Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Why Texas Bans The Sale Of Tesla Cars

China

I would be in favor of repealing the law for all(not just a exemption for Telsa), there are certainly better ways to do it.

ASF....the law is to protect consumers and provide service to the vehicles locally, cars are not fast food Hersh and need serviced and warranty repairs(which is what local dealerships provide)

and since the majority of the states have the same law as Texas I will take ASF's grumbling as just noise

I agree with repealing the law, but it doesn't appear lawmakes want to repeal the law. It seems like that would have been a natural discussion to have as a way to move forward.

Automakers would figure out the best way to provide service for their cars or they won't stay in business long. If toyota sold cars in a market but didn't provide service, people just wouldn't buy their cars or someone would start garages that work on toyotas to fill the void.

The business models aren't that different to fast food. For examply, BK recently decided to go with more franchises vs company owned store to increase their own profit. Automakers use dealerships to decrease their upfront costs and there is nothing wrong with that. That shouldn't stop another company from doing it a different way.

I would be in favor of repealing the law for all(not just a exemption for Telsa), there are certainly better ways to do it.

I'll get to this in a second...

ASF....the law is to protect consumers and provide service to the vehicles locally, cars are not fast food Hersh and need serviced and warranty repairs(which is what local dealerships provide)

It protects us? How? Why then isn't every market under legislatively required dealersip requirements? Wouldn't that protect us?

Why are other industries allowed to sell directly to customers but car manufacturers are not?

Oh because of warranty repairs and local servicing....you mean EXACTLY like Apple provides with their Mac Stores?

They sell proprietary machines and they service them for their customers directly. Why can't this exist for car manufacturers? What's more is who are you or the government to say that I can't buy a car that is inconvienient for me to have serviced?

Seriously twa you're making a fantastically liberal argument here.

and since the majority of the states have the same law as Texas I will take ASF's grumbling as just noise

Right, take my grumbling as just noise. You have offer nothing of substance that would indicate that the government should be preventing direct sales of cars to customers...NOTHING. And yet you continue to advocate for a government forced business model that actually impedes free trade.

So color me and just about everyone else reading this confused, because we can't tell if your conservatism is based on economic ideals or if you're just interested in maintaining the status quo, or if you're just interested in multi-billion dollar corporations doing everything they can to crush anything that smells like an environmentally friendly industry.

I wouldn't call myself  a advocate of the law ......or Telsa. 

I am a advocate for environmentally friendly.......I think Al Gore should be put down to lower the carbon footprint,w can throw him in with the toxic waste from electric vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Mich. blocks Tesla's sales model by plugging loophole

DETROIT -- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed a bill today that effectively bars Tesla Motors Inc.’s direct-sales model in the state.

While Tesla’s model was already prohibited in Michigan, the wording of its franchise law left an opening that the automaker could potentially exploit as it has in Massachusetts, where dealers unsuccessfully tried to stop it from operating a store there. That potential loophole is now closed.

“It wasn’t the Tesla bill,” Snyder told reporters today after he signed the legislation. “It was a reaffirmation of strengthening existing Michigan law.”

Snyder said in a letter to lawmakers that an open discussion should be had on whether the current retail model should be changed. He urged the legislators to make this discussion a top priority in their next session.

“We should always be willing to re-examine our business and regulatory practices with an eye toward improving the customer experience for our citizens and doing things in a more efficient and less costly fashion,” Snyder wrote in the letter.

There was no immediate comment from Tesla this afternoon. But Daniel Crane, a University of Michigan law professor who specializes in anti-trust laws and believes in direct distribution, said in a statement that the signing of the bill was an “embarrassment.”

Click on the link for the full article

Archived