Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Steelers: Just The Touchdowns

I don't know about everybody else but I think this defense is going to be something special this year!

Hail jaycee - Glad you made it to the site.

I agree, the D could be very good this year. I actually heard Cris Carter say that if we can get the same production from D that we did last night that we are a Super Bowl contender! That's not a real stretch. 

I pointed out at the end of last year that the D was making huge strides. The first 8 games we gave up 28.4 pts/gm. The last 8 games it went all the way down to 20.1 pts/gm. We also reduced the passing yards allowed by more than 60 yards! I think it was like 320 yds/gm for the first 8 games down to to 263 yds/gm for the last 8 games. 

Hail Hoskins!

I absolutely agree. This new site is going to take some getting used to but I fear we have already lost so many of the core of our great fanbase that it will never recover.

I to believe we can be a force to reckon with if the defense plays like we saw last night. Look out NFC the Skins are about to lay claim to our winning heritage once again. Boy does it feel good to be a Skins fan!

1. It’s a good thing Barry Cofield's hand injury isn’t more serious and shouldn’t keep him out of any regular-season games. Cofield has looked exceptional in camp and was particularly good versus the Steelers. He twice beat Maurkice Pouncey with a swim move past his left shoulder and was disruptive in the backfield. What’s becoming clear is that Cofield and Stephen Bowen will receive fewer double teams with an improved rush from the linebackers, forcing extra attention. The more the Redskins can collapse the pocket, the better off they will be. On Cofield’s sack, one reason he was able to get there was because of an extra push by Bowen and end Kedric Golston (who is having an excellent camp). Cofield relied on athleticism to get him through his first season at nose tackle; now he’s using quickness and smarts. His ability to read plays has definitely improved. Combine that with his speed and he could be a major pest for offensive lines.

--John Keim

The main reason I want to put out this post was to not only demonstrate just how good Cofield looked against one of the best Centers in the NFL but also I have to agree about Kedric Golston. I've never seen him stand out like he has these past two games. He looks like he is just overpowering anyone they put in front of him.

Hail Hoskins!

I absolutely agree. This new site is going to take some getting used to but I fear we have already lost so many of the core of our great fanbase that it will never recover.

I to believe we can be a force to reckon with if the defense plays like we saw last night. Look out NFC the Skins are about to lay claim to our winning heritage once again. Boy does it feel good to be a Skins fan!

hail jaycee ,,there are about 15-20 of us that are back posting we did lose one though look on page 2 of 4 keys to the steelers game ,someone got banned and you can probably guess who  .

yeah even with the cap penalty we seem to be building a defense close to the offense we already have ,we must have Mara banging his head against the wall that he couldn't stop it so his gaints could be top dog !!!lmaorofgfa!!!

The main reason I want to put out this post was to not only demonstrate just how good Cofield looked against one of the best Centers in the NFL but also I have to agree about Kedric Golston. I've never seen him stand out like he has these past two games. He looks like he is just overpowering anyone they put in front of him.

it does look like the dline is going to be a force ,Kerrigan just keeps amazing us 3 ints  in 3 years isn't a fluke 

I was surprised to see Keiland Williams getting the bulk of the carriers. I think this suggest the coaching staff hasn't given up on him. His average ypc was close to 5 yards so I don't think he did anything to hurt his current chances.
Thompson took a hard hit from another rookie in Safety Shamarko Thomas. I'm not sure who watched the combine earlier this year but Shamarko was the one that raised eye brows over his athleticism and overall performance. Anyway, Thompson dropped the ball and came up holding his arm. This doesn't look like the same RB at Florida State who IMO resembled Tiki Barber. I hope it was first game jitters or him physically still trying to return back to form.
I thought Jamison did okay in hitting the holes but he didn't demonstrate any of that shiftiness he is known for.
Helu had one carry but that was enough for 30 yards and a touchdown.

post-210866-0-72032700-1377011097_thumb.jpg

I was surprised to see Keiland Williams getting the bulk of the carriers. I think this suggest the coaching staff hasn't given up on him. His average ypc was close to 5 yards so I don't think he did anything to hurt his current chances.

Thompson took a hard hit from another rookie in Safety Shamarko Thomas. I'm not sure who watched the combine earlier this year but Shamarko was the one that raised eye brows over his athleticism and overall performance. Anyway, Thompson dropped the ball and came up holding his arm. This doesn't look like the same RB at Florida State who IMO resembled Tiki Barber. I hope it was first game jitters or him physically still trying to return back to form.

I thought Jamison did okay in hitting the holes but he didn't demonstrate any of that shiftiness he is known for.

Helu had one carry but that was enough for 30 yards and a touchdown..

man i wish i could have seen the game ,listening on my phone isn't the same,but from what i could listen to thompson had some bad luck ,the play after helu scores .

but on a side note listening to larry ,sonny and cooley was okay but the seem to be working out the kinks on the commentating Sonny sounded lost or couldn;t a word in at times larry a good job on play by play  but seemed to letting cooley talk more than Sonny!!

it does look like the dline is going to be a force ,Kerrigan just keeps amazing us 3 ints  in 3 years isn't a fluke 

That dump pass used to kill us. I remember when mcblabb and the iggles would just kill us over and over again. But with Kerrigan there, teams just can't use that play like they did before. He was a beast last night. He was everywhere. It makes sense. This is his 3rd year as an OLB. He should be able to play without thinking about what he needs to do.

I really liked our sense of urgency on D last night. Also, Coefield was flat out handling pouncey who is one of the best centers in football. He straight up trucked him a couple times. It was awesome! If the secondary can just play average, this could be an awesome Def.

Hail Goskins!

Jaycee - Once the season gets into full swing I think you will see a lot more people returning.  Many don't get real involved until the season starts anyway.

This had to happen though. The old site was completely out of hand between people cussing and fighting and others trying to dictate who could post and what they could say.    The moderators here take no grief and completely and swiftly enforce the rules and guidelines. I for one am very happy to see this. We can finally get back to talking Redskins football in a fun manner for all.

Knowing that it will stay that way should get some more of the quality posters like yourself back to stay. The group that's here now is awesome! Just like the old days!    HTTR!!

Hail JD- I can't wait to watch the game again tonight to key in on certain players like Golston, he's a mean sob.

Looks like they goofed Hankerson's touchdown is against the Titans Not the Steelers HTTR Anyway HA HA

Hankerson did score a touchdown against the Steelers. What are you saying?

We could do far worse than have Rexy as our 3rd string qb. Probably safe to say that Grossman is the best 3rd string qb in the NFL. We already know Cousins is rated the best backup...so why not?

Looks like they goofed Hankerson's touchdown is against the Titans Not the Steelers HTTR Anyway HA HA

I saw the mix up above as well. Anyway, I didn't mine watching that TD again. It was Hanks best yet.

Hail Manchild, look at the above video where they have the Titans video on Hank scoring instead of the one from last night.

I saw the mix up above as well. Anyway, I didn't mine watching that TD again. It was Hanks best yet.

Hail Manchild, look at the above video where they have the Titans vidow on Hank scoring instead of the one last night.

My bad, didn't notice the video, was responding to the post. Tighten up videographer!!!

I'll save my judgement about the D until they're able to CONSISTENTLY get 3 & outs or get stops on 3rd downs. Yes, the #s from the 1st half to the 2nd half of the season were better but we struggled on 3rd downs all year. This bend but don't break kind of D is what's going to get us kicked out of the postseason far too early & away from the SB altogether.

HTTR!!!

Hail Canada - I don't think anyone is saying they are done and without work to do. I agree they are still very much a work in progress. My only point is and has been that they seemed to start, and I stress start, to turn it around the second half of last year. No doubt 3rd down was a problem. We need a better and much more consistent pass rush. The secondary while improved from start to finish still needed basically a complete overhaul.

To the last point, I am hearing the Josh Wilson is not having a very good camp. Neither he or Hall are locks to make the team. If the young guys are anywhere close it would be better to move on and get them playing time than limp along with a guy who has played himself out of the long term plans.

Regarding the defense; I think the additions of Merling, Tapp, and Jenkins will help with the pass rushing. Also Cofield looks better than ever and is on the verge of a breakout season. Kerrigan is getting better every season and if Orakpo can remain healthy and on the field then we'll have a terrific pass rush to aid our young/vulnerable defensive back field. Barring injury, I have little doubt about our defense improving from last season. Can they be among the top 10? Yes, I believe so! Can they be among the Top 5? Not likely, at least without a drastic improvement with our safety situation. I also think Amerson and Minnifeld (please don't reinjure that knee) will significantly improve the depth at corner back. The Jenkins and Jackson suspensions will have some impact in the begginning of the season. However, I believe Haslett will be able to utilize our talented Linebackers to compensate for those loses in the first 4 games.

The defensive line is agressive and Deep. The Rookies and Sencond year men are getting a lot of reps. It's good that they are making the mistakes now when the games mean nothing as opposed to the regular season. The D-line practically owned the Steelers O-line. I particularly like the allignment where Kerrigan moved into the End slot and the Rookie Jenkins plays the OLB... it caused all kinds of havoc.

RJMJR (formely 40GUT)

The defensive line is agressive and Deep. The Rookies and Sencond year men are getting a lot of reps. It's good that they are making the mistakes now when the games mean nothing as opposed to the regular season. The D-line practically owned the Steelers O-line. I particularly like the allignment where Kerrigan moved into the End slot and the Rookie Jenkins plays the OLB... it caused all kinds of havoc. RJMJR (formely 40GUT)

hail rjmjr, glad to see you made it to the new format,

yeah the defense looks like it going to be a beast this year  and with our offense ,the nfl better look out we just might win it all.!!!

winning the superbowl in Maras house ,what poetic justice ,that must have Mara up at night banging his head against the wall.

we are building a championship team despite his bogus cap penalty..

P.S.changed handle from (httr1)

This is hardly a revelation and I should have caught this one earlier. I was surprised to see Helu in the game so late in the 4th Quarter. It's not like Jamison wasn't able enough to finish off the game as the RB. However, I think the coaching staff wanted to get a feel how Helu would perform in the pistol formation zone read option by simulating a game like situation with RG3 via Pat White. If that was the case then I think the results look very positive. Aside from the recent surge in our pass rush I'm most excited to see how our running game will perform with RG3, AM, and Helu in the mix. Avoiding any possible injury, I wouldn't be surprised if we reign again as the best running team in the NFL this season. 

Archived