our OFFENSE is elite and our front seven on defense is outstanding...our offense can play and beat any team's defense and our Dline and LBs are great.

However, our secondary really scares me.  Rambo is so inconsistent it's crazy - he'll take a horrible angle, miss a tackle one play.  Then he'll come back and make a great play the very next play.  I kind of see the same in Amerson, but not to the same extent. 

In my mind we are definitely a playoff caliber team (barring any major injuries) and I think we win at least a game or two in the playoffs this year.  But our secondary will need to get things together quick and our front seven will have to play well all year to make the secondary's job easier.

But you are absolutely right that this team feels different - like a big family with a mission - to win the superbowl.  Everyone knows winning preseason games means nothing, but like you said our starters seem to be dominating other team's starters.  This should be a very fun and successful season.

Offense looks ready to contend.  Defense still has a lot to prove.  Bad penalties and big plays have occurred in each preseason game when our starters were out there.

That said, the full starting defense that the Eagles will face hasn't taken the field yet.

I'm becoming less concerned about our secondary.

Our front 7 is performing so well that it will make it very easy on our secondary. Sure, we might get beat a few times here or there but I think we will also have a huge number of turnovers because our front 7 is causing so much trouble for the opposing offense.

Our offense should be able to score at will more or less. Our defense just needs to stop them one more time than we score. This shouldn't be hard at all.

Of course, we are only a few key injuries away from a different team.

Like I pointed out, we are very young and have committed a lot of personal fouls through the first 3 games, but I think it will iron itself self once it counts.

Our Offense and Defensive front 7 will give the very young secondary some wiggle room for growing pains that will hopefully become less frequent as the season rolls along.

Guys, I won't go as far as saying the term 'nitpicking' but I think we are so used to accepting mediocrity and mistakes over the last 2 decades, we are being a little too hard on the secondary.  Those guys will get better. They can't possibly be as bad as last season, especially with Rak back to help the front.

I'm excited for the season, but you should pump the brakes a bit. The secondary is still very questionable and we have a tough schedule, so chill a little bit.

Pre-season can be a fools locker full of hope. Let the real games begin and get the shenanigans over with. 

The thing to remember about the secondary is that the young guys should improve as the year goes on and they gain experience. Last year Madieu Williams was what he was for the whole year. We did manage to win 7 straight and win the division with the horrible secondary play last year. Plus the pass rush looks to be much better this year which should help. The secondary does not have to improve that much for this team to be very hard to deal with.

I was pondering during the game just how far momentum could take us this year ala the 7 game run-in last year?

I still think we're looking at 2014 to make a serious challenge. Still too many questions right across the D. And the O-line is average at best outside of Trent.

But maybe. Just maybe .....

Hail. 

I think they have the potential to be pretty good. Can't keep losing guys to season ending injuries though. You need every bit of that 53 man roster to make noise. We'll see how the defense shakes out (mainly the secondary. The front 7 is going to hurt some people) but good luck to anyone facing this offense. Really, for right now, we only have to worry about the division, which is attainable. Doesn't matter what seed you are as long as you get in.

Pre-season can be a fools locker full of hope. Let the real games begin and get the shenanigans over with. 

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion. We are looking as close to a complete team than we have in my fanhood. Does that automatically translate to the regular season? Of course not. But it's definitely not a farce. Football is football.

Take the Jets. You can say "Man, it's just the preseason. They will work it out." But you take one look at them and you kind of start to get flashbacks to late 90's Redskins football. Hopeless.

The Skins, on the other hand, have shown very little offensively and have gone up and down the field against everybody with anybody we have put in there. That's not a sham.

The D front is still a big question mark for me. Hell, scrap that. The whole defense in various facets. 

It's one thing looking great against a horrid Steelers line and a not much better Bills one in exhibition games. It's another when the real action starts. Cofield looks stronger, but it remains to be seen what he's like when we get serious. Jenkins doesn't look to of improved at all, aside from his 4 game 'sabbatical' at the start of the year. Bowen's solid, but the main three as a whole get little to no push. (Again, not putting any stock on exhibition games.). And although I like the potential of Nield and Baker, it's still both a big step up for them and for some bizarre reason Haslett just doesn't rotate the D-line. And we're down Carriker. As much as the back ends a mess, if we get no push up front which we don't you could have DG and 21 back there and they'd struggle. The starting LB's are solid, But if, God forbid, Fletch goes down ..... And the back end is as big a mess as ever. Potential filled for the future. But messy in the here and now. And then there's Haslett .....

I don't know how anyone not getting carried away with pre-season can have confidence or not be concerned right across the D.

Hail.  

*Edit* This seemed as good a place to say this too. I can't believe Shanahan said yesterday anything but a SB victory is failure. Yes, you want to aim for the top. But keep that within your own four walls. Talk about heaping pressure on everyone before we've even begun. Low key Coach. Low key. And Garcon saying we have the best O in football is just giving opposing D's free motivation. 

Seems it's not just the fans getting carried away with themselves. 

GHH, I agree that the D is a step behind the O as of right now. But, I haven't seen anything other than potential to give up the big run occassionally and commit personal fouls that has me terribly alarmed.

This league is designed for points to be scored. It just is. There are some dreadful defenses. We were on the verge of being one last season, but we found away to turn 6's into 3's fairly consistently, and that is basically all you can ask in this era of the NFL. I don't see anything that makes me believe we can't be AT LEAST that bend but don't break style again. But I think we will be better than that. We can create turnovers. That's a BIG plus.

Offensively, as someone said above, we are closing in on elite status. That bodes well for us. If the Defense can average 21-24 or less per, we will be fine. Anything from 12-4 to 10-6. Nobody in the East scares me.

I just like what I see so far. And thinking that we haven't even scratched the surface of creative yet makes me even more optimistic that we can run with ANYBODY in the conference.

26th & 3rd

5th & 4th

29th & 7th

17th & 8th

Those are the passing rankings and turnover differential for the last 4 Super Bowl Champions.

While I am concerned about the secondary as most of you are, I just won't use that as a reason to not compete for the Super Bowl. 

I call this my Saints theory. That defense sucked, but when they needed to make a play, they always made it.

Let's just hope we make the playoffs and see if we can catch fire from there. 

I remember in years past when we would suck in the pre season, and everyone would just say "oh no worries it's just preseason". Then the regular season would come around and we would still look terrible. Remember 2006 and the Al Saunders 2000 page playbook? I don't know if we'll be good or not, I think we will be, but either way it's nice to at least look good right now.

If RG3 is healthy and in form for all 16 games, I do think we'll compete for a top 3 seed in the NFC. Seattle, San Fran, and Atlanta are the only teams in the NFC that I think are straight up better than us(Green Bay is 50/50, their D is awful though and who knows if they have a running game).

I agree that the team looks good. I think the Redskins have as good a shot at winning the SB as anyone in the League. I don't think there is any team that is outright better. I think the chemistry on this particular team is second to none. Combined with the talent, it makes the Redskins a dangerous team. Juggernaut potential. 

font issue so continuing here....our ST 3 of sundberg, forbath, and rocca are very solid.....we need the Safety health of BM....we'll be fine with Reed and Pugh as backups and I like the hitting of Jose'.  OL and DL health is huge and must continue for this to be a playoff team.  Jenkins and Tapp are huge additions to our OLB....

Archived