Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who else has decided to jump on the read option bandwagon?

End2round2sanders

It's insane today watching these preseason games how many more teams have jumped on the bandwagon and are running it now..

So far teams that ran that have run it this preseason, that and or the Pistol:

New England

Philly (Of course)

KC

Denver

Baltimore did it was well yesterday

Oakland-Raider fans are salivating over Terrell Pryor's execution of it as he's running it as well today ( I know it's preseason).

I have to say it fun and humbling to watch this transition in the league and it brings a sense of pride knowing we were one of the first teams to break it into the NFL.

I wonder how many college coaches had to deal with their phones screaming off the hook from NFL coaches who wanted to incorporate it into their game plan if they had a QB who could run it.

I know its preseason and who knows what teams will make it a real part of their offense but still, anywho, if I missed any other new team that's decided to run this offense in the past couple of days feel free to correct me.

Glad football is back..

I love how Shanahan said that they don't need to use it as much this season since they used it so much last season, and because of that teams will prep for the read option regardless, so even if they don't run it at all, opposing teams' practice time will be taken up for defending the read option.

With more teams running it, defenses will practice for it more and more. However, I think the Redskins read option has just enough wrinkles in it that teams will HAVE to practice for it when they play us, specifically for our read option. Thankfully, RG3's intelligence and decision making is not something teams can just practice for, and that is the difference maker. I think we'll see the standard runs, play actions for 20-40 yards, read options, wr screens, and bootlegs this season. We will run them extremely efficiently and it will be slick and crisp as hell. That will be more than enough to get us into the playoffs, which is where we will have a little more fun with playcalling.

The Kirk Cousins offense we saw during preseason was ****ing efficient as hell, and adding RG3's speed and the read option to the mix will make it so dangerous. 

It's not having the read option, it's having RG3.  I'll be impressed when someone else lines up in the pistol a lot with a quarterback who can do everything.  And you can't forget the run game as well.  Alfred Morris is the reason Demarcus Ware looked like a fool, not just RG3's crazy sleight of hand...which the 'copycat' QBs don't have.

So congratulations Pryor on the neat-o runs lol.  And the thing is, it's just a play, it's not 'an offense'.  Other teams may mishandle it/use it too much, if anything.  Oh, and their QBs will take a lot of contact and hits (russell wilson) but no one will say they're being too risky etc like RG3.  Until, perhaps, a defensive tackle lands on their leg.

It's not having the read option, it's having RG3.  I'll be impressed when someone else lines up in the pistol a lot with a quarterback who can do everything.  And you can't forget the run game as well.  Alfred Morris is the reason Demarcus Ware looked like a fool, not just RG3's crazy sleight of hand...which the 'copycat' QBs don't have.

So congratulations Pryor on the neat-o runs lol.  And the thing is, it's just a play, it's not 'an offense'.  Other teams may mishandle it/use it too much, if anything.  Oh, and their QBs will take a lot of contact and hits (russell wilson) but no one will say they're being too risky etc like RG3.  Until, perhaps, a defensive tackle lands on their leg.

The funny thing is, with as many valid points as you have, the Raiders were still able to run it with ease against the Cowboys. Now compare that with how effective we run it. Good luck keeping up with us, Dallas.

I noticed it. bah. like said here, we have RG3, that's the difference. I'm sure Shanahan didn't rest on last year and is implementing new things even still teams haven't seen.

Also of all the other QB's I've watched, Robert has the best fake hand off/play action look I've seen. It's slight of hand stuff. You swear it's in the gut of the RB and he comes out cleanly with the ball to throw or run it himself.

The funny thing is, with as many valid points as you have, the Raiders were still able to run it with ease against the Cowboys. Now compare that with how effective we run it. Good luck keeping up with us, Dallas.

Honestly, I think we could make Demarcus Ware look just as stupid doing that, at least 4 more games in a row lol.  He simply has no choice vs RG3 and Morris.  But vs whoever, and whoever else, maybe players adapt.  They're behind the 8-ball vs the Skins when it comes to that play.  Everyone is.  

Yeah, at least to my un-expert opinion, EXECUTING it might be a lot tougher in reality than in practice.

I mean, when I heard media talking about "well, the QB puts the ball in the RBs gut, and when he does it, neither the RB nor the QB knows if he's gonna take the ball back", I assumed they were making **** up. I mean, that sounded like a recipe for how to have 4-5 fumbles a game, and probably one of them is gonna be 7 for the defense.

Makes me think we must have some crazy exotic personnel, to be able to do that, and not fumble.

I just watched the Eagles Patriots game and the Eagles ran quite a bit of read option. Even Barkley kept one and ran round LE!

I would say what you see in preseason is not what you see in regular season though ......

Just on the Eagles, they ran a bunch of play action off read option looks, just like we did last year and even though it is preseason I think that's what they are trying to do on offense, run it and then get play action. Lots of short passes, some bombs but not a lot of intermediate throws.

On defense they were flat terrible against the run - RGIII might not need to throw a pass when we play them in the opener .....

I noticed it. bah. like said here, we have RG3, that's the difference. I'm sure Shanahan didn't rest on last year and is implementing new things even still teams haven't seen.

Also of all the other QB's I've watched, Robert has the best fake hand off/play action look I've seen. It's slight of hand stuff. You swear it's in the gut of the RB and he comes out cleanly with the ball to throw or run it himself.

That's because it normally is in the gut of the running back before he pulls it back to himself. I was shocked we didn't have more botched plays because of that actually. It's masterful the way he pulls that off. I see Larry has made the same observation I have.

They may be able to keep up, because our defense not showing signs of stoping the run. I know it's preseason, but I want to see more three and outs.

The thing with RG3 in particular is, as has been alluded, he is amazing at the ball fake.

The other thing is he ALWAYS makes the right read based on what the DE is doing. There never was an instance where he kept the ball where he should have handed it off or vice versa.

Us and the 49ers will be able to execute this offense at a far higher level then any other NFL team

Peyton Manning ran a play out of the pistol tonight in their game.

It will allow him to run play-action to either side out of shotgun. Or run more effectively out of shotgun. Honestly, why didn't they think of that before? He won't run a read-option play out of it, but damn, can really help a QB as smart as Manning keep defenses on their heals.

Seriously. Even though Warren Sapp said that the defense looked ok, I thought that the Dallas defense looked pretty "eh, whatever."

I never understood why the pistol formation wasn't used much in the NFL.  It seemed as good of a formation as any. 

Yeah, I don't know why. Makes sense. Wishbone is next.

The Jets were talking about running it with Geno Smith. 

butt fumble 2 coming up.

The thing with RG3 in particular is, as has been alluded, he is amazing at the ball fake.

The other thing is he ALWAYS makes the right read based on what the DE is doing. There never was an instance where he kept the ball where he should have handed it off or vice versa.

Us and the 49ers will be able to execute this offense at a far higher level then any other NFL team

And he is about as accurate as Aaron Rogers to boot.

That's because it normally is in the gut of the running back before he pulls it back to himself. I was shocked we didn't have more botched plays because of that actually. It's masterful the way he pulls that off. I see Larry has made the same observation I have.

This is what surprised me as well. I expected to see a few botched handoffs/fumbles last season because of that, but don't recall a single time. Hell I remember one time early in the season the rb was on the wrong side and RG3 had to do a complete 360 to hand the ball off and still managed to do it with no fumble.

He took the ball, held it out to the left, realized there was no back there and quickly spun around and handed it off.. was pretty nice to see :)

Archived