Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Steelers: 4 Keys To The Game

I agree with most you stated about preseason Polo. As a season ticket holder of club seats, few can be as frustrated as myself about having to pay the same 300 dollar per ticket for a preseason game as a regular season ticket game. For the upcoming Pittsburgh game, I had to resort to giving them away to a family member because I couldn't even sell those tickets at regular seating prices. However, I like the fact it gives me the feel that football has returned and I do actually enjoy watching rookies and free agents in game like situations fighting for a spot in these games. However, we lost Thomas for the season last week thanks to one of these games. So is it really worth the risks?

I personally don't feel any sure starter needs to play in these games. We discussed this in the past and you can get these starters ready instead with scrimmages. It is about more money for the owners no doubt. I'm not sure I agree removing all preseason games but I think there should only be two and they should only be for any player fighting for a spot on the roster. I enjoy watching players fighting for roster spots in games but I know most viewers want their starters in the game before they'll watch which therein is the dilemma where greedy owners won't eliminate them and most viewers won't watch them unless their starters are on the field.

A brief intrusion thanks to a good opening (in a good thread)  :):

People new to ES will find that this board is moderated with little tolerance for gratuitous abusive conduct. Tantrums, flaming, trolling, is quickly handled. Reading, understanding, and following the rules on ES is absolutely paramount to retaining membership. You vets can help the newbies, as we always encourage.  B)

Thanks for the word Jumbo. Please do keep a tight watch on this. Nevr can tell when one of the past combatants will re-enter this website and start fishing for a fight.

Thanks for the word Jumbo. Please do keep a tight watch on this. Never can tell when one of the past combatants will re-enter this website and start fishing for a fight.

No sweat, Sven (old sauna saying in Alaska :P).

And ES has always welcomed and openly solicited the POLITE help of INFORMED members to help "steer" new (or old lol) folks when they see a transgression. And remember, use the report feature under the quote tab if a post seems to be an issue. We ask people try to make sure they know the rules as best they can so false reports are minimized. And such help is mucho appreciated. This is all part of what makes ES a very happy hunting ground (most of the time  :wacko:) for so many Redskins fans, and for many other fans/visitors too.

2 preseason games would be enough, I agree. But it is good television to watch and record a preseason game, then analyze players thru the week. Fans buy tickets, fans buy product advertised on tv, that is why the owners want preseason games...to make money. It's a business and they try to maximize their investment, if they lost money on preseason games I believe they would change the format.

The NFL commissioner was embarrassed by the quality of play in past PBs....IMO those games looked more like a powder puff or flag ftbl game..the same can be said for the quality of the preseason games. After a few series the starters fade from the scene having hardly broken a sweat to turn the game over to bottom of the barrel players many you will never see again. IMO the NFL has to hold these preseason games to the same standards and expectation the commissioner stated about the PB..in fact he said, he was willing to end the PB unless the quality of the game improved...I don't see any reason to not to expect these preseason games properly represent the NFL like his demands for improvement to the PB. Why put an inferior product on the field in front of fans.

As far as being simply glad to see ftbl return, I would offer this..the entire season now extends into the middle of February...depending how you measure when the seseason begins...the draft, OTAs, TC, the preseason or the regular and play off schedule..thats Jul to Feb..across two years. If the NFL decided to drop two preseason games..and add those games to the regular season...that would extend the NFL into March...the NFL is actually reaching a saturation point with games on Sunday, Monday, Thurs and later in the season on Wed and Sat.....the key is quality control but certainly if you cant get your ftbl fix spread over parts of two years...then maybe you need to rethink your priorities...all I am saying is....IMO the NFL is risking running this game into the ground purely for short term concerns of money.

No sweat, Sven (old sauna saying in Alaska :P).

And ES has always welcomed and openly solicited the POLITE help of INFORMED members to help "steer" new (or old lol) folks when they see a transgression. And remember, use the report feature under the quote tab if a post seems to be an issue. We ask people try to make sure they know the rules as best they can so false reports are minimized. And such help is mucho appreciated. This is all part of what makes ES a very happy hunting ground (most of the time  :wacko:) for so many Redskins fans, and for many other fans/visitors too.

thank you too Jumbo ,we don't mind you or any of the other moderators coming on any of our discussions..

we are just so glad that there is a watchful eye ,you just don't realize the problems we had under the old format.

@ 28 - Bruce was referring to the fact that they had to move some money into next year or even a few years out to keep players they needed. For example, say someone had an $8M salary/yr that was all cap hit with a total of 3 years on thier contract. They can restructure to give them $2M this year with a $6M signing bonus. The cap hit this year is now only $4M ($2M salary plus 1/3 of the signing bonus) but then it goes to $10M the next two years fro the rest of the signing bonus. So while you saved $4M this year you just added $2M to each of the next two years. Even if they release the person that $2M/yr stays.

My what a diatribe....I guess the only opinions that count are yours...you have not changed one bit..arrogant and self aggrandizing and really, really really long winded. I welcome this new oversight on this site...it has had a very beneficial affect in toning down the rhetoric which I wholeheartedly support. All I ever asked was to be able to post my views unvarnished by attacks from those that wanted to dominate this site with a narrow and self absorbing views....my view on this subject did not attack anyone..they reflect facts and common views held by many others..if they don't fit 4skins views then why is he so concerned and why the abuse in his reply? When he warned the staff of posters like myself, he should have also included himself. I am not going to be baited into a rancorous and adversarial reply,..that was his modus operandi in the past and then he would claim he was the injured party..its sad this site can be so easily corrupted...

hail JD, great points regarding NFL's popularity. It is #1 sport by far & what makes it great is every team can make a run at playoffs irregardless of last yr, & the opportunity to see more games on different days of week is nothing but a bonus. was impressed w/ B Rambo's speed on play C Johnson juked him on. He actually ran stride for stride w/ NFL's fastest man. Impressive.

@ 28 - Bruce was referring to the fact that they had to move some money into next year or even a few years out to keep players they needed. For example, say someone had an $8M salary/yr that was all cap hit with a total of 3 years on thier contract. They can restructure to give them $2M this year with a $6M signing bonus. The cap hit this year is now only $4M ($2M salary plus 1/3 of the signing bonus) but then it goes to $10M the next two years fro the rest of the signing bonus. So while you saved $4M this year you just added $2M to each of the next two years. Even if they release the person that $2M/yr stays.

Thanks 10 this helps! So do you know about where we stand for next year with cap space? Will we be able to spend $$$ on FA next year?

Hi there. :)

If you new guys can't go & read, understand, & comply with the forum rules like you said you did when you registered your free account here, then you're going to find yourselves Googling up a new place to to go hang out at.

@ 28 - It's hard to tell about next year. For one, I am pretty certain we are not done restructuring. As of Feb 2013 we projected $44M available. However, a net of at least $10M has been pushed forward from this year to next. Lets say we need to push another $4M to keep the best 53. Also making it a bit murky is the list of Free Agents for next year, some of which are critical players:

2014 Free Agents: Brian Orakpo, Fred Davis, London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Joshua Morgan and Brandon Meriwether. Others penciled-in as free agents are Santana Moss, Reed Doughty, Rob Jackson, and Chris Baker.

Let's say we need $15M to keep our FAs. That brings us down to approximately $15M. One good thing about no 1st rd pick is we really only need about $1.5M to $2M or so for rookies. This brings us to about $13M. There are all very gross guestimates. I would call the error band as +/-$5M or maybe more.

Agian, there is so much yet to happen that could impact the cap, including what the final cap number turns out to be. Maybe someone else has a better guess?

here fellow fans take a look this may help you ;)

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.
Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours

My what a diatribe....I guess the only opinions that count are yours...you have not changed one bit..arrogant and self aggrandizing and really, really really long winded. I welcome this new oversight on this site...it has had a very beneficial affect in toning down the rhetoric which I wholeheartedly support. All I ever asked was to be able to post my views unvarnished by attacks from those that wanted to dominate this site with a narrow and self absorbing views....my view on this subject did not attack anyone..they reflect facts and common views held by many others..if they don't fit 4skins views then why is he so concerned and why the abuse in his reply? When he warned the staff of posters like myself, he should have also included himself. I am not going to be baited into a rancorous and adversarial reply,..that was his modus operandi in the past and then he would claim he was the injured party..its sad this site can be so easily corrupted...

polo- for the betterment of this site we would appreciate you read the guidelines before you're reported.FYI...http://es.redskins.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

hail JD, great points regarding NFL's popularity. It is #1 sport by far & what makes it great is every team can make a run at playoffs irregardless of last yr, & the opportunity to see more games on different days of week is nothing but a bonus. was impressed w/ B Rambo's speed on play C Johnson juked him on. He actually ran stride for stride w/ NFL's fastest man. Impressive.

Hail rahway, you hit on an important point about that one play; there was many positives that came from it. I was really impressed with how fast his persuit was before he ran too wide. Sure the kid got schooled on the cut. However once he learns to hit the angles better his pursuit will be flat out scary . I was even more impressed with his reaction after the cut was made by C2K since it is about as athletic as you can expect from even the best safeties in this league. Rambo has talent and we picked him up for incredible value. Everything I read and see from him so far shows he should had been at worst a 3rd round pick. 

Polo with all due respect ,the game has not changed as much as it has evolved,it is a year round business .but preseason hasn't changed  at all .

its always been vanilla ,gibbs was so vanilla  in preseason it was transparent.  the pro bowl had to be changed ,that game got to be meaningless ,it could have eliminated altogether then what ?

as for as the game stretching over 2 years baseball, basketball ,even hockey has gotten longer there used to be breaks between them now they overlap  with no breaks .

it does sound like your stuck in the past  it isn't going to go back to the way it was ,again the game hasn't changed  as much as it has evolved

here fellow fans take a look this may help you ;)

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.

Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours

Well done 28, I just returned from reading the guidelines myself to be informed on the ettiquette of this site.

Then you are the first corruption we'll move along. There can be as many or as few permanent bans as we need to do. We won't have the time to molly-coddle folks used to flaming and trolling (even if they call it "discussing") in their previous locale. If you post in this forum, and you don't follow our rules (better find, learn, and follow the rules) you are simply going to be gone. We have not the time, personnel, or interest to do otherwise.  :)

The above contains violations of rule 5, 12, and 18 , just for the record.

jdhawk4skins

This is just informative per your post in reply to banned dude,--in this case it's no big, but you'll want to watch out for "personalizing" things too on ES even if there's history elsewhere. I really recommend people read rule 5 carefully in particular when they're new here, but do read the entire rules page and visit the stadium forum where you can a better idea of how it's done on ES. 

jdhawk4skins

This is just informative per your post in reply to banned dude,--in this case it's no big, but you'll want to watch out for "personalizing" things too on ES even if there's history elsewhere. I really recommend people read rule 5 carefully in particular when they're new here, but do read the entire rules page and visit the stadium forum where you can a better idea of how it's done on ES. 

Noted and I replaced my original comment - Thanks

Archived