Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports (AP): RG3 set for 1st 11-on-11 work at Redskins camp

Jumbo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rg3-set-1st-11-11-161805904--nfl.html

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Robert Griffin III says the plan is for him to take part in his first 11-on-11 drills at Washington Redskins training camp on Tuesday.

Griffin calls it a ''new phase'' in his return from knee surgery. And he unveiled a new hairdo - cornrows instead of dreadlocks - to go along with it.

Griffin has been kept out of full team drills by coach Mike Shanahan. The quarterback says he still doesn't fully understand why the coach is being so restrictive, but he says he's going along with the plan as long as it leads to him starting in the regular season opener.

Griffin says he's still lobbying to play in the preseason, hoping to turn the coach's ''hard no'' into a ''soft no.''

"The quarterback says he still doesn't fully understand why the coach is being so restrictive..."

^^Fabricated or real, or to what degree of either, I think the theme of "bumpiness" between MS & RG3 is one that's sticking. Wins solve everything, of course.

This was said in another thread, but it is worth repeating: Shanahan is doing what everyone in the media said he needs to do, which is take Griffin along slowly. Knowing Griffin's competitiveness, he wants to get on the field. Any starter worth his salt will say he wants to be on the field.

So why is Shanahan catching flak? Because people want to create controversy.

Seven months ago: Shanahan should bench RG3 for the entire 2013 season, even after they say he's 100% healthy. You know, just in case he isn't 100% 100% healthy.

Now: How dare Shanahan hold RG3 out of 11 on 11 drills until preseason!

Griff is a fierce competitor.  Everything he's saying shows that.  Mike may not be 100% happy with what he's saying but he HAS to love his attitude.  That's why it's easy for Mike to ignore the comments and see the underlying desire to get out there and play.   

As if on cue:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rg3-set-1st-11-11-161805904--nfl.html

Redskins' Shanahan nixes RG3's latest lobbying

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- The opposing wills of a headstrong coach and an equally headstrong franchise player faced off again Monday, with Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan rebuffing Robert Griffin III's latest lobbying effort to play in the preseason.

Shanahan also said he has no private deal with Griffin about playing in Week 1 of the regular season, as implied by the quarterback. As far as Griffin's statements about neither liking nor fully understanding Shanahan's practice plan for the QB, the coach reiterated that it's not his job to do everything to Griffin's liking.

''First of all, I love it when somebody wants to play, I love it when somebody wants to be out there,'' Shanahan said. ''That's a good problem to have as a head coach. But my job is to make sure we do the best thing for Robert. ... Not to necessarily to do what he likes, but to do what's the best thing for him and this organization.

''My job is to get him ready for the first game, and that's what we're hoping can do.''

Doesn't seem like any real (if any) actual problems to me, just the theme humming along...

I liked Cooley's take on this on the new radio show: Shanahan and Robert have an agreement that they can say whatever it is they want to say, and cause as much confusion as possible.  

Whatever.  I actually trust Shanahan more than Griffin now with this whole situation.  I love that Robert wants to get out there and compete.  I also love that Shanahan is going to do it his way, and not because of the blame he might take in the media, but the man KNOWS that his best chance to win is with Robert ON the field long term.  Screw the media nonsense.  Anybody who thinks that Shanahan doesn't want Robert on the field is a moron.  And anybody who thinks that Shanahan is stupid enough to rush him out to possibly lose him again doesn't realize that would be a "termination for cause" type of decision. And, the side effect, he hurts his own chances to be successful. 

And everything else is pre-season media nonsense. 

We (as Skins fans) live & sometimes die over words in pressers.  Blame can be placed absolutely everywhere.

Now, let's get back to winning!  We're already on our way...

Of course, Robert wants to play.  Who wouldn't, if that's what you do?  He's been a superstar since HS, and he's used to being the face of his team, no matter which one it is.  He's proven his worth...7 straight wins to end the season...holy.  Got us to the playoffs.  If he didn't want to play...well, that would shock the crap outta me & I'd sell my jersey.  (I might've gone too far there...)

Shanny's gonna keep him out for the preseason.  OK.  I mentioned it first in another thread...I don't care as long as he's healthy and ready to win the games that count.

Hail!

..... Shanny's gonna keep him out for the preseason.  OK.  I mentioned it first in another thread...I don't care as long as he's healthy and ready to win the games that count.

Hail!

I'd still rather EVERY player be battle tested in actual games rather than practice but 10 is that special a dude I don't have any undue concerns either if he just tips up Week 1 back in the starting XI.

Hail. 

..... Shanny's gonna keep him out for the preseason.  OK.  I mentioned it first in another thread...I don't care as long as he's healthy and ready to win the games that count.

Hail!

I'd still rather EVERY player be battle tested in actual games rather than practice but 10 is that special a dude I don't have any undue concerns either if he just tips up Week 1 back in the starting XI.

Hail. 

There's a highlight reel of his sophomore year of HS...I trust his ability without question.  It's just the knee now.  And after seeing the cuts & turns from Thursday night's walkthrough, I'll be nervous but confident week 1...a little like my QB.

Hail!

On CBS Sports Radio this morning they were discussing RGIII's health and long term durability. It was mostly negative stuff and I eventually turned it off. However one caller from Texas said something that I'm not sure about. He said he's followed RGIII his entire collegiate and pro career. And he clearly stated that this is his THIRD major knee injury. He said RGIII "tore his knee up" in track and field prior to the two football related injuries. None of the hosts refuted this. Does anyone know anything about this? Has he really had 3 major knee injuries?

Archived