Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: Eve Of Destruction (Republicans Have Reasons To Panic)

SkinsHokieFan

Centrists

Romney

Huntsman

Newt

Roemer

Perry 

Cain

far right as far as social

Bachman

Santorum

right as far as libertarian,not social

Paul

Johnson

Hell , Huntsman is farther right than Perry is

Huntsman was no where near as far right as Perry.  And Perry is not a centrist.  

The others are centrist, sort of.  None of them ran as centrist though, that's the point.  

Buddy Roemer... I thought he was an independent.  Was he on the GOP nominee ballot?

What I don't understand is that you just said you didn't like Romney or McCain, but that you are also a centrist.  How do you reconcile that?

Don't kid yourself.  McCain was not a centrist.  He was never a centrist.  He was, and always has been, strongly conservative.  His voting record is undeniable.

He was, however, a grownup.  In his dealings with his political opponents he remained civil and did not demonize.  That does not make him a "moderate."  It makes him a good, responsible conservative. 

And it makes him completely out of touch with the sentiments of the Tea Party GOP voting base.

both are big govt conservatives

I'd suggest you don't know Huntsman or Perry very well then

Roemner ran as a Rep for 7 months before giving up to go to the Reform party

Perry is the idiot who just reinstated voter id laws hours after the SC said he could, who just signed a bill banning abortion at 20 weeks, and I could be wrong on this, but is refusing to take federal government money for Obamacare out of spite.  He is a far right lunatic.

These are just few examples.  He's nothing close to the middle.  Nothing.

Perry is the idiot who just reinstated voter id laws hours after the SC said he could, who just signed a bill banning abortion at 20 weeks, and I could be wrong on this, but is refusing to take federal government money for Obamacare out of spite.  He is a far right lunatic.

These are just few examples.  He's nothing close to the middle.  Nothing.

are the other governors that signed voter ID laws far right lunatics? 

as far as abortion ya need to pull the cotton out of your ears, it in no way bans all abortions after 20 wks...and according to polling it is a very centrist position

he seems to have a lot of company  on the Obamacare medicaid expansion opt out(which is not about refusing federal money)...more far right lunatics?

ya have lost your center ....OOOOOOMMMMMMM   :D 

are the other governors that signed voter ID laws far right lunatics?

as far as abortion ya need to pull the cotton out of your ears, it in no way bans all abortions after 20 wks...and according to polling it is a very centrist position

he seems to have a lot of company on the Obamacare medicaid expansion opt out(which is not about refusing federal money)...more far right lunatics?

ya have lost your center ....OOOOOOMMMMMMM :D

Yes. And yes.

Somebody who thinks that altering election laws for the SOLE purpose of helping his Party by suppressing votes for the other Party, is an extremist.

And yes, anybody who thinks that it's a great idea for his citizens to send tax money to Washington, but lets filibuster them receiving the benefits from that tax money, for the SOLE reason that, if they receive said benefit, the other Party will get the credit, is an extremist.

The fact that the Republicans are full of people who put their Party above their citizens, and morality, does not make such positions moderate.

you sir have lost center ..........citizens and morality?

I never knew Dems were incapable of getting ID, though some of their choices is perhaps telling of a impairment ....who knows?

you sir have lost center ..........citizens and morality?

I never knew Dems were incapable of getting ID, though some of their choices is perhaps telling of a impairment ....who knows?

And anybody who defends such immorality? Claims to be a centrist.

You have to understand, being a centrist GOPer in Texas means you only go to two Klan rallies a month. 

;)

You have to understand, being a centrist GOPer in Texas means you only go to two Klan rallies a month. 

;)

The majority of Klan Rallies were ran by Democrats who have a large amount of buildings in West Virginia and Statues as well as parks in Tennessee named after them.

The majority of Klan Rallies were ran by Democrats who have a large amount of buildings in West Virginia and Statues as well as parks in Tennessee named after them.

Yes, they probably were. 60 years ago.

Then the Democrats stopped endorsing that, and decided that they didn't want segregationists in their party any more.

And the Republicans decided that catering to them was the key to winning the South. And they did. And still do. (Because it still works).

But you're right, before we were old enough to vote, things were different. It's not relevant, but it's true.

Well, talk used to be cheap.

Back when the Southern Strategy was first developed, the plan was to keep negrophobe whites voting Republican by talking about getting rid of the Voting Rights Act, but to not actually do it. (Because, if they ever actually got rid of it, they might lose that voting block.)

But it looks like they've finally decided that, if they want to keep that block loyal, they've had to actually deliver on the talk, after only 50 years or whatever.

At this rate, it'll likely be 20 years or so before they have to actually deliver on their promise to make it legal for businesses to discriminate, again.

Yeah, and then 40 years ago Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act and the policies of the parties with regards to minorities and the  geographic distribution of electoral votes slowly flipped. 

*Fifty years ago, time flies.

twa many of the things that do were you rank will take different positions, of which a person might be on the extreme, say they cancel out and call the person a ceterist.

Leiberman (on the extreme on many social issues and w/ respect to foreign policy) was not really a centerist.  He was an extremists that just didn't fit into the Republican or Democratic party.

On the topic of McCain, I think he is/was a just right of center.  The problem is that he didn't think he could win the Republican nomination, and it affected his voting record around the election time.

Here's an orginiation that ranks Senators and the President based on their votes/positions on different bills. 

http://voteview.com/sen107.htm

In most years, McCain is in the 70's or even higher or lower (that is at least 30 people rank to the right of him).  However, in the time running up the Presidential election he's in the top (or bottom) 5 depending on your view (109 and 108 Congress).

Compare that too Obama who as a Senator (jus the one set of data, but based on those votes) and as President has ranked somewhere around 20 (i.e. approximately 20 people are more liberal than him). 

Realistically, if over the course of his career, you look at the data, McCain is much closer to being a centerist than Obama.  The problem is the time running up to the election (including the primary season).

And that's the problem the Republican party has.  It wants to nominate these people that are pretty centerists, but it makes them behave differently than they have for their whole careers to actually get the chance.

And that just comes off poorly with the voters, I think.

As compared to Obama who has pretty much voted as a Senator as he ran as a candidate and then has govorned as President (with respect to the Senate left of center, but not extreme left).

I disagree with you saying he was a flop in the debates, and also that that is what doomed him.  He did well in the debates.  He was doomed because he wasn't "anti-obama" enough; instead, he tried to be a grown up.  That is cause for failure in the GOP primary these days.

Yeah when you're talking about Rush, Hannity and Levin hosting future GOP debates, people like him are doomed from the start. It really shows you they only have one-type-of-candidate in mind. And it wasn't him.

I agree Peter, they need to quit pushing centrist squishes that are unwilling to defend centrism.

****ing politicians that will do anything for a vote.

I guess that's one way to say it.  But the problem is the conservative media crushes those people, and they can't win.  Or at least, don't believe they can win.  

The better way to say it would be if all of the GOP stopped cowtowing to the most extreme elements of the party behind a microphone.

But Rick Perry is not a centrist.  Not even close.

No problem. The right will simply rig the system.

North Carolina Republicans Escalate Attack on Student Voting | The Nation

Hours after passing the country’s worst voter suppression law, North Carolina Republicans escalated their attempts to prevent students from participating in the political process.

• The GOP-controlled board of elections in Pasquotank County voted to disqualify Montravias King, a senior at historically black Elizabeth City State University, from running for city council, claiming King couldn’t use his student address to establish residency, even though he’s been registered to vote there since 2009. “The head of the county’s Republican Party said he plans to challenge the voter registrations of more students at the historically black university ahead of upcoming elections,” the AP reported.

• The GOP chair of the Forsyth County Board of Elections is moving to shut down an early voting site at historically black Winston-Salem State University because he claims students were offered extra credit in class for voting there. “He offered no proof such irregularities had occurred,” the Raleigh News and Observer noted.

• The GOP-controlled Watauga County Board of Elections in Boone, North Carolina, voted along party lines to close an early voting and general election polling place at Appalachian State University. Instead, the county limited early voting to one site in Boone and created the state’s third-largest voting precinct, with 9,300 voters at a precinct designed for 1,500, with only thirty-five parking places. It’s inaccessible by public transportation and over a mile from campus along a 45 mph road with no sidewalk. “I feel like the people (students) who really care might come all the way out here to vote,” said Ashley Blevins, a junior at Appalachian State, “but I know a lot of people who are like, ‘eh, it’s too far—I don’t think I’m going to walk that far,’ because they don’t really have another way of getting here.”

Centrists

Romney

Huntsman

Newt

Roemer

Perry 

Cain

far right as far as social

Bachman

Santorum

right as far as libertarian,not social

Paul

Johnson

Hell , Huntsman is farther right than Perry is

Get the **** outa here.

None of those people are remotely close to being centrist. Not by the slightest shade of grey.

My boss is a die hard republican, member of the free mason's, active in boy scouts and goes to church, etc etc etc.  He hates guys like Christie because they are "liberal" but likes guys like Rand Paul who stick with their old ways.  I think the future of Republicans really is relying on how "progressive" they become.  Christie is a much more liberal thinker than the typical Republicans, and it's his views on Government emergency assistance, as well as gay/lesbian rights that stand out.

I think if the Republican viewpoint does not shift to a more progressive/liberal stance on some of those social movement topics, then the party is going to be hurting for a while.  At least until the old school mind is gone.  I think those folks who believe in the old ways are hurting those who are fiscally conservative but don't want to be associated with the social viewpoints of the republican party today.

Two years before their elections, they were.

Or at least, were perceived to be. McCain's record of voting the Republican line 92% of the time does kinda imply that perhaps the "maverick" label might have been inappropriate. Or maybe that's as independent as Republicans are allowed to get, now days.

When the election rolled around? Not a remote chance.

Major point. Let me rephrase that---MAJOR POINT.

And yet there's plenty of truth in twa's comment, too, certainly. Truf is tuff stuffs.

Maybe there's a good argument to be made that this whole operation (our USA culture) has jumped the shark. :P It would hit high on the irony meter if an iconic image of absurdity in excess from a tv sitcom already crafted to be an idealized fun fantasy of "average American life in the 50's" became a solid metaphor for the culture that spawned it. But I liked that show.  :lol:

Hunterx,

It definitely doesn't appeal to the younger generations who, while they will eventually grow older, will nearly always have been exposed to more socially liberal ideals. 

The truth is there for the GOP. They have to adapt or die. 

Maybe there's a good argument to be made that this whole operation (our USA culture) has jumped the shark. 

But why does it only happen to one party (going to the extreme)? The Dems don't go out and find/nominate moderates and force them to be extra liberal. Why does the GOP take their "centrists and/or moderates" and force  them into being extra conservative to win the nomination?

Archived