Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Florida Insurers Are Now Free To Screw Consumers And Must, By Law, Blame Obamacare

Mad Mike

Thanks Rick Scott

Florida Insurers Are Now Free to Screw Consumers and Must, By Law, Blame Obamacare | Wendell Potter

Republicans, who control the governor's office as well as both houses of the Florida legislature, were confident the U.S. Supreme Court would declare the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional. Not only did they vote to prohibit the state from spending money to implement a law they just knew would be overturned by the high court, they refused to accept money from the federal government that would have enabled the state's department of insurance to do a better job of regulating health insurers and enforcing new consumer protections in the law.

When the Supreme Court shocked Obamacare opponents last year by upholding the law, Florida lawmakers were in a pickle.

Their response? They passed a bill that prohibits the state's Office of Insurance Regulation from protecting consumers from unreasonable rate increases for two years.

As Florida CHAIN, a state advocacy group, pointed out when Scott signed SB 1842, the law not only blocks McCarty's office from protecting consumers, a provision in the law actually requires insurers to send deceptive and misleading notices about rate increases to consumers -- and to blame Obamacare for them.

... and corporations care about American workers.

Honestly,, it's just laughable anymore.

if you're STILL a Republican listening to these people, you seriously have a mental issue...   i  mean; unless you have millions of dollars. If you don't, forget it. You are a liability .. what with you wanting to 'live your life without constantly getting screwed out of it"  or something stupid like that.

What a joke. Idiots get what they ask for.

My turn
tumblr_mpwlznMPEa1rwttbfo1_400.gif

~bang

So, this is basically where the antitrust exemption for insurance companies comes from.  Supposedly, because insurance companies are heavily regulated by the government, they are allowed to collude with each other and share certain data related to price rates and increases.  Now, in Florida there is no regulation, and they have an antitrust exemption.

This is absolutely ludicrous.  Its a cornered, rabid animal with its teeth bared ready to bite anything that comes close.  The Florida legislature, according to the article, just allowed insurance to collude with each other and create a de facto monopoly, and refuse to regulate it.  This should be interesting.

The icing on this insane cake is that through the entire economic downturn the one industry constantly in the news for record profits and growth is the insurance industry. 

I'm calling it. From now on I'm referring to the republicans as the Ferengi party

Ferengi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They and their culture are characterized by a mercantile obsession with profit and trade, and their constant efforts to swindle unwary customers into unfair deals.

Is there a worse state than Florida... I mean, what is going on down there?

There's stiff competition from several states.  Although different states do seem to excel in different areas.

----------

And hey, don;t worry, folks.  The GOP has a plan for how to save you from all of these things that we're blaming on Obama. 

We're gonna pass a federal law that says that an insurance company in (whatever state writes the laws that most favor the insurance companies) can sell insurance in all 50 states, and be completely exempt from all insurance regulations in the other 49 states.  And we're gonna pass another law that says that, even if you actually go to court and prove that your insurance company criminally screwed you, they can't be punished. 

That'll make everything better. 

Quite frankly, state licensing and regulation of health insurance should be outlawed and replaced with a single set of federal regulations that includes provisions for universal claim and referral forms. Make all insurers follow that same laws everywhere, free doctors from having to hire administrators who know how to deciphers dozens of different policy forms, allow insurers to compete and businesses/unions/trade guilds to push for a consolidated policy rate across state lines. Our health industry blows an exorbitant amount of money on needless paperwork and overhead...a much bigger chunk of the pie than people's favorite culprits like trial lawyers or immigrants.

Is there a worse state than Florida... I mean, what is going on down there?

Arizona's gotta be up there, and Mississippi and Alabama are always in the hunt. Lately, I'm wondering if my current state of residence, North Carolina, can give them all a run for their money. 

Quite frankly, state licensing and regulation of health insurance should be outlawed and replaced with a single set of federal regulations that includes provisions for universal claim and referral forms. Make all insurers follow that same laws everywhere, free doctors from having to hire administrators who know how to deciphers dozens of different policy forms, allow insurers to compete and businesses/unions/trade guilds to push for a consolidated policy rate across state lines. Our health industry blows an exorbitant amount of money on needless paperwork and overhead...a much bigger chunk of the pie than people's favorite culprits like trial lawyers or immigrants.

I do suspect that simplification would help.

I keep wondering why the insurance industry doesn't just create and impose a single billing and record keeping system, and then just impose it by decree. After all, they're paying for all that bureaucracy.

I do suspect that simplification would help.

I keep wondering why the insurance industry doesn't just create and impose a single billing and record keeping system, and then just impose it by decree. After all, they're paying for all that bureaucracy.

I assume that kind of record keeping etc. is considered administrative and therefore gets exempted from the 80/20 rule.

'Cuz otherwise...  :huh:

That's all fine and good but that's not what this is about. This is about taking care of the insurance industry rather than the people and blaming Obama for any pain it causes.

Ironically, I was just covering the ribbon cutting for the new roller coster on the Daytona Boardwalk with Scott as the guest speaker. As one of the photographers, I was right next to the podium and as he walked by he stopped to shake my hand. It took me a moment to force myself to do it. (I actually left him hanging for a few awkward seconds) The man has the handshake of a dead fish. I feel dirty now. I think I'll go take a shower.

The business of medicine in this country is a travesty.  There is literally nothing about it, at any level, that makes good long-term economic or medicinal sense.

Amen brother, this thread is like Fox News, a lot of bull**** and a lot of non truths.

None of it makes sense.

How did Rick Scott get elected? Dude should be in jail. Instead he is busy selling out his constituents to his pals.

Edit: Just found the answer to my question. He set a new standard of campaign fund raising for governorships.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-02-02/news/os-gov-race-finances-20110201_1_rick-scott-big-spender-democrat-alex-sink

Further offerings from the think tank in FLA to the think tank in the WH:

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-senator-cruz-tells-republicans-no-surrender-obamacare-233541450.html

Texas Senator Cruz tells Republicans: No surrender on Obamacare

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Texas Senator Ted Cruz, who is leading a conservative push to eliminate funding for President Barack Obama's new healthcare law, took his fight on Saturday to a forum of Republican activists where he challenged lawmakers in his party not to "surrender" on Obamacare.

Cruz, a potential 2016 Republican presidential candidate, used a speech to an Americans for Prosperity conference in Orlando, Florida, to take to task those in his party who are wary of risking a possible government shutdown in an effort to fight Obama's signature healthcare law.

"Right now, the people who are fighting the hardest against our effort to defund Obama, sadly, are Republicans," Cruz told several hundred activists. "Well, you know what: you lose 100 percent of the fight if you surrender at the outset."

To loud applause, he added that Republicans should "stand up and win the argument."

Congress, which returns to Washington on September 9 after a summer break, faces two budget fights in quick succession.

Lawmakers must pass a spending bill by October 1 to avoid a government shutdown. By mid-October, they must pass an increase in the country's borrowing limit or risk a default on the debt.

Cruz is among a group of conservative lawmakers who want to use the first showdown - over a bill to keep the government funded - to try to block Obamacare.

But many congressional Republicans, including House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, disagree with that approach even though they too oppose Obamacare.

Republicans, who control the House of Representatives, have repeatedly tried to repeal the 2010 healthcare law.

Implementation for a major part of the law will begin on October 1, when healthcare insurance marketplaces, known as exchanges, will be rolled out in the states.

Obama's Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is expected to extend federally subsidized health coverage to an estimated 7 million uninsured Americans in 2014 through the marketplaces. Republicans contend the law will be a burden on businesses and cost jobs.

The two-day gathering in Orlando of Americans for Prosperity, a conservative group backed by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, was titled "Defending the American Dream."

more fun at link

Archived