Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Vs Steelers: Post Game-What Did You See?

darrelgreenie

Ah, great topic!  X's and O's and personnel!  This team played pretty well from top to bottom last night. 

And it started with 59 showing that poo-butt TE that we weren't going to be bullied.  The whole Steeler mentality changed after that.  Especially when Ked and Stephen stepped in and had his back... I was just like... man, I haven't seen this since my childhood in the 80's and 90's. 

Yes, it's pre-season, but those things are important!

This is my partially my post from another thread, but it applies here with a bullet!

After last night I have a HUGE question... well... more of a statement:

This defense is FAR better without Brian Orakpo.  He's a LIABILITY.  I know it's preseason, and I know there was no gameplanning, but last night AND the Titans game confirmed what I've noticed over the years... he is a one trick pony the likes of which Alex Ovechkin would laugh.

Daryl Tapp and Rob Jackson are better overall football players and both can put pressure on the passer, play the run, and Jackson can play the pass very well.

I know the Steelers offensive line is garbage, but there's other film that supports it.  And if he doesn't tighten up I'm going to be fine with not re-signing him and spending that money elsewhere (like RT or ILB).

Anyways... I was probably much more impressed with last nights game then most people.  The Steelers played very well in coverage and the QBs took what the defense gave them, the RBs did much better picking up blitzes in protection, and the mistakes were all good teaching points.

Rambo had an up and down game, what better way to bounce back from a missed tackle then coming down in the box and forcing a fumble?

The pass rush with four men was adequete to very good... often forcing holding penalties.  Tapp and Jenkins were too much for the Steelers tackles and Kerrigan on the inside is just a beast.  What a player he is.

I came away from this game more confident in the secondary than I did against the Titans.  There were passes completed, but nothing over the top... which is what Rambo gets paid for.  Gomes still needs to work on his tackling, but this team looked every bit the part they should've last night against a young offensive line.

The DC-9 (see what I did there? :) ):

1) Phillip Merling needs to be on this team.

2) It's a foregone conclusion that Tapp will be on the 53 for the season.

3) The young Will Compton introduced himself to Redskins Nation last night and performed very well.

4) Polumbus was absolutely owned last night... even in run blocking, which is his strong suit. 

5) Tackling improved (which it will as camp and practice rolls on and we get closer to the season) and the ones looked pretty good. 

6) Barry Cofield was great last night OWNING Pouncey.  Who ever said this guy should be moved to DE should get a one-week ban! :)

7) Kedric Golston... that whole highway 64 thing... that was my bad.  But it will come back if you let up one bit! ;)

8) Chris Thompson is in serious trouble. 

9) Gruden touched on it (well... more than touched, lol), but the Shanny's are the right coaches for this football team.  If Haz gets a top 15 defense this year and we can turn the ball over... this season can be special.

For me, last night's performance gets high marks most of the way around

Niles Paul still sucks more than anyone else who'll take up a roster spot. 

This is fun.

Hail. 

*Edit* Actually, I would like to amend that statement:

Niles Paul still sucks more than anyone else who'll take up a roster spot bar Gomes . The competition for top suckiness is strong that these two have going. 

1. Polumbus is still having problems in pass protection. Meanwhile Compton did really well when he came in at LT. I'd like to see Compton given a shot with the first string line at RT.

2. Cofield makes a huge difference to our D'Line. He dominated last night - admittedly against an offense which was not game planning for him. 

3. Pass rush was excellent, we were better in run fits but still give up too many cut backs with poor discipline on the backside. Poor angles and tackling from the secondary as well.

4. Rex showed why he is a lock for the 3rd QB spot and the injury to Cousins showed why we will carry 3 QBs.

5. We need to stop with the stupid unnecessary roughness penalties on defense. Its extending drives and will cost us points.

6. Helu is a lock at the 2nd running back spot and 3rd down spot. I'd like to see him return kicks a well. 

1. Polumbus is still having problems in pass protection. Meanwhile Compton did really well when he came in at LT. I'd like to see Compton given a shot with the first string line at RT.

2. Cofield makes a huge difference to our D'Line. He dominated last night - admittedly against an offense which was not game planning for him. 

3. Pass rush was excellent, we were better in run fits but still give up too many cut backs with poor discipline on the backside. Poor angles and tackling from the secondary as well.

4. Rex showed why he is a lock for the 3rd QB spot and the injury to Cousins showed why we will carry 3 QBs.

5. We need to stop with the stupid unnecessary roughness penalties on defense. Its extending drives and will cost us points.

6. Helu is a lock at the 2nd running back spot and 3rd down spot. I'd like to see him return kicks a well. 

He did a decent job on his sole return last night

I thought the pass rush was awesome, I hope we can do that against our NFC east opponents, cause while Orakpo has been our best pass rusher he has been very average against the NFC East.

Rex Grossman is not going anywhere, he is possibly better than some teams number 2 , especially when you add in his NFC Championship and Super Bowl start.

Our Rookie secondary guys, are playing like rookie secondary guys. Hopefully they can progress and will not be a liability We have Eagles,Packers,Lions for the first three games who knows what the Eagles will be doing, but we know that the Packers, and Lions like to throw and they have great receivers, we run the risk of being 1-3 if our rookies are exploited.

I liked what I saw overall, but our tackling, and guys like Hank and Paul need to either step up or be gone...sure Hank had a 1 handed TD grab but he also missed a ball over the middle that was more than catchable....Paul just has not done anything.

I saw Cousins staring down receivers like a mf'er...

I saw WRs continue to drop Pat White's passes...wtf...

I saw Grossman cement his spot as the #3 QB (or cement it even further, I should say)...

I saw the incredible potential of Hankerson if/when he gets his game together...

I saw Helu's speed yet again...damn, missed that...

I saw waaaaay too many injuries...

I saw waaaaay too many penalties...

I saw rookies struggle...

I saw Kerrigan dominate...

I saw RG3 and Shanahan looking like they have one of the best Coach/QB relationships in the NFL...

1. Ryan Kerrigan is the best defensive player on the team. Yup I said it. Guy gives 100% on every play and just doesn't stop. I think he's a lock for double-digit sacks. Especially if Orakpo plays all season.

2. Barry Cofield is severly underrated. He was a force in the middle last night. If Kerrigan and Orakpo stay healthy, I think Cofield could be in for a big year. Hopefully his hand injury isn't super serious. Doesn't sound like he'll miss any time.

3. Our safeties still need work. Rambo was your typical rookie last night. One good play, followed by a bad play. And like everyone else has said, Gomes is terrible.

4. Grossman proved he'll be on this team for as long as he can still play. He knows this offense way too well to be cut any time soon.

Our DL dominated their OL, but those guys are just terrible as a unit. When the bullets are live, I don't think we'll dominate most teams like that but they'll definitely be good. We just have to get everyone back healthy and off these suspensions.

I found myself thinking after the game that I'd like to see three players who had major minutes for us last season be gone in the first cut. Niles Paul, Dejon Gomes, and Josh Wilson. Paul is not improving as a player. He's physically talented, he just simply isn't a football player. Gomes took the worst angle on Dwyer's big run in the first quarter. The angle was so bad I thought he must've intentionally did that because he as afraid of getting trucked. Doughty is a better option there until Meriweather is healthy. Wilson is too slow to hang with recievers in this league anymore, and his coverage is no better than any of the rookies/second year players we have on this team. Let the young guys get the opportunity and let Wilson go now so he could possibly get signed onto a team that may need a guy due to injuries.

I would like our DBs to start catching passes. Amerson had one drop last week, and we had 2 or 3 dropped at least last night.

Agreed. I was shouting at the TV at one point "make the play". 

I think we will be better on defense but not great and getting turnovers is going to be key. Make the plays when they are there, dont give up dumb penalties that extend drives and get off the field. I think our defense will be at its best sat watching the offense!

Here are the positives:

- Our Defense overall looks nasty.  I know the penalties are too much right now, but even being called for all those 15-yard penalties we still didn't give up a touchdown in the first half.  I ****ing love the attitude and swagger they're playing with.

- Aldrick Robinson.  If his injury isn't serious, he can have a breakout year.  This kid has speed and has improved his route running.  Looks very comfortable/confident out there.

- Barry Cofield.  The guy looks slimmer, quicker, and has a non-stop motor.  He looked fantastic, owning All-Pro Pouncey.

- Ryan Kerrigan.  This guys looks good. Really good.  Even without Orakpo, he was consistently getting pressure and of course, that INT-TD.  Appears to have worked on his lower body strength.  Is always good for one of those TDs every year.  Hopefully he didn't waste it this year on the preaseason.

- Brandon Jenkins - Appears to take too wide of an angle to the QB, put his pass rushing talent is evident.

-Roy Helu - Looks healthy and explosive.  Could really add something to our offense that wasn't there last year.

- Rex Grossman.  Best 3rd QB in the league.  Although I hope we never need him to see any playing time during the season.

WTF Deparment:

- Leonard Hankerson.  Has another drop, then comes back to make a sick one handed TD catch.  Another Rod Gardener.

Negatives:

- DJ Gomes. Wow this guy takes horrible angles.  The backup safetys did a much better job than him (Compton, Gumbs).  He's been in the league long enough so lack of experience doesn't fly with him.  He shouldn't make the team. (BTW, did Reed Doughty even play defense last night?)

- Tyler Polumbus.  He was playing against a former Pro Bowler but wow did he look horrible.  From the look of things, RT is going to be a major problem for us, unless if someone else (Compton) takes the spot and does an adequate job.

REALLY REALLY ****ING NEGATIVE:

- Kirk Cousins NOT sliding.  I mean seriously.  WTF is it with our QBs and their refusal to just ****ing SLIDE?  The NFL is trying to protect the hell out of you.  RGIII already got hurt on MUTLIPLE occassions last year because of his refusal/inability to just ****ing SLIDE.  Kirk, when you have an elite, first round talent LB running at you full speed in the open field, SLIDE.  This is getting ridiculous.

I would like our DBs to start catching passes. Amerson had one drop last week, and we had 2 or 3 dropped at least last night.

I ended up leaving at halftime last night and I only half-watched the 2nd half because I got home after 11 and I needed to work today, lol.

But Larry, Cooley, Doc and Sonny all said Murphy had the dropsies.  I'll get a better look tonight :)

One thing I will continue to harp on and I'd like to see before the season starts is that neither Pittsburgh OR Tennessee tested the 1st team deep.  I'd like to see Rambo's coverage skills at least once before we pull out the live rounds.  I thought for sure Ben was going to test him, but I also think Tomlin realized right away that Ben wasn't going to have time in the pocket to get that to develop.

Two notes on that:

1) If we can get pressure with four rushers like this it's going to allow 59, 56, and 90 (or whatever Barnett changes his # to) to help the kids in the secondary by dropping into short zones.

2) The fact that we'll be able to keep teams from going deep will mean they will have to earn there way down the field in chunks... giving us more opportunities to spring the trap and force a turnover.

I like what I saw last night A LOT.  Probably more than most.  These kids will have there ups and downs, but when they are up they are going to be way up.

Rambo needs to work on his angles, but at least he's a rookie and has an excuse for it; Gomes doesn't.

Reed isn't ready yet. Not a big surprise.

Polumbus got shown up. Will Compton be moved to starting RT?

Daryll Tap will make the 53.

To echo what others said:

-A Jenkins/Tapp combination at the OLB spot is better and cheaper than Orakpo.  Orakpo still falls for the same things and never learns from his mistakes.  Not worth the contract he will demand.

-I really like the "tempo" of our offense when the #1's are playing.  Saw this against Tenn as well. 

-Our defense will only get better when Merriweather and Wilson are back.  Gomes is garbage.  Amerson should be the #3 CB.

-Would like to see Jamison get some more carries, especially against better competition.

-Gettis and Compton are looking very good for 2nd year OL. 

Safety is really starting to scare me. Rambo gets okie-doked too easily. Needs to work on his attack angles. I do have faith in coach Morris' ability to get him up to speed, but it may take a while. he's as green as it gets, and I don't think the next 2 weeks is going to change that too much.

Gomes...  hard to blame him for that first personal foul..  they've really handicapped the defense in calling things like that.

the second, that is on him, and he's making far too many mental mistakes for my liking.

Gumbs on the other hand showed me that he can hit. When he made contact, men went down quickly. He got a couple of good licks on decent runs by the steelers, but he ended the play when it came to him, unlike Rambo.

Also, Amerson got beat deep up the sidelines, but his reaction clearly told me he was expecting help over the top, and i don't know who's responsibility that was. Somebody blew it.

Tyler Palumbus needs to get himself straight or we have a problem on the line. He does not appear to have progressed. I like the play of everyone else along the line.

Rex..  to restart last week's argument.. or to acquiesce a bit, he looked good when he had the first and second team in with him. second half he was not sharp, but given the personel changes, i will not lay it at his feet given his play in the first half.

I liked the way White was able to run those options though. that still is on my mind, but given Rex's solid first half, I'd say they are neck and neck on my scorecard for 3rd QB..  With rex probably having a slight edge. he looked very much in command out there.. but again,that's Rex,, one week he's like that, another week he throws four picks at the 5 yard line.

Hankerson is stepping up. Just a beautiful shake move and catch on the touchdown, and a couple of really nice inside patterns.. he's using his body, looking more confident in what he can do. I like that, he has the size to be dominant.

the hit on Robinson looked bad, glad he's OK. But this is what's going to happen,, the absolutely ridiculous penalty on Gomes is enough to make every defender hit low. We're going to see a lot of blown out knees going forward.

Was that Kai Forbath I saw kicking off deep into the end zone? That was good to see.

Brandon Jenkins is QUICK. When he learns some technique, he might be a bad nasty sackbeast. Could be a real steal there.

Darryl Tapp played well.. overall i thought the linebackers did a good job.

Kerrigan..  what is not to LOVE? he is one hell of a football player.. a joy to watch. Quickly becoming my favorite player.

Cofield is a brute, and so is Kedric Gholston. They manhandled the middle. Physically owned it.

Cousins was sharp. Hope his foot's not serious. 

Holy smokes Jordan Reed is big. He's a load for a DB.. he looks like Gronkowski. 

Sav Rocca seems to have lost some distance on his punts.. ? Could be by design, but i've noticed most of his kicks in the upper 30 yard range than in the 40s.

~Bang

Ah, great topic!  X's and O's and personnel!  This team played pretty well from top to bottom last night. 

And it started with 59 showing that poo-butt TE that we weren't going to be bullied.  The whole Steeler mentality changed after that.  Especially when Ked and Stephen stepped in and had his back... I was just like... man, I haven't seen this since my childhood in the 80's and 90's. 

Yes, it's pre-season, but those things are important!

This is my partially my post from another thread, but it applies here with a bullet!

The DC-9 (see what I did there? :) ):

1) Phillip Merling needs to be on this team.

2) It's a foregone conclusion that Tapp will be on the 53 for the season.

3) The young Will Compton introduced himself to Redskins Nation last night and performed very well.

4) Polumbus was absolutely owned last night... even in run blocking, which is his strong suit. 

5) Tackling improved (which it will as camp and practice rolls on and we get closer to the season) and the ones looked pretty good. 

6) Barry Cofield was great last night OWNING Pouncey.  Who ever said this guy should be moved to DE should get a one-week ban! :)

7) Kedric Golston... that whole highway 64 thing... that was my bad.  But it will come back if you let up one bit! ;)

8) Chris Thompson is in serious trouble. 

9) Gruden touched on it (well... more than touched, lol), but the Shanny's are the right coaches for this football team.  If Haz gets a top 15 defense this year and we can turn the ball over... this season can be special.

For me, last night's performance gets high marks most of the way around

Great breakdown!  

This part:  

"Polumbus was absolutely owned last night."  

Is what I noticed the most.  Man, he totally sucked last night.  Hope he just had an off night, but he has me very worried now.

Overall, I thought it was a tough game to assess on offense.  But, here are my general thoughts:

1) Kerrigan is a BEAST.  Absolutely love that guy.  He is better than Orakpo--a much more complete player.  Speaking of Orakpo: this is the year where I need to see a serious jump from him.  He needs to shed the "one-trick-pony" reputation.  If he wants to be elite, or even really good, he should always dominate one-on-one battles.  He shouldn't lose contain so often.  He needs to really step up this year.  If he does, the defensive front 7 will be scary.

2) We have more depth on the D-line than we've had in a long, long time.  Football is won in the trenches.  It's really fantastic to see us build a team the right way.  I'm very impressed with the personnel decisions that have been made by this front office, and those decisions are really bearing fruit.

3) Perry Riley: He's too quiet.  I want to see much more from him.  He rarely jumps out to me.  Seems to have trouble shedding blocks, makes very few impact plays.  It's not an immediate need, but if he doesn't step it up, I'd like to see us upgrade.  B. Kehl needs a lot of work.  Bad angles, speed is suspect.  Brandon Jenkins looks like he could be a beast.  Want to see him get some more time in the preseason.  

4) Secondary--I think Amerson will be very very good for us.  I though for the most part we covered well.  It looked like the Steelers QBs had issues going downfield due to the pressure and the coverage.  Rambo needs work in space.  Having Hall and Wilson will allow these young guys to get up to speed slowly.  

Offense:

1) Again, hard to assess given the QB issues (heal up Kirk!).  Run blocking and pass blocking looked fine to me for the most part, with the exception of Polumbus.  

2) I thought Jamison looked better than C. Thompson.  One of them will probably be cut, and one will probably be stashed on the practice squad.  

3) Aldrick looked great--seems like he's really progressed and could be a fantastic stretch the field player for us.  

4) The offensive players look so comfortable in the system.  With a healthy RGIII, this will be a very explosive, very efficient, very fun to watch offense.  We haven't even seen much of anything so far.  

5) I'm with those who think it's time to clear Niles Paul's roster spot.  Especially with Jordan Reed on board and his potential upside.  There's no way Paul should be on the roster this year.

Special Teams:

1)  Looks like the penalties have been cleaned up for the most part.  

2) Rocca looks like he's kicking a dead weight when he punts, but the hang time is decent.  

Overall, it was a bit of sloppy game (I think we would have looked even better with Kirk playing the first half), but we dominated an opponent in several areas, and we played with intensity.  The Gomes personal foul really, really bothered me.  If refs are going to throw flags on a play like that, we might as well eliminate contact in this game.

Archived