Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Steelers: 4 Keys To The Game

I have a thought about the preseason. Why not make it 17 games and go to 3 preseason games? I have been listening to a lot of current and ex-coaches and GMs and I can tell you from thier comments the preseason is extremely important to eliminate 2 preseason games. But even they think 4 games it too much. The 1st and 4th games are really none value added forf the fan or the veterans. It's all for the coaches and the guys trying to make a team.

In my mind, the compromise is make it 3 games. A 17 game season would not increase the season, you just start the season a week earlier. Everything else stays the same. I also think this would have a great side benifit. I may be wrong but I believe the reliance on tie breakers would go down greatly with the odd number of games played. Just a thought.

Hi there. :)

If you new guys can't go & read, understand, & comply with the forum rules like you said you did when you registered your free account here, then you're going to find yourselves Googling up a new place to to go hang out at.

here fellow fans take a look this may help you ;)

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.

Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours

hail tk thank you  for little reminder post it might help to keep things civil, 

you have noticed that we all have  had great discussions  here so far but there were many moments on the old format with some people .we can explain it in detail but pm-ing us would be a better way.

hail skinsman, thanks for  posting that ,it may also help, we don't need to go back to that playground mess on the old format.

Here's another thing---we have excellent tools for noting duplicate accounts. The following is an excerpt from rule #1 on our rules page

1. Each visitor may own a single registered account.

Duplicate accounts are prohibited, and the Staff employs security measures to enforce this policy. Duplicate accounts may immediately be closed (i.e., banned). Do not create additional registered accounts to bypass an issued ban absent compelling circumstances. Any attempt to circumvent any moderating action by registering a secondary account may result in a permanent banishment of all related accounts.

Noted and I replaced my original comment - Thanks

Thank you. No matter what flew where folks posted before, ES prides itself on achieving and maintaining higher standards than the typical site and has since Day One--all while having the kind of engagement and fun an extreme Redskins fan would want---which is why the Redskins made us their official message board.

We hope many of you posters from this "new" source will be able to stick around. Learn what this place can be like (and try posting in the stadium too--that's been our main Redskins football forum  :)), and if you like it the way most folks do, you can help other arrivals get the feel.  :)

Here's another thing---we have excellent tools for noting duplicate accounts. The following is an excerpt from rule #1 on our rules page

1. Each visitor may own a single registered account.

Duplicate accounts are prohibited, and the Staff employs security measures to enforce this policy. Duplicate accounts may immediately be closed (i.e., banned). Do not create additional registered accounts to bypass an issued ban absent compelling circumstances. Any attempt to circumvent any moderating action by registering a secondary account may result in a permanent banishment of all related accounts.

Hail jumbo , yeah we had that problem  on the old format ,,glad that won't tolerated

This is amazing experience being a fan of such a great team and being able to post, have dialogue about FOOTBALL without things getting personal and insulting. Glad Redskins.com turned the reins over to Extreme . Now to get back to the Steelers game and everything Redskins.

This is amazing experience being a fan of such a great team and being able to post, have dialogue about FOOTBALL without things getting personal and insulting. Glad Redskins.com turned the reins over to Extreme . Now to get back to the Steelers game and everything Redskins.

amen!!!! 

Hail to the Redskins!!!

In my mind, the compromise is make it 3 games. A 17 game season would not increase the season, you just start the season a week earlier. Everything else stays the same. I also think this would have a great side benifit. I may be wrong but I believe the reliance on tie breakers would go down greatly with the odd number of games played. Just a thought.

This is certainly a better approach than what we have now.

The other compromise I had was to have two preseason games for the rookies, FAs, and players that need to make the roster. They'll need the game like experience to be properly evaluated. Teams can always then conduct controlled scrimmages with other teams at the practice facilites for the starters. Fans would be willing to pay and watch. However, I know that this is not realistic financially since most won't buy tickets to preseason games to watch potential players; most fans just want to see the starters out there.

I thought I posted this final thought about last years Pittsburg game but I didn't. Here it is:

@ hawk - Back to the Steelers game last year. I think in the end we agree, maybe violently agreeing, but agreeing none the less :) . I definitely agree Pittsburg put the most pressure on our Offensive line. Their 3-4 is the most mature and they play it better and more consistent than anyone. But I would add that even with thier added pressure we still had a chance to win if we don't have the drops. 

I realize some of the drops came on drives that we still scored. But remember that takes time off the clock. Also, it's a game of momentum. With each drop their D got a little more confidence and our guys seemed to tighten up. To sum it up, while Pits D was the most effective, we still had a real chance to win had we held on to the ball. 

I thought I posted this final thought about last years Pittsburg game but I didn't. Here it is:

I realize some of the drops came on drives that we still scored. But remember that takes time off the clock. Also, it's a game of momentum. With each drop their D got a little more confidence and our guys seemed to tighten up. To sum it up, while Pits D was the most effective, we still had a real chance to win had we held on to the ball. 

I agree completely with that summation :)

After watching L'zo play last night, I have to admit he is still a train wreck on special teams. He also stood out in how crafty he is at alluding blocking flying down the field. He did play linebacker as well but I didn't see where he is used any differently than when he was here. I'm sure if we had the cap space that we'd match his offer even though 3 million a season is a big chunk for a guy who only starts on special teams. It's the impact he has on a team along with his hard work makes him worth it.

From ESPN...

"1.Its hard to imagine Redskins coach Mike Shanahan ignoring a recommendation from Dr. James Andrews to sit Robert Griffin III until after the Week 5 bye, as a report from Philadelphia TV and radio reporter Howard Eskin suggested. Eskin tweeted Saturday that sources told him Shanahan would play Griffin in Week 1 despite Andrews' recommendation. A high-ranking team official had told ESPN earlier in the week that they're still not sure if Griffin will play in the opener. So their minds are not yet made up about his return. Multiple Redskins sources, including a high-ranking team official, denied that Andrews had recommended Griffin sit out the first four games and return after the Week 5 bye."

Personally, I think this is another instance of sloppy reporting for the sake of creating drama that doesn't exist regarding RG3. What do others think here about this report? I ask the question: If this is true about Andrews then why was he medically cleared to participate in TC at all? Why did he mention he was "Superhuman"?

I guess it could be possible for Andrews to suggest this if he consider the TC as part of the rehabilitation process where the rest time before playing in a real game is based to safe healing timeline. I'd be okay with this recommendation if it were true and I think most others would to.

eagles are just trolling. Trying to keep the distraction going. They think it will divide the locker room. But IMO it will only galvanize them. It gives MS an "us against the world" montra. I have been killing them on their SB Nation thread. Only problem is they can't say anything without using a bunch of profanity and name calling.

ALso, that eskine dude has a history of just plain making stuff up.

Here is what I guess actually happened if anything. Right after the surgery, Dr. Andrews said - "After the bye would be a good target but we will see how he responds and recovers, Everyone is different."     There is no way he would make a definitive proclamation of - He must sit out till.....  He would provide a safe range then leave it up to nature.

From ESPN...

"1.Its hard to imagine Redskins coach Mike Shanahan ignoring a recommendation from Dr. James Andrews to sit Robert Griffin III until after the Week 5 bye, as a report from Philadelphia TV and radio reporter Howard Eskin suggested. Eskin tweeted Saturday that sources told him Shanahan would play Griffin in Week 1 despite Andrews' recommendation. A high-ranking team official had told ESPN earlier in the week that they're still not sure if Griffin will play in the opener. So their minds are not yet made up about his return. Multiple Redskins sources, including a high-ranking team official, denied that Andrews had recommended Griffin sit out the first four games and return after the Week 5 bye."

Personally, I think this is another instance of sloppy reporting for the sake of creating drama that doesn't exist regarding RG3. What do others think here about this report? I ask the question: If this is true about Andrews then why was he medically cleared to participate in TC at all? Why did he mention he was "Superhuman"?

I guess it could be possible for Andrews to suggest this if he consider the TC as part of the rehabilitation process where the rest time before playing in a real game is based to safe healing timeline. I'd be okay with this recommendation if it were true and I think most others would to.

Given the source of the quote(from Philly) it doesn't surprise me one bit that the fanbase would fabricate a story in order to distract and hopefully undermine the Redskin coaches and players. It would be like a Washington 980am fabricating a story saying ''Federal law enforcement officials have uncovered another dog fighting ring that was funded by Mike Vick''. It's purpose is to distract and I don't believe it one bit, esp. with all the fallout from the Seattle game....geez louise

Until I hear it from Dr. Andrews himself, I do not believe anything posted about RG3's health and or return to action date. Three things must happen: 1. RG3 must FEEL ready to play in games 2. Dr. Andrews must CLEAR him to play in games 3. Coach Shanny must ALLOW him to play in games. We have over 3 weeks until opening day, and I do not think that the good doctor is willing to say Yes or No just yet. IMO the doctor will check RG3's knee after practice on Thursday the Sept 5th and then clear or not clear RG3 for game duty. Until then everyone is just guesting, IMO this is what Coach Shanny wants right up until game time! Keep Philly guesting who will start at QB. Until then we still have a lot of things to clear up and the next steps will be taken Monday night. I hope to see if either of new RB's, TE, CB or Safety can show more. Is Orakpo going to play? Can we show more of a pass rush, can a rookie WR have a break out game, how about a kick / punt returner showing up with a big game, Is Pat White really a NFL QB who can replace Grossman, Can Cousins light up the score board, are the starting WR's in sic with Cousins, and who will start at RT. Too many pressing things to watch for me to be concerned about RG3 starting in 3 weeks or not (I will be concerned with that of Sept 5th -Sept 9th). Until then, it is a great time to be a Redskins fan. ENJOY!

Watched the 2nd qrt. of the Titans game intent to single out Amerson but upon doing that I started paying attention to Pashos at right tackle. My gosh, that guy is huge but run blocking he looks like the best days of his legs are behind him. Polumbus better beat out that guy for the starting job.

Let me tell you Amerson was out there laying some wood on the Titans, very physical.

Looking forward to Monday Night Football!!

I'm not sure if anyone else is watching the Indy/G-men game but Luck has thrown some incredibly accurate passes but then threw a baffling careless pass that hit the hands of the defender with Wayne nowhere near-by but the defender tips the ball upward right back to Wayne for a touch down. Maybe there is more to the the word Luck than it just being his surname. However, overall he looks sharp and even with the G-men getting pressure he is doing a nice job of eluding it.

Watched the 2nd qrt. of the Titans game intent to single out Amerson but upon doing that I started paying attention to Pashos at right tackle. My gosh, that guy is huge but run blocking he looks like the best days of his legs are behind him. Polumbus better beat out that guy for the starting job. Let me tell you Amerson was out there laying some wood on the Titans, very physical. Looking forward to Monday Night Football!!

I agree re: Amerson. He is very physical. I would love to see him replace Hall at CB. Many people disagree (accept the coaches), but Josh Wilson had a better season than he has been given credit for by the fans. For example, many people blamed him for the Cruz play. But that was Medieu Williams fault all the way. JW had him at the line. MW is supposed to provide deep help but he was way too far to the other side and way too close to the line of scrimmage. JW released him then saw MW out of position and tried to catch him but Cruz is just too fast.

I am watching the game. Luck is a very good passer but the pattern I see is that he is just not consistent enough. Last year, their D kept them in the games he tried to throw away early. Also, when he misses, he misses really bad.

The Giants are moving. Nice drive for them here. Good mix of run and use of the RB out of the backfield. Could not finish the deal though.

well the steelers game will at the very least give us a gauge on how much we progressed and how much needs to be done.

i agree we were in that game last year despite all the spuddering  a bit on offense. that was also before hasellet made the midseason coverage adjustments..

I think the starters will all make an appearance in this game probably the whole 1st qrt., then put the young guys, 2nd & 3rd stringers out there. I liked how the coaches put the young secondary out there for extended snaps in the 1st half because the more tape we have on them, good or bad, then you've got teaching tools for the next week. There probably isn't a better tool for Rambo than CJ juking him on that run. Adversity is a better teacher than having all success, can't have those young guys too successful too early so they don't think the NFL is easy. My opinion only here.

I think the starters will all make an appearance in this game probably the whole 1st qrt., then put the young guys, 2nd & 3rd stringers out there. I liked how the coaches put the young secondary out there for extended snaps in the 1st half because the more tape we have on them, good or bad, then you've got teaching tools for the next week. There probably isn't a better tool for Rambo than CJ juking him on that run. Adversity is a better teacher than having all success, can't have those young guys too successful too early so they don't think the NFL is easy. My opinion only here.

Shanahan stated in a press conference that Cousins would play the whole half and Grossman/White would share the second half. I wouldn't expect AM to play the whole half so I'll predict AM/Helu will share the load for the first half with Royster handling the bulk of the 3rd Quarter. However, Shanahan could flip it and have AM/Royster this game and Helu jumping to the 3rd Quarter. My money on Rambo starting again with Gomes since Meriwether is still coming along slowly. It will be interesting to find who starts on the CB spots but I expect it will be Hall/Wilson and then Amerson/Minnifield. Compton will probably get most if not all the start with TW nursing the sprained wrist. Hopefully LeRibeus will show some improvement but it is a moot point now since Lich' has the starting spot at left guard locked down. I do want to see how Pashos performs but it's expected he'll need time coming around with over a year out and blocking in an unfamiliar zone scheme. I really hope later in the season he can relieve Polumbus in pass blocking situations even if he can't supplant him.

Seems as though there are still a lot of players getting injured in the preseason. Hope the Skins stay healthy.

Hey Dave- good to see you in here.  I'm wondering if tc injuries are attributed to players having to prove their worth to coaches thus making them throw their bodies around in a more careless way.

Archived