Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. reports malaria vaccine breakthrough

@DCGoldPants

Science

U.S. reports malaria vaccine breakthrough

(CNN) -- U.S. researchers say they've successfully tested a vaccine for malaria on a small group of volunteers and hope to conduct large-scale tests soon.
The vaccine involves multiple, intravenous injections of a weakened form of the disease, scientists from the National Institutes of Health, the Navy, Army and other organizations reported Thursday. Though the results were promising, more extensive field testing will be required, the researchers wrote.
The mosquito-borne tropical disease kills about 1 million people a year and sickens more than 200 million. Dr. William Schaffner, head of the preventive medicine department at Vanderbilt University's medical school, called the results "a scientific advance" -- but it may be eight to 10 years before the vaccine can be scientifically proven, approved and distributed.
"This is not a vaccine that's ready for travelers to the developing world anytime soon," Schaffner told CNN. "However, from the point of view of science dealing with one of the big three infectious causes of death around the world, it's a notable advance. And everybody will be holding their breath, watching to see whether this next trial works and how well it works."
The findings were published Thursday by the peer-reviewed journal Science. The trials involved 57 subjects, including 40 who received the vaccine, between October 2011 to October 2012.
Researchers reported that the six volunteers who received five intravenous doses of the vaccine did not contract malaria when exposed to the microscopic parasite. Of the nine who received four doses, three contracted the disease.
Schaffner, who was not part of the study, said previous attempts using injections into skin or muscle didn't work. Multiple, intravenous injections are "a heck of a way" to administer a vaccine, but "desperate times call for desperate measures," he said.

Malaria prevention is a personal cause of mine. Shameless plug, but consider donating to Against MalariaIt buys mosquito nets for people around the world. $3 buys a net and 100% of your donation goes toward a net, not overhead. Currently, the net is the best avenue for prevention.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful about the prospect of a vaccine. 

One step at a time, let's get a vaccine then worry about distribution. Distribution sometimes isn't even the main problem when it comes to eradication—see polio, measles—other factors confound the eradication process.

Is this the biggest medical news of the year? I know. I know. It's 5 injections and it's probably a decade away from the ability to mass produce it, but in a decade who is to say they won't have improved the vaccine. The Nobel prize is rarely to the one who makes the final product. It's this type of research which paves the way for the earth altering to come. A vaccine for malaria is a huge goal, and the first steps are grand accomplishments.

Malaria prevention is a personal cause of mine. Shameless plug, but consider donating to Against Malaria. It buys mosquito nets for people around the world. $3 buys a net and 100% of your donation goes toward a net, not overhead. Currently, the net is the best avenue for prevention.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful about the prospect of a vaccine.

One step at a time, let's get a vaccine then worry about distribution. Distribution sometimes isn't even the main problem when it comes to eradication—see polio, measles—other factors confound the eradication process.

What do you see as the main problem to eradication of these diseases? My experience with these types of global health problems has been overcoming the lack of funds necessary to make inoculation pushes in addition to establishing consistent government buy-in to these types of campaigns. Of course there are other many other factors such as a local resistance to "western" medications/vaccines based on superstitious beliefs and poor infrastructure in place for distribution, particularly in the more remote regions.

This is not to say there is not hope for the vaccine; my comment about mefloquine was obviously in jest (I hate taking that stuff). However, right now I'm more hopeful about bed netting distribution and vector elimination, both of which seem to be fairly successful and cost-effective preventive measures.

It's a start, I can dig it. Kinda rolled my eyes at the comment of being ready for travelers to 3rd world countries. First people in line to get this when its ready are the people who actually LIVE in those third world countries, imo...

The problem with this is that the people in the developing world will likely not have the funds necessary to purchase a novel vaccine.

Archived