Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Preseason Games

TheDiplomat

Thread for discussing all Preseason Games. 

Catching the Eagles/Panthers Game and have a couple of thoughts thus far,

1. Foles was looking good until that redzone pick. There was a forgone conclusion that Vick would win the competition, but I wouldn't dismiss Foles just yet. He's been patient this first drive, and hitting the right guys.

2. Cary Williams was stressing the importance of being a tougher team, then gets body slammed by Steve Smith on the first drive. Classic.

3. I can see how frustrating the read option is going to be to defend. We only really saw it last year vs. Seattle (Don't remember Cam & Carolina running it too often) Really does freeze the entire LB/DE core.

Looks like Norv is working his magic with Weeden so far...Cleveland might surprise this year.

Norv, for all of his faults, is one hell of a good OC and QB guru.  There's a reason he was the person who introduced Troy Aikman at his HOF induction.  

I agree, he's going to make a huge difference for the Browns. Weeden is nowhere near as bad as he looked last year.  And Norv also has Trent Richardson to play with.  Generally, give Norv a stud RB and an ok QB, good things happen. 

Unless he's the HC, in which case the team is destined to decline and lose every year.  He's the perfect example of the Peter Principle.: People will rise to their level of incompetence.  He's a GREAT OC, and a HORRIBLE HC. 

Who else but Lorenzo Alexander causing a fumble on a PR. Loved dude while he was here. Glad he's getting a shot to start out in AZ

We couldn't afford him and he knew it, but he tried to swing it as if the organization was stiffing him. Lorenzo knew the league screwed out cap, but good for him. I like seeing Romo sits to pee over throwing his receivers.

Its mind blowing how much Romo sits to pee loves to yell at his teammates.  Every time somebody messes up.  Also nice to see the 3 first half turnovers from dallas..

They deserve it today.

Williams doesn't pull up short on that route ... That's an easy 6.

Dunbar doesn't fumble that's at least 3 ....

Dez doesn't fumble that's at least 3 ....

I'd be ripping them a new one as well. Could be coaching them up, could be just talking to them. We don't really know what he is saying. But I doubt guys like Brady, Manning etc. don't get on the young guys when they make a mistake.

Special Teams Sucks again ... Offensive line sucks again ... Front 4 could be scary good ... Dez is going to be a top 5 Receiver

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Additional Thought: Drew Stanton really really stinks.

Throw in, Kyle Orton is horrible. I hate seeing articles about him being the top backup in the NFL ... lmao.

I'm excited about our defense this year, we look pretty fast. Get Spencer, Ratliff, Mo back out there. Pretty excited for that.

But we find ways to kill ourselves again ... A fumble on a punt after a 3 and out?!? A fumble when you don't get touched?!? ONLY IN DALLAS!!!

We'll be in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range again. Nothing more, nothing less.

Throw in, Kyle Orton is horrible. I hate seeing articles about him being the top backup in the NFL ... lmao.

I'm excited about our defense this year, we look pretty fast. Get Spencer, Ratliff, Mo back out there. Pretty excited for that.

But we find ways to kill ourselves again ... A fumble on a punt after a 3 and out?!? A fumble when you don't get touched?!? ONLY IN DALLAS!!!

We'll be in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range again. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will say again that Stanton really stinks.

Orton just through a FANTASTIC pick.

I actually would have thought Orton would be a good pickup as a backup QB. I might be wrong about that.

5 take-aways for the Cards in the 1st half. That's not a really good trend for the boys in teel pants.

Welker with two "dives" that we got on Hankerson's case for. One for a first, one for a TD.

Welker dived for the first down without slowing down. Hankerson slowed down and went side ways, and didn't fight for the first down. I bet Welker would have fought for that first down. Hankerson showed no awareness for the first down.

Welker dived for the first down without slowing down. Hankerson slowed down and went side ways, and didn't fight for the first down. I bet Welker would have fought for that first down. Hankerson showed no awareness for the first down.

Welker dove under two players, Hank ducked his head and went into three. The reason Hank slowed down is because he had to turn 90 degrees and get upfield, Welker was already running upfield.

Seriously, the criticisms this guy gets are blown way out of proportion.

As for the game, the Seahags have a KO return TD and a fumble return TD. Now their fans are acting like their normal selves again...

Manning, 11-18, 165 yards 1 td, no int.

In 1 3/4 quarters.

It always shocks me, the great ones have what looks like a ho-hum half, then you look at the stats, and you're like, "damn. Really?"

The broncos ST looked bad, and they bought a bad break on the fumble in the end zone.

Wilson looked good.

Game is not indicative of the score.

EJ Manuel needs a knee scope? Hope he's alright for week 1. Kid was winning the job in Buffalo.

Gabbert actually looked good yesterday.

Gino Smith is giving the job to Sanchez with because of a lil ankle boo-boo? Lost some respect points for the kid.

Ryan Mallett still has a hand cannon.

He threw 1 of the best throws of the weekend to Zach Studsfield sp?

Earlier in the game Brady threw a freakin laser to the same guy IIRC

4. McCoy still looks the same. Sick cuts. 

5. Their up tempo offense will be trouble for teams/players out of shape and/or injured

They are no more uptempo than the Bills. So Week 3 preseason should be a good test for Week 1 real season.

Week 1:   85 plays/34:11 TOP          86 plays/28:58  TOP  

Week 2:   78 plays/29:05 TOP          69 plays/30:45  TOP

Bills:   163 plays/1:03:16 TOP       155 plays/59:43  TOP   Eagles

Welker dove under two players, Hank ducked his head and went into three. The reason Hank slowed down is because he had to turn 90 degrees and get upfield, Welker was already running upfield.

Seriously, the criticisms this guy gets are blown way out of proportion.

As for the game, the Seahags have a KO return TD and a fumble return TD. Now their fans are acting like their normal selves again...

Hitman, I usually love your posts, but it's being overblown partly because of what you're doing here. :)

I agree with you that Hank gets a lot of undue criticism. In my opinion, any criticism he receives should be qualified with how he's generally a good WR. Which is what I do everytime I criticize him myself. 

Still, Hankerson PLAYS A BIT SOFT FOR HIS SIZE. Welker is like half of Hank's size. For you to bring it up without mentioning that is a big part of the problem. Even still, as small as Welker is in comparison to Hank, thus far in their careers Welker plays a LOT harder and is more willing to take a hit. I can prove this just by posting some highlight reels, but I think it's pretty much common sense. 

I mean, it's kind of ridiculous. After the recent preseason game, I mentioned Hank's softness on that one play and then how he played great the rest of the way, and I got into a bitter argument with SWFLskins while he pretty much ignored the fact that I said Hank was awesome the rest of the way! All because I said Hank was soft on that one play! And, yes, it was obvious he was going down BEFORE anyone touched him whether or not there were a hundred guys around him. Who is blowing what out of proportion when we're not allowed to constructively criticize our own players?

I mean, let's be honest, I'm considered a massive homer around these parts because rampant negativity is somehow considered "realism" these days and, yet, somehow when it comes to Hank I'm "nitpicking and being negative" even when I state over and over again that I think he's a good WR but would become elite if he just fixes that aspect of his game, lol.

Even Mike Shanahan called him out on his mental toughness in a presser and Mike never does that! Yeesh.     

I think part of the "over-blowing" here is on the part of some of us who hate to see him criticized at all. That's not right. Especially knowing just how elite Hankerson can become if he plays with just a little bit more aggression... something I was so incredibly happy to see him do after that one play in which Mike also happened to say something to him coming off the sideline. I guess that was just a coincidence. ;) 

Now go on with posting your usual posts that I almost never disagree with, lol. :) 

Manning, 11-18, 165 yards 1 td, no int.

In 1 3/4 quarters.

It always shocks me, the great ones have what looks like a ho-hum half, then you look at the stats, and you're like, "damn. Really?"

The broncos ST looked bad, and they bought a bad break on the fumble in the end zone.

Wilson looked good.

Game is not indicative of the score.

Hopefully their ST looked bad because we got their coach and he was just so awesome they don't know what to do anymore.  B)

Archived