Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: Redskins Sign Lb Quan Sturdivant

TK

August 15, 2013

For Immediate Release

REDSKINS SIGN LB QUAN STURDIVANT

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent linebacker Quan Sturdivant. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Yesterday, the team released wide receiver Devery Henderson.

Sturdivant (6-1, 241) was originally drafted by the Arizona Cardinals in the sixth round (171st overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He spent the 2011 season on the Cardinals’ practice squad and signed to a Reserve/Futures contract with the team on Jan. 3, 2012. He was released by the Cardinals on Aug. 31, 2012, before signing to the Kansas City Chiefs’ practice squad on Nov. 29, 2012.

Sturdivant played collegiately at North Carolina, where he started 38 of the 46 games in which he appeared for the Tar Heels from 2007-10. During his collegiate career, he was credited with 309 career tackles (192 solos), 27.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks, two fumbles forced and three fumbles recovered.

Sturdivant, 24, attended West Stanly H.S. in Oakboro, N.C., where he played quarterback and strong safety and earned Rocky River Conference Offensive Player of the Year honors as a senior. He was born on Dec. 5, 1988.

I wonder if this mean someone isn't showing well at back-up ILB?

Maybe Muckelroy/Kehl are in trouble?

I hope this doesn't spell the end for Will Compton, I'm rooting for that dude.

I think Will Compton can play.

Sturdivant's ceiling >>>> Muckelroy's ceiling

That said... he has yet to show it on an NFL field.  But he's a physical freak.  He has discipline issues.  Playing with Bruce Carter on one side and Robert Quinn on the other, with Marvin Austin in front of you in college can give you the opporunity to mask and create bad habits.

If he can contribute on teams I'd keep him over Muckelroy.  That'll give us a year to groom him. 

Unfortunately we can't put him on the PS because he had a year with AZ and a year with KC. :(

We'll see how he can play.  His back is against the wall right now.

If I recollect, both Sturdivant and Carter were a pretty good combo.  

tweets about Quan from Paul Conner,

Thats awesome. I liked LB Quan Sturdivant coming out of college. Hopefully, he has enough time to show what he can do

My draft profile on Q.Sturdivant: "Great against run. Tackling machine. Not a textbook tackler but get his man down.

His aggressiveness will take him out of position on play action passes. Has the athletic ability to cover. Great straight line speed

Has a few balance issues when he needs to change direction. Had him graded as a late 4th. Drafted in the 6th. Wonder why AZ/KC didnt work

From NFL.com.....

Some sites had him rated as a 3-4 round prospect.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/quan-sturdivant?id=2495235#

Grade

Overview

Sturdivant's draft stock dipped after missing five games this past season with a hamstring injury, but he is athletic enough to eventually become a starter at the next level. He is a smart football player that flows to the ball and shows a good closing burst. He gets in good position and shows the ability to anticipate routes in zone coverage, and he maintains speed in transition which makes him effective in man. He lacks the necessary bulk and strength to take on blockers and can is engulfed in phone booth situations too often. Sturdivant is likely a third round pick.

Analysis

Strengths

Sturdivant is a rangy 'backer with good speed. Reads quickly, fills fast and shows the ability to blow up run plays in the backfield. Drops smoothly in coverage and is athletic enough to stick with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Solid tackler that consistently wraps the ball carrier.

Weaknesses

Does not have the strength to take on blockers, struggles to shed quickly and gets lost in traffic too often. Over-aggressive at times and is vulnerable to play fakes. Struggles to break down ball carriers in space. Inconsistent motor prevents him from getting to the quarterback when blitzing. Has some character concerns.

And yet another college player with a marijuana possession charge.

Sturdivant's ceiling >>>> Muckelroy's ceiling

Clearly a matter of opinion. Muck was quite the player in college himself and was drafted 2 rounds higher then Quan.

Muck has been on this squad since some time last year and is penciled in as London'd back-up.

That said, to my eye he needs to show better in the upcoming preseason games then he did against the Titans.

I'm interested to see what Quan brings to the table.

Depth at ILB is an area I'm not sure about right now.

Clearly a matter of opinion. Muck was quite the player in college himself and was drafted 2 rounds higher then Quan.

Yeah but they weren't in the same class, silly.

Muck has been on this squad since some time last year and is penciled in as London'd back-up.

I was excited when we got Muck last year, I mentioned when we signed him that I was pissed when we drafted Perry Riley ahead of Rod, lol.  I'm with you.

That said, to my eye he needs to show better in the upcoming preseason games then he did against the Titans.

I'm interested to see what Quan brings to the table.

Depth at ILB is an area I'm not sure about right now.

It's a shame that we can't PS Quan, but we'll see how it plays out.  His back is up against the wall and I think we are reasonably where we are going to be for the season already at ILB barring a surprise cut.

My comment about their ceilings was more in terms of what Quan can do physically... it dwarfs what Muck can do (as all of the draft grades and reports say).  But what they also say, I mentioned as well, and that's that he has a lot of bad habits.  And playing with three other 1st and 2nd round picks in your triangle in Quinn, Austin, and Carter only hindered those bad habits.

We'll see though.  I think it's a strong pick up but realizing we can't PS him I'm not expecting him to make the 53, but I'm certainly rooting for him.

My comment about their ceilings was more in terms of what Quan can do physically... it dwarfs what Muck can do

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roddrick-muckelroy?id=496945

6'2" Height

• 32 1/2" Arm Length
  • 246LBS. Weight
  • 9 1/4" Hands

Overview

Muckelroy has an excellent combination of size, strength and athleticism for the linebacker position. Muckelroy is a hard-nosed high energy athlete that plays with great instincts and discipline within the Longhorns defensive scheme. He uses his hands well to control and separate from blockers which allow him to maintain great leverage as a run defender. He understands angles and run fits in the Texas 4-3 front. Muckelroy is a solid coverage defender as he understands route progressions along with enough agility, quickness and speed to be effective in combination zone schemes. He doesn’t possess elite range but his quickness, balance and instincts get him to the ball regularly. Muckelroy is an excellent football player with versatility and enough tools to have an impact in his rookie season.

Analysis

Strengths Muckelroy has the size, strength and athleticism you look for in a 4-3 outside linebacker. Was a highly productive player in college. Possesses rare instincts when diagnosing the play. Plays with outstanding toughness flying around to the football. Has tremendous work ethic and leadership skills that coaches love to see in their linebackers.                            

Weaknesses

Durability concerns early in his career are the only true red flags when evaluating Muckelroy. At times, can have trouble disengaging from blockers. Can be engulfed by bigger lineman at the point of attack. Is not a real striker as a tackler. Doesn’t have elite speed but makes up for it with his instincts.

BTW-

What makes Quan in-eligible for the PS?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roddrick-muckelroy?id=496945

BTW-

What makes Quan in-eligible for the PS?

You get two year of eligibility for the pracitice squad OR no more than 8 games accrued on an active roster.  Quan was on the PS with AZ in 2011 and with KC last year.

Now, I don't know if they are going to pro-rate his time in KC since it wasn't a full year, but by the letter of the way it's written in the rulebook he's no eligible.

If there's a way to litigate around it I have full confidence in my UVA Law School Grad General Manager :)

You get two year of eligibility for the pracitice squad OR no more than 8 games accrued on an active roster.  Quan was on the PS with AZ in 2011 and with KC last year.

Now, I don't know if they are going to pro-rate his time in KC since it wasn't a full year, but by the letter of the way it's written in the rulebook he's no eligible.

Do  you know how long he was on KC's PS?  If he was there for less then 3 games he's still eligible.

Do  you know how long he was on KC's PS?  If he was there for less then 3 games he's still eligible.

They signed him after they cut B. Kehl.  Which I believe we picked Kehl up right before the Giants game last year.  So four or five games if he was PS'd right away.

Archived