Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft: Jaws Has High Praise For Colin Kaepernick

mezcal14

The teams (other than the Panthers) that selected quarterbacks in the first round of the 2011 draft already regret not taking Colin Kaepernick instead.  Ron Jaworski of ESPN has given them reason to regret their decision even more.

“Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever,” Jaworski said on ESPN.  ”I love his skill set.  He throws with accuracy.  And in today’s NFL you have to have mobility.  He’s got all those attributes.”

Read the rest of the article here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/22/jaws-has-high-praise-for-colin-kaepernick/

It seems like just yesterday we were reading Jaws' QB countdown, where it almost pained him to "rank rookie QBs so highly".  Here we are now, a couple of months later, and this guy has the audacity to say that Kaep may be one of the best QBs of all time?!

Can we pump the breaks on the Kaepernick praise a little bit?  Why are we completely incapable of evaluating talent and discussing players without extreme hyperbole?  Can't anyone be a work in progress?  Making nice strides towards becoming one of the best QBs in the league?  Why don't we worry about where he stands in the NFL first, before we start any historical comparisons?

The worst part is, in my mind, Kaepernick is the most likely to regress this year of the so-called "Gang of Four".  I like the guy, and I think he has a ton of potential, but to be crowning him already after he's made ten total starts seems insane.  The sample size is simply far, far too low for us to have any knowledge of where he fits in the league.  I think he will struggle this year, especially now that many of his top receiving options are going to miss extended periods of time.  There is no doubt that he is a physical specimen and saw incredible success in a few games last year (the Packers playoff game, of course, was an evisceration seen on national television), but I simply don't buy into the argument that he's as refined a passer as the likes of RG3, Wilson, and Luck.

What are your thoughts?

You could replace Kaepernick with Griffin III and it would be the same thing, but of course in Jaws's "expert" eyes RG3 is like the 15th best QB in the NFL. Then again we're talking about the same Ron Jaworski who has never had a job in the NFL after his playing days were over. Just saying...

You could replace Kaepernick with Griffin III and it would be the same thing, but of course in Jaws's "expert" eyes RG3 is like the 15th best QB in the NFL. Then again we're talking about the same Ron Jaworski who has never had a job in the NFL after his playing days were over. Just saying...

Didn't he work for NFL films for a long time? Pretty sure that is a NFL signed paycheck lol  :D

I'm not sure why some of the posts above are freaking out so much. I see the word "could" right before "be one of the greatest." As in he's not one of them right now.

If jaws isn't giving Griffin as much love as some other qb it really doesn't change how good Griffin is. We've already established that the media is full of morons though I'm not sure I would call jaws a moron necessarily.

You guys feeling like kaep is a less potent, refined, or talented version of Griffin doesn't mean he won't be one of the best of all time. It doesn't mean Griffin won't be one of the best if all time either.

This article is relevant to this.

Deadspin: How ESPN Pulled A Bull**** Colin Kaepernick Story Out Of Thin Air

Basically, ESPN creates their own news. You shouldn't bother listening to anything Jaws says.

This is the effect that ESPN has. This is the effect it has on the sports world. Create a meme, report it out, repeat it all day, and let the rest of the media world re-report it, which ESPN then re-re-reports. Wash, rinse, etc. 

Let's consider the source here. Ron Jaworski is, occasionally, one of the good guys. He's an X's and O's dork. He knows football. But he's also a good company man. He gets caught up in this crap all the time due to the fact that he's a good company man. Two years ago, The New Yorker profiled Jaworski's then-boothmate Jon Gruden, and stumbled upon this:

When it was Jaworski's turn, he issued a stern proclamation. "Call me crazy, but I'm really excited for Tyler Palko tonight," he said, and a roomful of skeptical sports producers erupted in laughter. Jaworski had given himself the thankless task of building up the Chiefs, praising them as much as he could without putting his own credibility at risk. Perhaps viewers would buy into the idea, however far-fetched, that Palko would emerge as the night's underdog hero. Later that day, as Jaworski was making a cup of coffee in the ESPN bus, he tried the line again. "Call me crazy, but I'm excited about Tyler Palko," he said. He exhaled. "I've got to sell this," he said to himself.

The thing that pisses me off about all these QB rankings on ESPN is that EVERY TIME they list RG3 as the fourth of Wilson, Kaep, Luck and Griffin.  He's always listed behind those other three.  

I'm not saying a reasonable person couldn't say the other three are better, because those four all looked great.  But, how is it possible that every single time Griffin is considered the fourth of the four?

Jaws doesn't need to give Kaepernick any more praise because his ego is big enough. A man that runs for a TD and the one thing he does to celebrate is to kiss his bicep doesn't need anymore ego boost. Besides Jaws was an average QB that plays along with the ESPN line of praise the Cowboys and now the Patriots but have distain for the Redskins. Kaepernick, Wilson, and Luck are very good QB's but to have RGIII ranked behind them only shows his bias and hate for the Redskins. Jaws' opinion is about as good as Tim Tebow's chance to be a true NFL QB.

What gets me is that ESPN spins these things towards certain markets like Dallas, Boston, Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles. These places are where they have their main interest at. You also have to look at who is employed by them and where they played at. The only ESPN guy that was a former Redskins is Mark May and he does college football and not NFL so that is why he is still employed by them. They and other networks employ people from other teams but not from the Redskins. So you will always get a slanted view with a lot of bias involved. The only reason Mark Schlereth says anything good about the Redskins is because he loves Mike Shanahan otherwise he would be bashing them too. So don't be surprised by the lack of praise from anyone of these media outlets even the hometown media likes to bash them.

The thing that pisses me off about all these QB rankings on ESPN is that EVERY TIME they list RG3 as the fourth of Wilson, Kaep, Luck and Griffin. He's always listed behind those other three.

I'm not saying a reasonable person couldn't say the other three are better, because those four all looked great. But, how is it possible that every single time Griffin is considered the fourth of the four?

Easy. Griffin is the only one that hasn't proven he can stay healthy. And I'm sure if you asked these guys about their rankings, they'd tell you that's the reason.

Quite frankly, what's more baffling, to me at least, is why so many of our fans even care about this stuff.

Yes Schlereth played for the skins but he never said anything good about them until Shanahan got there. He use to bash them because he was cut by them and had a bitter taste left in his mouth from it. So saying he is a Denver guy first and a Redskin 1A is a crock of crap. Another thing as it relates to RGIII's ranking being easy because he has proven that he can't stay healty being the reason. One year and he is already considered injury prone? Some things people say that make no sense. I could see it if all of them had a couple of years under their belt and RGIII was like Vick but that isn't the case. So before that argument can be made we need to see what happens in a couple of years.

Yes Schlereth played for the skins but he never said anything good about them until Shanahan got there. He use to bash them because he was cut by them and had a bitter taste left in his mouth from it. So saying he is a Denver guy first and a Redskin 1A is a crock of crap. Another thing as it relates to RGIII's ranking being easy because he has proven that he can't stay healty being the reason. One year and he is already considered injury prone? Some things people say that make no sense. I could see it if all of them had a couple of years under their belt and RGIII was like Vick but that isn't the case. So before that argument can be made we need to see what happens in a couple of years.

3 of those 4 QBs were rookies last year and the other has played about the same number of games. ONE of them has gotten injured, and it wasn't just one injury. He also was concussed vs the Falcons, remember?

Since all 3 rookies won their division, and Kaep went to the SB, how else is anyone supposed to rate them? Take off the rose-colored glasses, bro. Like I said, it's "easy" to see why they would have RG3 at #4.

Does that mean he IS the 4th best? Not at all. Does it mean I think he's the 4th best? Nope.

It's just baffling to me how so many of our fans get bent out of shape over these guys' opinions. So silly.

This article is relevant to this.

Deadspin: How ESPN Pulled A Bull**** Colin Kaepernick Story Out Of Thin Air

Basically, ESPN creates their own news. You shouldn't bother listening to anything Jaws says.

Let's hope this standard does not apply to "The Will To Win."   :P

Easy. Griffin is the only one that hasn't proven he can stay healthy. And I'm sure if you asked these guys about their rankings, they'd tell you that's the reason.

Quite frankly, what's more baffling, to me at least, is why so many of our fans even care about this stuff.

Yep. I'm with Bubb.

3 of those 4 QBs were rookies last year and the other has played about the same number of games. ONE of them has gotten injured, and it wasn't just one injury. He also was concussed vs the Falcons, remember?

Since all 3 rookies won their division, and Kaep went to the SB, how else is anyone supposed to rate them? Take off the rose-colored glasses, bro. Like I said, it's "easy" to see why they would have RG3 at #4.

Does that mean he IS the 4th best? Not at all. Does it mean I think he's the 4th best? Nope.

It's just baffling to me how so many of our fans get bent out of shape over these guys' opinions. So silly.

Just wanted to correct this, but Luck and Wilson didn't win their divisions. The 49ers with Kaepernick won the NFC West, and the Texans won the AFC South.

So really, only Griffin and Kaepernick won their divisions. And Kaepernick only started in 7 regular season games, so half the season.

Also the 49ers were on their way to where they ended up before Kap came into the picture.  Let us not forget they were in the NFC Championship the year before with Alex Smith.  They were already a superbowl contender.

Kap took the reigns and kept the ship going but it remains to be seen what happens once defenses have game planned and he has the pressure on him when the team is 0-0 and at the beginning of the season. How fast will that fanbase flip on him if the team starts out 0-2 or something close to that.

I'm not trying to suggest he isn't going to be a good QB, just that it's pretty early to be making declarations about him.

Just wanted to correct this, but Luck and Wilson didn't win their divisions. The 49ers with Kaepernick won the NFC West, and the Texans won the AFC South.

So really, only Griffin and Kaepernick won their divisions. And Kaepernick only started in 7 regular season games, so half the season.

That's correct. I don't know what I was thinking there. I might have meant they all went to the playoffs.

Still, the Colts went from 2 wins to 11 with Luck, and Wilson, I believe, threw for the most TD passes of the 4.

I still say its easy to see why the media ranks our QB behind the other 3. Regardless, it shouldn't make one bit of difference to any of our fans. It doesn't mean anything.

Kaep has been impressive, but it's like everyone has forgotten that the 49ers were in the NFC Championship game with Alex Smith the year before. He didn't turn around a franchise or anything. He took over a team that was already rolling.

Err...what NoCalMike said.

Archived