Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football! Redskins vs Titans: What are you looking for?

darrelgreenie

I'm excited because I want to see our 2nd & 3rd stringers play. See what our depth is like.

O-line : See if Compton, Gettis and Lerib can handle their assignments well.

WR: See what Dez Briscoe & Skye Dawson can do if our offense.

DL: See if Merling and Brace are worth a backup spot.

LBs: Last year Kehl played well, hopefully someone stands out from our crowded backups (Muckleroy, Elmore or Tapp)

Secondary: Ditto what others said about our rookies but also would like to see what Biggers can do.

I'm hoping Tydus Winans emerges as a deep threat-- he showed some flashes in the past. I will also be looking hard at Sterling Palmer and Dexter Nottage--- we need more of a pass rush this year for sure. I am not thrilled with Stanley Richard, so I'll be keeping an eye on Darryl Morrison to see if he can push him. And I think it's a toss up between Kris Heppner and Ali Haji-Sheik.

For real....

I think it's fun to breakdown the roster before the first pre-season game, make a few predictions, and then revisit it after the last pre-season game/cuts to see how close I was. My positional analysis:

QB: As strong here as any team in the league. I think Cousins can start for a dozen teams right now and he and RG3 have obviously both just started tapping into their potential. Sexy is probably the best third string QB since Steve Bono. It seems he likes being a Redskin quite a bit-- no idea why he decided to come back when I'm sure he could be a #2 somewhere else-- or even see the field in a place like Arizona or Buffalo. I'd like RG to take a few preseason snaps, but it doesn't really matter. I am confident he will be set on 9-9. Good opportunity here for Cousins to start four straight games and get some real quality reps.

RB: I'd be fine if Morris sat out the entire pre-season as well. He has zero to prove. I'd keep his touches very limited. He will take enough of a beating in the regular season. RB is a position of instinct, so I don't worry at all about shaking off rust, etc. The battle for the second and third back is wide open. I do not like Royster at all. I hope the other guys we've brought in are good enough to push him off the roster. Helu seems like an ideal #2, but the injury history is concerning and we know Shanny has no problem bumping a RB if someone shines in pre-season. Keiland Williams, Jamison, and Thompson will all get a shot to impress. My gut tells me that they'd like Helu to win the #2 job and either Thompson or Jamison to make the team as well.

WR: Garcon and Morgan are the only two who's roles seem totally set to me. Garcon is going to be the #1 guy. His foot still makes me a bit nervous, but nothing you can do about that. He's another guy I'd limit greatly in pre-season. I think I'd let all the other WR's duke it out. Morgan is going to be a solid possession type guy. His playing time seems set to me. From there, I think it's open. Santana has earned the right to start the year as the top slot threat and I doubt anyone seriously pushes him there. Huge pre-season for Hank and Robinson. I've heard Aldrick's name more than any other so far this camp. He might be the fastest guy on the team-- if he can find a way to get open consistently, then there's your extra threat you've been looking for. Hank needs to step up. If he is shaky this pre-season and if one of the other guys looks good I wouldn't be shocked if we cut him. But I do think he is very talented and I'm hoping he plays well enough so that isn't an issue. I've also always kind of liked Dez Briscoe so I'll be watching for him as well. I believe we have three additional rookie WR's in camp, and I think there is an opening there for a roster spot for one of them potentially.

TE: Davis is the clear starter and another guy you don't play much in the pre-season. Paulsen is a shoe-in to make it as the blocker/short yardage guy. I don't think Paul is a lock to make the team-- disappointing year last year especially after the Davis injury-- Paulsen was more of threat than Paul. Jordan Reed is there to push him, but I'm also not sure how they plan to use Reed-- they might play him more as a WR.

Bottom line out of WR/TE I would love for one more guy to really step up and become a major threat. We know what we have with Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Davis, and Paulsen. It would be great if one more guy emerged as a consistently viable target-- and I don't care who it is. I think Allen and Shan have done a good job bringing in legit talent in this area. I don't think these guys are like the roster fodder we had for so many years.

Offensive Line: Biggest strength on the team. Love the starting five. We got lucky last year that they were so durable. But I also think over the past three years we've added quality depth. Compton, Leribus, and Gettis, are all guys that appear to have real potential as starters in the NFL. Pashos and Trueblood will hopefully push Polumbus and I think one of those guys makes the team either as a starter or backup. The undrafted kid out of FSU also sounds intriguing (Nixon). I love this bunch and think we are as solid and prepared for injury on the line as any team in the NFL can be.

Very good overall talent on offense. I'd say definitely in the top 10 in the league, and probably closer to top 5. Lots of depth, except at RB -- and if Helu is healthy we are good there. Cousins is as good of an insurance policy for RG as we could ask for. I see a small opening for one more playmaker to emerge and possibly one more offensive lineman. Those are the two things I'm watching for in pre-season on offense. Keep the entrenched guys on the sidelines as much as possible.

well it seems to me that the question of this thread is not "would you like to see no injuries" but many of you have answered that question. Not to sound critical or condescending but "duh:...I think that we would all like to exit ALL games with no injures. But with that said....

I'll play the game most of you are playing. For my top 10 I want to see:

1) NO INJURIES

2) Kirk Cousins throw 3 TD passes

3) Brandon Jenkins with 3 sacks

4) Young guys in the secondary intercept balls and cause fumbles and cover

5) the offensive line plays well and blocks well

6) the young running backs gain 200 yards

7) the backup linebackers stuff the run

8) the special teams return a punt and a kickoff for a TD

9) the receivers dominate and the Niles Paul catch 5 passes and a TD

10) want to see if Baker can shut down the left side of the field and put pressure on the QB

Did you guys see our sub formation on the first third down the Titan's had (3rd and 8 to be exact)? Wow!

We had Orakpo and Brandon Jenkins on the edges, with Kerrigan and Bowen lined up inside. Orakpo was double teamed but got there so fast Locker had to step up right into Jenkins and Kerrigan, with Kerrigan finishing the play.

But, ANY of them would've sacked Locker on that play. The pocket collapsed almost immediately. I was at a loss of words, lol.

I think that combination might just be deadly this season on passing downs. And Orakpo looks incredible by the way... haven't seen him this fast, powerful and shifty. Yeesh. So excited.

Did you guys see our sub formation on the first third down the Titan's had (3rd and 8 to be exact)? Wow!

We had Orakpo and Jenkins on the edges, with Kerrigan and Bowen lined up inside. Orakpo was double teamed but got there so fast Locker had to step up right into Jenkins and Kerrigan, with Kerrigan finishing the play.

But, ANY of them would've sacked Locker on that play. The pocket collapsed almost immediately. I was at a loss of words, lol.

I think that combination might just be deadly this season on passing downs. And Orakpo looks inc,redible by the way... haven't seen him this fast, powerful and shifty. Yeesh. So excited.

I saw that too. Rak just drove their LT back. On his sack he did a nifty speed rush. Yes. Nifty.

^^ Rak looked awesome, honestly. To see how fast he gets off the snap was a thing of beauty.

And Kerrigan lining up inside and shoving a guard back to get the sack was awesome.

You have to think the coaches wanted to see how Brandon Jenkins, Orakpo, and Kerrigan would do on an obvious passing down lined up together and then saw that and were like "whaaaaaaa!?"

Rak was bring the heat last night.

^^ Rak looked awesome, honestly. To see how fast he gets off the snap was a thing of beauty.

And Kerrigan lining up inside and shoving a guard back to get the sack was awesome.

You have to think the coaches wanted to see how Brandon Jenkins, Orakpo, and Kerrigan would do on an obvious passing down lined up together and then saw that and were like "whaaaaaaa!?"

Rak was bringing the heat last night, looks 100% healthy. Loved seeing Jenkins out early contributing the pass rush sub-package.

I was really impressed with Captain Kirk and it was a quite a letdown to see Grossman come in so early.  I didn't get a good feeling with Helu running the ball but I guess I got spoiled with Morris being so hard to tackle.  I'm not sure how much better the running game would have been at the beginning if the Skins had been able to play Trent Williams.  Overall, a nice job by the starting offense with good play by most of the receivers.  As much as I like the idea of a speedster like Robinson he still has to step up his game with consistency (easy drops are no longer acceptable).  A few concerns - will LeRib ever step up and justify his draft position? 

Special Teams - a work in progress, not entirely unexpected given the new coach and all the camp fodder.

Defense - I'm crossing my fingers

Archived