Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Why Texas Bans The Sale Of Tesla Cars

China

Why Texas Bans the Sale of Tesla Cars

...the Tesla Model S.

It’s being hailed as a game changer. It’s the first electric car to win Motor Trend’s Car of the Year; an  unprecedented 99 out of 100 rating from Consumer Reports; and now, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it’s also the safest car ever.

But if the Model S really is the car of the future, then why has Texas banned its sales in the state and why are lawmakers in several other states trying to do the same?

To answer that, first you need to meet Tesla CEO Elon Musk. He plans on opening 50 new Tesla stores in the next year. And taking a page from the Apple playbook, Musk is selling his product directly to consumers. No hard sell. No commission for employees. And uniform prices at every
store.

“We actually train people to educate,” explained Musk. “We always wanted to be a really low-key kind of friendly environment, where we're not constantly trying to close deals.”

That’s a dig at the traditional middlemen in the car-buying experience: the car dealers. Musk wants to cut them out completely. He thinks customers don’t like them and that dealers are prejudiced against
electric cars.

“It takes them at least twice as much effort to sell someone an electric car and to educate them as to why an electric car is good,” said Musk. “And so if we were to go through the traditional dealer path, the result would be a disaster.”

So Musk is declaring war on car dealers, but car dealers are also declaring war on Musk. They have already successfully booted him out of Texas and there is anti-Tesla legislation pending in North Carolina, Colorado and Virginia.

The outcome of the battle remains to be seen, but it’s just one of many standing in Musk’s way of the Model S becoming a mainstream success. For all the hype, only 20,000 have been sold.

Click on the link for the full article

I can understand if this was the State trying to protect the consumer from harm (like from a major company taking advantage of them).

But it's not. Its a special interest paying the State to protect it's business model. A model, which incidentally, makes a killing by preying on consumers. 

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't make sense (for the consumer) for the State(s) to be doing this.

I'm sure a certain someone here is going to stop by this thread and tout the genius of centrist Rick Perry in preventing the onslaught of predatory car battery proliferation....

...Before tossing out some tangential one-liner hook in search of a hungry fish?

Maybe we're thinking of the same angler.

First, I'll say that I've always admired the Tesla vehicles and I want one.

Second, let's talk a bit about Musk.  He's not trying to solve our transportation problems or our oil/gasoline consumption problems.  He has invented a vehicle that will serve as a status symbol among the petite bourgeoisie... as in the owners of newly purchased BMW, Merc & Audi vehicles, typically upper-middleclass... and he wants to do it his way, creating a unique, exclusive product.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that and I'm certainly not attempting to be dismissive of the greatness of this vehicle.  It is one of the finest vehicles ever made.

But... if Musk truly wanted to cause a massive shift in the car market as a "game changer," he would have designed a vehicle in the $30K range for the everyday man.  He would have taken the Henry Ford route and designed the Model T at a price that everyone could afford.

First, I'll say that I've always admired the Tesla vehicles and I want one.

Second, let's talk a bit about Musk.  He's not trying to solve our transportation problems or our oil/gasoline consumption problems.  He has invented a vehicle that will serve as a status symbol among the petite bourgeoisie... as in the owners of newly purchased BMW, Merc & Audi vehicles, typically upper-middleclass... and he wants to do it his way, creating a unique, exclusive product.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that and I'm certainly not attempting to be dismissive of the greatness of this vehicle.  It is one of the finest vehicles ever made.

But... if Musk truly wanted to cause a massive shift in the car market as a "game changer," he would have designed a vehicle in the $30K range for the everyday man.  He would have taken the Henry Ford route and designed the Model T at a price that everyone could afford.

He's working on it

The 35k model will be available in 2015.

My brother works at Solar City, which is essentially the residential energy equivalent of Tesla and also owned by Musk

He has been to the Tesla factory multiple times and there is some very cool stuff going on there</p>

Eventually Musk would like people to be able to charge their Tesla's at their solar powered homes provided by Solar City, and you will have additional batteries to store solar energy for several days.</p>

I'm truly shocked that someone as smart as Musk didn't take that into consideration...

Nudge nudge http://www.teslamotors.com/service

Okay.  The way the article read and from what I've heard myself it was his intention to not have an actual dealership.  You would walk up to a terminal in a store and build your vehicle and purchase it there. 

Either way the car is incredibly cool and I hope it pushes on.

I'm sure a certain someone here is going to stop by this thread and tout the genius of centrist Rick Perry in preventing the onslaught of predatory car battery proliferation....

Not until the conservative blogosphere gets its story straight. Then, we will see said post. This one is too new, he's not sure how to attack this one yet

Archived