Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Post Game Quotes

TK

August 19, 2013.

FedExField.

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On injuries:

“[Quarterback] Kirk Cousins has a mid-foot sprain. They feel like it’s mild right now, so that’s a good sign. 

[Nose tackle] Barry Cofield had a bone in his right hand, there was a little fracture in his right hand, but he should be okay, but he’ll have to have a cast on. [Running back] Keiland Williams had a left knee strain. 

[Running back] Chris Thompson has a left shoulder strain. [Wide receiver] Aldrick Robinson had a thigh bruise.

[Wide receiver] Leonard Hankerson had a knee bruise. So those are some of the injuries today.

I did talk with Dr. [James] Andrews before the game; he feels great about Robert’s [quarterback Robert Griffin III’s] progress. He really feels the same way as he did before camp with practice – he feels good about him practicing. He doesn’t feel like we should put him in any games. He’s going to re-evaluate him after the Tampa game and then he’ll make a decision, at least from his perspective, about where he is. But, like I said, he feels very good about where he is at this time. If there are no setbacks, he thinks he’ll be ready, but that’s assuming there is no setback here over the next couple of weeks so that’s a good sign.”

On quarterback Kirk Cousins and if he has ruled out a Lisfranc injury:

“Well, I asked the same question. I asked if it was a possibility because we felt that way last time – it said the X-rays were negative, and it wound up being a Lisfranc. But they don’t feel that way at this time.”

On nose tackle Barry Cofield’s injury:

“In fact, there’s Barry right now. Barry, stick up that hand for everybody would you [laughter]? He’s okay. He can wave it so we’ve got to put a little cast on it, but I’m sure that’s not going to keep him out. Most guys right now would be in the hospital in intensive care, but he’s able to talk to you guys so it gives you an idea of how tough he is. He’ll be able to play through it.”

On if Cousins will have follow-up testing:

“Sure, he’ll have an MRI tomorrow, but at least it was a good sign with the doctors today.”

On Cofield’s performance prior to his injury: 

“Yeah, I just kicked Barry out so I don’t have to brag in front of him. But, Barry’s been playing great, and there are reasons why he’s like a team captain. You know, I was pleased with our defense. Anytime you have three turnovers, you have four sacks, you hold a football team to 13 points, you know you’ve got to play good collectively. I thought there was some great effort out there. By no means was it perfect. Too many penalties, a lot of mistakes. We have a chance to evaluate a lot of our personnel, and there’s going to be some tough decisions to be made about the 53 and the eight-man practice squad.”

On four turnovers and three personal fouls:

“Well, that’s what you have to do; you can’t beat yourself, and you’ve got to take a look at the personal fouls. You’ve got to eliminate them. And that’s one of the reasons why you have the preseason is to eliminate those silly mistakes. And we’ll emphasize them. We’ll talk about them, and hopefully, next week we won’t have quite as many. But when you’re able to overcome some of those mistakes, that means a lot of people are playing hard and playing together, but like you mentioned, that’s way too many mistakes.” 

On Dr. James Andrews’ evaluation of Robert Griffin III:

“He watched him out on the field. Then he brought him in, obviously, checked him out. You know, it’s the first time he’s checked Robert since we went to training camp, when he approved that he could practice, and he felt very good about his progress. Again, he’s going to come back in a couple weeks after our preseason is over, re-evaluate him again, and then he’ll give us the yay or a nay, but right now he feels that his progress has been good and he’s hoping that there are no setbacks.”

On if there is a date set for Dr. Andrews’ decision:

“After the Tampa game, he’s going to be with us, and he’s going to give us an idea how he feels about him at that time. But, you know, we’ve still got a couple more weeks of practice. We’ll go through this week, we still have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and the following week, we have the same thing. We have a three-day preparation with a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday before we play Thursday, and then he’ll evaluate him after the game and tell us where he’s at. And he’ll do the same thing that he did today. I’m sure he’ll look at him workout, see if his knee is where he thinks it should be, and then let us know what he believes is right, along with the other doctors. We’ve got Dr. [Christopher] Annunziata, obviously they will confer and give us what they think.”

On if the decision about Griffin III’s availability is Dr. Andrews’ decision alone:

“If Dr. Andrews felt that his knee wasn’t ready, we surely wouldn’t play him. I don’t know what the communication was. I hate to make a comment on hearsay. I’m not exactly sure what was said, but we surely wouldn’t play him if he didn’t feel that it was in the best interest of Robert and this organization to play him. We’re hoping there’s no setback. He’s been doing great, and there’s no reason to have a setback, but you never know. We’re going to have two more weeks of practice, and we’re going to put him through situations like we’ve been doing over the last three and a half weeks, and keep our fingers crossed that there isn’t a setback and if there isn’t, he should be ready for Philadelphia.”

On concern about injuries to wide receiver Aldrick Robinson, wide receiver Leonard Hankerson, running back Keiland Williams and running back Chris Thompson:

“I don’t think it’s too bad. I think Aldrick was a little thigh bruise, and Hank, it was just a strain. He [Hankerson] said he felt pretty good after the game, according to the trainers, but you never know for sure. Twenty-four hours, 48 hours, it can change, just like it did with [Phillip] Thomas so you never really do know, but I’m just giving you an idea of what they told me.”

NT Barry Cofield

On his injury:

“I’m not really sure what happened… I was trying to tackle [ben] Roethlisberger. I keep my fingers taped up, so I’m not really positive how it happened. I don’t know if it hit the ground, or got stepped on, or a helmet [hit it]. I was telling the guys that I broke the same bone in my other hand in eighth grade and came back and played great in middle school football. So I’m not too worried about it, and I think I should bounce back with a little tape and TLC.”

On the improvement of the run defense in tonight’s contest compared to last week against Tennessee:

“Yeah, I mean, it’s a work in progress. We still gave up a couple runs today that we shouldn’t have – just people not fitting correctly, and a lot of times that happens when the playbook is more open in the preseason. You’re not zeroing in with a game plan and you’ve got a lot of guys playing in different spots and coming in and out; there’s a lot of excuses, but we’ve got to tighten up our run defense and if we continue to pressure the quarterback, I think we’ll be happy.”

On which bone in his hand is broken:

“Oh, man… I’m not a doctor. It’s just in the hand, and they [team doctors] said it was a pretty clean break – no surgery needed or anything like that. So, I’m optimistic.”

On if he will play in the next two preseason games against Buffalo and Tampa Bay:

“I do not know. Hopefully we can tape it up, and I can definitely get some work in practice, and we’ll see what the coach’s plan is. But obviously, my main goal – the most important game – is Philly, and I’d be surprised if I wasn’t able to be out there.”

On nose tackles Chris Neild and Ron Brace playing behind him and how he’s seen them develop since the first preseason game:

“They both played well in the first game. Coach was pleased with them. The tape looked good, and Chris just bounced back from his knee injury better than we could have hoped for. We’ve got a lot of depth, and we’ve already taken some losses up front, but Coach has worked tirelessly with everybody – getting to practice against our offense, which is a tall order for our D-line with our scheme. So we feel like if we can compete with those guys, then we can compete with anybody. And so far, I think we’ve been pretty solid.”

LB Ryan Kerrigan 

On his first quarter interception return for a touchdown:

“Hopefully I didn’t waste a pick-six in the preseason, but it felt good to get in the end zone. We didn’t force any turnovers in the first game, so to get a couple of them out there, it felt good. Hopefully more to come, both this week against Buffalo and then in the regular season.”

On gaining control of the ball and almost dropping it before he scored:

“[i didn’t get control of the ball] until probably seven yards after I initially picked it. I thought I was going to drop it. I was terrified I was going to drop it, but thank goodness I didn’t.” 

On how he sensed that a screen pass was coming and intercepted the ball:

“I could kind of tell by the way the tackle was setting and then by the way the back had a wider path when he was coming out of the backfield. I sensed it then.”

On how he felt the defense played tonight:

“I was really proud of the way we played. We only allowed two field goals in the first half and 13 points total. That’s a really good job by our defense.”

DE Kedric Golston

On the defense’s mindset:

“We had the same attitude last week. You could have 10 guys doing it right, but if one guy is out of his gap, that’s how big runs happen. We understand that we have to stop the run, and we take a lot of pride in it. We came in here with that mindset. I think we did a good job with it. The Pittsburgh Steelers weren’t able to run the football.”

On the importance of the defense’s pressure:

“I mean definitely, obviously, it’s a majority passing league, so you definitely have to get after the quarterback to help relieve some of the pressure off the back end.”

On the team’s good start on defense:

“You always want to start fast. I think guys did a great job of honing in. Obviously breaking camp a couple days ago, but staying focused and understanding that we still had to prepare for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I’m definitely excited about the mentality of this football team and the preparation everyone goes through day in and day out.”

On the speed of the game:

“I felt good. I thought it was going to be a little faster than what it was. Practice is faster than what it was today, so it felt pretty good and it gave me a little confidence going into next week.”

On feeling prepared going into the game:

“I felt prepared. [Tight Ends Coach] Sean [McVay] has been working me hard on the plays and things like that. I just have to keep getting better and getting more reps in practice.”

On how he could improve from tonight’s performance:

“I didn’t like that I dropped the ball and I had a couple missed assignments. I liked the fact that I thought the game wasn’t too fast for me, and I felt comfortable playing it.”

WR Leonard Hankerson

On how the team played tonight:

“As a team, we went out there and we made plays on offense and defense.”

On the one-handed grab for a touchdown in the second quarter:

“I tried that. I just tried something in the end zone and I came down with it.”

On how he is trying to improve this season:

“I’m just taking it one game at a time, one day at a time and one practice at a time. I’m just going out there and just trying to get better each and every day, and just doing the little things. Whatever it takes. Running routes before practice, after practice, catching footballs and stuff like that. Just trying to make it day by day and trying to get better.”

Happy for Hank. 2 TD's in 2 games. Still has the occasional drop, but he looks good otherwise. He has the speed/size to beat any 3rd corner back on any team on any given play. Maybe this is his breakout 3rd year. 

I just think he's gotten a bit of a tough break, with the condensed offseason, injury, and recovery offseason. He definitely looks more spry this time around, with the full TC and offseason workouts. Hopefully he make a bigger impact this year.

Archived