Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football! Redskins Vs Steelers: What Are You Looking For?

darrelgreenie

First and foremost I'm certain we are all hoping for an injury free game.

Preseason game #2 vs the Steelers. The Cousins is taking both the 1st and 2nd team reps.

What players, areas or competitions are you going to watch closely?

What do want to see?

Who are you rooting for?

Or any other game related discussion

I have full faith in Kirk.  It's going to be a good test for him dealing with a penetrating defense, but I think he'll take what the defense gives him and he'll be fine.

I'll be watching the WR3 battle:  Hankerson, Robinson... maybe a little Lance Lewis?:

-- Would love to see some consistency.

-- I want to see Robinson play with some consistency on intermediate routes and with his hands

-- I want to see Hankerson play like he is 6'2" and 220lbs plus.  That last drive he was in on was butter... I like butter on my bread. :)

I want to see Rambo improve on his performance from last week and I want to see overall improvement on tackling in the secondary:

-- Look, CJ2K can make anyone look silly.  Write it off and get over it.

-- He wasn't tested deep vs Jake Locker.  He'll get tested tonight vs Ben and the Steelers WR.  Let's see what we have here.

Run defense:

-- Let's see if after a game we've improved on the run defense.  I'm looking at you 98.

Depth vs Depth:

-- LL pointed it out on twitter earlier today.  We'll get a good look at what our depth is actually like stacked up against a good, deep Steelers organization. 

Penalties:

-- Let's get it together on the penalties, men.  The Titans got points on the long drive because of dumb penalties.  Tighten up.

First and foremost I'm certain we are all hoping for an injury free game.

Preseason game #2 vs the Steelers. The Cousins is taking both the 1st and 2nd team reps.

What players, areas or competitions are you going to watch closely? Chris Thompson

What do want to see? Chris Thompson

Who are you rooting for? Chris Thompson

Or any other game related discussion - Chris Thompson

Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson

We heard good things about them, it's going to be nice to see them play in a real game.

The people who didn't play last week.
I can't wait to see Cofield, Garcon, Morris, and everybody else that didn't play.

Ammerson and Rambo.

Can Ammerson play as well as he played last week? Will Rambo let one bad thing, that wasn't all his fault anyway, help him or hurt him?

Dat Pass rush

I want to see if they run a package on third and long with Kerrigan, Cofield, and Bowen on the line with Orakpo and Brandon Jenkins on the edge. The same formation they ran on the Titans last week.

Pass Protection

I want to seem improvement.

Honestly?  For the starters to get in their reps and get out of the game quickly.

When it comes to teams like Pittsburgh & Baltimore, their defense plays aggressive even in preseason. I don't want any of our starters getting injured due to over-zealous players in the preseason.

DC9-

One area that you didn't mention that I'm sure will catch your eye: ILB depth.

Last week the 2nd unit ILB didn't make any stand out plays.

According to Rich Tandler Muckelroy might not play.

Our boy Quan Sturdivant has an opening to flash if Muck is out.

I'm looking for someone to rise up like Kehl did last year and start making plays that force us to take notice.

I'm looking for that one "bubble" guy that stands out play after play.  I was somewhat disappointed in game one that seemingly none of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th string guys made consistent plays and stood out.  I'm a little worried that there are a bunch of guys that we drafted this year who are coming off of injuries (some more severe than others) but we're hoping that they've recovered and will produce.

I'm not seeing the progression b/c they're either not ready to play in a game or are still a step slow or not quite strong enough to stand out.  To me, it's a recipe for disaster to rely on more than a handful of guys contributing this year and they still haven't healed or recovered completely.  

Shanahan has tried this method with FA and draftees alike and it's failed more often than not.  Healthy bodies > Injured bodies with potential.    

DC9-

One area that you didn't mention that I'm sure will catch your eye: ILB depth.

Last week the 2nd unit ILB didn't make any stand out plays.

According to Rich Tandler Muckelroy might not play.

Our boy Quan Sturdivant has an opening to flash if Muck is out.

I'm looking for someone to rise up like Kehl did last year and start making plays that force us to take notice.

I'll keep an eye on that for sure :)

And Kimbrough was a BEAST last week.  I hope we can bring him back to camp next year.  If we get that effort out of Quan he'll make this roster.

As far as Kehl, I'm a BIG fan of his and I'd love to see one of the vets (Kehl or Barnett) become a two to three year replacement for 59 (I just have little faith in Keenan, he's an uber talent, but two years out of the NFL is nothing to bank on)  But I think if we can get one of these young guys (Muck or Quan) to step up I don't think anyone would be upset about that.

I've said before, I was PISSED when we drafted Riley over Muckelroy in 2010, lol.  I would love to be able to have both of them.  And Quan is just so physically gifted... he needs that control though.  Especially in this scheme.

I don't think we are as thin there as most people do.

Specific players,

How well Captain Kirk performs.

The Rookies such as C. Thompson, J. Reed, Rambo's improvement, Amerson's cover ability, and cant forget the added pass rush in B Jenkins.

In addition I want to watch Lance Lewis! ECU Baby

Thats the first thing that comes to my mind, but obviously theres more

For me its:

--Run defense. Can we fix what we did wrong against the Titans? The Steelers are more of a smash mouth team and will try to push our DL around. I'm interested to see how they respond.

--Secondary. The secondary didn't look bad last week, but I'd like to see some improvement from Rambo and for Amerson to continue to play well.

--Pass blocking. The Steelers love to blitz and show all kinds of different looks. I want to see our OL keep Cousins clean for the most part.

--Aldrick Robinson. He looked alright in the first game. I want to see more from him tonight.

--Reed/Thompson. Our offense can always use more playmakers and these 2 have a chance to provide that.

--Cousins. How can he handle the pressure the Steelers will bring?

Rambo and Amerson. These are (in my opinion) the two most important additions to last year's porous defense. Both showed promise last week. All we can ask for from these two is that they take steps forward each week during the preseason. If they continue to do that, by week one, though still green as grass, they'll be better than what we had in the defensive backfield last year.

Rambo and Amerson. These are (in my opinion) the two most important additions to last year's porous defense. Both showed promise last week. All we can ask for from these two is that they take steps forward each week during the preseason. If they continue to do that, by week one, though still green as grass, they'll be better than what we had in the defensive backfield last year.

Add Minnifield to that. Minnifield and Amerson to me, are our future starting duo. 

Simply put, everything. 

From having little to no interest in last Thursdays opener, I most assuredly have for this and the Bills game. So I'm looking at the full gambit, probably like yourself last week.

The Steelers know only one way. And that's to bring it. Regardless of starters or back-ups. This is a real good warm-up to see where we're at. 

Hail. 

Archived