Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alfred Morris: 'I'm Still Not The Starter'

What a class act; this kid is showing modesty and still carrying that determined feeling he still has something to prove. I can't recall a better group of rookies from one draft class like RG3, Cousins, Morris, and Crawford.

I wish I could say the same for the whole class and I'm really disappointed in LeRibeus at this stage when he came in out of shape and then, no surprise, suffered a groin injury. The jury is still out on Compton and Gettis but less on Compton who is looking to be more of a solid backup than a starter.

Yeah Dorell, Xavior is #61 and if you notice he sits much further back off the line and in a more noticeable angle facing the outside than other Tackles. This awkward stance is what led to the penalty calling back that nice TD by Lance Lewis. Part of it was Lewis who was not close enough to the line himself. However, you normally expect the Tackle to play directly off the line and not behind it. I believe Xavior is so far back to compensate for pass protection issues. The guy is raw but I figure the staff likes his wide wing span and athletic ability. Xavior needs a year at least to learn more technique and build up strength (i.e. like Compton last season). I hope he doesn’t end up being another Stephan Hoyer.

LeRibeus did the same thing early in college he did coming into training camp where he came in overweight. His potential and size is a huge step up from Lich'. But how much more tolerate should the staff be with him? He's a 3rd round selection which I think may buy him another season if he can catch up. However, he lost his chance to overtake Lich and he is now just another backup. If this happens again next season then I wouldn't even let him back on the field in TC. I'd have the pink slip hanging in his locker day 1. 

You have to love this kids mind set, a coach's dream. "Hey coach, what do I need to work on in the off season" "Well son, better pass blocking and catching the ball would not hurt" "OK, coach, see you in July". The 2nd best rusher in the NFL for 2012 and he states " I am not the starter yet, I still have to prove that I belong here". And the best thing is, he really does seem to believe that. Mr. Morris, you are a football player that I will not soon forget! (Rookies, follow this guys lead and have a great year).

well one thing that troubles me is,why would he think that ,

Morris is THE starter ,even if Helu does well he seems to be the back up.

we seem to have log jam with Morris,Helu,,and Royster how many roster spots are left at RB 

WR have big log jam but seem to have less spots open .

who stays and goes at RB and WR?

we seem to have log jam with Morris,Helu,,and Royster how many roster spots are left at RB 

Hail Hail(sorry been wanting to say that)- as I see the rb situation, we keep A.M., Helu, Royster and 1 more. Now that 1 more we don't know yet because he hasn't played yet which makes me think #4 goes to practice squad.

I think Morris's attitude about not being a starter is merely a mindset to not take the #1 rb position for granted and stay hungry, keep improving, as opposed to feeling entitled with a big man on campus attitude, which is much better I'm sure you'll agree.

Hail Hail(sorry been wanting to say that)- as I see the rb situation, we keep A.M., Helu, Royster and 1 more. Now that 1 more we don't know yet because he hasn't played yet which makes me think #4 goes to practice squad.

I think Morris's attitude about not being a starter is merely a mindset to not take the #1 rb position for granted and stay hungry, keep improving, as opposed to feeling entitled with a big man on campus attitude, which is much better I'm sure you'll agree.

yep i agree ,it is probably the mindset to stay hungry and not be complacent!!!

Hail Hail - I have to agree with hawk. AM is just a humble guy. He is making the point that he is not taking him being the starer for granted. This is a very good mindset in a MS backfield. MS will go with the hot hand, period. It's not good to get complacent.

As for roster spots - I am still not sure both Helu and Royster make it, but assuming they do, that leaves 1 spot. I believe it will Jamison with Thompson going on IR. I don't think he makes it to the PS. There is too much potential for people not to take a shot at him.

At WR - I see it as - Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hank are in. MS has shown he will keep 8 Wr but I think this year it will be 7. So in order here is who I have -

5. A Robinson (I know he had a bad game but the coaches really like him and he has a huge upside.

6. Skye Dawson - Loves this kids speed. If he can get on the returns teams he is in.

7. Nick Williams/Donte Stallworth - The coaches will probably keep Stallworth. I would keep Williams. - I like this kids up side. He is tough and can get open. I just hope he gets enough chances.

8. Briscoe - He can't drop passes. If he can stop dropping key passes he could be a very good receiver but he can't seem to hold onto the ball.

I just don't see Devry Henderson making the team. He and Stallworth will be out there is someone gets injured. Let's go with the young guys.

Just to reiterate what has been said already Morris IS a humble guy. & JD & Goskins are right, Morris considering himself not the starter is just his mind set. Being drafted in the 6th after 13...14 other RBs went just adds fuel to his fire. IMO that's what drives him. Even though SR. goes with the hot hand we all know Morris IS the starter. Either Helu Jr., Royster or one of the rookies will be his backup. It's as simple as that. Oh...& one more thing....Helu Jr. needs to get his hair cut.

HTTR!!!

Just to reiterate what has been said already Morris IS a humble guy. & JD & Goskins are right, Morris considering himself not the starter is just his mind set. Being drafted in the 6th after 13...14 other RBs went just adds fuel to his fire. IMO that's what drives him. Even though SR. goes with the hot hand we all know Morris IS the starter. Either Helu Jr., Royster or one of the rookies will be his backup. It's as simple as that. Oh...& one more thing....Helu Jr. needs to get his hair cut.

HTTR!!!

Hahahha Bro he think he's pretty , And yeah he need it cut , Like a moth ago . lol

Just to reiterate what has been said already Morris IS a humble guy. & JD & Goskins are right, Morris considering himself not the starter is just his mind set. Being drafted in the 6th after 13...14 other RBs went just adds fuel to his fire. IMO that's what drives him. Even though SR. goes with the hot hand we all know Morris IS the starter. Either Helu Jr., Royster or one of the rookies will be his backup. It's as simple as that. Oh...& one more thing....Helu Jr. needs to get his hair cut. HTTR!!! Hahahha Bro he think he's pretty , And yeah he need it cut , Like a moth ago . lol

What about Merriweather, Phillip Thomas, Gomes, and others? You can't even see the name on the back of their jersey, and maybe that would be enough for the league to step in and make them wear a hairnet, love to hear the players assc. get that referendum,haha!

Hail 28 - Nice response from RGIII. He has said it a few times. It's amazing all these people who can't wait to try and make some drama out of a non-issue. McNabb is trying to make himself relevant so he can get in the HOF. I don't think he makes it.

Hail 10, I don't think he makes HOF. I think he is just trying to get under the Shanahans skin and RG3 wants nothing to do with him.

whats your thoughts on this MS and RG3 thing with when he can play?  Looks like RG3 don't trust mike maybe and then you have to add how KC has played?

I agree that we probably only go with 7 WRs this season in order to retain 4 TEs. Even if Pauls fails to perform like Shannon Sharpe as MS has been hoping, the kid is a standout special teams player. Also, I read reports that he has a done a much better job catching the ball in TC as a TE. It was reported that Niles needed to adjust to running shorter routes where the passes come much faster/harder. I'm not sure if this means the next coming of Shannon Sharpe which seems like a big reach. However, he seems to be improving and I hope we can see that in upcoming preseason games. I'd love to see Paul in the backfield behind Griffin and AM. Niles may not have a great history of catching the ball but he is fast/strong and probably faster than all WRs other than Alderick Robinson.

As for the starting 7; I project Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, Robinson, Moss, Lewis, and possibly Sky Sawson assuming he beats out Crawford as a returner; otherwise Stallworth may get the last spot. Lance Lewis is making a bunch of noise in TC. The word is he has a very good grasp of ths system benefiting from a second season and has performed very well in camp. Stallworth has been slowed by a hamstring so maybe he could buy some time on IR. Shanahan seems to be real high on him which will make it a hard cut.

There are 29 guys who have to be CUT and a place for 8 guys on PS, but I think GM has a plan to use the I/R to stash players he doesn't want to risk to other teams. Remember, we have $18 million dollars in the bank due to the Cap Space NFL fine. What if we use that money to pay the guys on I/R instead of cutting or PS them? Most teams will not keep (I/R) non- starters or lower round draft picks due to the extra cost (as you must pay them). Most teams do the injury settlement thing and just allow the player to leave. This year we seem to have a ton of Offensive guys who could be up againist the numbers game. With the extra money we were not allowed to use to sign free agents, we use to place guys on I/R and keep until next years mini camp. Everyone of these guys will have some Boo Boo that allows them to be on I/R. Wouldn't that just kick the NFL in the butt if we kept 7 or 8 guys in house for next year and away from other teams by using the money they said we could not use on Free Agents! With the new practice rules, it is harder for younger guys to prove they belong, this would gave 7 or 8 guys more time to develop and give use edge in 2014. Just trying to find a way to kick the NFL back for the Cap Space fine!

Archived