Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Finance: 80 House Members: Shutdown Better Than 'obamacare'

Jumbo

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/80-house-members-shutdown-better-105538794.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than a third of House Republicans urged their leader Thursday to trigger a government shutdown rather than fund the implementation of the health care overhaul they call "Obamacare."

A letter from 80 Republicans asked Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, to resist any spending bills that would accommodate the new health care law, which is nearing a critical stage of signing up millions of Americans for health coverage.

Because it's virtually certain that President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Senate would reject such demands, leaders of both parties say the standoff likely would result in a partial shutdown of the federal government, similar to those that occurred in 1995 and 1996.

The letter is mixed news for Boehner and other GOP leaders who view a government shutdown as politically unwise.

Thinking of thread about the "republicans in trouble"...ya have to give credit...even if they perceive pressure, they sure don't cave in easy. Over my life I have often felt there were many times that when the dems in congress were fiercely challenged by their opposition, they'd splinter like balsa wood and fold like a cheap tent.

Note that 153 republicans did not sign it.

Now for the 80 that signed it---If I were King I'd would swap their citizenship status and residences with anyone currently in the nation illegally.

The real test is going to be on Boehner.  The House has to extend the debt limit so we don't default on our obligations.  Its possible that there is not a majority of republican house reps who will agree to lift it.  Then Boehner may have to rely on democrat support.  If he does that, then it probably passes the Senate, which is good, but has a lot of things that will get him in trouble with the GOP reps.

We'll see.... but I still have a concern that the House CAN'T pass a debt limit increase.  

They can absolutely kiss 2016 goodbye if they let the government shut down this year.

And yes, the GOP will take the blame (rightly..or wrongly). 

To be honest, i dont think the Republicans have any chance any time soon if the younger generation votes and sees things different than the typical white republican. 

They can absolutely kiss 2016 goodbye if they let the government shut down this year.

And yes, the GOP will take the blame (rightly..or wrongly).

They'll BE to blame, but never accept it. They'll blame the POTUS, of course, for actually trying to help the nation's citizens ...you know, the folks they forgot about ...

To be honest, i dont think the Republicans have any chance any time soon if the younger generation votes and sees things different than the typical white republican. 

Well, the GOP can keep trying to make it harder for that younger generation to vote. So that's one thing...

;)

They'll BE to blame, but never accept it. They'll blame the POTUS, of course, for actually trying to help the nation's citizens ...you know, the folks they forgot about ...

The last shutdown saw the GOP largely getting the blame aimed at them by the voters.

I think this shutdown would have the same results.

Yeah, there's at least two key votes coming up. (Or rather, if the GOP extremists get their way, not being allowed to come to a vote.) The budget, and the debt limit.

Both of them make excellent hostages. "Do what we demand, or we'll intentionally harm the country".

But, the voters have seen it before. If they commit to using either of those things for hostages, people will know which Party it was, that did it.

No doubt there's some Grand Political Theater coming. (Even if it is just the fourth or whatever sequel of a bad movie.)

[insert munchout smiley]

I think you're all misinterpreting both issues.

1. The government won't be shut down. There will be a budget which funds ObamaCare. The R's are just once again making it clear that Obama owns the consequences. For example, the rumor I'm hearing is the cheapest plans (bronze) will have very high deductibles ($3-$5k). UPS just dropped spouses. Aetna dropped out of a bunch of states. Out of pocket caps removed. Data sharing for the subsidy delayed a year. There's a lot bad.

2. The debt limit has the sequester-level spending as part of the baseline. R's will stick with that as the new normal.

No govt. shut down here. Just another opportunity for politicians to act political.

Assuming your post was directed at me.

I've certainly got no problem at all with the GOP using their power no move the needle their way. They've earned that power.

It does concern me, when a large number of people in Congress actually give me the impression that they honestly believe that things like intentionally causing a debt limit crash is a desirable thing to do, if the majority Party won't give in to their demands. (Especially when I'm firmly convinced that the ONLY reason they want to kill Obamacare, is because they believe that the voters will like it, and the Democrats will get credit for it.)

But maybe the problem is that I believe their theatrics. If I was certain that it was JUST theatrics, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

But I look, for example, at what Republicans have done in Red States, to try to block this. And I can't look at the GOP and say "oh, they don't really mean that", any more.

I think you're all misinterpreting both issues.

1. The government won't be shut down. There will be a budget which funds ObamaCare. The R's are just once again making it clear that Obama owns the consequences. For example, the rumor I'm hearing is the cheapest plans (bronze) will have very high deductibles ($3-$5k). UPS just dropped spouses. Aetna dropped out of a bunch of states. Out of pocket caps removed. Data sharing for the subsidy delayed a year. There's a lot bad.

2. The debt limit has the sequester-level spending as part of the baseline. R's will stick with that as the new normal.

No govt. shut down here. Just another opportunity for politicians to act political.

Um, the cheapest plans having higher deductibles makes a lot of sense.  In fact,  it makes sense for young, generally healthy people.  That is not a negative.

These claims about UPS and Aetna, whatever... that is called anecdotal evidence, and it is basically valueless.  When Romney did this in Massachusetts, they saw the number of insured individuals rise dramatically, which is the goal.

Yes, because this is how all those beloved American fore-fathers envisioned the House working; when a bill is introduced by party A that party B doesnt like, party B will refuse to vote on the bill, then take their ball and go home. 

This is so undemocratic it's laughable you cannot justify this action on anygrounds whatsoever, this is petty party politics. If only there was some nation that decided to take up the defense of democracy internationally and has a huge army that could send troops in anytime the democratic process even looks like it is in danger to go and clean things up......

I wonder how many of those 80 republicans would accept a wage freeze- for both themselves and all of their staffers- if the House does shut down.  Technically, if they are not doing the job they are elected to, why should they be getting paid?

Thanks, Wakka...sent it to hubby (all the way downstairs, lol)...will let you know when the laughter starts...

Ezra is one of our faves. 

edit** didn't take long, huh?  He called someone, and is now telling them about the article! 

Republicans in Congress have long promised to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act since it was enacted, in 2010. Indeed, House Republicans have filed bill after bill to kill “Obamacare,” even though much of it originated in GOP-linked think tanks in the ’90s.

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinion/editorials/20130727-repeal-and-replace-with-what.ece

As far as a government shut-down goes, the phrase, "cut off one's nose to spite their face" comes to mind.

Almost like hearing Boehner talk about how its "Obama's Sequestration". 

Did sequestration originate with the White House?

Yes.

Why?  If there wasn't sequestration, we wouldn't have raised the debt ceiling in August 2011.

Sequestration was a compromise... and actually you don't hear too many people talking about how we need *more cuts* on anything but entitlement programs. 

The GOP/TEA Party should be ecstatic that sequestration is in effect and seems like they will be able to keep Federal spending at sequestration levels.  That is a huge win for them to be happy about.  They should focus on holding the line and keeping sequestration in place or getting entitlement cuts.  It could be they have their eye on entitlement cuts but Obamacare repeal is a trojan horse.   

The GOP/TEA Party should also be happy with all the delays in the Obamacare implementation.  The more they can delay it the more they can push it into the 2016 realm.  As more of the law goes into effect, there's less of a chance for repeal anyway...

This is akin to a bunch of progressives threatening to shut down the government/refuse to raise the debt ceiling over the War in Iraq circa 2004 to 2008.   

Nothing for me to like about obamacare

They raised tax deductions from 7.5 to 10%. Our insurance premiums will increase 35%. My kid can get coverage now for 73 a month. Under lousey bronze plan it will be 124

Affordable care for who?

It's worked remarkably well for me.  I got my first physical since I left the Navy in '86 for free.  GYN check for the year...free.  Mammogram, my first, about $390...got every dime back.  Checkup to make sure my BP med is working, free.  I was able to keep my doctors.  I'm on Humana. 

It has delivered on what I needed it to.  I got to find out if I'm OK.  Turns out, I'm doing fairly well.  I'm not up to speed on how it's working for folks who aren't.  Just giving it a chance to work might reveal a lot.

And no, there's nothing from the "repeal" camp about "replace".  It's been totally dropped, even Newt said so.

I'm curious what has changed for her aside from the pre-existing exemption and extended coverage -26

my ins has always paid for one complete checkup a yr and mammograms, the only change I've seen so far is my group being dropped and rates rise.

did you get on a state plan?

added to your spouses?

Archived